Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Effectronica posted:

Speaking half-seriously, there's so much stuff out there in even semi-urban areas that the main issues facing most people would be boredom and loneliness in an immediately post-apocalyptic period. Instructions are everywhere on things, even the most out-of-shape person could break down glass sliding doors with a crowbar or tire iron, and there's enough imperishable junk hanging around that people could feed themselves for long enough to get books and pamphlets on agriculture and read them.

That's not actually what I meant.

The problem with this is limited supply, your average urban area only has at most a few days worth of food for every inhabitant and once that starts to run low is when the real chaos starts. If something wipes out half to two thirds of the population first then you have the luxury of time, if the food just stops coming one day because reasons...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Besides, everybody knows that the interesting parts about post-apocalypses come well after whatever precipitated the end of stuff. That's why Fallout New Vegas is cool and, uh, RAGE is sad.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Kwyndig posted:

The problem with this is limited supply, your average urban area only has at most a few days worth of food for every inhabitant and once that starts to run low is when the real chaos starts. If something wipes out half to two thirds of the population first then you have the luxury of time, if the food just stops coming one day because reasons...

That's not a conventional post-apocalyptic scenario, then! Even 66% death rates really are low for your typical end-of-the-world thing.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Chances are that most communities, if they worked together, could probably fare a zombie outbreak pretty well. Their enemy is a slower, dumber, and more fragile version of themselves that can only hurt them at immediate range and transfer their disease in the one of the most inefficient methods possible. Humans have the advantage in that duel.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Davin Valkri posted:

Besides, everybody knows that the interesting parts about post-apocalypses come well after whatever precipitated the end of stuff. That's why Fallout New Vegas is cool and, uh, RAGE is sad.

Yeah I'd like to skip directly to the fire-breathing-hotrod and crossbow stage of the Post-apocalypse.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I remember some RPG book having a list of ten groups that would survive an apocalypse or something like that. The only ones I remember are Mormons and the army.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD

Bucnasti posted:

Yeah I'd like to skip directly to the fire-breathing-hotrod and crossbow stage of the Post-apocalypse.

I meant the "in what image shall we rebuild civilization" stage of the post-post-apocalypse.

But I'm the weirdo who'd rather play in pre-apocalypse or post-post-apocalypse settings over straight apoc/post-apoc settings.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Zurui posted:

I remember some RPG book having a list of ten groups that would survive an apocalypse or something like that. The only ones I remember are Mormons and the army.

Insurance salesman and Hurdling Athletes.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Covok posted:

Chances are that most communities, if they worked together, could probably fare a zombie outbreak pretty well. Their enemy is a slower, dumber, and more fragile version of themselves that can only hurt them at immediate range and transfer their disease in the one of the most inefficient methods possible. Humans have the advantage in that duel.

Zombies are at their most symbolic when they're devastating cities and the world instead of menacing people in cheap Italian flicks, so you're not really fighting the undead monster, you're fighting societal discord, consumerism, authoritarianism, etc.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Covok posted:

The bolded part is where it all comes apart. The operative term in zombie apocalypse isn't really zombie, it's apocalypse. These things could be set in the backdrop of any other disaster, whether it's a category 6 hurricane, a supervolcano, a tsunami, and it'd still work because the conflict really comes from how people react to and treat each other. Zombies just modifies the natural disaster to be something that people can fight off in limited amounts, gives it more persistence (compared to a flood that you'd expect to withdraw after so long) and throws in some additional moral issues such as infection and wounding.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Davin Valkri posted:

I meant the "in what image shall we rebuild civilization" stage of the post-post-apocalypse.

But I'm the weirdo who'd rather play in pre-apocalypse or post-post-apocalypse settings over straight apoc/post-apoc settings.

If I was rebuilding civilization, it would be with fire breathing hot rods and crossbows.

Oh and shoulder-pads, everyone would have to wear shoulder-pads.

