Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

Silver Striker posted:

your premise fails in that guild wars 2 is not actually decent and living story is really bad

idk i play it for a bit every few months and i enjoy that v :) v

i only do pvp/wvw tho so no idea about pve stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Das Butterbrot posted:

idk i play it for a bit every few months and i enjoy that v :) v

i only do pvp/wvw tho so no idea about pve stuff

oh i'm mainly talking about pve which is pretty bad/non-existent. i never got into guild wars pvp but from what i did play it was fairly cool.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

the pvp suffers badly from the huge amoutn of visual unreadability of everything (400 fields barfed onto an area and giant particle effects) and the fact that it's gotten a tiny drip of attention since the thing first released

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

i kept scrolling and it kept going

lol

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

i kept scrolling and it kept going

lol

the kicker is thats only to attune for 20man raids, you still have more to do for the true 40 man endgame :)

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Silver Striker posted:

the kicker is thats only to attune for 20man raids, you still have more to do for the true 40 man endgame :)

Is... isn't this what being a True Hardcore Gamer is all about? :ohdear:

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
True doom murderheads don't play mmos.

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
i only suck dick in self defense
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~
if i was in prison and wildstar was my only form of entertainment i might actually do any of that ever

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Buck Turgidson posted:

no it wasn't, it was literally grinding and then navigating a menu. the only game that's done crafting well is bg2, because it's basically a side-quest. during the course of your adventures you find a bits and pieces of legendary artifacts, you take it to some fat dwarf because you're an adventurer who (rightly) knows gently caress-all about making stuff, and you get a sweet bow that shoots lightning bolts

durr you're talking about mmos let me give you non mmo examples

I was clearly talking in terms of mmos and I said it was kinda interesting, not that it was terribly engaging

e: also your example wasn't even crafting, it was a quest chain that has a guy say he made the reward instead of just handing it to you

Mr.Unique-Name fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Sep 4, 2014

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

matrix ripoff posted:

if i was in prison and wildstar was my only form of entertainment i might actually do any of that ever

I'd rather train cockroaches

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Ekster posted:

space rangers 2 is a pretty fun game

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Ekster posted:

that'd be a pretty bad rear end hobby

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Silver Striker posted:

your premise fails in that guild wars 2 is not actually decent and living story is really bad

The whole living story thing died when that plant guy appeared and it became his story.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
plants are living things idiot

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!
take it to the mmo homo fags

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

durr you're talking about mmos let me give you non mmo examples

I was clearly talking in terms of mmos and I said it was kinda interesting, not that it was terribly engaging

e: also your example wasn't even crafting, it was a quest chain that has a guy say he made the reward instead of just handing it to you

Why would I give you an example of good crafting in an MMO when not a single one exists? Why should I restrict myself to examples from MMOs if they all get it wrong anyway? If you thought clicking through menus to make things over and over was even remotely interesting then I guess there's not much I can say other than that I disagree (and lol, of course).

BG 2's "crafting" is one of the few implementations that actually makes sense and isn't insanely tedious. A wizard with important wizbiz to take care of isn't going to spend 1000 hours making wooden bows so that he can one day make the legendary Überbow, and I don't know why devs insist on putting that junk in their games. Maybe the reason that it it's good in bg2 has something to do with the fact that, as you point out, it's scarcely crafting at all, because that poo poo's got no place in games that aren't Baking Simulator 2014.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

You're not a high enough level to eat that cheese bitch

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Pomp posted:

It's definitely still an old, lovely game, but it was good enough for its time that it continues to draw back in old players and chug along. I hold that FFXI would be legitimately really good game if it wasn't a ancient, lovely MMO.

Same. I never got into it until way too late (ie like two years ago) and I remember thinking, I really really want to like this but it's so god drat dated. If FF14 had just been FF11-2, that is an FF11 with a modern engine, graphics, ui, and netcode, I'd play the hell out of it. But maybe that's just the poopsock grognard in me?

