Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

The Bee posted:

That's a silly idea. How about Post Cyberpocalypse?

Slam. Jam. Shoot. Dunk. Long ago, the four nations lived together in harmony. Then everything changed when verboten jams attacked.

Omg codebending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

As seemingly popular as Korra has been streaming on their website, I wonder how effective it can possibly be to actually engage its viewers with the ads shown, when all the ads I saw were for tiny talking bird toys and Ninja Turtles. The show literally cuts from the brutal murder of an old woman to this.

And that's, of course, when any ads played at all. A few of the episodes I watched on their site were ad free because of some technical issue.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

If only action oriented older audience versions could live alongside comedy kid-friendly versions *RIP Young Justice* :cry:

(bring back Avatar Chibi shorts)

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Nichael posted:

As seemingly popular as Korra has been streaming on their website, I wonder how effective it can possibly be to actually engage its viewers with the ads shown, when all the ads I saw were for tiny talking bird toys and Ninja Turtles. The show literally cuts from the brutal murder of an old woman to this.

And that's, of course, when any ads played at all. A few of the episodes I watched on their site were ad free because of some technical issue.

It's not Nick or Korra specific, but this is something a lot of the industry is working to figure out. Right now, Nick's streaming is essentially another branch of their network. If they started creating content specifically for streaming, they'd likely need to create their own app service for it that would likely use the customized, targeted ads you see on Hulu. If they don't go the subscription route, anyway, but most cable networks are avoiding that for now.

A lot of studios, Nick included, will probably shift to the model that WB has used for years. WB has the CW, but for the most part they're a production studio that licenses all of their content to whoever will buy it. It's a model that has made them the most successful tv studio in the world. Online streaming like Hulu and Netflix has essentially opened the doors for any studio to do that. With Korra's online popularity, Nick could easily license out it and other new content to separate services so they can focus on just the animation production and not deal with the network. They'll never get rid of their cable channel, but they could use that for their target demo while hiring out their top talent teams as mercenaries on more adult-themed content to third parties fairly easily. If the talent and quality is there, someone will buy it.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Normally I hate prequels, but yeah, in Avatar I'd be all for one. The setting just works better in ye olden times.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Too bad we just had a waterbender Avatar because that surfer dude was rad as hell and would love to watch a whole season of him.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Rexides posted:

Too bad we just had a waterbender Avatar because that surfer dude was rad as hell and would love to watch a whole season of him.

If we're going full-online and abandoning the kid audience, let's get some :black101::unsmigghh:AVATAR KYOSHI:unsmigghh::black101: up in this motherfucker.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Going online isn't really synonymous with abandoning the kid audience these days, although it does mean kids have to actually go out of their way to watch it.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
If there isn't an Avatar Kyoshi spin off in my lifetime, I will be die unhappy.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I just want to see Kyoshi wreck poo poo.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
I don't think I want to see a spin-off about any particular Avatar.

I want to see a spin-off about every Avatar. Well, maybe not literally every Avatar, but close. Start with a new little story about Wan, and just run up from there. Some Avatars get a full episode, some would only get half an episode, some might even just be a little pre-credits "poo poo was good here so nothing happened" bit.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

VanSandman posted:

I just want to see Kyoshi wreck poo poo.

Get Pure Platinum ranks on every mission of the Korra game on hard mode to unlock Kyoshi mode.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
I'd like to see a story of the end of the Avatar age. Maybe some trippy far in the future 2001 type thing where the final Avatar realizes that all humans should be able to bed all elements. Sort of a magical version of the singularity.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

TheModernAmerican posted:

I'd like to see a story of the end of the Avatar age. Maybe some trippy far in the future 2001 type thing where the final Avatar realizes that all humans should be able to bed all elements. Sort of a magical version of the singularity.

Everyone is immediately bent into Tang, though.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Sounds like the triumphant return of Wang Fire

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

That actually sounds really cool. Maybe throw in some time travel to connect it to an Avatar closer to the present... or that might be too trippy.

Rocketfish
Jul 2, 2007

*pshew!*
Thanks!

If it were any other show, I'd argue that the creators are telegraphing that Korra is going to be the last Avatar. Especially with the mercury-induced hallucinations and the way this season ended. It's finally been driven home to the her that there are more than a handful of people who vehemently believe she's either only a means to an end or should stop existing entirely.

Korra undergoing a gigantic existential crisis would be a fascinating concept for the last season, but I don't trust the writers to be able to handle it at all.

