Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Re: Marvel OGNs

Emperor Doom is loving dope.

Silver Surfer: The Ultimate Cosmic Experience is one of the high points of the Lee/Kirby collaboration.

Endless Wartime is one of the worst things I've read by Ellis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Schneider Heim posted:

What are the good Marvel OGNs?

Silver Surfer: THE ULTIMATE COSMIC EXPERIENCE

Uh, uh, Dazzler: The Movie isn't bad! :shrug:

Elektra Lives Again

vvv
oh poo poo, of course.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Sep 3, 2014

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Dr Strange Dr. Doom: Triumph and Torment.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
Will any of the Wolverine: 3 Months to Die stuff be getting a TPB? I need to catch up because I guess he's dying pretty shortly here.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

First Bass posted:

I need to catch up because I guess he's dying pretty shortly here.

You really don't, it's not very good. Just know that Wolverine died, the end.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

TwoPair posted:

You really don't, it's not very good. Just know that Wolverine died, the end.

Can I at least look forward to the "Reign of the Wolverines!" follow-up event?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

First Bass posted:

Can I at least look forward to the "Reign of the Wolverines!" follow-up event?

Will this feature the return of Albert the Wolverine robot?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I want Logan to become a ghost only Scott can see and just appears to taunt him or give or tell him Jean wouldn't like what he's doing.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Yep.

Of the newer ones, Spider-Man: Family Business (Waid/Robinson writers) is really quite good, though.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

redbackground posted:

Silver Surfer: THE ULTIMATE COSMIC EXPERIENCE

Uh, uh, Dazzler: The Movie isn't bad! :shrug:

Elektra Lives Again

vvv
oh poo poo, of course.

Elektra Lives Again and Elektra: Assassin are among if not the best things Marvel has put out.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Re: Marvel OGNs

Emperor Doom is loving dope.

Silver Surfer: The Ultimate Cosmic Experience is one of the high points of the Lee/Kirby collaboration.

Apart from the ones mentioned, the best ever Graphic Novel Marvel put out was Hercules: Full Circle. It's a Bob Layton based Hercules story, that's all you need to know.

First Bass posted:

Will any of the Wolverine: 3 Months to Die stuff be getting a TPB? I need to catch up because I guess he's dying pretty shortly here.

It will be out in TPB, but it doesn't really play into the Wolverine dying stuff. Essentially it's all about Wolverine coming to terms with his mortality and going out and being a hero one last time and overcoming his fear and phobia against Sabertooth. Essentially it's a cap stone to all the stuff Paul Cornell was doing with Wolverine, but doesn't actually feature Wolverine dying.

That's being done with in a mini series by Charles Soule.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

I eat Rotheseburgehergh's like you for breakfast
New Moon Knight wasnt terrible, but it lacks the motherfucking swag of the Warren Ellis run. Looks like they are going to be moving into a more traditional structure rather than one offs. I guess I will keep reading for the time being. Art and writing both took a bit of a nose dive, but the series just went from being pretty close to the top of my 'most anticipated' list to somewhere in the middle. Brian Woods is solid so I will give it time.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

New Moon Knight wasnt terrible, but it lacks the motherfucking swag of the Warren Ellis run. Looks like they are going to be moving into a more traditional structure rather than one offs. I guess I will keep reading for the time being. Art and writing both took a bit of a nose dive, but the series just went from being pretty close to the top of my 'most anticipated' list to somewhere in the middle. Brian Woods is solid so I will give it time.

But the colouring is still top notch right???

This is pretty much what people were afraid of (at least me). It's an alright book but nothing special anymore. Wood is a competent writer and sometimes excels but at the end of the day, he's no Ellis. While I feel there are probably a couple writers that could've taken over and been able to continue a fantastic book, Wood was not anywhere on that list. And with Marvel knocking it out of the park on so many other books, as much as I want to be sad dropping this book, the decision from my wallet makes it easy.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

RevKrule posted:

But the colouring is still top notch right???

This is pretty much what people were afraid of (at least me). It's an alright book but nothing special anymore. Wood is a competent writer and sometimes excels but at the end of the day, he's no Ellis. While I feel there are probably a couple writers that could've taken over and been able to continue a fantastic book, Wood was not anywhere on that list. And with Marvel knocking it out of the park on so many other books, as much as I want to be sad dropping this book, the decision from my wallet makes it easy.

