Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Generation Internet posted:

I wasn't expecting anything nearly so fun from a game that's really multiplayer oriented.

Yeah this games campaign is actually pretty fun. I do miss the structured missions from EE though and wish they could throw one in for special battles (ie the naval invasion of Seoul from the first campaign.)

Edit: The more that I think about it the more I like it. Make the missions longer and more difficult, but with the opportunity to get more political points for the strategic map, like seizing a certain city block without bombs because and important politician is being imprisoned there or something

Agean90 fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Sep 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.
Has anything ever been said about multiplayer campaigns?

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Adventure Pigeon posted:

Has anything ever been said about multiplayer campaigns?

They're totally out for RD.

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009

Tulip posted:

Why'd they reduce the ROF on Abrams anyway? They made sense as "like Leopards, but more offense oriented and different break points." Was this just some sort of special snowflake attempt to make tanks different but without any real design purpose, or is the answer going to be more depressing?

I'm willing to bet that it's a hamfisted attempt at Eugen 'realism.' The M1 series tanks ammo is in a protected enclosure that the loader has to open whenever he loads a new round, and I'll bet Eugen thought it would be super 'authentic' to slightly nerf the M1's reload time because of this.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009

Tulip posted:

Why'd they reduce the ROF on Abrams anyway? They made sense as "like Leopards, but more offense oriented and different break points." Was this just some sort of special snowflake attempt to make tanks different but without any real design purpose, or is the answer going to be more depressing?

I don't think it's anything like that, I'm guessing they wanted to move most "heavy" tanks to 9 rpm but forgot for a couple cases (The base K1 might still have 10 rpm).

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

So firing this up after being a bit behind, what the hell do i do with US infantry? Take SMAWs and rifle 90s to make forest doomforts? Count on your allies to pick up the slack?

Looks to me like a US Deck is Patriots + ATACMs + Longbows + M1A2 and everything else is just kind of crap? Gimmick central is the way to play US?

Also why are Supercobras equipped with Molniya?

TsarZiedonis posted:

I'm willing to bet that it's a hamfisted attempt at Eugen 'realism.' The M1 series tanks ammo is in a protected enclosure that the loader has to open whenever he loads a new round, and I'll bet Eugen thought it would be super 'authentic' to slightly nerf the M1's reload time because of this.

Both of these were more depressing options. e: RS's suggestion for some reason disappeared but i don't want to mess around with requoting it

Tulip fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Sep 4, 2014

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
How long will your forest doomfort last against 3000kg bombs?

Also, how the gently caress have they not fixed US infantry yet? It looks like machine guns still haven't been loving rebalanced.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Didn't they ban the goon-marshal who was doing the infantry/unit analysis? That's how much they care about their underlying systems.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Mortabis posted:

How long will your forest doomfort last against 3000kg bombs?

Also, how the gently caress have they not fixed US infantry yet? It looks like machine guns still haven't been loving rebalanced.

They'll be fine. I mean probably dead but risking a 150 point, 0 ecm plane against Patriot of glorious design to kill some SMAWs is probably beter for the US player.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

DatonKallandor posted:

Didn't they ban the goon-marshal who was doing the infantry/unit analysis? That's how much they care about their underlying systems.

That would be Xerxes.

Tulip posted:

They'll be fine. I mean probably dead but risking a 150 point, 0 ecm plane against Patriot of glorious design to kill some SMAWs is probably beter for the US player.

1) 70pt Yak bombing run
2) Yak gets shot down by Patriot
3) Smerch Patriot location
4) Welp

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Wait, they banned Xerxes?

What the gently caress.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Patch was shiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

For reasons listed or not?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Hubis posted:

1) 70pt Yak bombing run
2) Yak gets shot down by Patriot
3) Smerch Patriot location
4) Welp

"Gettin out played" is a different problem. The actual problem is what the hell am i supposed to do with these garbage US infantrymans.

MrYenko posted:

What the gently caress.

Yea it was pretty funny

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Hubis posted:

That would be Xerxes.

1) 70pt Yak bombing run
2) Yak gets shot down by Avenger swarm
3) Smerch avenger location
4) 3 more take its place

Stinger C's 4 lyfe

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

xthetenth posted:

For reasons listed or not?

The bugs it introduced, IMO. Nothing game-breaking, but just small annoyances.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

drat, what do I have to look forward to when I get done with work?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Does elite infantry still get a weird damage multiplier?

RangerPL
Jul 23, 2014

General Battuta posted:

Does elite infantry still get a weird damage multiplier?

Nope, unless it's been reintroduced since the patch that got rid of it.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Tulip posted:

"Gettin out played" is a different problem. The actual problem is what the hell am i supposed to do with these garbage US infantrymans.

Marines are still ok. But basically, "Use them as little as you can get away with"

Agean90 posted:

Stinger C's 4 lyfe

This. My main point was to illustrate that the Patriot is still vulnerable in the rocket artillery meta (although maybe less so if they made them widely less available) and that, while it does it's job especially well, it really needs to be augmented by the other tools the US has.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Hubis posted:

Marines are still ok. But basically, "Use them as little as you can get away with"

This. My main point was to illustrate that the Patriot is still vulnerable in the rocket artillery meta (although maybe less so if they made them widely less available) and that, while it does it's job especially well, it really needs to be augmented by the other tools the US has.

Marine transport options are just so aggresively bad. LVTPs at least don't get shot down by AAA.

Yea i know there's more to the AA game than supersams, which is fine. That's kind of always been the USA's thing, you get great gimmicky poo poo and need to use that to shore up being kinda mediocre at the more basic poo poo.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Tulip posted:

Marine transport options are just so aggresively bad. LVTPs at least don't get shot down by AAA.

