Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

davebo posted:

Most definitely, that's just the way of things. What I want to know is, what the hell are car interiors gonna look like in 30 years to make the i8 seem crude and retro? Like that archaic infotainment center doesn't even come with an optional neuro-link what am I supposed to do just give it voice commands like a caveman?

:20bux: says the electronics will be long dead by then. Cars from 30 years ago by and large had very basic electronics, if any at all. Even if they're still working, stuff like the LCD panel backlight will be long gone (and LCD technology itself will likely be considered retro by then - 2044's hipsters might be hoarding today's LCD TVs and PS4s though).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Since when does an LCD use a cold cathode backlight? What is this, 2010?

Now, sun damage, even with UV-blocking windows...

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Anything can be used as a hammer if you try hard enough.

some texas redneck posted:

2044's hipsters might be hoarding today's LCD TVs and PS4s though).

"Check this out guys, this is insanely great, it's got a 28.8 BPS modem!"

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

"Wow look how big those pins are, what is this, an expansion card for babies?!"

"No Timmy that's ISA."

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I work at a major telco/ISP. One of the guys who's been in the company for ages told me that the techs used to just twist the phone wiring together and wrap it in electrical tape, because it was faster than soldering or crimping it properly.

When he asked them if that was good enough, they said "oh yeah, this'll carry 9600 baud, no problem!" :science:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Also, racing is going to a weird place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tE78Og1MdSw

I'm sure we'll get used to it if alternative energy racing ever catches on but for now it is scary and horrible.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

It must be awful having to plan every driving route as a completely straight line, because nobody in their right mind would try to make a turn in that thing.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

The standard size spare on the back totally sells it. Of course its got Arizona plates too.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

xzzy posted:

I'm sure we'll get used to it if alternative energy racing ever catches on but for now it is scary and horrible.

It's not horrible, it's just different.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

God damnit. What the gently caress.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

xzzy posted:

That sounds awesome actually. Now all they need to do is remove the driver add more batteries and give some kids remotes.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

xzzy posted:

It's not much worse than jet turbine dragsters, I kind of like it. I would miss the noise if I were a driver though

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

xzzy posted:

They sound like spaceships.
Now all they need to do is make them hover on electromagnets and we can have real life F-Zero

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

veedubfreak posted:

That sounds awesome actually. Now all they need to do is remove the driver add more batteries and give some kids adult men remotes.

Cruseydr
May 18, 2010

I am not an atomic playboy.

xzzy posted:

This is awesome, it's just too bad the video doesn't show off any real noise from the tires. I remember having a discussion with somebody a few years ago about how they thought that electric car racing would sound boring, but just because you don't hear a loud engine doesn't mean it's not interesting.

Here is another one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IptBVdys-mo

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
That engine noise combined with that weird pulsing tire screech is the most futuristic sound I've ever heard any car make and I love every second of it.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Tactical Bonnet posted:

That engine noise combined with that weird pulsing tire screech is the most futuristic sound I've ever heard any car make and I love every second of it.

Yeah, it's totally sci-fi. I love it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I do love the noise, but I stuck it in this thread because it hints of a world where the roar of traditional engines doesn't exist anymore, which is a bit of a bummer.

I know we have lots of oil left so internal combustion will be around for a good long while but it seems like the writing's on the wall.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Nothing is better than hearing a real F1 car at full tilt. The sound of a perfectly tuned engine running flat out is a beautiful thing and I sincerely hope it sticks around forever.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

xzzy posted:

I do love the noise, but I stuck it in this thread because it hints of a world where the roar of traditional engines doesn't exist anymore, which is a bit of a bummer.

I know we have lots of oil left so internal combustion will be around for a good long while but it seems like the writing's on the wall.

