Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
maestro81
Sep 4, 2014
I love the design of this game. Can't seem to get past the zombie town before I get bored with it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Question about upgrading aux weapons.

I usually use Pop Shot on the rocket launcher. The way I understand it, because the rocket has a travel time, when it strikes I already have my AR back in my hands, so the rocket strikes with the weapon stats of my AR. Is that correct?

If that is the case, upgrading the rocket launcher won't actually increase the damage when Pop Shot actually strikes, right?

Saman
Oct 23, 2008

Next, you'll say...
"What a good post!"

I would imagine it tracks it independently of the weapon in your hand when it hits, it seems way more sensible for it to be reading your rocket launcher's stats the second you start casting it than for it to read whatever's in your hand, but at the same time, that's precisely the kind of idiotic design bug/decision that I could see cropping up in TSW. My experience of getting the aux upgrade kits from elites and nightmares was that my rocket launcher got better damage as i upgraded it, but i was also getting weapon upgrades at the same time, so it could theoretically be anecdotal.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

The leeching guide someone linked earlier in the thread says this.

quote:

Because the rocket travel time in video games is unrealistically slow, by the time it hits you’re actually using your main weapon. This means Pop Shot hits with the stats of your primary weapon, including its weapon power, glyphs, and its AEGIS. If you fire Pop Shot then instantly switch to Guts and Gory, for example, you should be able to instantly remove many AEGIS shields.

If that's still correct then unless I'm firing Pop Shot at point blank range, it's going to strike using my AR's weapon power?

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Kessel posted:

The leeching guide someone linked earlier in the thread says this.

If that's still correct then unless I'm firing Pop Shot at point blank range, it's going to strike using my AR's weapon power?

Correct. Logic has no place in a discussion about Funcom programming.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

GEMorris posted:

Correct. Logic has no place in a discussion about Funcom programming.

That's pretty dumb. I guess I should be happy about it since it'll make Pop Shot strike with my much better AR.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Kessel posted:

That's pretty dumb. I guess I should be happy about it since it'll make Pop Shot strike with my much better AR.

The other question is: why are you using pop shot? Just for damage? Rocket jump has better utility in 18s and both crack with binding signet or the chainsaw DPs move do more damage, while the flamethrower spray (esp with the signet that can make it hit 10 targets) does a better job vs add swarms.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

GEMorris posted:

The other question is: why are you using pop shot? Just for damage? Rocket jump has better utility in 18s and both crack with binding signet or the chainsaw DPs move do more damage, while the flamethrower spray (esp with the signet that can make it hit 10 targets) does a better job vs add swarms.

I recently started using the flamethrower cone (forget the name), and can confirm that it's excellent against groups of little guys.

Frankenstein Dad
Jul 4, 2008

Dad of Frankenstein

GEMorris posted:

Check your AP privilege. :colbert:

Also, seeing as you're aiming to leech, it's worth noting that the quantum brace's AoE heal is pretty handy in group content too, especially when you're still gearing up.

Frankenstein Dad fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Sep 5, 2014

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

GEMorris posted:

I'm working on it! I just started running NMs and people are asking if I have all sorts of skills, and there isn't enough AP to go around.

Marx
Oct 24, 2003

This was the greatest day of my life. Finally I could stand on my soapbox and tell you American scum that you got exactly what you deserved.
P.S. Sorry Osama that Americans were not compassionate enough to take you in peacefully. You deserved better.
New game director letter is up

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Can someone recommend me a shotgun/whatever build that works in NMs and perhaps Tokyo? I want to try something different from what I've been doing all this while, and shotguns make a good noise.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Heh, liked the dragon debrief: the illuminati and the templars cancel each other out. we are the spark, we keep the world moving. So keep moving.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Skill point sinks at least. And they're giving us a teleporter...to Tokyo.

:negative:

Saman
Oct 23, 2008

Next, you'll say...
"What a good post!"

Kessel posted:

Can someone recommend me a shotgun/whatever build that works in NMs and perhaps Tokyo? I want to try something different from what I've been doing all this while, and shotguns make a good noise.

slapped together in a minute or so, in NM settings shotgun is usually the buffer for the team so they grab pistol or, depending on other dps in the group's builds, elementalism for short fuse. Gives up a passive for Debilitate because i don't think the tank meta has them run reliable debilitates anymore, you could easily replace it with Brawler from Hammers or Iron Maiden from outer wheel Blood and use a higher damage builder like The Business or whatever, really. The debilitate is fairly useful for soloing in tokyo since it drops mob dps so heavily, if you're using this to solo you can swap buffs for aoe finishers (and/or an aoe builder too). Above the law is filler, i couldn't think of anything really urgent for the build to have besides what it had there already. I'm assuming you already know how to do Elemental Force builder/finisher rotations, so i think that's just about everything.
http://www.drakkashi.com/secretworld/wheel.php?55=0&48=2&56=2&73=6&49=3&57=3&57=1&41=2&2=1&49=4&57=4&67=2&55=3&59=6

