Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Dreylad posted:

I see you Italy and raise you Glorious Serbja, True Heir to the Holy Orthodox Church, 5th Rome.

Serbia is not impeded by the lesser problems of normal borders

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

alcaras posted:

Question on save-file compatibility with different DLCs as I'm about to start a succession game with friends.

If I'm playing as Catholic ruler with all DLCs except Sunset Invasion enabled (including Portrait Packs + Music), will a friend who only has SoA+ToG+LoR DLCs be able to open, play, and save the game?

Or should I disable all DLCs except for those three?

Also, if I am using Ruler Designer to design a starting character, will subsequent players need Ruler Designer to play that save file?

Without taking mods into account, CK2 player can open any CK2 save file. They'll be unable to play muslim/jewish/pagan characters if they lack the DLC for it, and the coats of arms might look weird or be missing if they don't have the DLC for that, but they should be able to play as a Catholic ruler just fine without any issues! Your friend won't need ruler designer at all.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

1stGear posted:

What does the new CK2+ map look like? The absurd extra provinces and holdings killed the last version for me.

I was mostly working on events and other scripting issues but from what I can tell the visual map is mostly the same as the pre-Rajas version (so 4 province Iceland remains) but most of the new provinces I've run into don't have many sub-holdings, the idea is more a split (so there's a higher percentage of count-and-higher landholders in certain areas to make the poltiical situation more interesting) than a straight addition of holdings.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

The version of CK+ I just installed appears to be back to the vanilla map, for which I am happy.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Then either the vanilla map has changed a lot more than I thought or the map complaints were overstated to begin with: the rewrite did not make significant changes to the map as compared to the previous version, because we were certain the map was not causing the crashes (because as another dev put it, map problems tend to mean the game does not start).

But hey, happy users are happy users! I just hope the CTDs are less common than they used to be: I haven't had many in testing at least, but we haven't had huge amounts of time to really put the build through its paces.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Nah there have been pretty significant changes from the old CK2+ map. Alot of the more problematic provinces were removed and some of them have been reshaped to not look awful. It's pretty sane now actually.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

SkySteak posted:

Our people were born of the sky.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Dreylad posted:

Our people were born of the sky.

Srbi su nebo-ljudi?!

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Zeron posted:

Nah there have been pretty significant changes from the old CK2+ map. Alot of the more problematic provinces were removed and some of them have been reshaped to not look awful. It's pretty sane now actually.

All right, those must have been made during the first attempted Rajas update then. Sorry to confuse!

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Ofaloaf posted:

I've been working on this a little bit. The newest version of the github dev version has 'Revelationist' in Appalachia, which is basically the snake handling and Charismatic Christianity-sans-Christ thing that's been bandied about now for a while. Regarding British paganism, is 'Emeraldite' or 'Emeraldist' too on-the-nose?

Unless there's a reference I'm not getting, the Emerald Isle is Ireland, not Britain. The closest poetic equivalent for Britain would be "This Sceptred Isle". If you want something sort of referential, might I suggest flipping the British invasion around a bit? If they're invading the home of Cthulhu-worshipers, perhaps their religion is based on a conflation of a british social institution and a british cultural institution, and the English invasion is a holy order of nameless GPs invading Boston to push back a threat that comes from beyond the stars.

Maybe that's too on the nose, of course. If they're occultists fighting for their God-Queen looking to resurrect the festering corpse that is her former empire, I'd suggest simply calling the religion Imperialism.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Fuligin posted:

Playing as Muslims is still really awesome though, and opens up like half the map. I mean decadence is lovely, but they have plenty of other things going on. I wouldn't mind another SoA style dlc to give them some more depth, but I could say that about any West European culture group.

I've definitely had great fun playing muslims, but I can literally count on one hand the amount of times I've played them. Agreed that some flavour/tweaked mechanics would do them wonders.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I would love to be able to mod them to allow matri marriages. The option exists in the religion file, but it doesn't show up in the UI when enabled. Same for republics too, I want to be able to mod in matri marriages for them too.

KOraithER
May 13, 2007

Kids, go in the other room. Grown-up talk.

Reveilled posted:

Unless there's a reference I'm not getting, the Emerald Isle is Ireland, not Britain.

It's a reference to A Study in Emerald.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
When you're a vassal, how does Demanding a Duchy from your liege work?

What decides whether or not you'll be successful? e.g. If I have 2 of 4 counties for a duchy, will that do it? Or do I have to have 3 of 4? Or is there still a chance to fail?

Essentially how does it work :-S

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Far as I know the decision's available if you own one of the de jure counties in the duchy, and your success depends on (a) how many duchies your liege holds, (b) how much he likes you, and (c) how much he likes any other counts in the de jure duchy.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Well, then it's probably not too on the nose since I didn't get it :shobon:

EDIT: I'd still recommend Imperialism as a name, though, it keeps with the idea of post-event cultures fetishising glories of the past, and still has in its name an oblique reference to the idea of the Queen as the central figure of the religion.

Reveilled fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Sep 5, 2014

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

I've been trying to download and install the After The End beta and I've got the Zip file downloaded, but I can't install it. Where are you supposed to put it? I put it in the mod folder, but that didn't work.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Bruce Wayne, King of Gotham, died at the age of 75. His son, born that year, took the throne of Gotham at the age of 6 months, pissing off everyone who wanted his grandson through his eldest daughter to inherit. Most of the wars were fought while he was still in regency, crusades from the popes in St. Louis and Quebec and wars of conquest against the remnants of Hudsonia and Deitschrei. I think it worked well for everyone involved, though!

