Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mary Worth

Or you have gas.

Rex Morgan MD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Juliet Jones

Phantom Classic

Radio Patrol

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

You're absolutely correct. Yes. Please stop now.

Stop? But I haven't even shown you the uber-nerd character who married a different uber-nerd! Or how some of the characters apparently have cosmic powers and can alter reality, one of whom is a B-B-B-BABE who's dating a nerdy employee!

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Julet Esqu posted:

Juliet Jones

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

So, all you folks who really understand newspaper comic history: why was the art in some of these classic soap opera serial strips so beautiful and, well, artistic? These guys were cranking out a strip a day, weren't they? Yet every character in Rip Kirby has a real face and body and expressiveness, and Ben Bolt's people and settings have weight and line and individuality. Aunt Martha there is exquisite. By comparison, the current soap strips show nowhere near the care or skill. Or... style?

What was different? Were there just a few incredible artists, or was something else in play?

(Props to Prince Valiant because Foster created it beautiful and it's still beautiful, but it's kind of in a different category since it's once a week. Although given how complex each installment is, maybe it's not in a different category in terms of work. I dunno about that.)

Anyway, I'm curious, and kind of in awe at the art in Ben Bolt.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
A bit early this time

Sergio Aragones (MAD #190, April 1977)

The Lighter Side of...

Don Martin Dept. (MAD #177, September 1975)

Spy vs. Spy (MAD #60, January 1961)

The very first comic! Neither one died!

Hey Look!

TofuDiva posted:

So, all you folks who really understand newspaper comic history: why was the art in some of these classic soap opera serial strips so beautiful and, well, artistic? These guys were cranking out a strip a day, weren't they? Yet every character in Rip Kirby has a real face and body and expressiveness, and Ben Bolt's people and settings have weight and line and individuality. Aunt Martha there is exquisite. By comparison, the current soap strips show nowhere near the care or skill. Or... style?

What was different? Were there just a few incredible artists, or was something else in play?

(Props to Prince Valiant because Foster created it beautiful and it's still beautiful, but it's kind of in a different category since it's once a week. Although given how complex each installment is, maybe it's not in a different category in terms of work. I dunno about that.)

They were drawn bigger. Also, these cartoonists likely had assistants helping out.

Mister Beeg fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Sep 4, 2014

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

TofuDiva posted:

These strips used to be printed across an entire page, not the cramped two- or three-column layout they get today. When Prince Valiant was first in print, he'd get most of a page to himself! If those were printed in today's papers, you'd have to squint just to tell that Rip Kirby is wearing glasses.

R Ubbish
Apr 15, 2013

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Mister Beeg posted:

They were drawn bigger. Also, these cartoonists likely had assistants helping out.

RandomFerret posted:

These strips used to be printed across an entire page, not the cramped two- or three-column layout they get today. When Prince Valiant was first in print, he'd get most of a page to himself! If those were printed in today's papers, you'd have to squint just to tell that Rip Kirby is wearing glasses.

Wow. I knew there was a size difference between old and new, but didn't realize these were originally full page width. That certainly explains it. Didn't know about the assistants, either. Thanks! :tipshat:

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

You're a gem. Please never stop.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

This is the utter truth :colbert:

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

You are a treasure, you know that? :allears:

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

:swoon:

Let's catch up with Mark Trail!

The Office Hours will continue.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
Pickles: time to resod!

Bleeker: Karl knows more than he usually lets on.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

That lady is going to have a big future in live television, I just know it.

TampaTango
Apr 12, 2007

COMICS CRIMINAL

Is the the original?

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Fingerpori

- Can you cover up this tattoo?
- I-I think so...
An hour later:

Well, this is a bit tricky. Peitto as a tangible object means "a cover" or "a blanket", but generally it can mean any abstract "cover" or "coverage". The word used here was peittoon which is its illative case (usually "into", sometimes "onto"). It's kinda unintuitive (even the Finnish phrase is to my ear), but basically tatuoida peittoon, "to tattoo into cover" as it were, just means "to tattoo it so that it's covered up" in this case. Of course, it also how you would pronounce "to tattoo onto a blanket".

Jorma is a male name. Just imagine it says Dick.

Fok_It

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?
Jane's World

Oh jeeze. We're headed to :nws: territory.

Non Sequitur

Sure. At first, I thought it was smoking a cigarette.

Heavenly Nostrils

:)

Kliban's Cats

The Catte in the hatte. :v:

9 Chickweed Lane 9/4/2003

You faceplanted off a chair while a hummingbird watched?

Zits

Rough first day, huh? Also, potential low hanging fruit, etc.

Kevin & Kell

Not bad, Holbrook.

I like it when Lise does these. The close-up art is really nicely done.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

RandomFerret posted:

Definitely this. I've seen Skippy printed at two-thirds of the page width in the original newspapers, which is why seeing it scrunched into 2014-style comic strip space is such a headache.

Skippy (June 16, 1927)

Peanuts (September 7, 1967)

We would've also accepted "Sam Spayed, Detective".

Funky Winkerbean

Popeye

This comic strip is unfair to heroines. :colbert:

Rip Haywire doesn't necessarily have that problem, but he's got a full plate today.

