Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

Ghostpilot posted:

I recalled hearing that back in the day, the 1-2-3 Kid was the test for newcomers to the company - if they couldn't have at least a decent match with him, chances are they weren't going to make it.

Is there anyone nowadays who fills a similar role?

Christian used to but he's been injured so much it hasn't been useful lately

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maxallen
Nov 22, 2006

Ghostpilot posted:

I recalled hearing that back in the day, the 1-2-3 Kid was the test for newcomers to the company - if they couldn't have at least a decent match with him, chances are they weren't going to make it.

Not really as far as I'm aware, it's much different than back then, since back then you didn't have a dedicated developmental system, and there were still vestiges of territories and there was WCW. At that time, they threw people in dark matches at a TV taping to see how the crowd reacted - these days they have closed door tryouts at NXT, followed by months to years of being in developmental before someone goes to the main roster - plenty of vetting.

wizardstick
Apr 27, 2013
I think Val Venis also had the role in the post-Invasion WWE for a good few years. I remember him being the one they reportedly had New Jack attempt to have a match with (when he was considered for the John Cena stabbing angle) only to find out New Jack can't wrestle.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
On the other hand, Cena would have at least looked like he'd been stabbed.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I think even New Jack pointed out how retarded it was to bring him in expecting him to do a straight wrestling match.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Is it Curtis Axel?

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

i mean that is kinda true, if you can't have at least a passable match with cena at this point there's probably not much hope for you

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

To be fair, most of Cena's matches are passable. It's just that the endings make no sense and no-sell whatever happened before.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

What effect if any has the end of the brand split in 2011 had on Smackdown's ratings?

The show seems so unimportant now and I have no plans to watch it when it moves even though I seldom have plans Wednesday night.

Much less people on here seem to watch it compared to a couple years ago, and I was wondering if the ratings have noticeably decreased in that timeframe.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I looked to see if Val Venis and Waltman ever had matches together, and I found this:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8uzfd_val-venis-vs-x-pac_sport

Great stuff.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Less than 10 seconds in - that match had a 60 minute time limit!

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.

LividLiquid posted:

Is it Curtis Axel?

I'd think he would be the guy if they had one. Nobody can pull bad wrestlers to the gates of "meh, passable" like Curtis Axel.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

EugeneJ posted:

I looked to see if Val Venis and Waltman ever had matches together, and I found this:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8uzfd_val-venis-vs-x-pac_sport

Great stuff.

That pop for Goldust's music is ridiculous.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

HulkaMatt posted:

Less than 10 seconds in - that match had a 60 minute time limit!

speaking of which when did they do away with announced falls/time limits? it seemed weirdly anachronistic in the attitude era but i think they could stand to bring back 10/15 minute time limits on TV matches these days just to give them an out that isn't the same tedious gently caress finishes we see every week

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Ghostpilot posted:

As some have said, yeah, it's Curtis Axel. He was the one who they had give The Rock his tune-up matches on his return because they trust him in the ring more than most people. So was Curt Hawkins, apparently. I've heard Tyson Kidd has somewhat of the same distinction, which is probably why they sent him down to NXT because they had no main card angles for him.

Why has it historically been so difficult for top babyfaces to have long-term friends in WWE? Why does everyone have to be a loner? I get the whole "I can do it all by myself" hero thing, but all the best story heroes win with the help of their friends and allies. Hogan/Savage was basically to set up a feud, I can't remember Attitude top faces having lasting friendships ever, Cena's A Bad Friend has been a running joke for years, face Orton was always a loner, and they removed Reigns from Ambrose as soon as they decided to give him the torch. It puts everyone over by association, so why are faces so rarely allies?

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

sticklefifer posted:

As some have said, yeah, it's Curtis Axel. He was the one who they had give The Rock his tune-up matches on his return because they trust him in the ring more than most people. So was Curt Hawkins, apparently. I've heard Tyson Kidd has somewhat of the same distinction, which is probably why they sent him down to NXT because they had no main card angles for him.

Why has it historically been so difficult for top babyfaces to have long-term friends in WWE? Why does everyone have to be a loner? I get the whole "I can do it all by myself" hero thing, but all the best story heroes win with the help of their friends and allies. Hogan/Savage was basically to set up a feud, I can't remember Attitude top faces having lasting friendships ever, Cena's A Bad Friend has been a running joke for years, face Orton was always a loner, and they removed Reigns from Ambrose as soon as they decided to give him the torch. It puts everyone over by association, so why are faces so rarely allies?

I think WWE just like the 'every man for himself' idea. It's a thing in wrestling that friendships only last as long as they need to before they do a turn.

One of the things I liked in the Attitude era is there were a lot of alliances. You have factions, but people within that had individual feuds, it wasn't just all about what the faction are doing. It allowed people to have 'friends' so when someone did a run in or something like that then it was understandable.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

sticklefifer posted:

They barely book anything beyond the main event to have an actual story so in the event that some top baby-face has face-friends it is 9 times out of 10 because he's facing a heel who is leading a team and the other faces are the team's current opponents. IE: They don't really bother giving faces any motivation to be friends beyond "Oh hey, you're fighting these guys too."

