Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
So I'm playing the first Witcher right now, and is it just me or is the bit after the Professor's boss 'fight' really terrible and didn't need to be in the game at all. Any tips for it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
Drink as many potions as you can. Have silver talented igni. Spam fire.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
The Kikimore Queen?

Roshnak
Jul 22, 2007

Lycus posted:

The Kikimore Queen?

Yeah, this is what I was going to ask, because potions and igni are definitely not going to help you there.

If this is where you're at you have to break the cave supports with aard in order to crush the queen

Roshnak fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Sep 4, 2014

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
I misread and thought it was for the Professor fight itself (been a while). Yeah the Queen is not a direct combat encounter. Ard stuff and run.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I remember trying to fight the Kikimore Queen the first time I played this part. I was like "What the gently caress? This is impossible." before I figured what you're really supposed to do.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Even when you know exactly what to do it can take a few tries. The scripting is only as good as the NWN engine, which isn't great.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Lord Lambeth posted:

Nah, all you really need is a controller. And spec in stealth/pistols, it's basically easy mode.

Nonsense, shotguns and fists all the way. In this game, knocking someone down with a shotgun and then punching their throat is nonlethal.

Fun Fact: this game has an Orphans Created statistic after every mission.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

dud root posted:

Even when you know exactly what to do it can take a few tries. The scripting is only as good as the NWN engine, which isn't great.

As janky as The Witcher 1 is I still think CD Projekt deserves tons of praise for what they managed to do with that ancient decrepit engine. Especially given it was their first internally developed game ever.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Oh no, I understood that. I should have been more clear, I mean the part after the first couple supports where there's this huge pack of Kikimores. Do I just kite all of them out? No real room to just run by.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Yeah theres no need to fight anything, especially the smaller kiki workers. Kite them until the boss shows up, then aard a support or two. Then curse that you also crushed yourself and try again

e: Its also possible to get lovely kikimore worker spawns, and they trap you before the larger arena. Then the boss one shots you from behind

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Lycus posted:

I remember trying to fight the Kikimore Queen the first time I played this part. I was like "What the gently caress? This is impossible." before I figured what you're really supposed to do.

I think I once fought the golem directly for fun.

Lord Lambeth posted:

I always thought the blue stripes jacket looked really silly. Why would I want to hide Geralt's luxurious mane of hair?

The worst part is that if you play the prolog, every option and flashback in the interrogation resets it so Geralt always wears it during cutscenes :negative:

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

GrossMurpel posted:

I think I once fought the golem directly for fun.

The worst part is that if you play the prolog, every option and flashback in the interrogation resets it so Geralt always wears it during cutscenes :negative:

Roche starts each interrogation segment with "So, you were wearing that jacket I gave you?" and Geralt has to correct him.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
It doesn't help that basically every other piece of armor in the game that Geralt can wear looks cooler than the Blue Stripes jacket.

Seriously, Geralt had a lot of cool loving armor options in TW2. A shame a lot of them were hard to justify form a price/stats perspective and you tended to use one of the same 6 or so options all the time depending on how far in you were.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Note to self: If absolutely everyone says Dark Mode armor is ridiculously expensive, maybe believe it instead of thinking "how bad can it be?"
Just bought the diagrams and I'm out of money :smithicide:

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I already found crafting to be incredibly laborious and expensive in the base game. Dark Mode had me reaching for mods.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

dud root posted:

Yeah theres no need to fight anything, especially the smaller kiki workers. Kite them until the boss shows up, then aard a support or two. Then curse that you also crushed yourself and try again

e: Its also possible to get lovely kikimore worker spawns, and they trap you before the larger arena. Then the boss one shots you from behind

Oh that's nice.

Any save editors for this game?

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Shumagorath posted:

I already found crafting to be incredibly laborious and expensive in the base game. Dark Mode had me reaching for mods.

The advantage of non-Dark Mode is that you don't need to craft anything except maybe one armor.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Outside of dark mode, crafting is mainly for diamond armor reinforcements, knives and runes.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
As with Ciri and Geralt, CDPR put out a cosplay guide for Yennefer which shows off what she looks like in the game. Warning: she's wearing heels.

http://en.cdprojektred.com/news/the-witcher-cosplay-guide-yennefer/

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

BURN THIS SICK poo poo TO THE GROUND

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
You don't need to craft any of the Dark Mode arms or armor. They are there, tempting you, but they're hardly required. In Dark Mode position, aggression, and picking targets are more important than stats.

