Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Spiky Ooze posted:

Talking about videogames is a serious psychological cross to bear harder than anything else ever you know

I thought Giant Bomb was pointedly avoiding commenting on this. What even is he specifically talking about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me
did other media have their members become giant blubbering babies when people questioned their integrity too or is this unique to games? either way it's hilarious.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka
Haha, fedora wearing conspiracy theorists talking about collusion and bad dealing among gaming writers, what a load of MRA maroons

Now, here's the REAL conspiracy you need to be looking out for!!! (Links a forums post no one looked at)

FAROOQ
Aug 20, 2014

by Smythe

little nathan grayson doing his first bit of real journalism.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Dog Fat Man Chaser posted:

did other media have their members become giant blubbering babies when people questioned their integrity too or is this unique to games? either way it's hilarious.

real news doesn't get 369 page threads despite real news featuring numerous conflicts of interest and routine journalistic incompetence. babyman poo poo however is extremely important, here is a rage comic

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

Best Friends posted:

real news doesn't get 369 page threads despite real news featuring numerous conflicts of interest and routine journalistic incompetence. babyman poo poo however is extremely important, here is a rage comic

but like, if people DID call out real news on that, would they also just go "NO gently caress YOU, AUDIENCE"

Biggie Shorty
Oct 8, 2008
I just don't understand why these underpaid PR mouthpieces thought they should take a stand against their own audience? All they have to do is show shiny pictures of games and get people hyped so that your bosses make money. That is literally all you have to loving do. "Hey there's a new Sonic game coming out, looks pretty hype, here are some pics"

This guy had the right idea all along:

why didn't we listen? :(

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Best Friends posted:

Yeah. You're right. It just has 685 pages. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3512233&pagenumber=685#lastpost

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

but like, if people DID call out real news on that, would they also just go "NO gently caress YOU, AUDIENCE"

Probably not because it's pretty hard for a real journalist to shove his own fat head into the middle of a story about a barn fire and make it about himself and the state of fire everywhere

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
Why do these indie people need PR people anyways? IDGI

Rad Tad
Jul 2, 2014

BottledBodhisvata posted:

I thought Giant Bomb was pointedly avoiding commenting on this. What even is he specifically talking about?

lol well patrick klepek put up a video where he talks about it at some point and i skipped in and heard him talking about how hard life is as a games journalist and I couldn't

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
If gamers come together and stop visiting lovely sites or at the very least adblock them they can get rid of bad game bloggers. It's an easy fix.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

:foxnews:

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
this conspiracy is bigger than any of us could have thought...

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

gigawhite posted:

Probably not because it's pretty hard for a real journalist to shove his own fat head into the middle of a story about a barn fire and make it about himself and the state of fire everywhere

you clearly do not watch real news

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

basically yes real journalists also are bad but no one will know until Anderson Cooper decides to have an opinion on babyman shootgames, at which point there will be a new thread about it generating 40 pages a day complaining about his undoubtedly correct and extremely handsome opinions.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Slanderer posted:

Who the gently caress is Jentar? Was she the one who was clearly buddies with the Gone Home person?

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
Twitter cfo says a facebook style filtered feed is coming whether you like it or not/

quote:

Earlier this year, when Twitter released its quarterly financial results, CEO Dick Costolo was asked whether the platform would ever implement a Facebook-style filtering algorithm, he hedged his answer by saying he wouldn’t “rule it out.” According to some recent comments from chief financial officer Anthony Noto, however, the company is doing a lot more than not ruling it out — it sounds like a done deal. And while that might help improve engagement with new users, it could increase the dissatisfaction some older users feel with the service.

At a financial conference on Wednesday in New York, the CFO provided some hints about the feature roadmap that new head of product Daniel Graf — who came to Twitter from Google in April — has in mind for the service, a list that includes better search and a move into group chat. But he also suggested that the traditional reverse-chronological user stream could become a thing of the past, as the company tries to improve its relevance. As the Wall Street Journal put it:

Twitter’s timeline is organized in reverse chronological order… but this “isn’t the most relevant experience for a user,” Noto said. Timely tweets can get buried at the bottom of the feed if the user doesn’t have the app open, for example. “Putting that content in front of the person at that moment in time is a way to organize that content better.”
An unfiltered stream is a core feature

This might seem like a small thing, similar to Twitter’s move to insert tweets that other people have favorited into a user’s stream if there aren’t any recent tweets to show them. But as the controversy over that feature shows, the Twitter chronological-order model is at the core of what the service offers for many users — and a number of them have specifically said it is the thing they like most about Twitter when compared to Facebook.