Now, if you wanna do something ridiculous and stupid but fun, you can run hammer/shotgun blastbuild. You're gonna be in melee the entire time and making GBS threads aoes all over your front so make sure you pay attention to your character facing but it's pretty fun to run around making shotgun noises and exploding into flames every so often. You can pretty safely use basically any elite on that because it's really only for soloing, so if you're taking too much damage pop on Cool Calm and Collected and you should be fine.

http://www.drakkashi.com/secretworld/wheel.php?50=0&49=5&12=2&48=6&14=5&11=3&14=1&41=2&2=1&50=5&49=0&54=2&12=3&59=6

flea
Oct 8, 2000

Len posted:

Skill point sinks at least. And they're giving us a teleporter...to Tokyo.

:negative:

I'm glad for the SP sink, I maxed out recently and hate seeing them wasted. But the Tokyo teleporter? Do they not know about the /reset "exploit"? Everywhere in the game is accessable within a 1-2 minute walk at most. For a company whose man hours are oh so precious, what the gently caress Joel??

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

flea posted:

I'm glad for the SP sink, I maxed out recently and hate seeing them wasted. But the Tokyo teleporter? Do they not know about the /reset "exploit"? Everywhere in the game is accessable within a 1-2 minute walk at most. For a company whose man hours are oh so precious, what the gently caress Joel??

Eh, it's just a teleport. It'd take very little time to put in, unless they go crazy with the use animation.

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost
Investigation missions leave me shaking my head and cursing Funcom's name. They are a nice change of pace from "go here and kill that" and are really rewarding when I figure it out, but some of the mechanics they use are just so out of the box that I can't even imagine trying it. Like expecting me to dial a UK telephone number, listen to it enough times to identify the tone, then play it back on shopping carts and plastic containers. Some of the poo poo they do doesn't seem logical at all and feels totally random, which defeats the purpose of me trying to think these out in the first place.

... Or I'm just dumb.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Saman posted:

slapped together in a minute or so, in NM settings shotgun is usually the buffer for the team so they grab pistol or, depending on other dps in the group's builds, elementalism for short fuse. Gives up a passive for Debilitate because i don't think the tank meta has them run reliable debilitates anymore, you could easily replace it with Brawler from Hammers or Iron Maiden from outer wheel Blood and use a higher damage builder like The Business or whatever, really. The debilitate is fairly useful for soloing in tokyo since it drops mob dps so heavily, if you're using this to solo you can swap buffs for aoe finishers (and/or an aoe builder too). Above the law is filler, i couldn't think of anything really urgent for the build to have besides what it had there already. I'm assuming you already know how to do Elemental Force builder/finisher rotations, so i think that's just about everything.
http://www.drakkashi.com/secretworld/wheel.php?55=0&48=2&56=2&73=6&49=3&57=3&57=1&41=2&2=1&49=4&57=4&67=2&55=3&59=6

Now, if you wanna do something ridiculous and stupid but fun, you can run hammer/shotgun blastbuild. You're gonna be in melee the entire time and making GBS threads aoes all over your front so make sure you pay attention to your character facing but it's pretty fun to run around making shotgun noises and exploding into flames every so often. You can pretty safely use basically any elite on that because it's really only for soloing, so if you're taking too much damage pop on Cool Calm and Collected and you should be fine.

http://www.drakkashi.com/secretworld/wheel.php?50=0&49=5&12=2&48=6&14=5&11=3&14=1&41=2&2=1&50=5&49=0&54=2&12=3&59=6

Thanks, these look fun. I will try them out.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I think the teleport is handy, I am glad they added it.

blainestereo
Jan 16, 2013

I kinda lost interest in the game after the text adventure mission pack. Is it worth coming back now/soon?

More specifically,

Is Tokyo fun?
How big a zone is it, compared to I dunno Transylvania?
Is AEGIS poo poo?
Anything other happening/will happen soon with the game?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

blainestereo posted:

I kinda lost interest in the game after the text adventure mission pack. Is it worth coming back now/soon?

More specifically,

Is Tokyo fun?
How big a zone is it, compared to I dunno Transylvania?
Is AEGIS poo poo?
Anything other happening/will happen soon with the game?

The story missions in Tokyo are excellent. And if you're into Japan stuff, you'll probably enjoy it even more.

Not sure about the size (it seems smaller than Transylvania, but I could be completely off), but issue 9's Tokyo is only the first of several Tokyo zones. The next one will be opening up with issue 10.

AEGIS is a huuuge pain in the rear end at first. And then for a while afterwards. But if you pay attention to it and make a point of buying AEGIS capacitors from the auction house ASAP, it becomes much more manageable.