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Is it beneficial to create Republics within your own kingdom? As in, to raise the tax value of cities to them? I am playing as Wales right now, and there are lots of opportunities in my local area for trade centres because most of Britain is coastal. I don't mind losing a county, I am just planning ahead.

Is there any way to make a Republic and force them to be your liege?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

IS there anything that prevents the Jomsvikings from appearing? I have Rugen and Werle under my command, but have yet to conquer Wolgast or Stettin. Do I need all 4 or is it just a matter of being patient? The Pomeranians have also built a castle in Wolgast so I dunno if that will prevent the event from firing altogether or just in that province.

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Don't forget to source your quotes!
I finally did it:

On Ironman mode. :getin:

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
I still see Germania and parts of Dacia. You've got some work to do, soldier :hist101:

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

Reveilled posted:

Unless there's a reference I'm not getting, the Emerald Isle is Ireland, not Britain. The closest poetic equivalent for Britain would be "This Sceptred Isle". If you want something sort of referential, might I suggest flipping the British invasion around a bit? If they're invading the home of Cthulhu-worshipers, perhaps their religion is based on a conflation of a british social institution and a british cultural institution, and the English invasion is a holy order of nameless GPs invading Boston to push back a threat that comes from beyond the stars.

Maybe that's too on the nose, of course. If they're occultists fighting for their God-Queen looking to resurrect the festering corpse that is her former empire, I'd suggest simply calling the religion Imperialism.

In the latest version they follow Thelema, the religion of Aleister Crowley.

MichiganCubbie posted:

I've been trying to download and install the After The End beta and I've got the Zip file downloaded, but I can't install it. Where are you supposed to put it? I put it in the mod folder, but that didn't work.

Did you unzip it?

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

MichiganCubbie posted:

Do you have it in the my documents mod folder? And if you are using the github version you need to bring the .mod file out of the folder and then rename the folder to After the End.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Zeron posted:

Do you have it in the my documents mod folder? And if you are using the github version you need to bring the .mod file out of the folder and then rename the folder to After the End.

That did it! I had moved the .mod file out, but I never renamed the folder. Thanks!

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Smoremaster posted:

I finally did it:

On Ironman mode. :getin:

In true Roman tradition, 6 months down the line, that Emperor is going to die, leaving two heirs to divide up your hard work up, bickering with each other until the Mongols ruin everything and extract tribute from you.

Edit: Also a plague will spread through Gaul

Edit Edit: Also the soldiers will nominate a random rear end general as Augustus.

SkySteak fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Sep 5, 2014

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Another Person posted:

Is it beneficial to create Republics within your own kingdom? As in, to raise the tax value of cities to them? I am playing as Wales right now, and there are lots of opportunities in my local area for trade centres because most of Britain is coastal. I don't mind losing a county, I am just planning ahead.

Is there any way to make a Republic and force them to be your liege?

Just give a mayor in a coastal county the count level title, then make them a Duke, also yes it does provide you with a lot of money if you have high city taxes.

Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

I tried to take screenshots of this but they seem to have disappeared: As the King of Aquitaine who controlled the duchies of Barcelona and Aragon, I had an 11,000 strong peasant uprising led by a 22 martial brilliant strategist. He was brave, he was ambitious, and he was a dwarf. After being depleted by a series of holy wars and failing to consider the terrain, I wildly underestimated the peasant army and ended up losing half my kingdom. Their dwarf leader became the wildly popular King of Aragon and quickly fathered a child with a Venetian noble, but became incapable after being conked in the head during battle in an otherwise successful holy war. He ended up holding on for another decade or so, still maintaining a surprisingly decent set of skills despite his injury. Aragon waned after his death, and after a very brief period as the dominant kingdom in Iberia, eventually ceased to exist altogether.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
BEHOLD:

GEOGRAPHY

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634

SkySteak posted:

In true Roman tradition, 6 months down the line, that Emperor is going to die, leaving two heirs to divide up your hard work up, bickering with each other until the Mongols ruin everything and extract tribute from you.

Edit: Also a plague will spread through Gaul

Edit Edit: Also the soldiers will nominate a random rear end general as Augustus.

I wish that could happen. Imagine if the retinues could pick sides in a civil war, it would be loving ace.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Bitter Mushroom posted:

I wish that could happen. Imagine if the retinues could pick sides in a civil war, it would be loving ace.

In CK1, armies could betray you and a vassal rebelling would take his levies out of the ones you currently had raised. This mean a civil war where you had 10k troops could drop down to 5k in a blink of an eye.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
e: nevermind

alcaras fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Sep 5, 2014

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Mister Olympus posted:

BEHOLD:

GEOGRAPHY

That's... not Ireland!

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Crusade for Hungary?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

SkySteak posted:

All borders of Serbia are pretty borders.

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!

This kid is a player!

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

OddObserver posted:

Crusade for Hungary?

Had this happen as Brittany once. Seems likely. Then I noticed Germany hanging out in Aquitaine. Some Karling clusterfuck I guess. But what the heck is Italy doing up in France?

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

cryptoclastic posted:

Had this happen as Brittany once. Seems likely. Then I noticed Germany hanging out in Aquitaine. Some Karling clusterfuck I guess. But what the heck is Italy doing up in France?

Probably also Karling clusterfuck.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Bishop Rodan posted:

This kid is a player!

Did your last character die after having arranged that feast, by any chance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!

Broken Cog posted:

Did your last character die after having arranged that feast, by any chance?

Nope!

• Locked thread