Yeah, Im not sure why they couldnt just have a string of great writers do a series of one offs, or just have one great writer do it for awhile, but Wood is a step in the wrong direction for sure. Marvel has done a good job putting out quality work recently but I am guessing they must have done something to piss Ellis off. I like the character of Moon Knight so I will give it a little time, but its really disappointing to have the comic that got me back into reading comic take such a nosedive.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

Yeah, Im not sure why they couldnt just have a string of great writers do a series of one offs, or just have one great writer do it for awhile, but Wood is a step in the wrong direction for sure. Marvel has done a good job putting out quality work recently but I am guessing they must have done something to piss Ellis off.

Ellis has been very forthright since the start that this was always planned as a six-issue run, and that the sum total of his involvement was to "reactivate" the character. We'll probably see him at Marvel again at some point.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

You know I generally don't care about Wolverine these days and I certainly could not give less of a poo poo about Paul Cornell's stupid run, but I noticed that Death of Wolverine was written by Charles Soule, which I didn't know, and I ended up liking it. Great art, solid writing. And that Nuke beating was pretty brutal.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

Wanderer posted:

Ellis has been very forthright since the start that this was always planned as a six-issue run, and that the sum total of his involvement was to "reactivate" the character. We'll probably see him at Marvel again at some point.

Gotcha. I had heard that Marvel offered him the opportunity to do more issues (which he declined obviously) and that he, the artist, and the colorist are doing a comic together with Image. I just put those two things together and assumed the worst. The creative team likes each other enough to immediately decide to keep creating things together, but not with Marvel. I do hope he comes back to Marvel though. Reactivate Squirrel Girl, you know you want to Warren.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's not like he can only write one comic at a time.

Well, okay, it's Ellis, so maybe writing one at a time, if that, *is* all he can manage, but theoretically.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

Gotcha. I had heard that Marvel offered him the opportunity to do more issues (which he declined obviously) and that he, the artist, and the colorist are doing a comic together with Image. I just put those two things together and assumed the worst. The creative team likes each other enough to immediately decide to keep creating things together, but not with Marvel. I do hope he comes back to Marvel though. Reactivate Squirrel Girl, you know you want to Warren.

Right now Marvel seems to exist as a source of day jobs for creative personnel, while they do their own creator-owned things at Image. Remender, for example, is still a big deal at Marvel, but has three or four series at Image right now. It's not that they're working for a competitor.

It's kind of like how Maynard Keenan is in more than one band, or how actors will veer rapidly between mainstream blockbusters and shoestring independent films.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

It's not like he can only write one comic at a time.

Well, okay, it's Ellis, so maybe writing one at a time, if that, *is* all he can manage, but theoretically.

Well he was doing Moon Knight, Trees, and Supreme at the same time. I am pretty sure they are all monthly series' though.

Regardless, I am sad that Ellis left Moon Knight. And I know that the best writers do stuff at the Big Two as well as with the indies, I read indies almost exclusively right now. And I was reading all 3 of Ellis' series, but I was more 'meh' on Trees and Supreme and thought that Moon Knight was some of his best work.

WinnebagoWarrior fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Sep 4, 2014

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Ellis is at his peak right now doing one offs (see also Secret Avengers).

That said, I don't think Ellis was forthright with his departure from Moon Knight until Marvel put out the cryptic solicitation earlier this year.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Honestly, I'd probably put up with Brian Wood's writing if the book still had Declan Shalvey on art. What I saw from the preview looked blocky and unattractive.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

RevKrule posted:

That said, I don't think Ellis was forthright with his departure from Moon Knight until Marvel put out the cryptic solicitation earlier this year.
Yeah, I don't remember any "This is only for 6 issues guys!" until the solicits for #6 came out.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Oh my god, Superior Foes was great this week. The whole issue belongs in the funny panel thread.
And Shocker. Oh my god, Shocker. If they published an issue that was just a 22-page flipbook of him getting kicked in the nuts, I wouldn't be surprised.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

First Bass posted:

Spoilers for the last year of Wolverine comics

Wolverine is tracking down a gun that can posess people. He gets shot by said gun. The "gun" itself turns out to be a space ship from the microverse. I'm not making any of this up He gets infected with a nanovirus that turns off his healing factor. Wolverines rogues gallery then find out that he no longer has his healing factor so they attack him. He manages to more or less fight everyone off except for Sabertooth who beats him nearly to death and leaves him as killing him is not worth his time. During this point the nanovirus tells Wolverine that it will give him his healing factor back if he unleashes the virus on the earth, Wolverine declines and permanently loses the healing factor. As if that series wasn't stupid, it gets worse from there Wolverine leaves the Jean Gray school because he doesn't feel like he can lead anymore, he's approached by a crime boss named Offer who puts together a criminal team. Sometime before these 2 events happen Wolverine meets up with the Superior Spider Man who builds him a set of armor that he can use to fight. Offers crew goes to Madripoor to steal an orb. While in Madripoor the other 2 people in his team realize that Wolvie is still working for SHIELD and they turn on him. Meanwhile Sabertooth manages to steal the Orb out from underneath them. The orb has some sort of wish fulfillment to it. Offer and Sabertooth team up and kidnap the child of one of Offers former underlings. Wolverine leads a strike force of other heroes + SHIELD on Sabertooth and the Hand. Wolverine beats down Sabertooth and the orb is recovered. Back at the Jean Gray school Wolverine tells someone (I forget who) that Wolverine is dead and to call him James.

