Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

Pukestain Pal posted:

showing the legs and getting rid of that dumb bush would have at least made for a more interesting photo.

I don't get the bush hate. It's an interesting and colorful backdrop. I'd say move the frame down, though: lose the sky, show at least half of her calves. The bubbles would work much better in-focus, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Still not settled on a cropping for this one, but had a quick session with a local musician last night

sw1gger
Sep 19, 2004
meowcakes

bisticles posted:

Still not settled on a cropping for this one, but had a quick session with a local musician last night

Somethings seems weird about the right (his left) eye. Did you try removing glare or something?

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

sw1gger posted:

Somethings seems weird about the right (his left) eye. Did you try removing glare or something?

I think it's just the diffusion fabric from the moon unit in reflection, I didn't do any real selective touch-up on this.

sw1gger
Sep 19, 2004
meowcakes

thetzar posted:

I don't get the bush hate. It's an interesting and colorful backdrop. I'd say move the frame down, though: lose the sky, show at least half of her calves. The bubbles would work much better in-focus, too.

Yeah seriously - leave that drat bush alone. It's nice. I actually think the legs shouldn't be in the photo at all- I'm not sure showing to the calf would actually help. Regarding the blurry bubbles, I can go either way.

Processing wise, it's a bit average. If you're doing a tumblrcore-themed shoot, might as well go all the way with it. On a side note, whoever did the makeup did a really nice job.

Tony Two Bapes
Mar 30, 2009
amro3 by PC-P, on Flickr

Breadnought
Aug 25, 2009

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

Chill Callahan fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Aug 31, 2014

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

I like his photo, but not really hers. The lighting is really unflattering on her face.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
The Woods in Stratford by McMadCow, on Flickr

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Nice, I always like how you let the blacks in your prints actually go to black, gives them such a rich feeling.

Breadnought
Aug 25, 2009

mr. mephistopheles posted:

I like his photo, but not really hers. The lighting is really unflattering on her face.

Do you have any suggestions for more flattering lighting? Would a more straight-on angle that didn't put so much of her face in shadow do better? I know it's pretty subjective, but I'm still trying to learn how to best use my flash off camera.

This is another one from the same shoot, for comparison.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
The shadows make her face look lumpy. I think some straight on fill would help.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Breadnought posted:

Do you have any suggestions for more flattering lighting? Would a more straight-on angle that didn't put so much of her face in shadow do better? I know it's pretty subjective, but I'm still trying to learn how to best use my flash off camera.

This is another one from the same shoot, for comparison.

I would have tried to bring the light around more to the front as much as I could without getting into the angle of view of the lens; that would have helped to get more light on the right side of her face. If there was an available corner of the room, you could have had the subject stand close enough to the wall to act as a reflector to get fill light on the opposite side of her face from where the light is set up. Alternatively, you could use some white poster board and hold it up next to the subject's face to act as the reflector. See example below:

No Reflector vs. Reflector by jemuelb, on Flickr

Left photo was shot using no reflector and if I remember correctly, a 60" umbrella. The right photo was shot exactly the same way, except I had another friend hold up a white piece of poster board to act as a reflector to add fill light to the right side of the subject's face.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

this guy seemed fun

Blacksofa
Apr 6, 2010
DSC_1330 by El Squared, on Flickr

DSC_1335-5 by El Squared, on Flickr
It feels like the second picture has the highlights a little blown out.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Blacksofa posted:

It feels like the second picture has the highlights a little blown out.

There are some unfortunate shadows going on in the front of her dress in the first one as well. Shooting under harsh sun usually creates all sorts of issues if you're not modifying the light in some way.

Speaking of shooting under natural light:
Photographer friend let me point the camera at her while we were on a shoot.

And this is the model we were shooting:

My Flickr Page! :nws:

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

McMadCow posted:

And this is the model we were shooting:

Dig this, but dat border....

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

What bothers you about "dat" border?

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

I get the feeling he thinks it's a photoshop preset

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
wet process: #nofilter.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Just to clarify, I printed both of those shots in the same session, by chance the same orientation in the same negative carrier. So the pattern of the border is pretty similar. Funny, it's never happened that it turned out so close before. There's usually so much random stuff happening during my printing that things naturally differentiate.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Do you just dodge the whole image and let the boarders burn in?

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Spedman posted:

Do you just dodge the whole image and let the boarders burn in?

8 seconds main frame, 8 minutes for the border. The paper comes off the easel smoking a bit, but the developer puts that out, so nbd.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.
Finally got around to scanning some photos of friends. I've decided I really like photographing people in their homes.

img009
by LargeHadron, on Flickr

img006

img003

img005

img002

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

LargeHadron posted:

Finally got around to scanning some photos of friends. I've decided I really like photographing people in their homes.

img006

Love how this one looks. Was it processed at all or is that just the film "talking"?

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Love how this one looks. Was it processed at all or is that just the film "talking"?

It's all the film. The only thing I did to it was remove about 938443572 dust spots.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
Now we know why they make film presets.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

neat

Tigertron
Jan 19, 2007

Tiger, tiger, burning bright

Erica-portrait by sensitometry - Steven Harris, on Flickr

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

I loving love that background. Is it a chalkboard?

Her arms make the photo pretty unflattering and you should have straightened her collar. Do some more with that background, it's great.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Tigertron
Jan 19, 2007

Tiger, tiger, burning bright

Pukestain Pal posted:

I loving love that background. Is it a chalkboard?

Her arms make the photo pretty unflattering and you should have straightened her collar. Do some more with that background, it's great.

Thanks I appreciate that. It happened to be a Thai resturant we were eating at but I definitely would love to recreate a space like that.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

365 Nog Hogger posted:

this guy seemed fun

He is but unfortunately didn't want that picture on the internet. :mufasa:

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

byob.jpg

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Chill Callahan posted:

He is but unfortunately didn't want that picture on the internet. :mufasa:

I really cannot imagine why.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

widunder
May 2, 2002

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Same story as in a couple of other places: scanning pop's old slide film (Koda/Ektachrome c. 1965-75).

Jesus by mattphilpott, on Flickr

Pop by mattphilpott, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

Hell yeah