Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

I use a lovely £90 sigma 70-300 macro and it's horrible but gets the job done.

I also have a reverse ring and extension tube setup that is a massive pain the arse to use and focus.

If I had to use the second setup all the time I wouldn't have half the photos that I have from this summer.

So yeah, if you had a nice easy to use macro lens you'd probably use it more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

This summer has seen a bumper crop of flies the size of large grapes. The kind you need a tennis racket to swat. At least they're easier to deal with than the horse flies of last summer, where nothing short of a shotgun would scare them off.

Geniuses like this dude:

DSCF1568.jpg by Brian.M.K, on Flickr

Have been building webs on the big windows of our hangar doors. When the doors are closed, the monster flies head straight for the windows. When the doors are up, the windows are directly below the lights, which also draw the flies.

The spiders eat like kings and are getting super huge. If this continues I'll have to start posting their photos in the portrait thread.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Rot posted:

This summer has seen a bumper crop of flies the size of large grapes. The kind you need a tennis racket to swat. At least they're easier to deal with than the horse flies of last summer, where nothing short of a shotgun would scare them off.

Geniuses like this dude:

DSCF1568.jpg by Brian.M.K, on Flickr

Have been building webs on the big windows of our hangar doors. When the doors are closed, the monster flies head straight for the windows. When the doors are up, the windows are directly below the lights, which also draw the flies.

The spiders eat like kings and are getting super huge. If this continues I'll have to start posting their photos in the portrait thread.

Do it anyways.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Mr. Despair posted:

You want something easier to take out an use, but you want to ditch your super simple setup and go with something that needs a tripod? gently caress that. Unless you're focus stacking just leave a flash on the camera and go to town.

Well, I've decided to grab the Sigma (105), but that last comment - is the flash necessary? I can imagine it being useful when shooting stuff below a canopy in a dense forest. Would a 430EX II suffice or do I need a crazy multi-flash setup?

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

ijyt posted:

Well, I've decided to grab the Sigma (105), but that last comment - is the flash necessary? I can imagine it being useful when shooting stuff below a canopy in a dense forest. Would a 430EX II suffice or do I need a crazy multi-flash setup?

IMHO macro gets a lot more interesting with a flash, the ability to stop way down or use extension tubes hinges on it, you also get to be more versatile in your subjects and how you choose to shoot them. I do all mine with a single 580EXII, but it's a little overpowered, I have actually stunned a fly causing it to fall from it's perch with the 580 set too high. The thing about macro is that you are basically putting your flash a couple inches from your subject, so you won't ever really need to go full power on it, even at f/16+. The most important part is getting the flash where you want it, so a ttl cord/transmitter is a must. You're also going to find that your arm is getting tired fast, so a bracket will probably be in your near future. The other thing you might want to think about is a diffuser for your flash, even if it's just some paper towels.

These were all taken with a single flash.

these ants are friends by cclunie, on Flickr

Portrait of a Fly by cclunie, on Flickr

goliath is vanquished by cclunie, on Flickr

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

That's a pretty convincing argument. There's a 430EX II going for £120 and a 580EX II for £200 (assuming they haven't been sold yet), but I think I'll go for the 430, as I'm already stretching my budget a bit.

e: with the transmitter, are you saying the in-built wireless of the 60D won't be enough?

ijyt fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Sep 4, 2014

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

ijyt posted:

That's a pretty convincing argument. There's a 430EX II going for £120 and a 580EX II for £200 (assuming they haven't been sold yet), but I think I'll go for the 430, as I'm already stretching my budget a bit.

e: with the transmitter, are you saying the in-built wireless of the 60D won't be enough?

If it's anything like my 7D then it will work most of the time in most situations, but it's going to be way more annoying than just a wire or a couple pocket wizards or similar wireless transceivers.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah, a flash to me is a far, far more useful upgrade to getting good macro shots compared to getting a new lens. You can get good shots with natural light, but a flash lets you take shots whenever you want, wherever you want.

Single flash, reverse mounted lens (taken at night!)

P8180717.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

P8180638.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

Single flash, dedicated macro lens

P7030026.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

You can also get some fun shadows with the flash if you try.

_5100561.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

As a hobbyist, thanks for supplying example images - it really helps. As an arachnophobe - jesus christ no.

Wooten posted:

If it's anything like my 7D then it will work most of the time in most situations, but it's going to be way more annoying than just a wire or a couple pocket wizards or similar wireless transceivers.

Now I know why people were lamenting the lack of a pc socket on the 60D. Those pocket wizards seem pretty expensive, man this is getting silly.

Wooten posted:

The $15 TTL cable is good enough though.

e: Oh thank god, a sub £100 item to buy. :v: I really appreciate you guys helping me out.

e2: Also, sorry for derailing this into a flash chat!

ijyt fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Sep 4, 2014

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

ijyt posted:

As a hobbyist, thanks for supplying example images - it really helps. As an arachnophobe - jesus christ no.

Now I know why people were lamenting the lack of a pc socket on the 60D. Those pocket wizards seem pretty expensive, man this is getting silly.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Wooten posted:

I've also heard the Yongnuo thrown around on various other forums, that should be functional enough if I want to get a bit more creative with positioning, right?

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

ijyt posted:

As an arachnophobe - jesus christ no.

Macro ain't for you, buddy :frogout:

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

seravid posted:

Macro ain't for you, buddy :frogout:

Jumping spiders, fine. Tarantulas, fine. Anything else? Ugh. I'll stick to beetles, bees, flies and centipedes - thanks very much.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Sorry, centipedes are way creepier than spiders; can't trust anything that runs away from light like it's holy water. Also, drops from ceilings without checking what or who is below.

