Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

FuckenPunchOn posted:

Idiot people on my facebook are currently commenting on this.

Gendered chocolate eggs. They'll getcha every time.

I thought the FDA ruled these illegal in the US. For those who don't know the chocolate is actually a thin shell around a plastic egg with a toy inside. Something about the toy not being wrapped and/or kids choking on them or something. Or at least that's what I was told from my sister cause she'd make me bring her boxes of them every time I visited the states.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
That ban got reversed very recently since the Kinder eggs now have a giant plastic egg under an extremely thin layer of chocolate.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
Kinder eggs are awesome.

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 07:55 on Sep 13, 2014

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

FuckenPunchOn posted:

Idiot people on my facebook are currently commenting on this.

Gendered chocolate eggs. They'll getcha every time.

on the one hand, that does say kinder surprise girl on that pricetag.
On the other hand, sexers are valuable and if that mom could determine the sex of the chicken right then and there, she deserves a medal

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Boris Galerkin posted:

I thought the FDA ruled these illegal in the US. For those who don't know the chocolate is actually a thin shell around a plastic egg with a toy inside. Something about the toy not being wrapped and/or kids choking on them or something. Or at least that's what I was told from my sister cause she'd make me bring her boxes of them every time I visited the states.

How can the USA be so bad

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
Wait they sell kinder eggs in the US now? I spent about 5 years in Germany as a kid and I loved those drat things. Only time I got them here was when I had a friend send me a care package before Easter. The choking thing is retarded.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Darth Freddy posted:

Wait they sell kinder eggs in the US now? I spent about 5 years in Germany as a kid and I loved those drat things. Only time I got them here was when I had a friend send me a care package before Easter. The choking thing is retarded.

The main question is if they import actual chocolate or if some company like Hershey's is making them which means we get good old American vomit chocolate

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.

Sentient Data posted:

The main question is if they import actual chocolate or if some company like Hershey's is making them which means we get good old American vomit chocolate

This is true, tasting the German chocolate in such a long time really proved how lovely the stuff around here is.

Chococat
Aug 22, 2000
Forum Veteran

Kinder eggs are still super illegal in the US, only this terrible knockoff kind with the plastic sticking out from the seams is ok. I think the Target-looking shelf tags are from Target's recent disastrous push into the Canadian market.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Chococat posted:

Kinder eggs are still super illegal in the US
Seriously this is among the most retarded things I've seen this week. They're bloody Kinder eggs! If your kid is too stupid to handle a Kinder egg, or you're too bad a parent to stop your kid killing him/herself with a Kinder egg, you should return your child as soon as possible because you done hosed up.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

TetsuoTW posted:

Seriously this is among the most retarded things I've seen this week. They're bloody Kinder eggs! If your kid is too stupid to handle a Kinder egg, or you're too bad a parent to stop your kid killing him/herself with a Kinder egg, you should return your child as soon as possible because you done hosed up.

Every time Kinder eggs come up, you can always, always, be assured that some goon is going to explode with rage that they are illegal.

It's just lovely candy with a lovely toy guys, calm down.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

kazil posted:

Every time Kinder eggs come up, you can always, always, be assured that some goon is going to explode with rage that they are illegal.

It's just lovely candy with a lovely toy guys, calm down.

Less rage, more total bafflement.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

TetsuoTW posted:

I think the law has to take into account two-year-olds. Who are pretty stupid.

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

Tunicate posted:

I think the law has to take into account two-year-olds. Who are pretty stupid.

Someone has to try and choke a 2 year old not really with the plastic shell inside a Kinder egg now because I'm not actually sure it's even possible for them to ram that in their mouth, it's pretty loving huge.

Also Kinder eggs are a crappy rip off thing with hardly any chocolate and a cheap toy, just buy a bar of the Kinder chocolate instead srsly. Or are those banned too for making people understand just how badly Hershey's tastes of puke?

FuckenPunchOn
Nov 9, 2013

TetsuoTW posted:

Yeah, you've got to work pretty drat hard to swallow the big loving capsule that the toy comes in. The capsules are sealed pretty tight from what I remember, so unless your kid has the right combination of stupidity and tenacity, then they don't even risk chewing the capsule open and choking on the toy pieces.