The first episode of the fourth season will be Korra moping around, Team Avatar trying and failing to cheer her up, and then some weird deus ex machina snapping her out of it. Then we're on to a mysterious person/group acting mysteriously, a few side characters that are in cahoots with said mysterious person(s), and at the end of it all we find their purpose all along was to use the avatar for something and/or kill her. What a twist!

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
I just want to see Aang and company do more cool things post-Hundred Year War

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

There is a comic series that is set right after the end of the first show, you might want to check that out.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

I just want to see Aang and company do more cool things post-Hundred Year War

Seconding the comic series. They're pretty good in that they tie up some loose ends from the series and show a lot of how the world of LoK came to be.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool
On the other hand, some of the answers they provide are really stupid.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

CeallaSo posted:

On the other hand, some of the answers they provide are really stupid.

Like what?

I think the comics are a great continuation of the show.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

thexerox123 posted:

Like what?

I think the comics are a great continuation of the show.

What happened to Zuko's mom? Oh, she went back to her mysterious home village to meet her old flame, and she gave up her face and the memory of her children to a spirit so that she could start over. I'm all for trying to start anew after being married to a tyrant like Ozai, but there's no way in hell a mother who cares as much about her children as Ursa is shown to would just choose to forget them.

The Promise was alright, and it did a pretty good job of introducing concepts that would become important in Korra, but The Search was lackluster even in comparison to that.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

tribbledirigible posted:

Sounds like the triumphant return of Wang Fire

Alright you primitive firebenders listen up. You see this? This is my boomerang. The water tribe double-bent throwing stick. Future Industries' top of the line. You can find this in the sporting goods department. That's right. This sweet baby was made in Omashu. Retails for about 109.95. It's got a walnut stock, metalbender-bent steel, edge, and aerodynamic holes. That's right. Shop the future. Shop Future Industries. You got that?

i hate meatloaf
May 23, 2010

CeallaSo posted:

What happened to Zuko's mom? Oh, she went back to her mysterious home village to meet her old flame, and she gave up her face and the memory of her children to a spirit so that she could start over. I'm all for trying to start anew after being married to a tyrant like Ozai, but there's no way in hell a mother who cares as much about her children as Ursa is shown to would just choose to forget them.

The Promise was alright, and it did a pretty good job of introducing concepts that would become important in Korra, but The Search was lackluster even in comparison to that.

I disagree on The Search. Gene Yang said in an interview that the comics are supposed to focus on the main five characters, so Ursa's storyline is meant to reflect Zuko's current arc. The events of the last year, especially those of The Promise, have put a ton of strain on Zuko. In The Search he gets a chance to leave responsibility and the throne behind, and he seriously considers it. Ursa did what he wants to do - run away and start anew, but by the end of the story what she left behind crashes back into her new life. The Search is about Zuko realizing he can't leave the throne because he can never really escape it, and he has responsibility to those he cares about.

On Ursa's character, she escapes an abusive relationship with a monster and had no hope of ever seeing her kids again. I can see someone in that position wanting to get rid of the pain. It was a bad decision in a moment of weakness, but it's understandable. The difficulty of making that choice would have come across better in animation though.

The comics have their flaws, but as with everything else the internet greatly exaggerates them. Most of the complaints I've seen online are from people mad that the comics invalidate their fanfics. They're at least worth picking up for the artwork - the coloring in The Search is superb.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

i hate meatloaf posted:

On Ursa's character, she escapes an abusive relationship with a monster and had no hope of ever seeing her kids again. I can see someone in that position wanting to get rid of the pain. It was a bad decision in a moment of weakness, but it's understandable.

Yeah, this was basically my take on it, too.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

thexerox123 posted:

I dislike the Ursa never loved Ozai thing. Somehow, it takes away from Ozai's character for me if he was always this moustache twirling prick. More compelling to me would be that he attempted to kill the woman he truly loved for the sake of his ambition.

KellHound
Jul 23, 2007

I commend my soul to any god that can find it.

thexerox123 posted:

I'm on the side of liking that choice too. A lot of the time the Avatar world makes more just that, a mom. Like what is the characterization of Korra's mom? Toph's mom doesn't even really say anything. Katara and Sokka's dead mom is dead cause she saved her child which is the most motherly decision that could be made, and that's all we know about her. Pema has mostly been mom of airbenders, especially since the new baby was born. And even Katara is now mostly just Tenzin's mom cause otherwise SHE WOULD HAVE BEEN INVOVLED IN HER TRIBES CIVAL WAR.

The Search is the first time in Avatar world where we get a story where a mother is making a character decision rather than a mom decision.

