Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

Ineffiable posted:

The duchess approves.

Starring Sturly Stembleburgiss as the Duchess and Grampton St. Rumpterfrabble as the irascible coxswain Saunterblugget Hampterfuppinshire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Trash Boat posted:

Starring Sturly Stembleburgiss as the Duchess and Grampton St. Rumpterfrabble as the irascible coxswain Saunterblugget Hampterfuppinshire.

Can you imagine the narrator's face when he read this line for the first time?

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

paradoxGentleman posted:

Can you imagine the narrator's face when he read this line for the first time?
I imagine it was improv'd and they added the title card later.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Viewers who viewed this item also viewed: Hot Dog Cutter

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'm just wondering if they are selling a Disco Zombie T-Shirt yet.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
That was one of the few enjoyable zombie episodes I've seen.

BooDoug187
Apr 8, 2005

Don't you fear the yetis in Rio?
I'm still waiting for my Owl Trowels to show up before I buy t-shirts.

I mean, I got so many drat owls in my driveway...

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

:allears:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I only just today found out about the videogame Five Nights At Freddie's and this cartoon makes it all that much more incredible.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

So we can safely assume that dating sim girl is going to go all HAL 9000 on Soos, right?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Petiso posted:

So we can safely assume that dating sim girl is going to go all HAL 9000 on Soos, right?

I hope so, otherwise there's not going to be a lot of substance in that episode.
...unless that's a one-off gag and the focus of the episode is something else. :tinfoil:

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I can't wait to see the Gravity Falls 16 bit, 90s-as-gently caress take on a dating sim.

I wonder if it will take place on F's laptop?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Say Nothing posted:

I'm just wondering if they are selling a Disco Zombie T-Shirt yet.

Woo, party time with lovely gifs!

terrordactle
Sep 30, 2013
Pretty colors.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Gorilla Salad posted:

Woo, party time with lovely gifs!

Can I get one of these at the gift shop?!?

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.

counterfeitsaint posted:

I wonder if it will take place on F's laptop?

I cannot think of anything more Gravity Falls than Soos using the #1 piece of evidence for one of the top mysteries to date for this purpose, though I vaguely remember it being on his home PC from Fixin' It from the brief glimpse in the trailer.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

poo poo, it was alot more fluid in the video.

Oh yeah, next episode has Bill.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.
Prediction: He will make a deal with Bill he will sorely regret by the end of the season.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
But not until the season finale. Dipper will somehow screw Bill over in this upcoming episode to give himself overconfidence.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

don Jaime posted:

But not until the season finale. Dipper will somehow screw Bill over in this upcoming episode to give himself overconfidence.

This season definitely has a recurring theme of Dipper and Mabel getting overconfident in regards to the town's secrets.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

The next two episodes aren't until Sept. 12th and 19th.

Thanks for the spoilers guys.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Was the copier that made all the Dippers the kind that can also be used as a printer? If that's the case, I could see Soos at least trying to use it with his dating sim.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I'm looking at the preview image from Soos and the Real Girl again and I just noticed that the ribbon in the Dating Sim Girl's hair is a old PC ribbon cable. Perhaps she is actually a AI on the laptop?

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

MadScientistWorking posted:

m2pt5 posted:

Did anyone ever figure out what this matrix is? I know part of it is a rotational/translation matrix of a three dimensional vector but the other part of it I can't exactly figure out.

It's the projective transformation that relates a point in 3D space to the 2D coordinates of its projection onto a flat imaging plane using a pinhole camera model. Projective transformations are from projective geometry which most people already sort of know about intuitively, kind of; projective geometry is the math behind creating proper perspective in a drawing by using parallel convergance/vanishing points/horizon lines, but extended to arbitrary dimensions and described with formal rigor (meaning it's as inaccessible and boring to slog through as anything that's described with formal rigor). The show has time/interdimensional travel so if the creators wanted to "math those things up" with "impressive math equations" then projective geometry is a pretty ok choice for that I guess. This particular equation is important for computer vision stuff and people plug cameras into computers a lot giving it a pretty high profile compared to the rest of projective geometry, so if they're mathing up their time travel with any old projective geometry equation this one's a likely candidate.

As for what the equation is actually doing (you can skip the rest of this if you don't care): the first matrix, with all the R and T coefficients, is the extrinsic matrix for the camera. It describes the rotation and translation transformations to convert from the 3D world coordinate system to the 3D coordinate system as seen from the camera's point of view. By using augmented vectors/matrices the rotation and translation operations can be crammed into a single matrix operation; i.e. aside from their role in this mathematical convenience the bottom rows of everything can be ignored.