Confession: I haven't done "Tower Defence" all three times yet, and there's one mission in the stories pack that I also haven't gotten to. :shobon:

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

Wait /reset is an exploit? I always thought it was a feature... In one of the early mission you had to die to explore a jail cell and follow a raven. I thought it was there to teach you about the /reset command.

Kettlepip
Jun 23, 2009

I'm a bit confused by the dungeon progression in this game as I got some conflicting advice in chat. I'm in Transylvania and have stumbled across the entrance to the Facility, which is apparently an Elite only dungeon. Does this mean I should go back and earn my chops in the Elite version of earlier dungeons that I've already done or should I jump straight into the Facility as I'm questing there anyway? Seems a bit odd to put a dungeon related to the content I'm doing on hold, so I can go back and do a bunch of previous ones first.

I'm really enjoying the game, particularly the investigation missions. Hell knows how anyone gets through all of them without the occasional assistance from Google, cos I know I couldn't. It would be nice to not feel like I'm the only player on the server though.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
There's a difference in difficulty because the Transylvania elites often have new/harder mechanics while the elite versions of levelling dungeons mostly just use the old ("beginner") mechanics with bigger numbers. Generally they're all tuned for QL10 and build- and group quality and your ability to stay out of exploding things matters more than pure gear. Also Slaughterhouse elite has an overtuned boss that regularly breaks PUGs and no amount of running the previous elites is going to fix that.

Basically if you want to run a new dungeon, Facility is fine (also Facility is the best dungeon in game :colbert:). If you want to collect QL10 blues, Facility is also fine but running Polaris elite eg. is faster and safer for that same purpose.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Kettlepip posted:

I'm a bit confused by the dungeon progression in this game as I got some conflicting advice in chat. I'm in Transylvania and have stumbled across the entrance to the Facility, which is apparently an Elite only dungeon. Does this mean I should go back and earn my chops in the Elite version of earlier dungeons that I've already done or should I jump straight into the Facility as I'm questing there anyway? Seems a bit odd to put a dungeon related to the content I'm doing on hold, so I can go back and do a bunch of previous ones first.

I'm really enjoying the game, particularly the investigation missions. Hell knows how anyone gets through all of them without the occasional assistance from Google, cos I know I couldn't. It would be nice to not feel like I'm the only player on the server though.

There is no "normal" version of the Facility because you are supposed to already be in your QL 10 gear, so go for it, except you will need to pay more attention or read about it beforehand.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Absolutely don't do that. The reading up on it part, that is.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

Baby's First Facility is an exciting ride of dying to unintuitive mechanics, dying to unintuitive mechanics and getting stuck in the floor, and dying to intuitive but unexpected mechanics and watching your party either beat the boss without you or hurl invectives at you when they inevitably lose.

Or a mixture of both.

Frankenstein Dad
Jul 4, 2008

Dad of Frankenstein
But it's cool as heck. Fantastic voice acting, too.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Brain In A Jar posted:

Baby's First Facility is an exciting ride of dying to unintuitive mechanics, dying to unintuitive mechanics and getting stuck in the floor, and dying to intuitive but unexpected mechanics and watching your party either beat the boss without you or hurl invectives at you when they inevitably lose.

Or a mixture of both.

This sums up my first run of Facility. We had two newbies in the group, me and some other dude. After many exciting deaths, we reached the last boss.

Everyone else died but me and the newbie, who proceeded to stand too close to the dark side yelling "HELP I CANT SEE WTF" as I ran around trying to figure out what the gently caress.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I don't recall Elite Facility being that nuts. Nightmare Facility, yes, strong contender for worst dungeon (mechanics-wise) in the game, but not Elite. I would say definitely don't look up anything because you'll ruin the experience for yourself. The mechanics are mostly reasonably clear -- you might die, but you'll understand why.

Frankenstein Dad
Jul 4, 2008

Dad of Frankenstein
As tricky as Facility can be, I'm pretty sure nothing quite matches Nightmare Hell Fallen in terms of obtuse mechanics and questionable design decisions.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Frankenstein Dad posted:

As tricky as Facility can be, I'm pretty sure nothing quite matches Nightmare Hell Fallen in terms of obtuse mechanics and questionable design decisions.

I'm still amazed that we were able to clear that post exploits without any meltdowns.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

GEMorris posted:

I'm still amazed that we were able to clear that post exploits without any meltdowns.

I think that cost me 150K moneys the last time I went through it. I'm going to do elites for a while, just to build up some cash.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

I actually have mechanics questions about HE:

1) Exactly what does the rabbit do for the Lustrehunter fight?
2) Exactly what does the guy walking the dogs do for the Flagellatrix Superior fight?

Allatum
Feb 20, 2008

Pillbug

Kessel posted:

2) Exactly what does the guy walking the dogs do for the Flagellatrix Superior fight?