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011
That's part of why I enjoyed Suyin Beifong so much -- she's a mom (of what? Four children?) who is shown to have a lot more going on with her life than motherhood. That's a rarity in this franchise.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

TheBalor posted:

I dislike the Ursa never loved Ozai thing. Somehow, it takes away from Ozai's character for me if he was always this moustache twirling prick. More compelling to me would be that he attempted to kill the woman he truly loved for the sake of his ambition.

To be fair though, in ancient China it was quite common for beautiful young peasant girls to be conscripted as concubines or wives for the Emperor. They didn't have much say in the matter, and it was of course a pretty unhappy circumstance to find themselves in. Ursa's story is actually a little bit reminiscent of the story of Wang Zhaojun, one of the "Four Great Beauties" of China.

Je suis fatigue
May 5, 2009

Amazing! It's a double J.O.!

Wildeyes posted:

That's part of why I enjoyed Suyin Beifong so much -- she's a mom (of what? Four children?) who is shown to have a lot more going on with her life than motherhood. That's a rarity in this franchise.

That's a part of what I really liked about season 3, it had a bigger focus on the female characters. Asami in the Korra plot instead of Bolin or Mako, Korra and Lin, the Beifong family drama, Jinora growing up. I don't really remember what Mako even did in season 3 except be a fire bender that shot fire at bad guys (not that I'm complaining).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mako gave his scarf to his grandmother. :colbert:

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Mako was mostly a foil to Bolin.

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011
I think they showcased Mako as a competent detective just fine. He didn't really have a story arc (unless you count learning to occasionally interact with Korra in a non-awkward manner), but in a 13-episode season with throngs of characters, not everyone can have a story arc.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Wildeyes posted:

I think they showcased Mako as a competent detective just fine. He didn't really have a story arc (unless you count learning to occasionally interact with Korra in a non-awkward manner), but in a 13-episode season with throngs of characters, not everyone can have a story arc.

Even Toph didn't get to have a Zuko-field trip. I kind of wonder if there was one planned and they just had to cut it, figuring Toph's personality would just carry it.

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!

tribbledirigible posted:

Even Toph didn't get to have a Zuko-field trip. I kind of wonder if there was one planned and they just had to cut it, figuring Toph's personality would just carry it.

Didn't Toph also miss out on picking a vacation that eventually led them to the Spirit Library? She's always missing out!

i hate meatloaf
May 23, 2010

Je suis fatigue posted:

That's a part of what I really liked about season 3, it had a bigger focus on the female characters. Asami in the Korra plot instead of Bolin or Mako, Korra and Lin, the Beifong family drama, Jinora growing up. I don't really remember what Mako even did in season 3 except be a fire bender that shot fire at bad guys (not that I'm complaining).

That was a huge improvement. Korra should have met Asami on her own at the start of the series instead of her being introduced as Mako's girlfriend. Aang's group consisted of his friends: he was found by Katara and Sokka, he insisted on Toph as a teacher, and he decided to let Zuko in. It's Team Avatar not Team Mako. :colbert:

In this book, Mako was handled wonderfully. Outside of the love triangle, his major problem in the first two was how much they tried to force him as a cool character. This time they just let him work naturally. He had his place to shine without overtaking plots, no one was written badly just to make him look better, and he and Bolin felt like brothers again. While pretty minor, his interactions with Kai helped flesh out his own backstory.

It's amazing just how much better Lin's flaws were presented this book as well. In book 2 she had the same problem of being stubborn and rigid, but it was absolutely frustrating to watch. This season however, her storyline was topnotch.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

CeallaSo posted:

Counterpoint: Azula was written amazingly in The Search

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

i hate meatloaf posted:

In this book, Mako was handled wonderfully. Outside of the love triangle, his major problem in the first two was how much they tried to force him as a cool character. This time they just let him work naturally. He had his place to shine without overtaking plots, no one was written badly just to make him look better, and he and Bolin felt like brothers again. While pretty minor, his interactions with Kai helped flesh out his own backstory.

They also finally let him be uncool. Aggressively so. Not only was his extreme awkwardness around Korra and Asami hilarious and gratifying to watch, it also made him a lot more sympathetic. I also loved seeing his extreme rigidity played against Bolin's fast-and-loose, anything goes style of dealing with life. Him trying to pull the cop card to commandeer the airship was the highlight of his character for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013
So I’m betting that the next season will start with Korra having recovered, but then dropped off the face off the Earth with nobody having a clue where she is.

Long odds? She’s gone incognito and shacked up with some dude in a remote fishing village in what used to be the Earth Kingdom and finally found a measure of peace, until that peace is shattered in the second episode by a Warlord (Kuvira?) filling the power vacuum post Earth Queen, followed by 11 strait episodes of no holds barred :black101:

• Locked thread