A->B drivers will switch to electric and we'll have our screaming, stinking, and noisy toys still. Gas might be cheaper :v:

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

EightBit posted:

A->B drivers will switch to electric and we'll have our screaming, stinking, and noisy toys still. Gas might be cheaper :v:

Or more than likely A->B drivers will see how quiet things are now except for those nasty people who refuse to get with the modern times, and combustion vehicles will be legislated away bit by bit.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

xzzy posted:

If they reduce the rate of oil use it means they can run internal combustion for longer.
Eventually there will only be enough left for 1 racing car and a fighter jet to chase it

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
The sudden reminder that I have no fucking clue what I'm talking about
Terrible car stuff slash pet peeve thread:

Roadside assistance with limits on the free towing radius.

I'm getting my truck towed to the dealership I work at, to get it fixed cheap. But it's five miles outside their radius, so I've got to pay $4 for each of those miles.

Or I can get it towed free to any shop in that circle, and pay full shop price for the fix.

I need to make friends with a tow driver.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Captain Trips posted:

Terrible car stuff slash pet peeve thread:

Roadside assistance with limits on the free towing radius.

I'm getting my truck towed to the dealership I work at, to get it fixed cheap. But it's five miles outside their radius, so I've got to pay $4 for each of those miles.

Or I can get it towed free to any shop in that circle, and pay full shop price for the fix.

I need to make friends with a tow driver.

A $20 tow seems like a pretty good deal

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

GutBomb posted:

A $20 tow seems like a pretty good deal

Bet it means "it's five miles outside the radius, so I have to pay $4 for each and every mile of that radius plus $20 more."

Friends of mine had their transmission giving out when they came up here to Spokane a couple weeks back; their roadside assistance tow would get them back to the originating dealership where they have the warranty service, but only if they got more than halfway back to Pullman (WA). So, limp on :smith:.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Just a reminder, but AAA with 100 mile tows is only like 80 bucks a year.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Baller Witness Bro posted:

Nothing is better than hearing a real F1 car at full tilt. The sound of a perfectly tuned engine running flat out is a beautiful thing and I sincerely hope it sticks around forever.

It was until this year. :(

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

davebo posted:

Most definitely, that's just the way of things. What I want to know is, what the hell are car interiors gonna look like in 30 years to make the i8 seem crude and retro? Like that archaic infotainment center doesn't even come with an optional neuro-link what am I supposed to do just give it voice commands like a caveman?

Well, the i8's still got a steering wheel, for one

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

freelop posted:

If they reduce the rate of oil use it means they can run internal combustion for longer.
Eventually there will only be enough left for 1 racing car and a fighter jet to chase it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASCmH1HdG6g

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

freelop posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWPspYjPi3c

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

freelop posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XLyCDsKhGo

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

some texas redneck posted:

Cars from 30 years ago by and large had very basic electronics, if any at all.

(last week at the Woodbury, NJ car show)

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

PainterofCrap posted:

(last week at the Woodbury, NJ car show)

I've always wondered what the purpose of those headlight ring things was.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Mister Kingdom posted:

Reminds me of the fake exhaust outlets on newish Lexus models

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

For every timeless classic design of yesteryear there are ten absolutely baffling monstrosities which make you wonder what they were thinking.

The nissan murano convertible of our forefathers', if you will.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Mister Kingdom posted:

Believe it or not, that is a factory pimpmobile, sent out to a shop straight from the assembly line.

My best guess on the headlights is that they're going for some stylin' Brass-era carbide-lamp look. Because, you know, it goes so well with a '72 Caddy

There was also a company that did reaaallly wild pimp-outs on cars, but the name escapes me. The cars are considered collectible now. The feature car in Superfly came out of that shop.

(edit) Dunham Coachworks, out of my home state, Boonton NJ!

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Sep 6, 2014

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road
which makes death a fulfillment.
Saw this on another site, can't remember seeing it in this thread.. Its hard to think of a worse waste of time than building thing thing..

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
i want to know how much drugs and alcohol you need to do to start that project

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Tindjin posted:

Saw this on another site, can't remember seeing it in this thread.. Its hard to think of a worse waste of time than building thing thing..

That's definitely been in this thread, but I think it's always worth seeing again just for the :psyduck:. It is the ultimate terrible car stuff.