Pictured: not creepy

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

ijyt posted:

I've also heard the Yongnuo thrown around on various other forums, that should be functional enough if I want to get a bit more creative with positioning, right?

I use a yongnuo 560 ex2, it's great. Manual only, but been great and reliable. I also use a cheap cowboy studio brand wireless trigger instead of a cable (was 20-25 bucks) and a 6x8" softbox diffuser.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

ijyt posted:

Yeah, they make a solid TTL wireless trigger. I've used it for remote flash stuff and its pretty great for run and gun TTL off camera flash. I've had a very minor issue come up where it dropped communication one time and I had to do a factory reset (hold two buttons for a couple seconds) to get it to talk to the body again, but for the price I paid it was no big deal. If you're only doing handheld macro, I'd just use the cable and a bracket though. You're going to want the flash basically right on top of your subject with a big diffuser.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

You guys make me want to get a bigger and better camera. I only bought mine (nikon d3100; I have the 18-55mm kit lens and a sigma 70-300mm lens) a few months ago :negative:

DSC_0082 by straygiraffe, on Flickr

DSC_0095 by straygiraffe, on Flickr

DSC_0028 by straygiraffe, on Flickr

DSC_0046 ed by straygiraffe, on Flickr

DSC_0166 by straygiraffe, on Flickr

Fraction fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Sep 6, 2014

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
The Olympus Tough TG-1 has a pretty drat good macro mode when you consider it's a waterproof p&s.

eP8310015 by nick.kneer, on Flickr

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

I have a Nikon d3100 and want to do more macro. Would the 50mm 1.8 be better for macro than my 18-55mm kit lens or my 70-300 sigma lens?

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

The 50mm and a lens reverser or some extension tubes would be a pretty good start.

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011
I guess it is not as Macro as most, but figure its the best thread for it anyhow.

20140913 Rainy purple by MedievalMedic, on Flickr

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Wooten posted:

The 50mm and a lens reverser or some extension tubes would be a pretty good start.

Yeah, here's an AIS 50mm reversed on my old Nikon D70.

and here's a 28mm reversed:

spookygonk fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Sep 20, 2014

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Just got back from Whistler. For some reason, a bunch of caterpillars were hanging out at the timberline? I shot this with a Fuji X-E2 and the 60mm f/2.4 macro.

DSCF3004 by Kelly_Davis, on Flickr

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

I am curious to see what other people are using for lighting setups, I have 2 flashes with triggers but really need to get a bracket for them (or something). Looking for suggestions or what other people are using for lighting setups.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Quick question for this thread:

I've got a nikon D3100 and recently picked up a sigma 28-80mm macro lens for next to nothing at a second hand shop. The lens works fine on my camera aside from being manual focus only, which doesn't bother me. Does the fact that I'm using a lens intended for a full frame camera mean that I'll get a smaller reproduction ratio, or simply be unable to get as close to the subject as I would if I had a full frame?

I'm asking because I could easily flick the lens off online for double what I paid and put it toward something more effective.

Sample photo of about as close as I seem to be able to get. The flower is roughly 2/3rd's of an inch across.

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

If I found the specs of the right lens, that particular Sigma can only do 1:2 on full frame. If I understand my optical systems correctly, though, the crop factor of APS-C gets you a little more magnification, so you're getting slightly more than a 1:2 ratio on your D3100.

If you really care about 1:1, you need a different lens.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Dia de Pikachutos
Nov 8, 2012

Turns out lichens look quite a bit different when you point a UV light at them!

The first one is a focus stack that doesn't really capture the colours, but I thought it was a fun image of something that's brown and nondescript.

Dia de Pikachutos fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Oct 13, 2014

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.

Butterfly by William T Hornaday, on Flickr

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

They're creepy looking motherfuckers up close aren't they?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Pair of house spiders that have helped takeover the bottom floor of the house I'm staying in for work. No one really uses that back door for some reason...

PA150136.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

PA150080.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Slavvy posted:

They're creepy looking motherfuckers up close aren't they?

All bugs are!

Dia de Pikachutos
Nov 8, 2012

toggle posted:

All bugs are!

Some more than others:
A quick tick by spongepuppy, on Flickr

Graniteman
Nov 16, 2002

spongepuppy posted:

Some more than others:

Nice shot!

Here are a few from a recent trip to Hawaii.
20140831-20140831-HA4A6124.jpg

Butterfly

Hoverfly tongue

Aphid with pollen

Ant tending aphids

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Bought a new flash, just waiting on diffusers

First shots

whitetail by Raikyn, on Flickr

Graniteman
Nov 16, 2002

Raikyn posted:

Bought a new flash, just waiting on diffusers
MT-24EX

I keep thinking about getting one. Given that the MR-14EX was just updated I keep hoping that the MT-24EX will be as well. I'm definitely buying one if it gets revised. The changes I'm hoping for are that it will allow finer adjustment of power in manual mode, and some better diffusion on the bulbs instead of just clear plastic. Also overheat protection would be nice.

What diffusers did you order?

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Went for these two
http://www.ebay.com/itm/321462128643?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
http://www.ebay.com/itm/271619381338?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Will probably use both together, and I've seen many people use a 3rd or 4th layer of diffusion as well. Hopefully just 2 layers will be enough for me, but they are quite harsh.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
I am in the process of building my own version of this: http://www.tripodhead.com/products/flash-bracket-macro-brackets.cfm for much cheaper. Hoping to have at prototype done this weekend, assuming it works out I will write something up in case anyone else is interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Crane Fly

crane fly by Raikyn, on Flickr

Lighting still harsh, no diffusers yet.