The most recent example of how stark the differences can be between a filtered feed and an unfiltered one was the unrest in Ferguson, Mo. and how that showed up so dramatically on Twitter but was barely present for most users of Facebook. As sociologist Zeynep Tufekci noted, that kind of filtering has social consequences — and journalism professor Emily Bell pointed out that doing this makes Facebook and Twitter into information gatekeepers in much the same way newspapers used to be.

The impetus for Twitter to filter is obvious: the service needs to show growth in both number of users and engagement in order to satisfy investors, and finding relevant content as a new user can be a challenge, which is why the company recently updated its so-called “on-boarding” process.

The reverse-chronological feed has already been tampered with by features like Twitter’s conversation threading, which connects responses in an attempt to show users an entire discussion — another feature that some users love and others hate. But moving to a totally filtered “relevance” approach would be a much more significant move, even if Twitter provided an opt-out or allowed users to turn it off. And it could change the nature of the service dramatically.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

no, see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/News_International_phone_hacking_scandal

but you know, theres a difference between criminal offenses and loving weirdos

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Slanderer posted:

I don't even know what you're trying to say with your screenshots at this point.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Slanderer posted:

Who is this person? I have a life.

Dec 26, 2012

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

I have a life.

lets not overstate the case here

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

maybe a facsimile of one based on restating you have a life to everyone

heh

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

Best Friends posted:

basically yes real journalists also are bad but no one will know until Anderson Cooper decides to have an opinion on babyman shootgames, at which point there will be a new thread about it generating 40 pages a day complaining about his undoubtedly correct and extremely handsome opinions.

Nah the Daily Show already told everyone the real news is real bad.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Who the hell is @jennatar?

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Nelson Mandingo posted:

looks like a twitter username can anyone c/d?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

yeah sure "SEPHIROTH_IRA"

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Nelson Mandingo posted:

wrote a terrible article about women being attacked and oppressed for the guardian, was outed as being financially supported by zoe's pr agent - and was in turn donating to zoe's protean account - then went mental on twitter and apparently threw away 9 years of her life or something

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Nelson Mandingo posted:

answered but I thought the important thing was the guy that made the tweet. Guess not.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Sep 4, 2014

The Landstander
Apr 20, 2004

I stand on land.
I agree #NotYourShield is stupid, but the reasons why are reasons why hashtag activism is basically always stupid.

(I separate reporting on live events on Twitter, like say Ferguson, from hashtag activism stuff like #CancelColbert)

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

poptart_fairy posted:

wrote a terrible article about women being attacked and oppressed for the guardian, was outed as being financially supported by zoe's pr agent - and was in turn donating to zoe's protean account - then went mental on twitter and apparently threw away 9 years of her life or something

For the amount she's complaining it's fairly obvious the split wasn't her preferred choice. The whole "she walked away" thing looks painfully like a re-framing of someone who was told to resign.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

poptart_fairy posted:

a lot of hate in this psot

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

natetimm posted:

For the amount she's complaining it's fairly obvious the split wasn't her preferred choice. The whole "she walked away" thing looks painfully like a re-framing of someone who was told to resign.

lol a freelancer "resigned"

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
freelancers can refuse to do work for certain organizations and those groups can refuse their work, tho

Slanderer posted:

a lot of hate in this psot

then why did you submit it

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

Uhhh I'm only a contractor with the place where I work, but I'd be pretty pissed if they came to me today and said "don't work for us anymore, we're not going to pay you for things" so I don't think you get what being a regular freelancer for a place actually means

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

Everyone on my side is really cool and good, I can't believe someone would say that they did something stupid or got fired for a lovely connection they were hiding

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

E1M1 posted:

Uhhh I'm only a contractor with the place where I work, but I'd be pretty pissed if they came to me today and said "don't work for us anymore, we're not going to pay you for things" so I don't think you get what being a regular freelancer for a place actually means

freelancers aren't contractors. you pitch stories to an editor, they agree to pay for you to write that article. if you want to quit you just stop submitting pitches.

how is this confusing?

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
the patreon ties are all amusing, its either game bloggers/devs giving each other money or siphoning it off from this herd of chubby beta males. Its also amusing because last night the top results for patreon's feed were complaints that payouts didn't go out on time

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

poptart_fairy posted:

Yeah reading her twitter, I genuinely sympathize that she seems to have wasted 9 years of her life and any kind of harassment is horrible but melting down on twitter like that is kinda indicative of bigger problems in her life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

E1M1 posted:

I think it means you don't post stupid poo poo for people who pay you money to write stupid poo poo on other websites.

• Locked thread