Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Neat, it's gonna be a new game of "spot the fetish!"

not yet convinced that one drawing of a stressed-out person with their shoes kicked off constitutes "fetish comic" territory.

not yet NOT convinced but that's just the dark side of this entire thread planting doubt and revulsion in my soul.

Julet Esqu posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man

My loving hero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

GorfZaplen posted:

Mandrake the Magician

At least Penn & Teller are going to be thrilled about the cities at the bottom of the sea.

R Ubbish
Apr 15, 2013

Nikaer Drekin posted:

Intelligent Life

R Ubbish fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Sep 5, 2014

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

I'm very angry that you made me laugh at Intelligent Life.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

LvK posted:

not yet convinced that one drawing of a stressed-out person with their shoes kicked off constitutes "fetish comic" territory.

not yet NOT convinced but that's just the dark side of this entire thread planting doubt and revulsion in my soul.

Oh, just give it time. Those were some fiiiiinely detailed wimmens in those first few strips, and she does have some shapely calves. Over/under on overtly fetishy strip? I'm gonna say 3 strips.

I dunno if there's anything wrong about it, per se, I just enjoy pointing it out.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon
Classic Funky

Funky won't even look at us on this one.

TofuDiva fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Sep 4, 2014

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I actually kind of adore the idea that the ruler of future Earth's timeways dragged Mandrake through all this nonsense just because she wants to learn how to saw a lady in half. It's so folksy!

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Julet Esqu posted:

Sally Forth

We had lockers in middle school and high school. I used the same Master combination lock the entire six years. I've since lost it but the combination was R16-L22-R4.

That was 33 years ago and it's still burned into my brain.

:corsair:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Mister Kingdom posted:

We had lockers in middle school and high school. I used the same Master combination lock the entire six years. I've since lost it but the combination was R16-L22-R4.

9-11-47.

...ugh.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Mister Kingdom posted:

Shugojin posted:

9-11-47.

...ugh.

Whoa, whoa, WHOA, sure you guys want to share that sensitive information?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
We had key locks. They were pretty easy to jimmy open though, and the doors were thin enough metal that half of them had been bent in half by bored people, or buckled by people taking out their frustration. They weren't really useful for anything other than storing things nobody would want, like dirty PE wear and textbooks.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Well played indeed. :golfclap:

Intelligent Life or The Man Who Knows Many Pop Cultures Also the Video Computer Games

Wow, that looks like a lumpy old turd. And so does the thing on the trophy!

Francis

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Oh dammit I laughed at Intelligent Life :saddowns:

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Cul-de-sac does something neat with the art today.

Seeing things like the way Alice's speech balloon can be seen through the dad's head because of the loud shirt thing just makes me so depressed for Thompson. :smith:

This strip seriously belongs right up there with Calvin and Hobbes and The Far Side.

Pancho Jueves
Aug 20, 2007

BEST FRIENDS!!

Greg Evans, professional cartoonist, cannot draw action of any kind.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

Seeing things like the way Alice's speech balloon can be seen through the dad's head because of the loud shirt thing just makes me so depressed for Thompson. :smith:

This strip seriously belongs right up there with Calvin and Hobbes and The Far Side.

I thought the reason you could see the speech balloon line was due to the fact the shirt was so loud, it was like he was transparent aside from the Hawaiian shirt. drat :smith:

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Good Listener posted:

I thought the reason you could see the speech balloon line was due to the fact the shirt was so loud, it was like he was transparent aside from the Hawaiian shirt. drat :smith:

Yeah, that was it. All of Thompson's subtle things like that just show an amazing love for his craft.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

Pancho Jueves posted:

Greg Evans, professional cartoonist, cannot draw action of any kind.

The most action this strip has ever seen is a bookshelf falling over. And I don't even remember if it fell in frame or not.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

Yeah, that was it. All of Thompson's subtle things like that just show an amazing love for his craft.

Ok that's what I thought. I read the post wrong initially there, my bad :nyoron:

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Pogo, in which Albert puts a pig in a blanket.

But enough of this superfluous nonsense, we've still got to deal with some slightly more perfluous nonsense.

(September 5-6, 1956)

Peanuts: Year One (April 19-21, 1951)

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Julet Esqu posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man

And next week JJJ yells at Peter for not getting pictures of Spider-Man breaking criminals out of prison.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Juliet Jones

Phantom Classic

Radio Patrol

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

OK that was clever as hell.

F Minus

Mary Worth

So at first she was psychic or something, and now it's just gut feelings like everyone has. What happened to the hallucinations?

Rex Morgan MD

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Sorry, that last panel... I.. I just had to post this.

:smug:

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Bloom County

Max Headroom, Randee of the Redwoods, Gumby, and Spuds Mackenzie were all mass media icons. I can't seem to find any information on this 'Zippy'.