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

"You're talking to cats."
"And you eat ghosts, so shut the fuck up."
Although some of the newer zombie fiction tends to go at that from a different perspective. Like, Mira Grant's zombie novels describe an America that survived the zombie apocalypse with only like a 30% death rate, and are more or less about the idea that fear of a thing sometimes becomes more damaging than the thing itself, which is a general theme I know I've come across that elsewhere in post 2010-zombie books. (Also specifically with the Mira Grant books, there was this cute thing where like every third kid born after the rising was named George or Georgette or Georgina because George Romero saved the world with his series of weirdly prophetic cheesy horror films which taught people how to kill zombies.)

If I ever ran another zombie campaign, personally, it'd be something more like that. A setting profoundly effected by the presence of zombies, but not like... in ruins with random bands of survivors and occasional bandit kings or whatever. I'm kind of burnt out on really bleak hopeless zombie apocalypse scenarios where HUMANS ARE THE REAL MONSTERS at this point.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Bucnasti posted:

If I was rebuilding civilization, it would be with fire breathing hot rods and crossbows.

That's the RAGE way of rebuilding civilization. Just everybody playing in the rubble. :colbert:

Effectronica posted:

Zombies are at their most symbolic when they're devastating cities and the world instead of menacing people in cheap Italian flicks, so you're not really fighting the undead monster, you're fighting societal discord, consumerism, authoritarianism, etc.

But you can get all of those things without zombies. In fact it'd probably be easier to highlight those themes without zombies, depending on if you're willing to set a game in, say, 1950s full Cold War paranoia USA and play the McCarthyism for all it's worth.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Davin Valkri posted:

That's the RAGE way of rebuilding civilization. Just everybody playing in the rubble. :colbert:

But you can get all of those things without zombies. In fact it'd probably be easier to highlight those themes without zombies, depending on if you're willing to set a game in, say, 1950s full Cold War paranoia USA and play the McCarthyism for all it's worth.

Just rip off the cheesy Italian sequels to Night of the Living Dead and have Knights Templar zombies menace vacationers on some random island, and then have ridiculous zombie sharks.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Zurui posted:

Isn't mormons one of the big groups surviving the apocalypse a thing on Fallout?

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

"You're talking to cats."
"And you eat ghosts, so shut the fuck up."

Davin Valkri posted:

Well, the thing is, zombie apocalypse fiction not written in the 1950s (which is to say, pretty much all of it) is not going to be about 1950s Cold War paranoia, because, like most speculative fiction, it reflects the societal hangups of its time. And zombie fiction is basically just a very extreme, very blunt version of that. It robs people of everything in order to push them to their limits and make a statement about society or human nature or whatever. There are works that do the same things without zombies, but they're not like what you're describing -- they're things like Cormac McCarthy's The Road.

I mean, sometimes it's also just about killing zombies with chainsaws, but in the same sense that sometimes science fiction is only about shooting robots with spacelasers.

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012

Bucnasti posted:

I don't see what 80s/90s fashion has to do with the two former items. :shrug:

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Auralsaurus Flex posted:

I don't see what 80s/90s fashion has to do with the two former items. :shrug:

It's not a proper post apocalypse wasteland unless.

Everyone

Wears

Awesome

Shoulder-pads

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Isn't mormons one of the big groups surviving the apocalypse a thing on Fallout?

Yeah, it was going to be a big part of the original design of Fallout Three which then got relegated to New Vegas DLC. The second best DLC, but still.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

It's nice to see that the apocalypse won't damage our supplies of hair dye and peroxide. Though apparently it will massacre our underwear stocks. Also all of those look lame.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Quarex posted:

but the hate for play-yourself games mystifies me,

I have a serious medical condtion that would cause me to die in agony after a year or two without access to a modern medical system. It represents enough of my selfimage that any self-insert DMPCs I run are all fisher king archetypes.

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.

DalaranJ posted:

I have a serious medical condtion that would cause me to die in agony after a year or two without access to a modern medical system. It represents enough of my selfimage that any self-insert DMPCs I run are all fisher king archetypes.

This is also one of the things that makes me back away from the idea. My dad has type 1 diabetes. He would die, very soon, in any sort of apocalyptic scenario, and there is absolutely nothing I could do about it. Not very fun.

I wear chainmail at work on a semi-daily basis and that outfit makes me cringe so hard. That stuff is hell on your bare skin.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Tulul posted:

I wear chainmail at work on a semi-daily basis and that outfit makes me cringe so hard. That stuff is hell on your bare skin.