The last year or so of Wolverine comics have been godawful and the only reason I continued to read them was because of my love for the character. I think the whole "Killable" story has been terribly mishandeled. That being said I very much enjoyed "Death of Wolverine" and I'm interested to see where that goes.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

redbackground posted:

Yeah, I don't remember any "This is only for 6 issues guys!" until the solicits for #6 came out.

I can't remember when the interview happened, maybe it was after, but I do remember Ellis saying how he would just be doing short year or so stints for non-creator owned work, like Moon Knight and Secret Avengers. Where he just does his thing, gets paid and then can go off and focus on some creator owned projects.

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

All is, if i have grace to use it so...

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

It's pretty bad for Ellis but just mediocre for almost anyone else. At least it's not Ruins.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Dr. MonkeyThunder posted:

It's pretty bad for Ellis but just mediocre for almost anyone else. At least it's not Ruins.

It's worse than Ruins. At least Ruins was somewhat clever. Endless Wartime reads like a demo reel.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

At least Ruins was somewhat clever.

What is this. What am I reading here.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

TwoPair posted:

What is this. What am I reading here.

I don't live in that realm of the internet where everything is either totally amazing or the worst thing ever.

Ruins ain't great, but it's somewhat clever, the art's not bad, and the bit with Ghost Rider is pretty awesome.

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010
I just came here to see if anyone was talking about how surprisingly fun Deadpool Vs Hawkeye was.

You guys! It was super fun and surprisingly good! Poked a lot of fun at Hawkguy without Bering too annoyingly over the top Deadpool-y. Is the regular Deadpool series this good cos if so I might have to check it out.

In short, guys it was a Good Fun Comic!

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

krakagar posted:

I just came here to see if anyone was talking about how surprisingly fun Deadpool Vs Hawkeye was.

You guys! It was super fun and surprisingly good! Poked a lot of fun at Hawkguy without Bering too annoyingly over the top Deadpool-y. Is the regular Deadpool series this good cos if so I might have to check it out.

Yes the regular Deadpool series is that good. Some people don't like the first arc quite as much but it really gets its footing after that.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

Senor Candle posted:

Yes the regular Deadpool series is that good. Some people don't like the first arc quite as much but it really gets its footing after that.

Yeah, if we are going by the TP's, Vols 1 and 5 are decent, Vols 2-4 are loving fantastic and some of my favorite stuff ive read recently.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

krakagar posted:

I was so glad about this!

Gerry Duggan in general seems to be hitting some kind of stride/turning into a genuinely reliable Marvel writer. I enjoy his Nova (nothing brilliant, but consistently fun), his Deadpool (some of the best the character has been, after the first arc--Brian Posehn cowriting), and I actually liked his first Hulk issue plenty as well and am looking forward to it.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

krakagar posted:

Yeah, I was really glad about how good this was! I was hoping for the best but fearing the worst, and I ended up really enjoying it. Great art, fun writing, and it made me actually feel interest in Deadpool for once in my life. I'm glad I'm not the only person who was kinda won over by that, haha.

Anyway yes I liked this issue and think everyone should go check it out.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Yeah, if you wanna get into Deadpool right now is the best time. Duggan and Posehn are knocking it out of the park and The Good, The Bad And The Ugly arc might be one of the most emotionally satisfying comics of 2013.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

How's Deadpool vs Hawkeye compare to there team up in A+X?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

You should also read The Gauntlet which is the digital only Infinite book that was really good. It's also been collected in print I believe. Lot's of good Deadpool stuff happening recently. Duggan is pretty great with the character.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Die Laughing posted:

How's Deadpool vs Hawkeye compare to there team up in A+X?

I liked the A+X story but this one is way better so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Deadpool posted:

You should also read The Gauntlet which is the digital only Infinite book that was really good. It's also been collected in print I believe. Lot's of good Deadpool stuff happening recently. Duggan is pretty great with the character.

They actually made a physical release of this too. It's 8 issues that finished last week. They came out every week, so chances are you can pick up all 8 of them easily.

EDIT: Oh dur, you were aware of the physical release.

• Locked thread