Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If you don't take it back, it means you don't love your father. Period.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
I've been following Apple and Apple announcement events for too long now, but I must say I haven't been so hyped up about an event since the iPhone announcement. A bunch of new iPhones, possibility of an iWatch?!?

http://www.apple.com/live/ - Commence the countdown hype!

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

pzy posted:

I've been following Apple and Apple announcement events for too long now, but I must say I haven't been so hyped up about an event since the iPhone announcement. A bunch of new iPhones, possibility of an iWatch?!?

http://www.apple.com/live/ - Commence the countdown hype!

Side-by-side multitasking on iPad, calling it now. Maybe multiple users, too. But this is the wrong thread for this.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
How long before the event date will there be a glorious hype train discussion thread?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

pzy posted:

How long before the event date will there be a glorious hype train discussion thread?
It's an iPhone event, so it'll be in IYG on Monday or something.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
I must have been looking at the non-retina listing on the hardware buyers guide or something. I didn't realize the Macbook Pros got refreshed over the summer.
I can expense all or part of a new machine for work and here I was waiting for the apple announcement before I started looking.

I'm not too crazy about the pricing and options for 15 inch models to replace my 2011 15". Is the iris pro stuff any decent for gaming? I might end up getting a cheaper model for work, adding an external monitor and setting up a PC workstation just for playing games. Meh.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
Iris Pro is superior to what I have in my Hackintosh build (Core i5 3570k; HD 4000) and when I've accidentally run games on the screen with integrated, at least Diablo 3 runs full speed.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Choadmaster posted:

Side-by-side multitasking on iPad, calling it now. Maybe multiple users, too. But this is the wrong thread for this.

Good lord, I was just talking with my wife about multiple users on the iPad. How do they not have this already!?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Falco posted:

How do they not have this already!?
Because this way they sell more iPads. But yeah, go to the iPad thread.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

iPad multitasking? Please no I couldn't possibly imagine this thing crashing even more with out of memory errors. iOS is just getting aggressively worse.

On the mac front what's considered a "bad" battery? Like what % of design capacity in coconut battery would be like man this is lovely when shopping used MBPs?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Would it be heresy to say that I'm kind of disappointed with Iris graphics performance on my 13" MBP? I know this is the 10.10 beta so I'm holding out hope that it gets mad optimization, but even before I installed 10.10 I noticed that some UI elements were a little laggy in 10.9.4.

I think the Iris may just not be enough to drive that high resolution screen in some respects. It hasn't really diminished my enjoyment of the rMBP that much, but I can't say I don't sigh a little when I see UI lag when I shift fullscreen spaces, or laggy UI animations on a machine I paid $1700 for :(

Again, I realize I'm complaining about a beta OS' handling of hardware and I'll galdly take it back if 10.10.0 GM is buttery smooth or something, but I'm reading a lot of similar sentiments from other rMBP users, not all of whom are running 10.10

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Are you using the default resolution?

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
Even rmbp's with the high performance GPU only use it in certain scenarios, the majority of the time they use integrated graphics. It's unlikely Iris is slower than the prior generation iGPUs so what you're seeing is either an effect of the beta OS or is what everyone has experienced since the rmbp (or that feature) was introduced.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Martytoof posted:

I think the Iris may just not be enough to drive that high resolution screen in some respects. It hasn't really diminished my enjoyment of the rMBP that much, but I can't say I don't sigh a little when I see UI lag when I shift fullscreen spaces, or laggy UI animations on a machine I paid $1700 for :(

One of the things Intel's integrated video is good at is shifting down to extremely low clock speeds and voltages to save power while idle. Iris Pro's minimum clock frequency is really low, something like 100-200 MHz.

Unfortunately, from some things I've heard it's not great at shifting to full performance mode as quickly as one might like. That's okay for gaming since it doesn't matter if there's 1/10th of a second of low performance right when you start up the game, but for general GUI acceleration the pattern is lots of idle with short activity bursts. You end up with little animation hitches at the start of actions like shifting spaces.