FF14 is kinda neat and, ironically, has the best single player experience of any final fantasy released in the last 10 years. But it's still just a monthly sub MMO once you get to level cap. It also had a cool idea for crafting that, with a bit of refinement, could've been hands down the best crafting in any game.

Minera fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Sep 5, 2014

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Buck Turgidson posted:

Why would I give you an example of good crafting in an MMO when not a single one exists? Why should I restrict myself to examples from MMOs if they all get it wrong anyway? If you thought clicking through menus to make things over and over was even remotely interesting then I guess there's not much I can say other than that I disagree (and lol, of course).

BG 2's "crafting" is one of the few implementations that actually makes sense and isn't insanely tedious. A wizard with important wizbiz to take care of isn't going to spend 1000 hours making wooden bows so that he can one day make the legendary Überbow, and I don't know why devs insist on putting that junk in their games. Maybe the reason that it it's good in bg2 has something to do with the fact that, as you point out, it's scarcely crafting at all, because that poo poo's got no place in games that aren't Baking Simulator 2014.

this thread is about an mmo and the post I responded to was taking about crafting in mmos, dipshit, so I was talking about mmos. make a new thread to jerk off about bg2 or whatever

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

this thread is about an mmo and the post I responded to was taking about crafting in mmos, dipshit, so I was talking about mmos. make a new thread to jerk off about bg2 or whatever

huh that's funny i don't remember saying you weren't talking about mmos, so i don't know why you even brought that up. you know you can talk about mmos and compare them to games that aren't mmos right? i was talking about mmos by comparing them to a game that's not an mmo. like, maybe in doing so i was suggesting that crafting in mmos sucks and doesnt really fit with what your character should be doing.

maybe you need another example. let's say i want to talk about how poo poo planetside 2's shooting mechanics are. maybe in doing so i would draw a comparison between the shooting mechanics in that game and games like bf3 or cod etc

come on dude, i know you're probably tired from spending 1000s of hours making virtual muffins but you can do better than this

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
imp zone should find the deadest mmo and start playing it and revitalize it and then abandon it

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Omally posted:

imp zone should find the deadest mmo and start playing it and revitalize it and then abandon it

Warhammer Online is slowly being revived through the magic of freeshards.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Haven and Hearth imo

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Buck Turgidson posted:

huh that's funny i don't remember saying you weren't talking about mmos, so i don't know why you even brought that up. you know you can talk about mmos and compare them to games that aren't mmos right? i was talking about mmos by comparing them to a game that's not an mmo. like, maybe in doing so i was suggesting that crafting in mmos sucks and doesnt really fit with what your character should be doing.

maybe you need another example. let's say i want to talk about how poo poo planetside 2's shooting mechanics are. maybe in doing so i would draw a comparison between the shooting mechanics in that game and games like bf3 or cod etc

come on dude, i know you're probably tired from spending 1000s of hours making virtual muffins but you can do better than this

I don't do crafting in MMOs because it sticks and you're still loving stupid

and your argument is dumb too because it's "crafting is bad because I don't envision my character doing it"

Mr.Unique-Name fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Sep 5, 2014

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
so i've been doing some reading on this game over in the mmo hmo and apparently there was a bug where people would do that big list of attunement bullshit and then have it not count due to a bug. and the developer's response to this was essentially "just make a new character"

loving :laffo: if that poo poo's true

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

and your argument is dumb too because it's crafting is bad because I don't envision my character doing it

well let's be fair now feller, that's only one argument i made. i did also say it was just tedious grinding and menu navigation, which is really my main complaint with it.

you're the one who said it was 'kinda interesting', without elaborating as to why or how. what makes this iteration of grinding and menu navigation 'kinda interesting'?

