Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Gensuki posted:

Is Invoke the firemind a good card? I can only think of bad things to say about it, and I want to say this would have been a much better "Izzet spell with X in its cost."

This is a good card.

Invoke the Firemind was great, but mostly because it was an X spell at 3 CMC (and therefore transmutable with drift) that existed in a format with tron and heartbeat combo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

May the Schwartz be with you

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
"Tron" is the Urza land cycle?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Rinkles posted:

"Tron" is the Urza land cycle?

Yep.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
The only possessive card type?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Rinkles posted:

http://magiccards.info/query?q=t%3A%22urza%27s%22&v=card&s=cname

I assume he labeled them that way because Mishra kept playing with his toys.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
anyone think Gifts Ungiven might spike now that gifts control has a manabase that doesn't suck?

at 5 each its not the most strenuous activity to get a playset

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Some Numbers posted:

Obviously dealing damage is better than gaining life, but still.

This actually is less true than you might think, at least in the context of counterspells.

Everyone that I read (including me) pretty much thought Undermine was better than Absorb when Invasion was released, but it turns out that that wasn't the case unless you were specifically blue-black and not white.

Maybe U/R/x? counterburn style will play differently enough that actually going to the head will be better. I don't think anyone can say yet.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Rinkles posted:

There's two, and they're both on that card.

One exercise that's actually pretty difficult is listing all of the land types from memory. There's 8 non-basic land types. I didn't expect there to be that many.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Dr. Stab posted:

One exercise that's actually pretty difficult is listing all of the land types from memory. There's 8 non-basic land types. I didn't expect there to be that many.

urza's, mine, tower, power-plant, locus, gate, lair... I can't think of the eighth

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Desert.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Attorney at Funk posted:

urza's, mine, tower, power-plant, locus, gate, lair... I can't think of the eighth

Desert. Because of Camel.

e: artifact and enchantment types can be kinda tricky for some. Not as tricky as the list of all types and supertypes, though.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
Haha, that's absurd.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Dr. Stab posted:

They should print another cycle of Lairs for the Planar Chaos Dragons.

They need homes too.

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010
Desert?

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Dr. Stab posted:

Desert. Because of Camel.

e: artifact and enchantment types can be kinda tricky for some. Not as tricky as the list of all types and supertypes, though.

Also Desert Nomads.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Desert.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
Mindswipe is a cool card and I want it to be good but I'm skeptical. It does nothing until you have 3 mana, where it's extremely weak. It only has an appreciable effect if you have a lot of mana available, which presents a significant opportunity cost, and if they're able to pay for X it's pretty much just a lava axe that you can only cast in response to their spells. The thing about Syncopate is that you only needed two more mana than they had left in order to use it, whereas here you need three more. At any rate, I'm really digging this cycle of 2-color rares for each clan that lack the "primary" color, they're all just super cool flavor and effect-wise.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
"All creatures attacking in a band with Camel are immune to damage done by Deserts" will never not crack me up.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
Looks like mindswipe will give URzaton a bit more viability in Modern.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

InterrupterJones posted:

IzzetTron hasn't really been a thing to date. I'm not sure that one card can turn it around.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

InterrupterJones posted:

I'd like to run Izzetron, and counter someone's T5 play.

"Liliana."
"Okay, Mindswipe for 7. Take 7."

That actually sounds pretty blowoutish.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
So, why doesn't Urza Tron just run like 12 Banefires? That seems like a viable plan? Tall walls, then go to the head for 8 every turn?

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Off the top of my head: it has no way to search for them.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Remand is heavily played and most X spells aren't uncounterable.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Gensuki posted:

So, why doesn't Urza Tron just run like 12 Banefires? That seems like a viable plan? Tall walls, then go to the head for 8 every turn?

Tron's big payoff cards are stronger than fireballs.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
EDIT: Wrong thread

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Oh 12 fireballs? Yeah, that's not gonna work. There isn't room in the deck. I tried experimenting with an x damage spell and I really would rather have the pyroclasms, wurmcoils, karn, and o stones. You usually can't afford to Ancient Stirrings your win con to the bottom of the deck either.

Babylon Astronaut fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Sep 5, 2014

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

The thing is basically that the first fireball or two basically don't do anything if they're pointed at the face, and they're less efficient at dealing with the board than any of Tron's other spells. Karn and Wurmcoil are must-answer threats, Karn and O-Stone are reliable, universal removal, etc.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Gensuki posted:

:ssh: My secret G/r Tron tech by the end of last Modern PTQ season was a single Bonfire of the Damned.

Had to do something to keep Modern fun (i.e. make Modern miserable for my opponents)

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
I look at tron like you're trying to skip your turn 3-6 and play turn 7 early. Fireball on turn 7 isn't good.

Well sure, you can put whatever expensive card you fancy in as a 1 off. Bonfire for its miracle cost is kinda like your pyroclasm so it would slot in ok.

Babylon Astronaut fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Sep 5, 2014

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Does anyone who plays Vintage 2 mans online not play Gush Storm? Seriously, I've played 5 rounds, and it's the only thing I've played.

Edit: At least I won this one.

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Sep 5, 2014

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I can see Mindswipe being played in that deck everyone tried to make work but it didn't work because the support that existed was bad.

Counterburn. :getin:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Count Bleck posted:

I can see Mindswipe being played in that deck everyone tried to make work but it didn't work because the support that existed was bad.

Counterburn. :getin:

There isn't enough good counter or burn to play that deck unless something amazing get previewed. Mindswipe is a bad Syncopate, really. (And this is someone who has been dying to play Izzet ever since he got back into the game.) Outside of Nullify, Negate and Swan Song, all of the counterspells available to U/R are 3CMC+. (This ignores Thassa's Rebuff.) At this point, I don't see a non-green deck being able to survive long enough to toss out Keranos and let him do his thing.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

suicidesteve posted:

Does anyone who plays Vintage 2 mans online not play Gush Storm? Seriously, I've played 5 rounds, and it's the only thing I've played.

Edit: At least I won this one.
Are you sure you're not just playing the same guy 5 rounds in a row? I've heard Legacy is like that. Vintage may now be better with VMA driving up interest.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

OneDeadman posted:

Yesssss

Fuel for Clones.edh

Yeah, going into my Lazav copy/steal deck ASAP. I think I'm going to call it SendInTheClones.edh, though.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE
So I know buying boxes is stupid.

That said, is there anywhere you can preorder a box for Khans and have it delivered release day?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

YorexTheMad posted:

So I know buying boxes is stupid.

Dumb question, why is buying boxes stupid?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

mango sentinel posted:

Are you sure you're not just playing the same guy 5 rounds in a row? I've heard Legacy is like that. Vintage may now be better with VMA driving up interest.

Yeah, It's been over a period of 3 days. No repeat opponents, Gush Storm every time. The first one was Sam Sherman, who I think is someone? The name sounded familiar anyway.

Are there any cheap bUG (preferably no more than 1 B in its cost.) cards that give all creatures -x/-1? Like, 1 or 2 CMC? I'm tired of these stupid Goblins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Deviant posted:

Dumb question, why is buying boxes stupid?

The estimated value of a box is generally less than if you were to just buy the singles you want for the 100$ you paid for the box.

That said, buying boxes tends to help me stave off my addicting to cracking packs.

I'm considering buying a box and then just opening a pack a day to stem my needs.

• Locked thread