Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

eXXon posted:

It's listed in the promo page. I guess it's part of the world saver add-on that also gives lower long distance rates.

https://www.windmobile.ca/phone-plan-35

Yeah that was my mistake. Didn't see it listed under the "pay after bonus."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freshwater Louie
Jun 22, 2004

fffffffff
My contract is ending soon and apparently Bell/Virgin has ridiculously good plans here in the good ol' province of Manitoba. The only reason I would consider them over anything else is that Bell's network has coverage in the obscure areas where I work. In years past not too many people had good things to say about Bell as a company. Would I be making a terrible mistake by switching over?

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

Freshwater Louie posted:

My contract is ending soon and apparently Bell/Virgin has ridiculously good plans here in the good ol' province of Manitoba. The only reason I would consider them over anything else is that Bell's network has coverage in the obscure areas where I work. In years past not too many people had good things to say about Bell as a company. Would I be making a terrible mistake by switching over?

The coverage deal they have with MTS is a bit different from your typical coverage share. It's technically just a roaming agreement. It could disappear at any time, but I doubt it.

Take advantage of their offers while you can - it's quite likely that they'll eventually bump their prices up now that they have coverage that isn't awful. When/if you buy a phone, make sure to ask the salesperson about any other promotions they have going on. Bell often runs promotions on the down low in Manitoba, they're being incredibly aggressive to try and take MTS marketshare to lower their value and presumably eventually buy them. They'll often even have better promotions if you're porting specifically from MTS.

They'll have GS5 and other flagships on for $0 when they're $100+ in other provinces. Plus the rate plans are way better.

Bell is still terrible but so are Rogers and everyone else. Your only better plan option would be Koodo but Telus/Koodo haven't obtained the MTS coverage like Bell has to my knowledge.

Nairbo fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Aug 27, 2014

Freshwater Louie
Jun 22, 2004

fffffffff

Godinster posted:

Bell is still terrible but so are Rogers and everyone else. Your only better plan option would be Koodo but Telus/Koodo haven't obtained the MTS coverage like Bell has to my knowledge.

Thanks for the input! As far as I am aware Bell shares network coverage with Telus (who I am with now) throughout Manitoba so my service wouldn't technically decrease. Bell is pretty much the only service provider in the area of the country where I am for the majority of my work so it is good to know that they aren't the worst provider out there.

Besides, gently caress MTS. I have personally had zero good interactions with them.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

Freshwater Louie posted:

Thanks for the input! As far as I am aware Bell shares network coverage with Telus (who I am with now) throughout Manitoba so my service wouldn't technically decrease.

Yeah that's true. But they also get MTS reception right now as of last month, which is the best in the province even if MTS themselves are poo poo. You get the best of both worlds.

I never thought I'd associate the word "Bell" and "best" with anything.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

My 4+ year old Galaxy is finally starting to give up the ghost and I think I'm in the market for a new unlocked android to put my virgin SIM into.

http://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...+ce%2Caps%2C226

Are any of those unlocked phones on Amazon.ca worth it for $<$200 or should I just bite the bullet and order a Nexus 5?

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
Dude, just get a nexus.

rt_hat
Aug 3, 2003
YARRRR
Get a Nexus, I got a used Nexus 5 for $200 my girlfriend this past Monday and she's pretty happy with it.

One thing you might need is a micro sim card, it's a smaller form factor than the normal sized one that's probably in your existing phone.

The people at the Virgin Mobile kiosk gave me a sim card free when I was getting PAYG set up for my mom. However my girlfriend is on Telus and had to pay $11.50 for the micro sim. I think it depends on the mood of the sales rep.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

The Lumia 520 and Moto G are well-regarded budget phones, but Amazon's prices are not good. They regularly go on sale for $50-70 and $120-130, respectively, if you don't mind getting Virgin/Bell-locked versions. I don't think you can do much better than the Moto G if you want Android particularly... one of the gazillion varieties of Xperia or something?

