Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

A c E posted:

Nthing KeePass.

Though we don't have any issues with cross platform compatibility on 2.x.

CTO uses a Mac, I use Linux and my other coworker is on Windows. We haven't run into any issues there.

Multi user is an issue. We keep our database in subversion so we all have a local copy. It doesn't get updated often, so this has worked well for us.

What were you using for a Mac client? I ran the official 2.0 .NET one with mono, but it sucked. Text fields didn't work properly, crashed easily, ugly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Xequecal posted:

Are backups and restores really that easy? My dad runs the US operations of a German company. Their office only has five people so its not worth it to hire a fulltime IT person, but I'd guess overall about 10% of the total work hours in that office go towards restoring backups due to constant virus/malware problems. It's hard to screen those out when you have tons of legit clients that speak poor English and will actually send one sentence Engrish emails with a self extracting EXE attachment on a regular basis.

If it's a self extracting zip, rar, 7z etc then you can extract them with 7zip or similar instead of just running the thing.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Xequecal posted:

Are backups and restores really that easy? My dad runs the US operations of a German company. Their office only has five people so its not worth it to hire a fulltime IT person, but I'd guess overall about 10% of the total work hours in that office go towards restoring backups due to constant virus/malware problems. It's hard to screen those out when you have tons of legit clients that speak poor English and will actually send one sentence Engrish emails with a self extracting EXE attachment on a regular basis.

Wait, what?

They are spending 2.5 man-days per week, restoring from backup. Every week!?

Xequecal
Jun 14, 2005

spog posted:

Wait, what?

They are spending 2.5 man-days per week, restoring from backup. Every week!?

They had some outside company come in and set up a Windows Server workstation and created accounts on it for all five of them. It also does automatic backups of their documents folders. Whoever did it gave all five accounts admin access to the server, I don't know if that lets the malware spread over the network from one computer to the other but it's probably possible. Also, the amount of malware they get in their email is unbelievable, and it's impossible to differentiate it from legit stuff. When I get an email that reads something like, "Enclosed find please important document response urgent needed" with an attachment, I'm 99% sure it's a virus. They get emails from customers that look like that all the time.

They actually have anti-virus, but so much poo poo gets thrown against it that eventually stuff gets past. Eventually something gets on there that can kill the anti virus process and it goes downhill from there. It doesn't take long for their computers to be full of programs that insert ad links into web pages, do a fake virus scan and ask for money, redirect firefox to various ad sites whenever you try to navigate anywhere, and so on. Then they have to flatten and reinstall all the machines and then pull the backed up documents back off the server. 10% is an exaggeration as there's obviously other stuff they can do while Windows is reinstalling, but their computers are down a lot.

The last time I was in there when Dad asked me to look at where the problems were coming from, I couldn't get into task manager on any of the machines, (ctrlaltdelete did nothing, trying to run taskmgr from the start menu did nothing either) their antivirus wouldn't start, and I couldn't access the Internet at all without being immediately redirected to some scare site asking for money. I'm not actually an IT professional so I know enough to look through Windows Server and see tons of problems, but don't know enough to actually fix it without spending weeks on it and risking screwing it up even worse.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Just flatten the entire setup and start again with non-admin users and jesus gently caress get something decent filtering the email.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
It sounds like they could use a whitelist filter for emails with attachments.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

An email came in...

quote:

Subject: my new computer moans...

Mmmmmmmmmm …………… mmmmmmmmmmmmmm …………………….. mmmmmmmmmmmm ………………….

Rythmicly.

Any suggestions?

I'm almost afraid to go investigate.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Boogalo posted:

An email came in...

It's just a hosed up fan bearing.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Inspector_666 posted:

It's just a hosed up fan bearing.

An erotic fan bearing.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
He hosed that fan and it's bearing his child

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Thanks Ants posted:

Just flatten the entire setup and start again with non-admin users and jesus gently caress get something decent filtering the email.

Sounds like they need a loving clue.

Do what 'e says and lock it so far down that just opening an email requires an adult to be present.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

teethgrinder posted:

What were you using for a Mac client? I ran the official 2.0 .NET one with mono, but it sucked. Text fields didn't work properly, crashed easily, ugly.