I'm not sure about the first one but the second just involves running around to insure you've got aggro of all three dogs, then you just go in circles at the back of the area while the rest of the group fights the lady. They're slow enough that you might have to pause now and then to make sure their path doesn't turn about and sandwich you between two of them.

edit: also you want to make sure you keep sprint on the whole time.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Kessel posted:

You know what I love? I love it when you fire off Thor's Hammer and Lustrehunter turns on his damage reflector in the two seconds it takes for the stupid spell to finish casting. :argh:

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Kessel posted:

1. I'm assuming by "rabbit" you mean the player running the maze? Note that this only matters on NM because on Elite you can just chase him around and you don't need a "rabbit." Anyway, after he takes enough damage, Lustrehunter will run through the maze, stopping at predetermined points, and channeling an increasing buff that makes him stronger. He will do this forever, until a player has line of sight on him, so the rabbit runs just ahead of each stopping point to interrupt the channel. It's been a while, but IIRC you don't have to shoot him, just see him.

Some notes:

- You run ahead of him, not in front or directly to him, because for a little while after his channel is interrupted he will have an AOE death zone around him that will all but one-shot you. So you need to be past him, because otherwise when he runs past you he will kill you. If you gently caress up, you can sometimes sneak by with a well-executed rocket jump, but this will break Sprint, so be careful and try to avoid it.

- Where he stops is dependent on how much HP he has left. It is possible for the group to burn him so hard that he will skip the "next" point and go to the one after. Don't get complacent, in case you have to move. (It is also possible to burn him so hard at the beginning that his script breaks and he bugs out and kills you all with his AOE, never getting to his first breakpoint, so be careful, DPS.)

- The actual path to take through the maze is very hard to describe in text. It's best to learn from someone else, in-game.

2. The basic job of the dog walker is to pick up aggro on the dogs and run around in such a way that the dogs never hit them. They will need to keep Sprint on to do this, although they may be able to buy a little while before dying if it gets dropped off. There are three... let's call them pillars, arranged in a triangle, two in front and one in back; the Flagellatrix starts in between the front two, in front of the back one, for reference. When I refer to pillars I will do so based on their locations as you enter. Generally the rabbit runs in to the front left corner of the front left pillar when it's clear, not aggroing the dogs or the Flagellatrix. From here explaining execution gets a little complicated.

Dog #1: You aggro nothing until the boss has been picked up by the tank; they should not do this until the dog that patrols around the left pillar has passed by again. Once the boss has been aggroed, you can Sprint out and piss off the dog by running into its field of vision. Don't hang around as these can kill you quickly.

Dog #2: Once the first dog is chasing you, run back around the corner and over to the rear plllar. This dog should be somewhere along the back face of it; if you can dally a bit before aggroing it, it'll be a little easier later, but it's not a big deal if you can't. Once it's picked up, run around the corner ahead immediately so the dogs don't kill you, which they will do if they can maintain line of sight for more than a little while -- they do not have to be next to you, they can shoot you.

Dog #3: As you round the corner the last dog should be along the back face of the front right pillar. Same deal: pick him up, round the corner.

Maintain: Your job now is just to not die. You do this the same way: don't let them keep seeing you. You'll spend the rest of the fight just running around the front right pillar, pausing briefly after each time you round a corner.

Some things to watch out for:

- If the dogs get too separated, one of them may decide the fastest path back to you is back the other way. Try not to freak out -- you might die if this happens, but often if you just keep running they won't shoot because ???.

- If the dogs get close to you (even if they can't see you, like if you're around the corner), they may do a slow (but large) circular AOE. This is easy to avoid, and can actually be handy, because they stand still to do it, so you can use them to get the dogs grouped together, which is the ideal -- say, maybe the front two AOE and the third, lagging behind, can catch up. When the dogs are all together you are at the lowest possible (not zero, but close) risk of one of the dogs doubling back the other way.

- When running, you are on the dogs' threat table, but at zero threat, and you are the only one. (Anything you could do that would generate threat would break Sprint, resulting in your death.) If anything happens that puts anyone else on the threat table, they will all die. This is not your fault and there is nothing you can do about it, but it is good to know in case someone fucks up and tries to blame you, or your group does it and can't figure out why it's happening.. The most common cause of this issue is a healer using Cold Blooded or Fired Up -- anything that generates AOE threat is a problem. If this happens they will be on the threat table above you and your group will wipe.

Being a dog walker is very boring, but being able to do it is handy, because often others can't or won't do it. Frankly the rest of this fight is pretty boring too.

Note that for both of these fights only a DPS player can fill these roles. The tank and healer need to stay with the other DPS.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

If you become a member, do you get your 1200 points right away?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
Looks like the new sidemissions are out!

• Locked thread