This is particularly annoying because Intel got rapid wake up to full performance so very right on the CPU side of their modern chips.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

fleshweasel posted:

Are you using the default resolution?

I'm using the "looks like ???x1050" scaling which as I understand it is the same resolution but with the UI elements scaled. I don't know whether that results in more work for the card or not since it has to push those pixels anyway, but I'm not really a pro at this.

BobHoward posted:

One of the things Intel's integrated video is good at is shifting down to extremely low clock speeds and voltages to save power while idle. Iris Pro's minimum clock frequency is really low, something like 100-200 MHz.

Unfortunately, from some things I've heard it's not great at shifting to full performance mode as quickly as one might like. That's okay for gaming since it doesn't matter if there's 1/10th of a second of low performance right when you start up the game, but for general GUI acceleration the pattern is lots of idle with short activity bursts. You end up with little animation hitches at the start of actions like shifting spaces.

This is particularly annoying because Intel got rapid wake up to full performance so very right on the CPU side of their modern chips.

I'd be fine with it if it was just sluggish on battery, maybe letting me force the card to stay a little more active when the laptop is on mains.

Again, it's not really a huge problem or anything, just something I'll probably gripe about every now and then. Especially if/when they fix it in hardware in subsequent releases.

Ninja Rope posted:

Even rmbp's with the high performance GPU only use it in certain scenarios, the majority of the time they use integrated graphics. It's unlikely Iris is slower than the prior generation iGPUs so what you're seeing is either an effect of the beta OS or is what everyone has experienced since the rmbp (or that feature) was introduced.

Judging by what I'm reading on certain forums, it seems to be the latter. But then again there are people who don't really notice it or just don't notice it enough to post about it.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Sep 5, 2014

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Running on Iris, spamming all sorts of fancy animation-creating effects, absolutely no slowdowns here. Took out power adapter so computer's in battery mode, same thing.

Never had an issue with desktop compositing on integrated graphics even with the mid-2011 MBP 17". It's really loving simple...

Dunno what to tell ya

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
"Looks like 1680x1050" means it renders double that and scales it down, if I remember right. Rendering 1680x1050 and scaling it up wouldn't look as good.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah, that makes sense. I may try running it in normal "best for retina" mode and scaling my fonts down or something. I'm reinstalling 10.9.4 right now so maybe that'll give me some relief until they optimize 10.10 (if that's in the cards).. If it still sucks after Yos is out then I may take it in to the Apple store but I suspect they'll just be all "welp, run it in native mode you dum dum, that's why it says *best* for retina".

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Martytoof posted:

Yeah, that makes sense. I may try running it in normal "best for retina" mode and scaling my fonts down or something. I'm reinstalling 10.9.4 right now so maybe that'll give me some relief until they optimize 10.10 (if that's in the cards).. If it still sucks after Yos is out then I may take it in to the Apple store but I suspect they'll just be all "welp, run it in native mode you dum dum, that's why it says *best* for retina".
Also remember that the Iris chip in your 13" isn't an Iris Pro, it's an Iris 5100 (which is a slightly overclocked version of the thing that's in the MacBook Air, albeit one with more thermal headroom). It is quite a bit better than the chip that's in most of the ultrabooks on the market (4200/4400/4600) but it's still considerably less powerful than the integrated chip in the 15" rMBP.

Might be irrelevant to you and I don't know if this is still the case but I remember when rMBPs came out they used to lag horribly if you had a stack folder on the dock (like Applications) with the contents showing through Display As: Stack (since it was drawing them all on top of each other) and did anything that used the GPU to draw things on the screen. Might be something to check.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
I honestly wish that they'd just scale down the UI elements a little for the "best for retina" setting. It makes it feel like a real step backward from using 1920x1080 on my other 15" laptop.