Out Our Way (August 7-8, 1925)

COSMOS, with your hosts Stiffy the Cowboy and Wes the Writer Guy Whose Name I Had To Look Up. Today's episode: the theory of relativity.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Cul-de-sac does something neat with the art today.

Poptropica

Heathcliff He's gotta get 'em custom made...

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Heathcliff He's gotta get 'em custom made...

C-come on, Morty. I mean, does your car look like a smaller version of your house?

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
I'm banking on it being unsold Heathcliff merchandise.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Monty

Mike du Jour

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set gets in an :iceburn:? I guess?

I'm also adding Working Daze to my rotation or whatever so you can see John Zakour almost, but not quite, make jokes.

Nobody says that; it's "work smarter, not harder". Also what the hell is going on with that desk?

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Evil Mastermind posted:

I'm also adding Working Daze to my rotation or whatever so you can see John Zakour almost, but not quite, make jokes.

Nobody says that; it's "work smarter, not harder". Also what the hell is going on with that desk?

Neat, it's gonna be a new game of "spot the fetish!"

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

What the gently caress is this poo poo? Lester is so loving horrible, you hate him more than the stereotypical hipsters he draws.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Honestly, Zakour's other strip is so loving terrible that seeing this just trying (and not always succeeding) at being a genial, modern office comic strip is actually kinda nice.

Great Moments in Rock 'n' Roll

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Allen Wren posted:

Honestly, Zakour's other strip is so loving terrible that seeing this just trying (and not always succeeding) at being a genial, modern office comic strip is actually kinda nice.

Great Moments in Rock 'n' Roll

Some of these, like this one, are really cool.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

For some reason I was expecting Thorax to make an appearance here.

Pibgorn

Pibgorn must have been pretty bored during this scene if she took time out to start finger-painting the stage.

Zachary Nixon Johnson

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Howard the Duck

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Pumps are all clearly displayed in bars. Someone didn't feel like drawing a cellar.

Tom Gauld is good this week

It's also a direct reference to Will Self's latest, which has been toted around as the last panel.

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

9 Chickweed Lane 9/4/2003

You faceplanted off a chair while a hummingbird watched?

It's me the new badboy editor on the scene

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Move along, Nothing to See Here Comix.

Pooch Café

This is supposed to be a running gag, but it only shows up maybe once a year, one of which was a weird 9/11 tribute.

Ballard Street

I fall into this trap every now and again. Eventually I decide that a better place, car or job wouldn't actually make me any happier, and the last six hours I spent playing flash games wasn't really wasted.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Some of these, like this one, are really cool.

I appreciate this comic for how weird and offbeat it is, even if it's not always about music. Sometimes it just knocks it out of the park, though.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Evil Mastermind posted:

She looks like Lucy Van Pelt as an adult.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Aardmania posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

Holy poo poo, is the loving nine-month flashback finally over? :monocle:

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Mother Goose & Grimm

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Aardmania posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

Know what? If Brooke actually had the balls to do that in this, what he wants to be, very serious story arc, I would've gut laughed. It would've been a perfect ending.

RandomFerret posted:

I fall into this trap every now and again. Eventually I decide that a better place, car or job wouldn't actually make me any happier, and the last six hours I spent playing flash games wasn't really wasted.

Whoa. We share the exact same life philosophy. It's a good thing. :v:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Evil Mastermind posted:

Holy poo poo, is the loving nine-month flashback finally over? :monocle:

Nah, it's just time to start the 9 month flashback again but from his perspective.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Apartment 3-G

OMG MY FIANCE DIED I'M SO SAD!!! :haw:

Pros & Cons

Sally Forth

The first day of school in the 6th grade was the first time I ever had to use a combination lock and I couldn't make it work. (It was a weird kind where you have to push in the knob when you turn it to the third number.) I was too timid to ask an adult for help and I sure as hell wasn't going to show any weakness to my classmates, so I just carried everything on my back forever.

Well, for a few months anyway. However long it took for my dad to get sick of watching his daughter act like a moron and drag my stupid rear end to school on a Saturday so he could show me how to open a locker.

And then I lived happily ever after and junior high was never a tortuous experience again. The end.

The Amazing Spider-Man

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Emmy Lou

Mandrake the Magician

The Phantom

Classic Prince Valiant will be taking a break today because I don't have time to upload more strips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Julet Esqu posted:

Sally Forth

The first day of school in the 6th grade was the first time I ever had to use a combination lock and I couldn't make it work. (It was a weird kind where you have to push in the knob when you turn it to the third number.) I was too timid to ask an adult for help and I sure as hell wasn't going to show any weakness to my classmates, so I just carried everything on my back forever.

Well, for a few months anyway. However long it took for my dad to get sick of watching his daughter act like a moron and drag my stupid rear end to school on a Saturday so he could show me how to open a locker.

And then I lived happily ever after and junior high was never a tortuous experience again. The end.
Lockers weren't even an option for us in middle school except for in PE, where we had to provide our own lock. Even if they were, the school was so oddly designed that they probably wouldn't have been terribly convenient. There was situations were the five minutes between class was just enough to get from one class to another if you walked quickly.

In high school, you could only get a locker if you had three or more academic classes in a semester since we were on a four class per semester block schedule and my school was so severely overcrowded. I think I got one one or two semesters and never bothered to use it since it wasn't convenient to where any of my classes were located.

• Locked thread