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Buck Turgidson posted:

well let's be fair now feller, that's only one argument i made. i did also say it was just tedious grinding and menu navigation, which is really my main complaint with it.

you're the one who said it was 'kinda interesting', without elaborating as to why or how. what makes this iteration of grinding and menu navigation 'kinda interesting'?

eq2 and gw2 both have poo poo to do on reaction while crafting

again, I didn't say it was fun or engaging, but it's more than most games have

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

great news, friend

it's true

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

AHungryRobot posted:

loving :laffo: if that poo poo's true
it is completely true. The developers, when they're not being regressive grognards with cargo cultish game design, are just absolutely incompetent at basic things like "database design" and "customer service".

what hasn't been mentioned yet is the UI was and is a complete clusterfuck too, clunky and horrible and even basic game functions were essentially built as UI mods that crash regularly and repeatedly. i feel sorry for the artists, graphic designers, whoever pushed for action combat, and the other handful of people at the company who seemed to have a vague clue who will now be unemployed due to the retards in charge

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
i think the bar for wildstar was 'technically not fraud' in which case mission loving accomplished suckers

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Asimo posted:

it is completely true. The developers, when they're not being regressive grognards with cargo cultish game design, are just absolutely incompetent at basic things like "database design" and "customer service".

what hasn't been mentioned yet is the UI was and is a complete clusterfuck too, clunky and horrible and even basic game functions were essentially built as UI mods that crash regularly and repeatedly. i feel sorry for the artists, graphic designers, whoever pushed for action combat, and the other handful of people at the company who seemed to have a vague clue who will now be unemployed due to the retards in charge

i didnt follow the game before release but apparently they had a different ui and then completely rebuilt it from the ground up right before any of the public betas for some bizarre reason

i mean the ui looks kinda nice and everything, i liked how different classes had little ui differences, but yeah functionality wise it is an absolute mess

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Buck Turgidson posted:

not him and not the game he's talking about but

I enjoyed the crafting in FF14 because it involved playing a small minigame, where you're balancing finishing the item with making it as high quality as possible (getting large amounts of bonus exp/high quality products as a reward) using a limited numbers of turns and resources to do so, and you ended up with like 30+ different abilities to use that all had different synergies and effects, and a small amount of chance that meant you had to think and puzzle solve on the fly for really difficult, high end gear.

They also went the full mile and treated the crafting jobs the same as real jobs; you have class quests, artifact gear to acquire, cutscenes, a storyline, etc all exclusive to each crafting job. The only issue is that it was probably too grindy to really enjoy it, since getting every crafting job maxed is essentially the same as maxing every regular job, but it was still really awesome if you just wanted to level a single crafting class to try it.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

god drat only 2 pages into the Wildstar thread and loving it already

i think my favorite bit so far are people getting 15 higher fps when they use work-arounds to launch the 32 bit client, b/c the game forces the 64 bit client on you to try and stop botting

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
Waaaaaay the gently caress back when I played wow I remember there was a guildie who was always whining about how poo poo sucked and vanilla had the best everything because it was sooooo much harder to get attuned to raids compared to burning crusade. then he would jump ship to the shiny new mmo of the month, get a fraction of the guild to go with him and declare it the second coming of vanilla wow, only to come back after a few months because age of conan/warhammer online/star trek online were actually pretty bad because they had literally no endgame content combined with incompetent devs and wrath of the lich king was coming out and we all were treating that like the second coming of jesus.

it's good to see someone finally made a game specifically for him and it sucked about as much as everyone told him it would suck

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
those guys spent 9 motherfucking years on that game and now it's gonna crash and burn not even 6 months after release. god drat. the duke nukem forever of mmos.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

AHungryRobot posted:

those guys spent 9 motherfucking years on that game and now it's gonna crash and burn not even 6 months after release. god drat. the duke nukem forever of mmos.

Does Wildstar feature slapable boob walls? This is critical.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Extra posted:

Haven and Hearth imo

kept my eye on that game but man the devs just had no idea how to make a good game at all

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Barudak posted:

Does Wildstar feature slapable boob walls? This is critical.
no

it does have furries though. also gerbil people that goons "ironically" jerked off to played while complaining about the furries

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider

Asimo posted:

no

it does have furries though. also gerbil people that goons "ironically" jerked off to played while complaining about the furries

I think you misunderstood when those people were saying "gently caress furries"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Omally posted:

Youre already posting in that game's thread

• Locked thread