Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

spinst posted:

21 extra hours on my next paycheck. Aw yes. I love the beginning of the school year - so many extra $$ opportunities.

I get this all the time...only without it resulting in more pay...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbsenceVsThinAir
Jan 29, 2007

Maybe you do not even *smell*? That is sad.

*Smelling* *pretty colors* is the best *game*.
Is there a good rule of thumb in terms of blow money vs income? Between my wife and I we make around 160k and we give ourselves 200 bucks each a month of blow. That doesn't include restaurants or maybe some other things people might consider non-necessities.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

AbsenceVsThinAir posted:

Is there a good rule of thumb in terms of blow money vs income? Between my wife and I we make around 160k and we give ourselves 200 bucks each a month of blow. That doesn't include restaurants or maybe some other things people might consider non-necessities.

I'd say it varies depending on your cost of living, life situation, savings and retirement.

We make about 200k, own a house, and put away a significant (20%+) into savings/retirement every month.
We give ourselves a $400/mo allowance each and that works well for us. But we're in an expensive city and carry no real debt aside from a mortgage.

Really though, it depends on the rest of your budget and situation. But $200/mo is pretty darn reasonable if you ask me

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
My blow money every month is like 60-80 bucks max. Last month I went crazy because I brought in three times my normal income due to that severance I got from my last job and I spent a whopping 200.

I live a rather spartan live, honestly.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Walked posted:

Really though, it depends on the rest of your budget and situation. But $200/mo is pretty darn reasonable if you ask me

This seems like a fair view to me. If you're rapidly paying down your debts or don't have any, are adequately saving for retirement/important goals and have a good emergency account, there's nothing wrong with blowing some extra cash on fun. If not, re-evaluate your priorities and spending. :)

AbsenceVsThinAir
Jan 29, 2007

Maybe you do not even *smell*? That is sad.

*Smelling* *pretty colors* is the best *game*.

Sundae posted:

This seems like a fair view to me. If you're rapidly paying down your debts or don't have any, are adequately saving for retirement/important goals and have a good emergency account, there's nothing wrong with blowing some extra cash on fun. If not, re-evaluate your priorities and spending. :)

I think we are, we have some car debt but are otherwise debt free and saving pretty well for retirement. It just feels weird because I could always be saving more.

My wife actually struggles to spend her blow money and ends up just accumulating it. The only thing she would spend on is yarn and other people keep buying it for her. Meanwhile I want steam games, gadgets, toys, streaming music, hobby stuff. I've started to sell stuff I no longer use to supplement the monthly allowance.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Folly posted:

Nah, dialects/accents/speech patterns are regional and cultural more than racial. And unless you're a linguist, you're not going to automatically have a succinct and accepted phrase to say "when people from this region speak, I can identify that it sounds differently than the speech from people in this other region." He's doing the best he can. If you have a better phrase, I'm sure he'd be open to the suggestion.

It's not racist per se to point out that different races have their own cultures and dialects, and often live in a relatively identifiable region. It depends on the context. It's like pointing out that a Ferguson, MO is a mostly black neighborhood. It's probably necessary to point out in the context of the civil unrest going on over there. But it's racist if you bring it up in a discussion about the St. Louis weather forecast. In this context, it's worth mentioning to give a frame of reference to the story.

It's bad for society to overly police racism in this type of discussion. There ARE race relation problems in America. And we're going to have to be able to talk about them if we want to work through them. So when you start calling a guy's speech racist when he's clearly trying to avoid exactly that, and not offering an alternative, then you're shutting down the conversation. That isn't helping.

Race doesn't exist hth.

Edit: What I mean is the phrase "different races have their own..." affirms that race is a real thing, instead of the made up bullshit it actually is.

IAMKOREA fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Sep 5, 2014

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

IAMKOREA posted:

Race doesn't exist hth.

Edit: What I mean is the phrase "different races have their own..." affirms that race is a real thing, instead of the made up bullshit it actually is.

That's kind of like saying that Capitalism doesn't exist. Races don't exist apropos actual biological characteristics, but they do in fact exist as ideas that can - and do - affect people.

People often latch onto that idea, that since race doesn't exist biologically then it's nonsensical as a concept, and it's very unproductive when we want to discuss how to fix poo poo.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

tuyop posted:

That's kind of like saying that Capitalism doesn't exist. Races don't exist apropos actual biological characteristics, but they do in fact exist as ideas that can - and do - affect people.