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Aug 27, 2014

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.
Anybody using WIND in Abbotsford? Are you happy with it? I'm trying to decide between WIND and Koodo.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Isn't a Nexus going to be announced real soon? Maybe at IFA in a week? Wait for that, if not for the 6 then for the 5's price drop.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

El Generico posted:

Anybody using WIND in Abbotsford? Are you happy with it? I'm trying to decide between WIND and Koodo.

WIND works fine when I'm in Abbotsford. They even cover places like Auguston which was a nice surprise.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

rt_hat posted:

Get a Nexus, I got a used Nexus 5 for $200 my girlfriend this past Monday and she's pretty happy with it.

One thing you might need is a micro sim card, it's a smaller form factor than the normal sized one that's probably in your existing phone.

The people at the Virgin Mobile kiosk gave me a sim card free when I was getting PAYG set up for my mom. However my girlfriend is on Telus and had to pay $11.50 for the micro sim. I think it depends on the mood of the sales rep.

I cut my sim card down with scissors, too. There are templates you can print off that make it pretty easy

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Reverse Centaur posted:

Isn't a Nexus going to be announced real soon? Maybe at IFA in a week? Wait for that, if not for the 6 then for the 5's price drop.

I'm heading down south on holidays late next week for a couple weeks, so I probably won't order anything until I'm back at the very earliest but good point.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
How is wind in Saskatoon? And how bad are their roaming charges?

I'm in Calgary but travel to Saskatoon fairly regularly. If the roaming fees aren't too bad it's probably cheaper to switch to wind and have a much lower monthly cost and roaming then the stay with bell.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

Demon_Corsair posted:

How is wind in Saskatoon? And how bad are their roaming charges?

I'm in Calgary but travel to Saskatoon fairly regularly. If the roaming fees aren't too bad it's probably cheaper to switch to wind and have a much lower monthly cost and roaming then the stay with bell.

You'll be roaming on Rogers in Saskatoon, WIND never launched in SK despite saying they would. Rogers reception is SK is absolutely dreadful too.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
Rogers has LTE in Saskatoon. Everywhere else is Edge or nothing.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Just realized that I'm off my Rogers contract. Thinking of taking the plunge on Wind and trading coverage and reception for reasonable prices. Anyone in the Kitchener-Waterloo area know how their coverage is around here?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

attackmole posted:

Just realized that I'm off my Rogers contract. Thinking of taking the plunge on Wind and trading coverage and reception for reasonable prices. Anyone in the Kitchener-Waterloo area know how their coverage is around here?

Check cellmapper.net. You don't have very long to make up your mind, though - Wind's BTS promo ends in two days and their regular plans are not as generous. Are you planning to get a new phone? If so, Wind has a return policy. You can use it long enough to see if you get good reception wherever you plan to use your phone. I'm not sure about bring your own phone. You get credits if you do, but most stores charge $25 for a SIM and they might not refund it if you cancel your plan.

Porting your number will be a pain though. Regardless of who you switch to, Rogers will dick you around for the last month of service. You can try to call their retentions line and see what they're willing to offer you to stay.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Cool, thanks. I expect to be jerked around by Rogers over next months bill, it's pretty much par for the course. Im pretty dead set on wind because I'm curious and own an unlocked phone so switching plans isn't toooo big a deal, although since this is Canada I should probably have a helmet, flak jacket and day or two of spare time. I'm sure rogers will throw the moon at me to get me to stay but I'm not in a mood for negotiating.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

attackmole posted:

I live in KW. Wind is gets pretty decent reception around here.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

eXXon posted:

Porting your number will be a pain though. Regardless of who you switch to, Rogers will dick you around for the last month of service. You can try to call their retentions line and see what they're willing to offer you to stay.

I ported my Rogers number a few weeks ago and it wasn't a pain at all. My last bill was -$13.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Yeah, my number got ported fine. Now all I need to do is wait and see if I get any surprises on my final bill in a few weeks.

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here
I finished my contract with Rogers earlier in the year and ported immediately to Koodo. I was expecting a fight with my final bill but when the bill came in, it was a $0 balance.