I had the same experience when using it. Took roughly 3-4 minutes to open, then gave the appearance that it was frozen, clicks would take 2 or so minutes to register.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

Boogalo posted:

An email came in...

Crash Test Dummies.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Boogalo posted:

An email came in...

Once, there was this guy who
Started hearing moaning noises coming from his PC
And when, he finally checked it
He found, his coffee mug in the CD tray
He couldn't quite explain it
He'd always just put it theeerrrreeee

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Ozz81 posted:

Once, there was this guy who
Started hearing moaning noises coming from his PC
And when, he finally checked it
He found, his coffee mug in the CD tray
He couldn't quite explain it
He'd always just put it theeerrrreeee

Could be worse, it could be making an mmmmBOP type noise.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
For android, Keepass2Android works great

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I was exchanging emails with a clients IT Manager and this gem popped up.

quote:

I think I'm convinced to move almost all my current statics (printers, servers, storage) over to DHCP but I'll probably get scared and reserve a block of addresses just for static usage.
We were discussing some network changes I recommended and how it would effect our systems during the change over. The place is a absolute mess. As it turns out, he had ALL traffic from VLAN 3 being routed through his PFSENSE firewall to VLAN 1. VLAN 1 holds all their storage/servers/router... (And 200 other devices... can you say flat network?) Moving a 1GB file between the office floors (VLAN1 is floor 1 and VLAN 3 is floor 2) takes about... I don't know, 6 hours? The worst part is all the correct gear is there- HP L3 switches, 10GB fiber between floors, S2K8R2 DHCP.

This is the same fellow who was a network admin for 13 years, but uses consultants to make pretty much any change to the router/switches. I'm going to give him the reason of the doubt here, that it was the consultants that hosed it this bad and he just did not know any better.

Still- How, how did you become the IT Manager for a 200 person company???

:psyduck:

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Was there from the beginning. The role outgrew his skills. No one had the balls to call him on it. He wasn't gonna throw himself under the bus.

Happens all the time.

arnbiguous
Feb 2, 2014
Gary’s Answer

ConfusedUs posted:

Was there from the beginning. The role outgrew his skills. No one had the balls to call him on it. He wasn't gonna throw himself under the bus.

Happens all the time.

This is currently slowly happening to me, except without the money to buy all that fancy expensive crap

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

tehloki posted:

This is currently slowly happening to me, except without the money to buy all that fancy expensive crap

Take some classes man. If you're aware that it's happening you can do something about it.

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

77 tickets came in: I broke production.

Turns out reviewing DB scripts before they go live is actually a good idea. Who knew? :downsgun:

A c E
Jun 18, 2007

Is this weird? Is this too weird? Do you need to sit down?

teethgrinder posted:

I almost forgot to ask but he uses KeePassX. He claims the other one was 'horrid', so I assume that was the one you tried.

Looking at their site, it claims 'KeePassX does not support the KeePass 2.x (.kdbx) password database format currently.', though I created our database with KeePass 2.x. So unless he converted the database without my knowledge, it should work. Our database is saved as .kdbx. :iiam:

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
A recruiter e-mail came in! For a Field Maintenance Technician for some Telecom.

Job requirements are pretty standard, it's in the "Additional Items Required" where it gets fun.

quote:

Additional Items Required to Perform This Job:
Valid driver's license
Personal credit card with a minimum $2,500 limit
Laptop (not provided by Telecommunication)
Cell phone with unlimited text and unlimited calls

High speed internet at home (no dial-up or satellite)

Also Travel: Nationwide, 10-25%. In some instances, travel may be at the last minute and will include weekends. Duration usually 1-3 days at a time.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

pr0digal posted:

A recruiter e-mail came in! For a Field Maintenance Technician for some Telecom.

Job requirements are pretty standard, it's in the "Additional Items Required" where it gets fun.

Also Travel: Nationwide, 10-25%. In some instances, travel may be at the last minute and will include weekends. Duration usually 1-3 days at a time.

That's a hell of the deal on the company posting that. Wonder if you need your own tools as well.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Thel posted:

77 tickets came in: I broke production.

So did I!

At least I did tell the entire dept. and my boss I'm not used to SCCM, but only MDT. And then I went and borked The boundary groups. :ohdear:

Can't deploy OSes to clients now, and even when I removed my change (added the AD to Boundries, removed it again).