People often latch onto that idea, that since race doesn't exist biologically then it's nonsensical as a concept, and it's very unproductive when we want to discuss how to fix poo poo.

Well all I meant was that since race is a bullshit concept our language about it should reflect that. But this is totally not a BFC topic and I regret my post.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I am super glad I started budgeting as I had to take a few unpaid sick days, but I can just adjust things to compensate instead of being in a hole. Yay!

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem
So moved to Florida, and hurray, our monthly car insurance premium increased from $93 to $141 (even after lowering Bodily Injury Liability from 100/300 to 50/100).

I want to get the premium even lower, but I'm not sure what..

I think I'm going to decline Uninsured Motorists Bodily Injury. Is this a bad idea? My family has good health insurance through my employer, so I feel like I wouldn't need to rely on the car insurance company for medical bills. We'd rarely, if ever, have other people in our car. No family members around, etc.

I'm tempted to lower Bodily Injury Liability from 50/100 .. but not sure how bad of an idea this is either. Medical bills are ridiculous in the US so it might be dangerous to lower this at all..

Declining Uninsured Motorists Bodily Injury and lowering Bodily Injury Liability to 25/50 would save me about 30 bucks a month.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
It's going to cost you way more a month if you get injured by an uninsured motorist. Just saying.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Sure your car insurance went up $600 a year, but you're probably saving thousands of dollars in state taxes now, so look at it that way too.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
The idea of moving to Florida and lowering your insurance and getting rid of uninsured coverage makes me queasy.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Yeah it's higher for a reason. There are a lot of old people who can't see well in Florida.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem
Thanks, guys. I'd appreciate the advice. Glad I checked, I'm still a little dumb about this stuff. I grew up with public transportation, and not on the US.

I'm going to leave the insurance as it is.

And wait for it to go up after my wife gets her driver's license. :thumbsup:

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
I don't know how Dave Ramsey is viewed here. I am amazed that something so stupid, and so simple actually works. I read total money makeover and closed my credit card. It had a 0 balance, but two months ago I received some bad medical news and spent money to make myself feel better. I realized I did the exact same thing every time I received bad news (I receive a lot of bad news - I have a genetic problem that affects almost everything in my body in one way or another).

I only have $1,000 in savings now, but all my medical bills are now paid and I will have my car (that I can't even drive due to a medical problem) paid off in four more months (two years early) if everything goes according to plan. The real trick is to make sure you are broke in a discretionary sense as early in the month as you can be. If you don't have any money available you can't spend it. If its a real emergency, you use the fund. The religious bits, the talk about the difference between the sexes - I don't really agree with those things - but the behavioral advice really worked for me.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

He is good on finance just ignore the rest. I like listening to him on road trips in the middle of nowhere where only AM radio works.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Ramsey is fine for personal budgeting but don't listen to anything he says about investing.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Wasn't he the guy that said to invest 25k in an index fund then use the profits every five years to buy a new 25k car?

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz
I know Ramsey helps a lot of people but they almost create this cult around him.

A friend's sister works as a bank teller and keeps copies of one of Dave's book at her station to give out to customers if she thinks they need his advice.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

nickutz posted:

I know Ramsey helps a lot of people but they almost create this cult around him.

A friend's sister works as a bank teller and keeps copies of one of Dave's book at her station to give out to customers if she thinks they need his advice.

This is the issue with him. I've posted in BFC before about my sister and brother in law's fanatical following of him. They refuse to open a credit card for Frontier to get 2 free tickets in the first year and $800 or so spending. They buy at least 6 frontier tickets a year, but whatever.

TouchyMcFeely
Aug 21, 2006

High five! Hell yeah!

I think part of the reason he's so CREDIT BAD! Is because most people don't know how to use it responsibly.

The people who call into his show are generally in such bad shape because they used credit like a checking account.

It's a lot easier to tell people (and for them to remember), "don't ever get a credit card or finance anything" than it is to try and explain the nuances of credit.

Sure it's sound bite-ish but when you're dealing with people who aren't financially savvy I agree with him that it's better to tell them not to play with it than it is to hand them a loaded gun and tell them to figure it out on their own.

edit: Plus it works and I think that's the most telling and important part.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Bloody Queef posted:

This is the issue with him. I've posted in BFC before about my sister and brother in law's fanatical following of him. They refuse to open a credit card for Frontier to get 2 free tickets in the first year and $800 or so spending. They buy at least 6 frontier tickets a year, but whatever.