Yea i know there's more to the AA game than supersams, which is fine. That's kind of always been the USA's thing, you get great gimmicky poo poo and need to use that to shore up being kinda mediocre at the more basic poo poo.

I would have much rather seen Marines '90 get LAV25s than for the Patriot to show up, though.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

MrYenko posted:

What the gently caress.

Well first I leaked all this poo poo about the upcoming EastBloc DLC, and they kicked me from Marshals about it because getting people interested in the game is a bad thing amirite? Not to mention of course, it's not like anybody else was leaking stuff.

Then I was basically walking my green-mile. I was on a moderator watch-list and they were immediately jumping on me for any minor transgressions. Called someone an idiot for suggesting that the Jager should be made into shock infantry? Moderated for trolling/language. However the main thing that came later was that me and 9 other "trolls" were banned from the main forums in order to "improve the forums quality". Of course from this proscription list was also RangerPL and NATO Potato who were not trolls at all but would always take people to task over bad ideas/stupid nationalism. So really all Eugen did was ban people who had an opinion/that the German community hated.

So now the forums have merely changed to a different kind of poo poo because it's all now zero-content nationalist shitposting and illogical balance/game proposals, actual content posts like OcaMurks's communication thread get locked/moved/deleted for being "offtopic". I guess It makes less work for the moderation staff to wade through threads that are generating report-spam from pissed off idiots whose bad ideas have been shot down by people with a clue.

tl;dr The community manager at Eugen and the Moderation staff are bad @ forums.

Edit: NATO Potato just reminded me that the main reason for our bans was probably that the three of us were the ones calling out Eugen for their lack of effort/testing/concepts/communication.

Xerxes17 fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Sep 5, 2014

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

They're totally out for RD.

Out as in released or out of possibility?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Xerxes17 posted:

suggesting that the Jager should be made into shock infantry

LOL for real though.

Kerc Kasha
Apr 18, 2007

I sort of liked the EE way of dealing with infantry better where you didn't have 'shock' etc classifications

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Kerc Kasha posted:

I sort of liked the EE way of dealing with infantry better where you didn't have 'shock' etc classifications

You did though, their rifles were HE 2 for shock and HE 3 for elite. Delta would cut through standard infantry with ease, it was just that people hadn't torn the mechanics apart yet like we have now. Well that and for half its life flamethrower tanks were all that mattered.

Bastables
Aug 7, 2014

Mazz posted:

You did though, their rifles were HE 2 for shock and HE 3 for elite. Delta would cut through standard infantry with ease, it was just that people hadn't torn the mechanics apart yet like we have now. Well that and for half its life flamethrower tanks were all that mattered.

Things were made interesting with the damage increase that vet gave infantry units, So a 30 point Elite Mot Strelki would actually beat 30 point rookie delta.

I also remember that only hits would cause morale loss suppression so depending on the terrain and roads best way to kill tanks in the open was to fast move loaded apc's and instantly unload them so they could LAW/RPG things to death.

Good times.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Vahakyla posted:

Out as in released or out of possibility?

As in not in and not ever going to be in :(

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Bastables posted:

I also remember that only hits would cause morale loss suppression so depending on the terrain and roads best way to kill tanks in the open was to fast move loaded apc's and instantly unload them so they could LAW/RPG things to death.

Good times.

Only for a short while; around the time of the ATGM patch was when near-misses began to affect morale, or at least were made to do so more noticeably. The jihad APC trick worked throughout the life of EE and well into the ALB beta, incidentally. It took them how long to figure out how to balance infantry dying/surviving vehicle hits, and they still from time to time screw it up (e.g. early RD beta SAS in helicopters).

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Also raining men in ALB. Anyone remember West Germany's 5 point hueys?

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Mortabis posted:

To be fair, part of that was a bug where the shot-down infantry would get so panicked that their morale would "wrap around" to maximum effectiveness again :downs:

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Wait was it actually an integer overflow? :lol:

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
It was. The T80U also caused a stack overflow in EE when it fired on light vehicles from close range. The game apparently had a damage scale that ended at 30.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Unless they've got some truly obscene recursive mechanism for calculating damage, and don't perform tail recursion optimization, it's very very unlikely that was a stack overflow.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
Ugh, shut up, nerd.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
US has better options than you might think outside marine corps. Straight up 15-point spam works alright these days. Light Riflemen are excellent defensive/flexible troops. The US also has a lot of the best fire support units in the game (Ontos, m8 ags, sheridan, cobras)

Mortabis posted:

i wish those days would come again, since helicopter zerg cant possibly work anymore.

RangerPL
Jul 23, 2014
I miss raining men. They wouldn't have been patched out either if not for people abusing them in that tournament.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Mazz posted:

Yo have they ever given us a good reason or plan for Napalm infantry? They just wildly prevaricate between 'too good' and 'too bad.' Infantry designed to counter infantry in a world where that's really all that infantry do was just never a good idea.

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

US has better options than you might think outside marine corps. Straight up 15-point spam works alright these days. Light Riflemen are excellent defensive/flexible troops. The US also has a lot of the best fire support units in the game (Ontos, m8 ags, sheridan, cobras)

Ontos owns yea. Are cobras actually worth taking or is spamming Hogs better?

Too bad 15 point spam requires using Gavins, but i'll keep that in mind.

RangerPL posted:

I miss raining men. They wouldn't have been patched out either if not for people abusing them in that tournament.

Raining men ruled. Even at its "worst" it was too funny to hate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Canadian SMAW teams where just amazing. Three or four of the dudes would survive the chopper crash and teae poo poo up.

Re: flame infantry. I like their area denial aspect. Whether it is city blocks or small patches of wood the flames will seriously annoy the hell out of anyone who tries to maneuver there.

• Locked thread