Junius
May 14, 2006

Thank you, entertainment committee.
In case anyone was actually wondering, the pink Kinder Surprise eggs are coloured because they're special edition Barbie eggs. Not that that would make it any less "gendered" for idiots who see things that way (I think they had blue Spiderman eggs too).

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I don't know about stupid, when I was a young kid (uk) by the time I had eaten the chocolate my fingers were too slick to open the capsule due to melted chocolate and salive, so I tended to bite the seam on the egg to pop it open. I can see where the choking hazard comes in.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
I think the FDA thing came from a ruling that banned all candy that contained an inedible part that was completely disguised by the candy. They have never really enforced the ban however. As a kid I brought a dozen back from Italy for my classmates and you used to be able to buy them at the British Tea Store/Specialty Shop around the corner from my Grandmothers house. Plus they aren't banned anymore, I'm pretty sure you can just get them from World Market these days.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Junius posted:

In case anyone was actually wondering, the pink Kinder Surprise eggs are coloured because they're special edition Barbie eggs. Not that that would make it any less "gendered" for idiots who see things that way (I think they had blue Spiderman eggs too).

However, unless the kid wants a barbie toy, he's going to be disappointed.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

No one ever said anything to me or my wife directly when we used to be on food stamps, but whenever someone is using food stamps in the line in front of me I've gotten a lot of the dude next to me looking at me with a smirk. I don't ever say anything because why bother I don't even know him.

I used to cashier at a grocery store and I actually have seen people get poo poo on for using EBT cards. The worst was this old probably-schizo creep who told me he was sure that if he 'smeared (black) shoepolish on his face I'd give him the lower price' (aka the foodstamps-eligible one) and ranted about the Spanish text on the bottom of his receipt. I finally figured out the way to keep his crazy rear end quiet was to speak only Spanish to him; he never said anything when I did that.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I think the real reason they were banned was that Nestlé or Hershey's or whoever decided they didn't want the competition, so the total ban was encouraged based on a largely unenforced law.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Junius posted:

Flat out calling the pink ones SURPRISE EGGS FOR GIRLS (and presumably the blue ones FOR BOYS) isn't really open to much misinterpretation re: is it gendered y/n.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Kajeesus posted:

I think the real reason they were banned was that Nestlé or Hershey's or whoever decided they didn't want the competition, so the total ban was encouraged based on a largely unenforced law.
They needn't have worried, Kinder chocolate's loving terrible.

Junius posted:

Not that that would make it any less "gendered" for idiots who see things that way
lol

FuckenPunchOn
Nov 9, 2013

My Lovely Horse posted:

Flat out calling the pink ones SURPRISE EGGS FOR GIRLS (and presumably the blue ones FOR BOYS) isn't really open to much misinterpretation re: is it gendered y/n.

Yeah, but who gives a poo poo?

If a four year old girl believes that what she wants more than anything else RIGHT THIS MINUTE is a lovely snap together barbie toy that she'll forget about in a week, as opposed to a lovely miniature bird feeder (or whatever the gently caress they cram into a normal Kinder egg) that she'll forget about in a week, then it's still not something worth getting outraged about.

TetsuoTW posted:

They needn't have worried, Kinder chocolate's loving terrible.

And also this.

Junius
May 14, 2006

Thank you, entertainment committee.

My Lovely Horse posted:

I meant it more in relation to all these stdh.txt stories where someone LOUDLY and ANGRILY decides Gender X can't have the pink/blue toy because they'll... I don't know, explode or something.

For what it's worth, I bought my daughter both kinds of eggs (neither of which she choked on) and Barbie is still going strong weeks later while poor Spider-man didn't survive the car ride home.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I actually think that gendered thing happened because it wasn't really over the top or super stilted.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
I was looking through birthday cards at [Big Box Retailer] when I heard a mother on the next aisle talking to her kid.
She said, "No you can't get that card; it's for a boy."
I was livid*, but what she said next calmed me down.
"You can't get that card either. You don't know how old she is but she isn't turning 30. Not that one, either. You are not her grandmother."

I don't even know if the little girl could read since when I saw them a few moments later, she was about two feet tall and yelling into a toy microphone. Maybe she just liked the pictures or colors on certain cards.

