Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

branar
Jun 28, 2008

Cainer posted:

Dang, friend who wanted to DM has changed his mind, so DM time for me then. Speed reading through the Hoard of the dragon queen, looks like a really fun adventure but why the hell are the monsters and magic items and poo poo not in the book? Why do I have to grab them online? Seems really dumb since they even mention it in the book that they aren't there and to go online so it can't really be an oversight.

It's even more irritating than that: some of the monsters are in the book and others are in the .pdf, and at least as far as I could tell there's really no way to determine which is where. Fortunately there's not a ton of enemy variety, at least in the first adventure.

That said, the first adventure of HotDQ went over really well at our table. For all that I think 5E has a nigh-hilarious number of rules shortcomings, I genuinely think it's a pretty excellent adventure module and a great 'first full adventure path' for 5E, especially relative to what previous editions have started with. (I was not Keep on the Shadowfell's biggest fan, although the faces my players were making around the table when we did the infamous Irontooth encounter will remain etched in my memory forever.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cainer
May 8, 2008

branar posted:

It's even more irritating than that: some of the monsters are in the book and others are in the .pdf, and at least as far as I could tell there's really no way to determine which is where. Fortunately there's not a ton of enemy variety, at least in the first adventure.

That said, the first adventure of HotDQ went over really well at our table. For all that I think 5E has a nigh-hilarious number of rules shortcomings, I genuinely think it's a pretty excellent adventure module and a great 'first full adventure path' for 5E, especially relative to what previous editions have started with. (I was not Keep on the Shadowfell's biggest fan, although the faces my players were making around the table when we did the infamous Irontooth encounter will remain etched in my memory forever.)

I'm glad it went over well, this will be one of the first time we've used a module. I can't actually remember the last time we used one. Usually we just come up with our own stuff and see where it takes us. That online index thing is just messed up, its not that bad since I can just print out of the sheets but drat, annoying.

Imazul
Sep 3, 2006

This was actually a lot more bearable than most of you made it out to be.

branar posted:

It's because all the monsters in the supplement are supposed to be in the Monster Manual and that is not out yet. Those that are unique to the adventure are at the end of the book in the appendix. Yeah it kinda sucks that they just didn't put all of them either in the book or in the appendix.

branar
Jun 28, 2008
Ahh, duh. That makes sense.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Running starter set this weekend. Report will follow.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Power Player posted:

I lost the DCI registration card they gave me though :smith: Maybe it's at the store or maybe they can just give me the number they gave me and I can send a letter to Wizards or whatever.
You shouldn't need your DCI card for anything. The number is all that matters. It's linked to your name when you get it, assuming they do it like magic, so I'd just ask the store what your number is.

Power Player
Oct 2, 2006

GOD SPEED YOU! HUNGRY MEXICAN

Babylon Astronaut posted:

You shouldn't need your DCI card for anything. The number is all that matters. It's linked to your name when you get it, assuming they do it like magic, so I'd just ask the store what your number is.
Cool, thanks! I thought I also had to register it with the code that's revealed when you scratch off the thing at the bottom.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
How easy is it to get a module up and running vs. a homebrew campaign? I suppose the latter can take as long as you'd like.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Power Player posted:

Cool, thanks! I thought I also had to register it with the code that's revealed when you scratch off the thing at the bottom.
OK that makes sense. Magic has the store do it because they report results to DCI the day of.

Power Player
Oct 2, 2006

GOD SPEED YOU! HUNGRY MEXICAN

OK that makes sense. Magic has the store do it because they report results to DCI the day of.
Apparently that code is just to update your information but otherwise I don't need it.

Strength of Many
Jan 13, 2012

The butthurt is the life... and it shall be mine.
So if one were to play a Drow Ranger dual wielding a hand crossbow and (weapon) is a better option than, say, two scimitars?

seebs
Apr 23, 2007
God Made Me a Skeptic

Jack the Lad posted:

I can't believe this particular bit of sophistry has gone on so long.

Yes, BMX Bandit feels more different from Angel Summoner than Beowulf does.

But that's a bad thing.