Boss said "we'll look at it on Monday, maybe hire a consultant.". And then we all left for the weekend.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Knowing SCCM it will probably just work fine on Monday.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

pr0digal posted:

Can you call the recruiter and just ask about those specifics? I want to hear the reasoning.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

pr0digal posted:

I'll put the over/under on salary at $35k.

BrainBot
Aug 18, 2012

A c E posted:

I almost forgot to ask but he uses KeePassX. He claims the other one was 'horrid', so I assume that was the one you tried.

Looking at their site, it claims 'KeePassX does not support the KeePass 2.x (.kdbx) password database format currently.', though I created our database with KeePass 2.x. So unless he converted the database without my knowledge, it should work. Our database is saved as .kdbx. :iiam:

Kypass Companion is a really nice native implementation of Keepass (e: and supports 2.0 databases), but it does cost $8.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

stubblyhead posted:

I'll put the over/under on salary at $35k.

Five bucks says it's a $15k base salary with commissions depending on number of repairs performed, no overtime allowed.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Inspector_666 posted:

Can you call the recruiter and just ask about those specifics? I want to hear the reasoning.

Most telecoms employ their techs as "independent contractors". This lets them gently caress them on insurance/vacation/etc on one end, and then also on the other end say "Why don't you have your own equipment, aren't you a professional, independent telecom technician?"

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

GreenNight posted:

Knowing SCCM it will probably just work fine on Monday.

If the last three monts wrangling SCCM has taught me anything it's that it will most likely just work on Monday.

..and I'll bang my head against a wall in frustration. Again.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Someone in our training department was being told by staff that they couldn't access a training course on an affiliate's website. She contacted their tech support, who told her that this specific course (other ones launch just fine) had recently been updated and to play it, she would need to use Real Player.

Real Player.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Sirotan posted:

Someone in our training department was being told by staff that they couldn't access a training course on an affiliate's website. She contacted their tech support, who told her that this specific course (other ones launch just fine) had recently been updated and to play it, she would need to use Real Player.

Real Player.

Accompanying sound track can be obtain via Napster.

EDIT:

So I just got praise from my boss because of the security camera system I installed a year ago caught an employee stealing. She was honestly surprised I could go back a month to find it.

The best part? The person caught was the maintenance guy who helped me put the cameras up.

m.hache fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Sep 5, 2014

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

m.hache posted:

The best part? The person caught was the maintenance guy who helped me put the cameras up.

Way back when I worked retail, our manager went on a rampage installing security cameras all over the stock area to prevent theft.

He got busted like 6 months later with over a hundred thousand dollars worth of stolen goods. I don't know if his cameras helped with that or not.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Sirotan posted:

Real Player.

Does Real Player even exist as a video player program anymore? I thought it was like Napster, where the name had be passed around from company to company until someone used it for a product different in everything but name. If you go to real.com now it's a Cloud-based video-sharing app or something. If that's what they're using it's probably not as terrible as you might think.

Unless they're making you go to oldversion.com to get the original Real Player. :stare:

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
A ticket came in! From the same bright bulbs that mucked around with their relational database a few days ago:

quote:

<$CLIENT> is looking for a SQL script that would verify all closed incidents with no "Close Date & Time" values and would need to copy the value from the close action to the Close Date & Time field.

Basically, "write us a SQL script to fix all our issues"!

...I...I don't think they have an onsite DBA, guys. :ohdear:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Entropic posted:

Does Real Player even exist as a video player program anymore? I thought it was like Napster, where the name had be passed around from company to company until someone used it for a product different in everything but name. If you go to real.com now it's a Cloud-based video-sharing app or something. If that's what they're using it's probably not as terrible as you might think.

Unless they're making you go to oldversion.com to get the original Real Player. :stare:

The PC app for "realplayer cloud" is the regular RealPlayer app you know and love* but with built in access to the cloud service as well. It'll even still play all your sweet realaudio music and realvideo TV rips!

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

There's a guy where I work who uses RealPlayer to rip movies from YouTube. I didn't even know it would do that, and I've tried to explain that there are a ton of things that would do that better, but obviously he doesn't listen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Entropic posted:

I honestly think they are confused and meant to say Flash but their email twice mentioned Real Player by name so who knows. I didn't get a chance to look into it before leaving for the day.

• Locked thread