Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I'm sure it's nice but it's an unappetizing photo presented with minimal context. I spent a while thinking I was supposed to be spotting insect parts or rat feces or something else disgusting in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Witherbone
Nov 1, 2010

CHEESE LOOKS ON IN
DESPAIR BUT ALSO WITH
AN ERECTION

haveblue posted:

I'm sure it's nice but it's an unappetizing photo presented with minimal context. I spent a while thinking I was supposed to be spotting insect parts or rat feces or something else disgusting in there.

Still swear to God I see earthworms in there.

Still waiting on that story, too :colbert:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Dreylad posted:

ford didn't write all that!

If you've got a favorable review of a fascist dictator you... you didn't write that.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

haveblue posted:

Ok, I must be weird because I saw that photo and it made me hungry. I've never had that particular dish, but food served in paper under bad lighting is synonymous with tasty food to me. Doner Kebab, burritos, pizza, you name it.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Ok, I must be weird because I saw that photo and it made me hungry. I've never had that particular dish, but food served in paper under bad lighting is synonymous with tasty food to me. Doner Kebab, burritos, pizza, you name it.

Ahem, Kebabs go into these boxes:

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

not when they're put into pita

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

I've heard there's some emerging academic books and papers on how infrastructure is the actual basis for the American economy, has anyone read any of them and/or have some links?

I found a few books like Next Generation Infrastructure but it wasn't what I heard talked about on NPR which was basically a case of how infrastructure not the stock market is the primary driver of economic success.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
Yeah, they way I got them when I was in Europe was meat with some lettuce and garnish vegetables with a delicious sauce crammed into pita or lavash and wrapped up in paper. Some of the best food I've ever had and it's one of my biggest complaints about America that it's incredibly hard to find here. Like you can find all the components well done individually but for some reason no one will put it together the right way.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Yeah, they way I got them when I was in Europe was meat with some lettuce and garnish vegetables with a delicious sauce crammed into pita or lavash and wrapped up in paper. Some of the best food I've ever had and it's one of my biggest complaints about America that it's incredibly hard to find here. Like you can find all the components well done individually but for some reason no one will put it together the right way.

Having been to the Mediterranean recently I can confirm that good pita is for some reason really hard to find in America. Like, the brittle, dry crap they stock in supermarkets is just vile.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

loquacius posted:

Having been to the Mediterranean recently I can confirm that good pita is for some reason really hard to find in America. Like, the brittle, dry crap they stock in supermarkets is just vile.

:agreed: even restaurant pita half the time just comes out of a bag behind the counter. It is depressing to watch the guy slice off my delicious shawarma and then slap it into a dusty supermarket pita-napkin (shut up it's close to where I work).

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

I went to undergrad at a big state school and there was this restaurant storefront right near campus that got rented out by a bunch of Germans right before I graduated and they put in a Doner kebab restaurant. I imagine them going "oh my God they don't have these in America? Well we know from growing up in Europe that college kids loving love these things so we'll sell like a jillion and we'll be loving rich!"

I had one (yes, while drunk), it wasn't that good. They asked me if I wanted hot sauce and I said yes and it just tasted like ketchup.

e: If anyone here is at UT Austin is that storefront on Guadalupe next to Hole in the Wall still the kebab place or did they go out of business just like the previous four tenants?

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Sep 4, 2014

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
If they wanted the pita to be any good they'd just make naan. I bring it up because I'm about to go to an Indian place and eat food until it hurts, and then continue eating until there's none left.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

R. Mute posted:

not when they're put into pita

What's this kind of bread then?

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Kurtofan posted:

What's this kind of bread then?

hosed up

Antwan3K
Mar 8, 2013
no it actually is pronounced Grandeur

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
We call it a grec.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
While on the topic of pita, Americans even manage to gently caress up pita chips. Why is it so hard to find a LIGHTLY salted chip that won't shatter my teeth (gently caress you, Stacy)

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Pita is the most practical of "Bread with meat in it" dishes, because unlike hamburgers even an America sized portion cannot fall out of a half-sliced pita bread.

Though we tend to call it just bread in order to stay neutral in the ongoing gyros vs. döner war.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008

Randler posted:

Pita is the most practical of "Bread with meat in it" dishes, because unlike hamburgers even an America sized portion cannot fall out of a half-sliced pita bread.

In college when classes were too close together to get a proper lunch I started making my own brown bags and very quickly discovered dr he utility of a pita pocket. It's like a hot pocket but instead of shame and heart failure it has homemade stuff and pride

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

is there a practical difference between a gyro and a doner.

They just opened a new doner place up by my house (S. Lamar, Austin lads), I wanna go.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
Orthodox Greek versus Dirty Islam

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh so this is like how Turkish food is just actually also Greek food.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
Also souvlaki makes it worth it because god drat pork is delicious

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
In France they're either called greek sandwiches or kebabs, but it's the same thing, this is confusing

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

zoux posted:

Oh so this is like how Turkish food is just actually also Greek food.

I mean I know for a fact I can't find decent poutine anywhere. Last time I saw it on a menu I got excited. It came out as steak fries with melted mozzarella and McCormick's brown gravy. What the gently caress.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Maybe try Canada bro.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
If you ask for poutine in Russia, what happens

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Vodka

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

zoux posted:

Maybe try Canada bro.

This was a direct response to Turkish = Greek

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
It's probably because of, well, the potatoes and cheese, but I fell asleep like 15 minutes after my first poutine.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

mooyashi posted:

This was a direct response to Turkish = Greek

I've never eaten/seen poutine in my life so I did not understand your joke.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Who came up with poutine?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Kurtofan posted:

Who came up with poutine?

Alcoholics.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

quote:

Unlike Mr Thomas, Mr Baptist has not written an objective history of slavery. Almost all the blacks in his book are victims, almost all the whites villains. This is not history; it is advocacy.

~ The Economist, reviewing The Half Has Never Been Told: Slavery and the Making of American Capitalism

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty

lol jesus christ

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

The Economist is great in that it's been wrong, consistently, for well over 100 years.

It's on my list of things that people tell me to read that indicates they think they're smarter than they are, along with columns by David Brooks and Tom Friedman.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Once upon a time I had a subscription, and thought they weren't the worst for general world events even if they recommended terrible economic policies, was I wrong? That's an appallingly bad article, who thought that was a good idea to print?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

is there a functional difference between the Economist and the WSJ

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

The best summary I've ever heard of the Economist is that Europeans laugh at its articles on Europe but read it for the articles about the rest of the world, North Americans laugh at its articles on North America but read it for the articles about the rest of the world, Africans laugh at its articles on Africa but read it for the articles about the rest of, etc, etc...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Jesus Christ. :negative:

I'm about halfway through the New Yorker article about AIPAC. It's a shame it's in the New Yorker, so nobody who should is going to pay any attention to it.

• Locked thread