*not really

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

Aleph Null posted:

I was looking through birthday cards at [Big Box Retailer] when I heard a mother on the next aisle talking to her kid.
"You can't get that card either. You don't know how old she is but she isn't turning 30. Not that one, either. You are not her grandmother."

I don't even know if the little girl could read since when I saw them a few moments later, she was about two feet tall and yelling into a toy microphone. Maybe she just liked the pictures or colors on certain cards.

*not really

As a transgrandmother I am literally shaking

Lowly
Aug 13, 2009

Aleph Null posted:

*not really

I think it would be awesome if someone gave me a card that said "Happy Birthday Granddaughter" and told me their two year old picked it out for me. That mom is ruining all the fun!

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I've read an article about booksellers (in France) having to deal with parents who thought children books that weren't explicitly for boys or girls would make their children gay.

Double Plus Good
Nov 4, 2009

Kurtofan posted:

I've read an article about booksellers (in France) having to deal with parents who thought children books that weren't explicitly for boys or girls would make their children gay.

The pink/blue divide is strong in the US as well. There's a boy version and a girl version of everything, even into things that aren't explicitly pink or blue. My cousin has two boys and the youngest one was picking out a little stuffed animal thing at a souvenir shop. He wanted to get a cat toy and his mom wouldn't let him because "cats are for girls." She told him he could get a dog (which, apparently, are for boys) or nothing. So, yeah, the story still probably didn't happen in that the lady didn't freak out and scream at the employee, but there are certainly people (like my cousin) who would not let their boy have the pink egg.

Double Plus Good has a new favorite as of 18:40 on Sep 6, 2014

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
The mother in this story was probably doing the right thing explaining that the boy won't like the toy from the pink one and it would be waste of money. My 4-years-old nephew once talked me into buying him a pink Kinder Surprise and he almost ended up crying because of this shoddy Barbie doll. On the other hand, I wouldn't buy it for a girl either.

FuckenPunchOn
Nov 9, 2013
It could also be that the children who want the pink egg just think that it's strawberry flavour.

That's what I'd have thought when I was 5.

Buh
May 17, 2008
When I was a pre-school-age boy my favourite toy was My Little Pony and I can confirm the gender police were on it.

When I was still in kindergarten someone's parent awkwardly tried to be cool with giving me a girl's toy, and told me how they almost got me an action man but they remembered I 'didn't like that stuff'. The conversation was so bizarre to me then that I remembered it until I could recognise the subtext of 'Not sure what to do with you, gay kid, but I'm cool with it'.

By the time I was seven I'd picked up that I wasn't 'supposed' to like ponies, which absolutely did not come from my parents (and I commend their lack of giving a poo poo). I noticed people reacting strangely when I played with them on a train. About this time other boys started objecting to Unicorns and Ninja Turtles vs Godzilla which had been joined in without question before.

Over-written screaming matches weren't involved but adults and soon kids absolutely care if a five year old follows gender norms. poo poo's ridiculous.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

You can just see the thought process as they are making up this story in their head.
Wouldn't it be funny if....

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
Saw this on imgur and read it through four times trying to make sense of it. I still don't get it? I imagine one would have to really know the books to understand.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

kinmik posted:

Saw this on imgur and read it through four times trying to make sense of it. I still don't get it? I imagine one would have to really know the books to understand.

Pretty sure it's just "hah look this nappy headed hoe likes the same poo poo I do."

Nyarai
Jul 19, 2012

Jenn here.

Turtlicious posted:

Pretty sure it's just "hah look this nappy headed hoe likes the same poo poo I do."

In the movie, Rue is black and Katniss is white with a braid.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
As an aside, when they cast a black actress to play Rue, the internet fandom exploded with barely concealed racism.

(It was pretty loving clear she was black in the book.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Hahahah barely concealed? Twitter was full of "TOTALLY RUINED THE MOVIE WHEN I SAW RUE WAS BLACK" and "I cared less about Rue when I found out she was black", when yes, the district she is from in the book is quietly clearly described as being almost entirely Black. That and both Rue and Thrush, someone else from her district, are described obviously as dark skinned as well.

• Locked thread