Are you a knight Errant, what the hell?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Error 404 posted:

Are you a knight Errant, what the hell?

Chain mail actually has a lot of modern uses. I think the one most people think of is shark suits. But some butchers use it and a lot of industrial jobs actually use chain mail.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

mr.capps posted:

Chain mail actually has a lot of modern uses. I think the one most people think of is shark suits. But some butchers use it and a lot of industrial jobs actually use chain mail.

That's weird and also cool. Well, not cool for bare skin, but still cool.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Error 404 posted:

That's weird and also cool. Well, not cool for bare skin, but still cool.

Pretty sure the typical gutting/dressing mail glove has a sort of normal glove inside it.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Plague of Hats posted:

Pretty sure the typical gutting/dressing mail glove has a sort of normal glove inside it.

Yes they do, partially to keep the gunk off your hands (which doesn't always work) and also as an additional layer of protection if you're dumb or clumsy or just plain forget and stab your own hands.

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.
Yeah, I work in a kitchen and have to wear mail (or "metal mesh", because they're squares) to clean all of the big powered slicers. Those things are sharp as hell; a guy lost a finger a week before I was hired because he wasn't wearing a glove. Machine wasn't even turned on, just slipped and pushed his finger against the blade.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

^^^ :stonk:

Davin Valkri posted:

Also all of those look lame.

Heritic! When I run Barter Town you won't be allowed to man the double crossbow turret on my six-wheeled nitro-burning-dune-buggy.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

^^^ :v:

Tulul posted:

Yeah, I work in a kitchen and have to wear mail (or "metal mesh", because they're squares) to clean all of the big powered slicers. Those things are sharp as hell; a guy lost a finger a week before I was hired because he wasn't wearing a glove. Machine wasn't even turned on, just slipped and pushed his finger against the blade.

I'm kind of surprised it's not (as far as I know) Dillons/Kroger store policy that you always wear mesh gloves handling the slicers. The number of stories about missing finger tips that I have heard from my Dillons-employed friend…

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
That game is way way less depressing than the movie Threads.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis

Zurui posted:

The book you're thinking of is GURPS Y2K, which is a real good resource for Beginning of the apocalypse games.

There's only three groups mentioned. You got the latter two. the first is small towns. Rural small towns in temperate climates that have farms. They'll pull together to keep their town from collapsing into chaos.

It does list the top ten professions in demand after a major disaster. They are farmer, Veterinarian, Cook, Teacher, Scrounger, Mechanic, Armorer, Combat instructor/militia captain, Physician/nurse, and strangely counselor.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

A friend of mine worked at Disneyworld when he was young and apparently they're all kitted out with absolutely everything they need to be self sufficient, their own airfield, manufacturing facilities, generators, food etc etc. So he would always run post apocalypse games with Disney as the last refuge of civilization.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Bucnasti posted:

Disney as the last refuge of civilization.

"The city of tomorrow" as it were.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Bucnasti posted:

A friend of mine worked at Disneyworld when he was young and apparently they're all kitted out with absolutely everything they need to be self sufficient, their own airfield, manufacturing facilities, generators, food etc etc. So he would always run post apocalypse games with Disney as the last refuge of civilization.

Sadly it seems the airport is no longer in use, having stopped operations in the early 80s.

It would, however, be totally valid for 1977!

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Between that and the horrendously creepy artificial town nearby filled with actors paid to live day-and-night in an uncanny-valley attempt at portraying the Ideal American Small Town, there's got to be an Unknown Armies adventure in there somewhere.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Tollymain posted:

Between that and the horrendously creepy artificial town nearby filled with actors paid to live day-and-night in an uncanny-valley attempt at portraying the Ideal American Small Town

Wait, what? Holy gently caress, except for the actors bit this is a real thing.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Disney is basically a real-life cyberpunk megacorporation. They even planned to enter the construction and real estate markets in the late 90s before the dotcom bubble and the end of the Disney Renaissance put paid to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Covok posted:

gently caress humans, could you imagine a zombie fighting off a raccoon? The critters would take care of zombies in short order.

• Locked thread