Really? This is fascinating, because the development of a genuine, universal, objective standard for what makes games fun for everyone is a major breakthrough!

See, I thought 4e's design was pretty fun and I liked it, but I had always assumed that the people who didn't like it just had different "preferences" than mine (I'm not sure if the concept of "preference" still exists in this brave new world), but apparently I am now informed that they were *objectively* wrong as to whether or not they liked one thing more or less than another.

And, heck, at least some people I know observed that they enjoyed 4e as its own game, they just didn't think it felt-like-D&D anymore, because they felt the diverse resource management styles were part of the "feel" of the game.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

seebs posted:

...diverse resource management styles were part of the "feel" of the game.

What diverse resource management styles are you talking about?

seebs
Apr 23, 2007
God Made Me a Skeptic

AlphaDog posted:

What diverse resource management styles are you talking about?

The huge gap in how you play between martials and casters, mostly. That thing where you don't all have the same mechanic governing your resource usage, so some people run out of their stuff, and others don't.

Some people really like that, playing a 1e/2e fighter, all they had to worry about was keeping their gear up to par and then charge in and roll dice hoping for big numbers. Or really like that a wizard can be completely out of spells. And some people really prefer the thing where absolutely everyone ends up with a mix of at-will and encounter powers which they can use forever as long as they have hit points left and get to end one encounter before starting another.

A 4e wizard who is "out of powers" still has a bunch of powers for every new combat. A wizard in PF or 5e who is "out of spells" can cast cantrips, and that's it. In any other edition, a wizard who is out of spells is a weak guy who can hit stuff but not very well.

And some people prefer that. And I'm conflicted on it, because I like both approaches, but I like them in different ways.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Didn't they release a fighter that only did basic attacks? I mean, I can't help the people who hate wizard encounter powers and wish they could blow their load in one combat and be useless in the next, but I'm pretty sure there was at least one fighter who just attacked over and over again, so those guys should be pretty happy.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

seebs posted:

The huge gap in how you play between martials and casters, mostly. That thing where you don't all have the same mechanic governing your resource usage, so some people run out of their stuff, and others don't.

Some people really like that, playing a 1e/2e fighter, all they had to worry about was keeping their gear up to par and then charge in and roll dice hoping for big numbers. Or really like that a wizard can be completely out of spells. And some people really prefer the thing where absolutely everyone ends up with a mix of at-will and encounter powers which they can use forever as long as they have hit points left and get to end one encounter before starting another.

A 4e wizard who is "out of powers" still has a bunch of powers for every new combat. A wizard in PF or 5e who is "out of spells" can cast cantrips, and that's it. In any other edition, a wizard who is out of spells is a weak guy who can hit stuff but not very well.

And some people prefer that. And I'm conflicted on it, because I like both approaches, but I like them in different ways.

5e cantrips are similar in damage output to 4e At-Wills. The naming convention has changed, but they're a far cry from the 1d3 damage popguns of 3.x

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
There aren't any divergent resource management styles pre-4e you loving idiot. There's "HAS RESOURCES" and "DOESN'T HAVE RESOURCES."

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

I might be joining a 5e campaign and I'v been told to bring a martial character (party is currently a wizard, a priest, a druid and a monk.) The group is pretty new to the system and (for some of them, RPGs in general) so I'm not too worried about being a spectator to a bunch of casters taking care of everything.

My question is mechanically, how do the non-caster martial classes compare to the caster martial classes in terms of being interesting to play? Do fighters and barbarians still get the shaft compared to any class that can cast spells? I'd be curious to hear people's experiences with how the classes play and their impressions of general effectiveness at killing mans. The valor bard seems like it might be more powerful overall, but for flavor reasons I'd like to play a more traditionally martial class, so Fighter, Barb or Pally.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?

Nihilarian posted:

Didn't they release a fighter that only did basic attacks? I mean, I can't help the people who hate wizard encounter powers and wish they could blow their load in one combat and be useless in the next, but I'm pretty sure there was at least one fighter who just attacked over and over again, so those guys should be pretty happy.