Overall though, I'm running the 1680x1050 look-alike on my rMBP 15 with no real complaints with how it looks or performs.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
I've run max scaled mode since I got an rmbp in 2012 and it's never been a problem. Occasionally when doing the 4 finger upwards swipe it's a little laggy when I have a lot of windows on screen but then I click on the one I want and go about my business.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.
So I got a 15" rMBP with 16 gigs of ram and a 500m SSD, from the refurbished store, I'm quite happy with it so far.

I loaded Parallels, Windows 8.1, and Microsoft Office, as my primary purpose for this machine is Outlook, Word, and Excel as well as future travel entertainment (netflix/amazon prime etc..)

Are there any apps I should look into getting or other programs? This is the first Mac I've ever owned so.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

pseudanonymous posted:

So I got a 15" rMBP with 16 gigs of ram and a 500m SSD, from the refurbished store, I'm quite happy with it so far.

I loaded Parallels, Windows 8.1, and Microsoft Office, as my primary purpose for this machine is Outlook, Word, and Excel as well as future travel entertainment (netflix/amazon prime etc..)

Are there any apps I should look into getting or other programs? This is the first Mac I've ever owned so.

Running Parallels (or VMWare) all the time will reduce battery life. You can't use Pages or the OSX or online version of office?

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Mercurius posted:

Also remember that the Iris chip in your 13" isn't an Iris Pro, it's an Iris 5100 (which is a slightly overclocked version of the thing that's in the MacBook Air, albeit one with more thermal headroom). It is quite a bit better than the chip that's in most of the ultrabooks on the market (4200/4400/4600) but it's still considerably less powerful than the integrated chip in the 15" rMBP.

Interestingly enough, all three have the same amount of GPU compute units, and are all capable of almost the same peak frequencies. The improvement from 5000 (Air) to 5100 (rMBP 13") is, as you say, thermal headroom. 5100 to 5200 (rMBP 15") is memory bandwidth -- the 5200 has a giant L4 cache which provides a lot of it.

For desktop compositing, I'm not sure whether compute power or memory bandwidth dominates. If it's compute, the 5100 is pretty much on an even footing with the 5200.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

pseudanonymous posted:

Lots of apps! But hard to suggest what exactly cause they might be specific use cases. Like if you're anal about window organization I like Moom, for IRC there's Textual, for dual pane browsing and remote file stuff I have ForkLift (...from some random software bundle I bought years ago). For archives that the OS can't handle there's The Unarchiver, for movies of various formats, MPlayer X (although there's some pay one that's supposedly much better). Lots of stuff.

To get more specific just use it for a bit and figure out if something is missing for your usage, then ask here and/or search around for solutions.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

pseudanonymous posted:

Try the Mac Software thread! :)

ndrake
Mar 29, 2002

You know, this is a damn fine cup of coffee.
I know this kind of question is difficult to answer - but I'm looking at a 15" retina; is 8 gb of RAM worth $300? The late 2013 base model with 8 gb is 1600, new 2014 with 16 gb is 1900. It seems like a hefty jump. I'm working on a 2011 13" air so either one is a big upgrade, and I do not have any intense (no video editing, gaming, VMs etc) requirements and just use my computer for web/office. Seems like I should just save my money and go with last year's model. Would the additional RAM have anything to do with the GUI lag being discussed a few posts above? I doubt it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

8 is fine.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

8 served me fine for years even doing video editing and VMs but the fact you can never upgrade means the question is "will I only ever need 8?" And no one can really answer that for you.

Personally I would be comfortable buying a laptop with 8 but having 16 is nice. 300 bucks nice...? Dunno. But you get a processor bump too.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

If you can show you're in post-sec or teach post-sec you can get like $200 off and a $100 gift card, which makes the more expensive model a lot more appealing.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
I really would want the Macbook Pro 15" with the NVIDIA built in, but even if I figure out a way to use someones education discount we are talking $2,538.00 after you add apple care on, plus there is going to be NJ tax (Though I could deduct all of this as a business expense later).