ColonelMoutard
May 24, 2004
fyi, looks like petro canada has a decent 3g plan available for $30.

http://mobility.petro-canada.ca/en/features/396.aspx

good enough for most people and android + wifi + voip provider is easy enough to provide additional minutes

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Wow that's oddly ok for Canada

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 226 days!
I have an iPhone 4 locked to Bell. When I got it, unlocking was barely a thing for the iPhone 4 and was impossible using software. Today I called The Source (which handles Bell phones around here) to ask about the $50 unlock, and they told me to just look for a free tool online.

The problem is that Googling for iPhone unlocking means wading through an infinite sea of scams. Is there reliable software out there? Did they mean I have to jailbreak the phone?

ColonelMoutard
May 24, 2004
I'm not familiar with Bell or iPhones but I think the provider can do the unlock over the air, or provide you an unlock code if you call customer service. It's odd they would refer you to some grey market unlocking service on the net in stead of taking the cash.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 226 days!
Yeah. They also referred me to a grey-market store as an alternative AND couldn't name the program.

Bell usually wants you to have used their service for 90 days before they'll unlock a phone, or at least that was the case before. They're basically poo poo when it comes to unlocking, so I can only imagine that the Source guys would probably prefer to actually help a customer who might come back than stake their own reputation on Bell's lovely customer service.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

ColonelMoutard posted:

I'm not familiar with Bell or iPhones but I think the provider can do the unlock over the air, or provide you an unlock code if you call customer service. It's odd they would refer you to some grey market unlocking service on the net in stead of taking the cash.

Both Bell and Rogers can do it, it's online (they do it through Apple), it costs $50. You back up your phone (to a computer, to iCloud, whatever you want), then do a factory reset. When you plug it in to your computer, iTunes will be like, "Yay! Your phone is unlocked!" Then you restore from your backup and you're unlocked and all is gravy.

But it costs $50 because they're jerks.

Jailbreak unlocks are not really reliable for modern phones as far as I know, I'm not sure, I haven't looked into it in a long time. If you have an iPhone 4 you can totally do it since the bootloader is cracked to poo poo anyway, but past that I honestly don't know.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Hodgepodge posted:

I can only imagine that the Source guys would probably prefer to actually help a customer who might come back than stake their own reputation on Bell's lovely customer service.

The Source is a Bell company.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 226 days!
Oh. Well, at any rate the people working there evidently have little faith in their own unlocking service.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

ColonelMoutard posted:

fyi, looks like petro canada has a decent 3g plan available for $30.

http://mobility.petro-canada.ca/en/features/396.aspx

good enough for most people and android + wifi + voip provider is easy enough to provide additional minutes

The highest data plan # on there is 500mb?
edit: Wait you meant 3g signal not 3gb data haha, a girl can dream....

Scudworth fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Sep 4, 2014

ColonelMoutard
May 24, 2004
Yeah 3g as opposed to LTE. I think they use the rogers network but don't have access to the LTE network. anyways LTE is almost a liability w/ only 500mb.

for cheap 3gb of data consider tbaytel prepaid, you'll roam on the rogers network using the same bucket, 100$ prepaid card lasts 365 days & 3gb of data is $25.

http://www.tbaytel.net/personal/mobility/prepaid/informationplans

only catch is you need to convince a dealer or someone in tbay to get a sim for you.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

^ hmm, that could be an excellent tablet option!

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
isn't the cost of unlocking an iphone different depending on carriers

I unlocked mine for $35 on telus, and last I remembered, rogers is $50, and (of course) bell is $75

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit
Bell's is also $50. And don't ask the Source questions about stuff. They're merely a dealer for Bell products and probably wouldn't know much about anything beyond basic product knowledge.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You have to either use the service for 90 days or the phone has to be paid off.

An iPhone 4 is paid off by now.

Just call Bell.

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

PS. Love the cabin posted:

Is it safe to assume that for the next 5 years the best option is to find the cleanest dick to suck in terms of providers?
I asked in a Wind store and they said that pretty much past Brampton it's $1/MB.

Where past Brampton? North? You're fairly good until you hit Barrie but hosed after that. Also it's just $0.05/MB now but obv you posted this before the 21st.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

New Moto X is with Telus exclusively in Canada, so I guess they want this one to be a disappointing seller too.