The only exception to the rule I can think of is on-again off-again friends like the Brothers of Destruction or DX where they have their spats and are back to being friends ever other year.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

sticklefifer posted:

They don't mention spouses or children unless they want to be on TV, and only then if they want to make an angle out of it. Reigns has a daughter, so does Orton, etc.

This is funny. I watch a lot of old NWA poo poo on the network and it seems like every face's motivation is to provide for his family, and the dastardly heel's cowardly attack is preventing them from doing that.

birdlaw
Dec 25, 2006

Daniel Bryan posted:

The story is also told that Orton was to be the next big thing up until his botched WHC run. He was supposed to get the HHH feud into Mania 21 but Batista got the spot instead.

This is a crosspost from the Podcast thread, but I recently watched the Batista doc on the Network, and they seemed to be pretty dismissive of Orton during the entire thing. Was he on the outs for some reason when they made it, or was it just a case of reducing his status because of Randy and Dave's similar career paths?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
When did WWE stop doing surprise run ins and instead always play the guy's music while he hits the ring?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

birdlaw posted:

This is a crosspost from the Podcast thread, but I recently watched the Batista doc on the Network, and they seemed to be pretty dismissive of Orton during the entire thing. Was he on the outs for some reason when they made it, or was it just a case of reducing his status because of Randy and Dave's similar career paths?

Wasn't that around the time he was getting Wellnessed every few months as well as having behavioral problems backstage?

Bigass Moth posted:

When did WWE stop doing surprise run ins and instead always play the guy's music while he hits the ring?

I'm not sure when it happened, but it's ridiculous. If it's an "unplanned surprise", especially if it's supposed to be a sneak attack, how would anyone know what music to play and when? Or do the guys in the production trucks just see someone running by Gorilla or through the crowd and figure "poo poo's going down, better play that guy's music!"

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

Bigass Moth posted:

They didn't, it still happens occasionally. Ambrose is a good example as of late.

It's a combination of less run-ins in general from Attitude Era-and later booking and also wanting to get cheap pops by hitting the music of established faces as much as possible.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Can anyone explain why Shawn Stasiak was a jobber joke when he was Stan Stasiak's son and also a legit amateur?

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Bigass Moth posted:

Can anyone explain why Shawn Stasiak was a jobber joke when he was Stan Stasiak's son and also a legit amateur?

The guy was really weird and creeped out the locker room, especially when he taped a backstage conversation as "a rib" which led to his firing. I'm thinking that had something to do with it.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Bigass Moth posted:

He was a god awful wrestler/performer, so bad people thought being paired with him would tank Kiebler's career.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I'm not sure when it happened, but it's ridiculous. If it's an "unplanned surprise", especially if it's supposed to be a sneak attack, how would anyone know what music to play and when? Or do the guys in the production trucks just see someone running by Gorilla or through the crowd and figure "poo poo's going down, better play that guy's music!"

It's been well established that all wrestlers have RFID chips in their boots and their themes trigger whenever they enter an arena. :v:

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

sticklefifer posted:

It's been well established that all wrestlers have RFID chips in their boots and their themes trigger whenever they enter an arena the Titantrooooon. :v:

Fixed.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

sticklefifer posted:

I can't remember Attitude top faces having lasting friendships ever

Dude...Rock N'Sock

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

birdlaw posted:

That might have been one of those all-too-rare moments where someone in the company remembered that Orton actually sucks.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

sticklefifer posted:

I don't know poo poo about wrestling
but it seems like baby faces being loners is more conducive to booking them as underdogs.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Exactly, heel faction = cowards who need multiple people to back them up.

Lonely face = hero who struggles alone and still comes out on top.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

When you put it like that, it's hardly surprising that almost everyone in the rasslin' industry is super right wing

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

Has there ever been a good little man/big man match where the little guy dominates with speed and agility?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

ZDar Fan posted:

Has there ever been a good little man/big man match where the little guy dominates with speed and agility?

That's like Spike Dudley's entire career.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Bigass Moth posted:

That's like Spike Dudley's entire career.
Don't know that Spike Dudley has ever dominated a match with speed OR agility. Or dominated a match.

ZDar Fan posted:

Probably a lot of Rey Mysterio matches, I'm not sure.

Akira Tozawa matches are great for that. He picks up momentum and just throws himself at people until they fall down, so I'd gander that a lot of Dragon Gate is like that. WCW Cruiserweight competing for the US/TV title also seem to fit that mold, especially someone like Dean Malenko

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
You're doubting the history of "the Giant Killer" Spike Dudley?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Flameingblack posted:

Probably a lot of Rey Mysterio matches, I'm not sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OR_DgTcUgWk

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Spike Dudley's whole bit was that he'd either surprise a big guy and beat him in like five seconds, or he'd run into someone mean like Bam Bam Bigelow or Mike Awesome who'd just kick his rear end.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I read somewhere after Bruiser Brody got killed in Puerto Rico there was some conspiracy of works inside works to somehow get the Yakuza to kill Invader #1 that involved a Japanese wrestler blading himself at a press conference and saying Invader stabbed him too, until the Japanese fans turned on the whole thing at how stupid it is. The gently caress was up with that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Why didn't anyone tell me that this existed?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Learning_the_Ropes