There were two actually, the slayer subclass a striker who's class features were power attack, and more power attack, and the Knight subclass who was strong defender like original 4th edition fighter but used passive auras instead of active skills. Incidentally original 4th ed fighters got renamed in essentials to the weaponmaster subclass which I'm OK with because weaponmaster is a pretty bichen name.

Both of them however have far more interesting things to be doing in combat then a 3.5 edition fighter just due to the nature of combat in 4th edition, and are decent classes in their own right as long as they have access to feats from outside of essentials. The knight especially has a few fans on this board because it lets people focus more on tactical positioning and less on trying to get the optimum use out of their dailies.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

ProfessorCirno posted:

There aren't any divergent resource management styles pre-4e you loving idiot. There's "HAS RESOURCES" and "DOESN'T HAVE RESOURCES."
Point casters, tob classes, artifacers. If you mean "has thing, spends it" then just tob classes and the fact that psions have the focus mechanic.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

seebs posted:

Some people get resources, some don't. Therefore there are diverse resource management styless.

You're wrong though, because everyone having the same resources is like the rules of poetry, which produces the correct feelings.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Cainer posted:

I'm glad it went over well, this will be one of the first time we've used a module. I can't actually remember the last time we used one. Usually we just come up with our own stuff and see where it takes us. That online index thing is just messed up, its not that bad since I can just print out of the sheets but drat, annoying.

I find it better then being in the book. It would have added a bunch more pages to the book of which they actually have only a certain amount of pages they can use. You also don't have to flip through the book to look up monster stats. It's much more convenient to have them out of the book. Plus because they are not in the book you don't have to buy the adventure in order to get the stats.

Get the stats here if you have not gotten them yet http://dnd.wizards.com/products/tabletop-games/rpg-products/hoard-dragon-queen

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Sep 5, 2014

Cainer
May 8, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

I find it better then being in the book. It would have added a bunch more pages to the book of which they actually have only a certain amount of pages they can use. Plus you also don't have to flip through the book to look up monster stats. It's much more convenient to have them out of the book. Plus because they are not in the book you don't have to buy the adventure in order to get the stats.

Get the stats here if you have not gotten them yet http://dnd.wizards.com/products/tabletop-games/rpg-products/hoard-dragon-queen

Already grabbed em and printed them out, thanks anyway though. I just find it annoying cause I bought the book well my friend did anyway, I just grabbed his copy and I kinda figured it would have everything in it without having to dig online.

Cainer fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Sep 5, 2014

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Well by that argument why are there three hardcovers to play the game?

Not having all the monsters in the module is completely inexcusable imo. Oh no three extra pages THIS WILL NOT STAND.

Took us forever to find what a winged kobold was, mechanically.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

MonsterEnvy posted:

I find it better then being in the book.

Why do you find it better?

MonsterEnvy posted:

It would have added a bunch more pages to the book of which they actually have only a certain amount of pages they can use.

Weren't you also super happy and full of praise when they added more pages to a book?

MonsterEnvy posted:

Plus you also don't have to flip through the book to look up monster stats. It's much more convenient to have them out of the book.

How is it more convenient?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Cassa posted:

Well by that argument why are there three hardcovers to play the game?

Not having all the monsters in the module is completely inexcusable imo. Oh no three extra pages THIS WILL NOT STAND.

Took us forever to find what a winged kobold was, mechanically.

Actually it's 30 pages.

AlphaDog posted:

Weren't you also super happy and full of praise when they added more pages to a book?

I was not super happy and full of praise. I liked it but I did not comment on it.

As for the rest of you comments. They were answered in the post you quoted.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

AlphaDog posted:

Hides the numbers in a dark place where they won't frighten him.

Grimpond
Dec 24, 2013

monsterenvy and seebs are an insightful duo, with posts that are a delight to read

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

MonsterEnvy posted:

I was not super happy and full of praise. I liked it but I did not comment on it.

MonsterEnvy posted:

https://www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4ll/20140714

Some news about the Monster Manuel. They wanted to cram as any monsters with as much info and art to do them all justice. However they found finding themselves needing to cut stuff to fit in the book. Their solution make the book bigger.