It's kinda annoying, but didn't all the 15" models have the dual video before (before retina)? Between that and the integrated parts you can't upgrade they are more expensive than the ones I bought in the past. I always got something really nice for around the $2000 mark before that if you specced out in PC form was still a pretty good deal. I'd end up spending the $100 gift card on fancy white cables.

ndrake
Mar 29, 2002

You know, this is a damn fine cup of coffee.

Pivo posted:

If you can show you're in post-sec or teach post-sec you can get like $200 off and a $100 gift card, which makes the more expensive model a lot more appealing.

Thanks for the thoughts. Seems like 8 would suffice. I doubt I could tell the difference in processors from 2 to 2.2 ghz. I am faculty and do get the edu discount, but that still leaves the base 15" at 1899 (same price as bhphoto online), but I live in Chicago and so have to pay almost 10% sales tax if I buy from apple which far exceeds the value of the $100 gift card.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

ndrake posted:

Thanks for the thoughts. Seems like 8 would suffice. I doubt I could tell the difference in processors from 2 to 2.2 ghz. I am faculty and do get the edu discount, but that still leaves the base 15" at 1899 (same price as bhphoto online), but I live in Chicago and so have to pay almost 10% sales tax if I buy from apple which far exceeds the value of the $100 gift card.

drat, and I thought having to pay NJ's 7% was bad.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Trip report back from 10.9.4: The UI is definitely smoother than the 10.10 PB2 so part of it is definitely unoptimized code (or 10.10 is just that much heavier on graphics, what with the transparency, etc). If 10.10 works as well as 10.9.4 then I'll be happy. It's not SUPER snappy but I can definitely live with it, as opposed to what I was seeing in PB2

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I don't have a credit card; just a debit card. But I'm responsible enough to know that I need to save money to pay off a computer $200 a month so I'm thinking about doing the finance options to get a mac directly from Apple. Is that advisable or should I still just save my money and get one on Amazon or refurbished, ect.

I'm looking at a Macbook Pro so I can use it at work as well. I want to play games on it, so I want the processor and ram upgraded, there's monitors and keyboards and magicmouse and all that nonsense at work I can use just fine. The only big game I want running smoothly is League of Legends for the mac, and the default Macbook Pro meets all the minimum requirements.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Flameingblack posted:

I don't have a credit card; just a debit card. But I'm responsible enough to know that I need to save money to pay off a computer $200 a month so I'm thinking about doing the finance options to get a mac directly from Apple. Is that advisable or should I still just save my money and get one on Amazon or refurbished, ect.

I'm looking at a Macbook Pro so I can use it at work as well. I want to play games on it, so I want the processor and ram upgraded, there's monitors and keyboards and magicmouse and all that nonsense at work I can use just fine. The only big game I want running smoothly is League of Legends for the mac, and the default Macbook Pro meets all the minimum requirements.

Can you play games on a $150 Xbox? Can you make do with a $600 used 13" Air?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

JHVH-1 posted:

drat, and I thought having to pay NJ's 7% was bad.

Yo it's loving 13% in Ontario, quit your bitching.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

pzy posted:

Have fun, I guess.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Flameingblack posted:

I have pretty decent credit, and 2 credit cards I could buy a laptop with at this point but when I tried to sign up for Apple's Bank of America card they said I was approved and I got it and there wasn't enough credit to buy the drat laptop with it. So maybe its better just to save the money up and not go through the hassle. Though this was 3+ years ago so maybe you would have better luck, add a new line of credit and improve your credit score in the process. In that case if you are responsible enough or have automatic payments it could benefit you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatesfreedom
Feb 20, 2007

I make a profit of three and a quarter cents an egg by selling them for four and a quarter cents an egg to the people in Malta I buy them from for seven cents an egg. Of course, I don't make the profit. The syndicate makes the profit. And everybody has a share.

Flameingblack posted:

I think if you if you need to finance a laptop you should get a cheaper laptop or just have work issue you one. Don't do finance for something like a high end laptop.