The second matrix with the sf coefficients is the camera's intrinsic matrix. This is what describes the actual projection through the pinhole onto the imaging surface. The sf coefficients are scale factors for the x and y axes. The s variables describe the linear density of imaging elements for each axis (i.e. pixels/mm for a digital camera) and f is the physical focal length of the camera (normally these are consolidated into a single term). The x0 and y0 coefficients represent any offset between the focal point of the camera and whatever the designated origin of the imaging plane's coordinate system is. The result is expressed in homogeneous coordinates so you have to divide through by h to get the true (x, y) position of the 3D point's projection onto the 2D image plane. What this means for cameras is that a particular pixel on the imager will record the first thing that a line starting at that pixel and going through the focal point runs into whether it's some beautiful scenery you want to get a picture of or your finger covering the lens.

Here and here are some links to longer explanations of this equation with diagrams and stuff if you're curious, but I really doubt they're going to make it a bigger part of the show than this. I only wrote these words because I already knew this stuff, got curious if it was important when the equation popped up twice, and saw that nobody else writing words about the show on the internet recognized the equation at all.

proof of concept fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Sep 2, 2014

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!

These are good :words:, I give these the Mystery Shack :words: seal of approval.

I don't have my hopes up too high that we'll get any puzzles involving mathematics of that complexity, but you never know! Personally I'm hoping for pieces of a puzzle that need to be skewed/rotated in 3D (think Contact) to be put together properly. Which sorta-kinda related to the :eng101: just explained!

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
The actual math of the pinhole model boils down to similar triangles, which is why it gets used. The problem is that pinholes don't admit much light so cameras and eyeballs use lenses to focus more light onto a larger area. Lenses create distortions which cause, for example, straight lines to bow outward from the center of the image (if you're looking for it on tv you can see this going on with the sidelines of soccer/football fields in wide shots). These need correcting which is not a one-simple-equation process. The upshot is that once you've mapped the distortions for a particular lens you can go back to the pinhole model to do the rest of your computing and geometering on its images using math from middle school.

Anyway, the one equation shown isn't really enough to be "math behind projecting people into a different time/dimension" or "the mysterious author was analyzing photographs he took with a film camera." Maybe the in-universe explanation for putting that equation in the journal is something like "the giant basement machine makes warp portals but they're singularities which are like 3D pinholes in spacetime so here is some math for peering through them and making sense of what you see without actually going through them." Even that might be a bit of a stretch. My guess is still that it's there purely for flavor. Again, they probably won't do much more with it since getting mathy and physicsy is a lot of work, won't get across to many viewers, and sets limits on what they can do in their own world.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
How come everyone in this loving thread knows what an episode will be about months before it airs and then produces a wall of spoilers a week before premiere

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

How come everyone in this loving thread knows what an episode will be about months before it airs and then produces a wall of spoilers a week before premiere

I found the dates for the next two episodes on the Gravity Falls Wiki. Also This Youtube channel posts anything it can find about Gravity Falls, including teasers.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

OnDemand often has the episode available ahead of time.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Tomero_the_Great posted:

The next two episodes aren't until Sept. 12th and 19th.

Thanks for the spoilers guys.

What the gently caress are you idiots talking about? The teasers that has been airing on Disney channels for weeks, or the fan art about the video game that has nothing to do with the upcoming episodes?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They made Gravity Falls costumes.

http://www.disguise.com/productinfo.asp?item=8337&dc=2668

I mean, a kid is better off grabbing a blue vest from Goodwill and spending the 20 bucks on a hat. As a kid, I hated name tags. I don't know why you need them. I mean, do they help? And Mabel's turd hair. Heh.

But I do like the gnome mask. Might make for a cool thing to hang on a wall.

Although, it looks rather klanish with the eyes poking out. :stonk:

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
At least the Grunkle Stan fezzes are out now, which takes out 90% of the effort in making that costume.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

kefkafloyd posted:

At least the Grunkle Stan fezzes are out now, which takes out 90% of the effort in making that costume.

I accidentally went into Hot Topic the other day and saw them. Had to resist (ah, me and fezzes), but they're pretty good quality.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Holy poo poo that Mabel wig is horrible. It looks like giant dog ears. :barf:

Gotta capitalize on SummerwHalloween coming up, I guess.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

The_Doctor posted:

I accidentally went into Hot Topic the other day and saw them. Had to resist (ah, me and fezzes), but they're pretty good quality.

I want to hear the story behind "accidentally" walking into a hot topic.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Suspicious Dish posted:

I want to hear the story behind "accidentally" walking into a hot topic.

They had a large table of Doctor Who merch right by the front door and a big 'SALE' sign. And then the sales guy was very hot so I chatted to him for a bit.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

CelticPredator posted:

Although, it looks rather klanish with the eyes poking out. :stonk:

Wow did no one seriously think "KKK" at any point when designing the eye holes on this thing? :lol:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Oh my God...I just noticed that.

Wow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rassle
Dec 4, 2011

Funny, all I saw were eyebrows.

• Locked thread