If, after a few goes, you can get to or beat the warewolf in the arena on Dark you can easily beat the entire game.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Cirofren posted:

You don't need to craft any of the Dark Mode arms or armor. They are there, tempting you, but they're hardly required. In Dark Mode position, aggression, and picking targets are more important than stats.

If, after a few goes, you can get to or beat the warewolf in the arena on Dark you can easily beat the entire game.

Yeah, we already discussed the best swords. I'll at leats try the armor out (except Blasphemer's gloves, I'll keep getting double the herbs instead thankyouverymuch). I'm hoping that in Chapter 2 with the harpies it gets easier to get money, because that armor has nice stats.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

That Yennefer outfit is cool as gently caress

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Dr. Abysmal posted:

As with Ciri and Geralt, CDPR put out a cosplay guide for Yennefer which shows off what she looks like in the game. Warning: she's wearing heels.

http://en.cdprojektred.com/news/the-witcher-cosplay-guide-yennefer/

Yennefer wearing heels makes perfect sense because she's vain as gently caress and cares about looks more than practicality. Also she's magic, and, like crazily strong at magic. She's not planning on running away from anything at any point.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

The cosplay guide for Geralt should've had him in heels.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Silver spiked heels. Those boots are for monsters.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

The Sharmat posted:

Silver spiked heels. Those boots are for monsters.

gently caress those monsters up Metal Gear Rising style.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
He does have spurs.

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009

Pwnstar posted:

That Yennefer outfit is cool as gently caress
Besides the heels it actually looks pretty sensible and modest and not at all like some weird fetish wear

By which I mean someone will have modded in tit windows and stockings by Day 1

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Scandalous posted:

Besides the heels it actually looks pretty sensible and modest and not at all like some weird fetish wear

By which I mean someone will have modded in tit windows and stockings by Day 1

Mid thigh boots are modest and sensible?

It's extravagant and renaissance-punk, exactly what a sorceress should be

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Mid thigh boots are modest and sensible?

It's extravagant and renaissance-punk, exactly what a sorceress should be
Modest in the sense of not being as needlessly revealing as the sorceresses in TW2 for example. Even Sile de Tansarville, who is explicitly described as not being one to dress provocatively, is waltzing around with her knockers out.

Also Yen looks like a musketeer and that's p cool

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
Just, btw, heels on women are extremely common in poland, they aren't considered fancy or overtly sexual at all. People wear them to work.

EDIT: I'm not trying to start poo poo.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Women wear heels to work (or just when they feel like it) in the US too, goons are just really weird about heels.

I only didn't like it on Ciri because she was presumably in her "running headlong across country just ahead of an army of wraiths" outfit and it didn't make sense.

Sorceresses should totally be about looking cool over being practical. It's kinda their thing.

funakupo
May 9, 2006

the ultimate longterm partner
Oven Wrangler
Riding boots with heels, even some high heeled, are extremely common in almost every country. I also don't understand the complaint about wrong shoes on Ciri/Yennefer is representative of fantastical or even partially realistic setting. Current and historical fashion show otherwise.

mcswizzle
Jul 26, 2009

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Just, btw, heels on women are extremely common in poland, they aren't considered fancy or overtly sexual at all. People wear them to work.

EDIT: I'm not trying to start poo poo.

That's exactly what someone trying to start poo poo would say, you heels-racist

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Yeah, but their work probably doesn't routinely involve hiking. Or swording monsters. Or muder-hoboing in general.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Haha I just tried crafting one of the swords without saving to try it out and the effect is hilarious.
And I'm also wondering whether the +25% damage to gargoyles and dragons from Deithwen is really better than the vitality drain/giving vitality to Geralt ability of the Dark Mode swords. Any input?

E: Can I just sell the diagrams after I craft parts of the armor? I won't need them anymore, right?

GrossMurpel fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Sep 5, 2014

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

funakupo posted:

Riding boots with heels, even some high heeled, are extremely common in almost every country. I also don't understand the complaint about wrong shoes on Ciri/Yennefer is representative of fantastical or even partially realistic setting. Current and historical fashion show otherwise.

I think it's just because it seems impractical to run around in heels or fight monsters or whatever. There are a million shows on TV where women cops chase bad guys in heels, spy movies where women spies are kicking dudes in heels, etc for fear that the women characters wouldn't look feminine enough if they didn't. No one sane is arguing that women characters should never wear heels or anything like that.

In fact not a single person has complained about heels on the Yennefer!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Dreylad posted:

In fact not a single person has complained about heels on the Yennefer!

One person did like 9 posts above you.

• Locked thread