It is actually a crappy deal since it is a ridiculous amount of points on frontier to go anywhere.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.
Ramsey's advice is great for those who don't have control over their emotions, but still know they need to be responsible with their money or face certain doom.

Not using credit cards, and therefore giving up the rewards they offer simply because you can't control your spending is a bit hilarious to me though, even if it is better for many people to do this.

The people who do this clearly value purchasing goods and services to an extreme level because they can't control themselves - so it makes them happier to spend than not spend. As a result, they stand to gain the most from making extra money from credit card rewards, especially since the most efficient use for many credit card rewards programs are on luxury items, not groceries or retirement savings.

Rick Rickshaw fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Sep 11, 2014

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

spwrozek posted:

It is actually a crappy deal since it is a ridiculous amount of points on frontier to go anywhere.

How is it a crappy deal? You get 2 free tickets, no fee the first year and then you cancel the card.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Bloody Queef posted:

How is it a crappy deal? You get 2 free tickets, no fee the first year and then you cancel the card.

You have to pay the $69 in your first bill period (unless they have changed it) I did this a few years ago. Plus to fly anywhere on frontier is 40,000 points round trip basically. With the new way they price flights it is worthless. My wife and I both went Denver to Dallas earlier this year for $98 each. They wanted 20k points each one way. Worthless.

Southwest has the best point system in my experience.

E: basically I don't think you get two free flights really.

spwrozek fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Sep 11, 2014

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Once you have a budget, savings, are cash flow positive and out of consumer debt you have exited the Ramsay-sphere and should seek better sources to learn about investing, taxes and retirement.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The woman who was supposed to move into the apartment I vacated on the first this Monday decided to back out today.

She hadn't signed the lease yet. :suicide:

(I get that she had a verbal contract, but the landlord no longer wants to deal with her, and I can't blame him after the events of today. Time to find another drat tenant to take over the loving lease.)

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

spwrozek posted:

You have to pay the $69 in your first bill period (unless they have changed it) I did this a few years ago. Plus to fly anywhere on frontier is 40,000 points round trip basically. With the new way they price flights it is worthless. My wife and I both went Denver to Dallas earlier this year for $98 each. They wanted 20k points each one way. Worthless.

Southwest has the best point system in my experience.

E: basically I don't think you get two free flights really.

$69 annual payment starts in year 2. The deal is 50k points which got me two round trip tickets from DE to FL. And a free companion ticket.

The actual point system is garbage. I'm canceling as soon as the year is over.

E: I've used the two regular tickets and they worked no problem.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

That is good it worked for you. I guess I just fly to too big of airports because the points never work out. 20k one way.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Ugh, cars. $1300 for a couple repairs. But, super glad we've gotten financially responsible, since now it's just a little blip to our net worth.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Sep 15, 2014

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Cicero posted:

Ugh, cars. $1300 for a couple repairs. But, super glad we've gotten financially responsible, since now it's just a little blip to our net worth.

Yeah we just had our clutch done. $2100. :smithicide:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Jebus, what sort of clutch that was?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

mobby_6kl posted:

Jebus, what sort of clutch that was?

A Canadian/Edmontonian* clutch. I shopped around. Everywhere I checked was over 2k, with the average being like $2500.

That price includes a broken plastic engine thingy and an oil change, so the actual clutch was probably closer to $1900.

*I'm pretty sure that the availability of insanely high paying work for mechanics a few hours North of the city in Mordor drives up the price of labour for automotive repairs.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
Isn't your wife a mechanic?! And drat that's a spendy clutch...

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

SiGmA_X posted:

Isn't your wife a mechanic?! And drat that's a spendy clutch...

Yeah but we're both way too busy right now (she worked 75 hours last week, woo salary) and couldn't afford to have to car out of service for most of a week. And we're not really equipped to machine a flywheel, you know?

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Just bought a no soliciting sign for my door. Take that boy-scouts :argh:

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Just bought a no soliciting sign for my door. Take that boy-scouts :argh:

Just buy some popcorn for the troops you bum!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

spwrozek posted:

Just buy some popcorn for the troops you bum!

gently caress that popcorn. Ew.