Calvin And Hobbes

Ripley's

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Pfft, locomotion is so yesterday's news. You should see what they do with Street Fighter these days!

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
Gene Siskel's far enough in the past that he may need an introduction, too. I think it's been fifteen years since he died.

Bleeker just loathes everything, human, robot, or dog.

Pickles is rapidly becoming a record of the world's longest failed marriage.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Julet Esqu posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man

SPIDER-MENACE FREES PRISONERS

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Quick! Someone get this information back to the 19th century inhabitants of Chicago who didn't have access to modern weather data so that they don't end up with an erroneous nickname!

New York isn't even an apple, let alone a large one

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Fingerpori

- Hi, Heimo! I'm hiking in the forest...
- A crane is rising up from the swamp right now
- If you can't get it out, go see a doctor

Nousta means "to move/rise up" in some manner; it just refers to upwards movement of any kind. "A crane is flying up" could've worked here. Suo means "a swamp" and suolta is its ablative form, "from the swamp". Suoli, however, means "an intestine" and its partitive (object) form also happens to be suolta. So yeah, "a crane is moving up my intestine right now".

For a moment I thought maybe kurki could mean something other than crane, but nope.

Fok_It

Somehow this strip makes perfect sense.

Oh, except maybe the promise part. I don't think people talk about promises in English when they're referring to weather forecasts, but the "promises will be broken" thing wouldn't have worked otherwise.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Darthemed posted:

I can't seem to find any information on this 'Zippy'.
You're not even trying. He's that little fat dude with no pants, genius.

Haha oh man I was JUST telling a friend about that bottom thing last night. If I weren't too lazy to find the manual, I'd pull up old-timey diagrams of that exact scenario.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?
Jane's World

I'm really surprised Jill hasn't gotten herself out of this considering the fact that these people are complete morons.

Non Sequitur

Not good, Wiley.

Heavenly Nostrils

Kliban

Uh.. right.

9 Chickweed Lane 9/5/2003

Christ.

Zits

Kevin & Kell

Oh jeeze, Holbrook...

Well, that was a little odd, but, Ok.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Well, that was a little odd, but, Ok.

I think Cyan's telling us she's just had a stroke... look at her eye!!

Cul-de-sac hydrologic cycle! (bet dad's still wearing that shirt, we can't even see him today!)

The Creeps I feel like this story would work better as a 5 a week thing...

Poptropica puns are the lowest form of entertainment.

Heathcliff

Well ok then.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Ghostlight posted:

Quick! Someone get this information back to the 19th century inhabitants of Chicago who didn't have access to modern weather data so that they don't end up with an erroneous nickname!

Chicago was originally nicknamed the Windy City because of all the bragging loudmouths there (people who talk a lot are said to make hot air [which creates wind when it touches cold air, more or less. (I could explain it to you but it'd be a much longer post)]). I consider the nickname completely appropriate given the proud, boisterous people who make Chicago their home even today. :spergin:

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (June 16, 1927)

Peanuts (September 8, 1967)

Funky Winkerbean

Was Congorilla really awesome enough to make an issue a holy grail?

Popeye

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (August 10-11, 1925)

"Fun" Fact: James J. Jeffries got knocked out in 1910. It was the only one of his career, and since it was at the hands of Jack Johnson (first black World Heavyweight Champion, and thus the most hated man in American sports at the time), everything surrounding it was nasty. That was the match where Jack London tagged Jeffries "the great white hope", but Jeffries hadn't been in the ring since '04, so he was done before the bell rang. Angry random reprisals ensued across the country.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

Was Congorilla really awesome enough to make an issue a holy grail?

He was a dude with a magic talisman that could transfer his mind into the body of a giant gold-furred gorilla, so you tell me.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Senior Woodchuck posted:

He was a dude with a magic talisman that could transfer his mind into the body of a giant gold-furred gorilla, so you tell me.

He was also in the JLA for like ten minutes.

Meanwhile, Ham Shears makes a Bob Dylan reference.

The Dinette Set knows the value of a good education.

Working Daze overall is about 1/3 Big Bang Theory humor.

(Based on my trawl of the last year and change, the other two thirds are "work sucks" and "people getting turned into things" so I guess it's a bit of a fetish comic after all.)

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I was gonna ask if anyone knows what the hell is going on in Jane's World, but at this point I'm pretty sure even the author has no idea.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Who is setting these traps for the rodent people? Is this what hate crimes look like in their world? Do the police regularly stumble across the mangled, splattered corpses of rodents who fell for these malicious instruments of death?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

DoubleDonut posted:

I was gonna ask if anyone knows what the hell is going on in Jane's World, but at this point I'm pretty sure even the author has no idea.

Jane's World really needs a huge wiki to explain everything. Then again, it's not like anyone would bother.

• Locked thread