32 more pages have been added to the book and it's staying the same price.

You sure did comment on it, but I guess I must have misread your tone.

MonsterEnvy posted:

As for the rest of you comments. They were answered in the post you quoted.

What you included in your post:

MonsterEnvy posted:

I find it better then being in the book.

MonsterEnvy posted:

It's much more convenient to have them out of the book.

e: While I'm here,

MonsterEnvy posted:

Actually it's 30 pages.

How many pages is it if you do it a sane way like they were already doing back in the 90s?

AlphaDog posted:

Those were awesome. They didn't really take up much space. A full adventure would probably have 1-2 pages of those total, were you to put them all together with spacing and stuff.

e: If you wanted to do this for Next, you could.

Warriors(4)(Orc/CE): S+3,D+1,C+3,I-2 AC13 SP30 HP15 XP100
Greataxe +5,5',9s(1d12+3) Javelin +5,5'(30/120),6p(1d6+3)
Bonus Mv 30' to opponent Abil Darkvision 60' Intimidate +2

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Sep 5, 2014

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Get to flip through the pages every time I need a crucial bit of information. Mm. That new book smell. Smells like.. convenience.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Some news about the Monster Manuel.
New NPC spotted.

Babylon Astronaut fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Sep 5, 2014

Harthacnut
Jul 29, 2014

New NPC spotted.

Super secret leaked image :ssh:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

AlphaDog posted:

e: While I'm here,

How many pages is it if you do it a sane way like they were already doing back in the 90s?

You just picked one sentence and ignored everything else in the post. Here is my post

"I find it better then being in the book. It would have added a bunch more pages to the book of which they actually have only a certain amount of pages they can use. You also don't have to flip through the book to look up monster stats. It's much more convenient to have them out of the book. Plus because they are not in the book you don't have to buy the adventure in order to get the stats. "

It's better because of everything I wrote after I mentioned it being better. It's convenient because it's not part of the book so you don't have flip through it to look up the stats as I wrote right before I said that.

On the 90s statblocks. That looks lame, boring and hard to read.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

You wouldn't have to 'flip through the book to look up monster stats' because they are right there.

quote:

Numbers, away with ye! trouble me no more.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Sep 5, 2014

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
They solved that problem in Holmes Basic. You put the brief monster stats in the paragraph with the encounter, then you put full statblocks in the middle so you can take out the staple and remove them. Usually you had a map on the outside pages and monsters on the inside. It worked for the B series back in the 70's.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Lord of Bore posted:

Super secret leaked image :ssh:

What about Dungeon Master's Guido?

...actually forget I asked.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

MonsterEnvy posted:

It's better because of everything I wrote after I mentioned it being better. It's convenient because it's not part of the book so you don't have flip through it to look up the stats as I wrote right before I said that.

Is your contention really that it's more convenient for someone to buy a book and then download a PDF and then have to use a laptop (or printout) as well as the book they bought? And that's why it's better this way? Really?

MonsterEnvy posted:

They're literally included for convenience, so you don't have to flip back and forward or look in another book in order to run the combat. They're not the only stats you ever see for that monster.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Sep 5, 2014

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Really Pants posted:

What about Dungeon Master's Guido?

...actually forget I asked.

He got the player's hand, bitch.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

AlphaDog posted:

Is your contention really that it's more convenient for someone to buy a book and then download a PDF and then have to use a laptop (or printout) as well as the book they bought? Really?

Yes, You don't even need the book, you can just grab the PDF. And it's better when actually playing the game.

Anyway this is a matter of opinion. So I am just going to drop this right here.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Sep 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yes, You don't even need the book, you can just grab the PDF.

I don't need the book to run the adventure?

MonsterEnvy posted:

And it's better when actually playing the game.

How?

e: Oh, an edit.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Anyway this is a matter of opinion. So I am just going to drop this right here.

"I made a statement that I can't or won't back up in any way. Therefore, it's just a matter of opinion. I'm just going to drop it".

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Sep 5, 2014