Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
I sold my Nexus 5 for an iPhone 5s a few months back because I couldn't stand huge phones anymore. Now the more I read about the new Moto X the more I want it even though it's even bigger than the Nexus 5. Something is wrong with me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

the kawaiiest posted:

This is why you should always use grip tape.

It was in my jacket pocket and was crushed by the weight of my goony body slamming into the pavement at 55MPH, actually.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Radbot posted:

It was in my jacket pocket and was crushed by the weight of my goony body slamming into the pavement at 55MPH, actually.

Did I miss where Motorola announced a new feature where you can operate the phone with with a blow tube mounted on your electric wheel chair?

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Santas Ainol Elf posted:

Good to know that this device built specifically for relaying notifications has good battery life if you turn off notifications and also don't use it much.

If you're using your watch like a smartphone (while also using your smartphone like a smartphone) you have a problem that's not related to the watch's battery life. Obviously if you're testing the smartwatch for the very first time for review purposes, you're using it way differently than how the average person is going to use it. Also, i don't think i need every single Google+ update, android phone app update, and new song on my soundcloud stream update coming to my watch.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Mister Fister posted:

If you're using your watch like a smartphone (while also using your smartphone like a smartphone) you have a problem that's not related to the watch's battery life. Obviously if you're testing the smartwatch for the very first time for review purposes, you're using it way differently than how the average person is going to use it. Also, i don't think i need every single Google+ update, android phone app update, and new song on my soundcloud stream update coming to my watch.

I really want a future where via my watch every store I walk past can beam me an ad and a coupon.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

I wanna see some drop tests on the new Moto X. Bigger but with only like 6 extra grams with a metal frame may mean it can take some abuse.

I was turned off by the bigger size but the Moto customizations are just super useful. The original X quickly became my favorite phone ever despite the slow camera thanks to the customizations, and the new enhancements seem like great advancements there. I just want it to respond with the TNG computer acknowledgment chime when I talk to it.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Wow that new Moto X looks loving wonderful.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)
The 2300 Mah battery on the new moto x is worrying. They must have done an insane job optimizing the software if that battery isn't an issue.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

api call girl posted:

Wow that new Moto X looks loving wonderful.

Yeah, but no Qi charging...I've grown to love that on my N5. Also a bootloader unlocked model? What? A manufacturer taking a consumer friendly approach? Well I never...

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Mister Fister posted:

Also, i don't think i need every single Google+ update, android phone app update, and new song on my soundcloud stream update coming to my watch.

Why not? That is kinda the point, you can see all this poo poo your phone tells you without having to pull it out. It's meant to make it more convenient to do all those things. People might be playing with them a lot at first too, but how much can they actually do? Surely if you're using it 'like a smartphone' there comes a point - pretty drat quickly - where you'd just get your phone out instead of poking at a tiny screen on your wrist to read some news articles or whatever

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

Mister Fister posted:

Maybe, but you seem to think that the 'average person' is someone who isn't going to use a smartwatch very often, which is wrong because an 'average person' isn't going to buy a smartwatch (in the near future at least). The hobbyists and 'power users' are the ones lining up for this, and they're going to be very disappointed.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Mister Fister posted:

Re Moto 360: 12 hours of battery life is only because reporters had every single notification sent to the watch and they were playing with the watch the whole day long. That's far from typical use.

The 12 hours makes me nervous, but I'm wondering how much usage exactly these are getting throughout the 12 hours. But regardless the original Galaxy Gear, which many people disliked for its battery life, actually got more than 24 hours.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Has there been any word on the new Moto X's camera or expected battery life?

It looks pretty wonderful regardless, though.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

Santas Ainol Elf posted:

Maybe, but you seem to think that the 'average person' is someone who isn't going to use a smartwatch very often, which is wrong because an 'average person' isn't going to buy a smartwatch (in the near future at least). The hobbyists and 'power users' are the ones lining up for this, and they're going to be very disappointed.

I could say any of my phones only get 5-6 hours of battery life if i use it nonstop as soon as i wake up. I don't think hobbyists would even use the smartwatch daily like someone reviewing the watch for the first time would.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

There no way I'm going to want the majority of my notifications to show up on my watch.

New texts, hangouts, caller ID, Google Now. That's it.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

baka kaba posted:

Why not? That is kinda the point, you can see all this poo poo your phone tells you without having to pull it out. It's meant to make it more convenient to do all those things. People might be playing with them a lot at first too, but how much can they actually do? Surely if you're using it 'like a smartphone' there comes a point - pretty drat quickly - where you'd just get your phone out instead of poking at a tiny screen on your wrist to read some news articles or whatever

At least to me, there are so many ridiculous notifications that I would find it annoying for my watch to notify me every single time something pops up on my phone, i even ignore a ton of notifications on my phone.

Thermopyle posted:

There no way I'm going to want the majority of my notifications to show up on my watch.

New texts, hangouts, caller ID, Google Now. That's it.

loving exactly. I might want a couple more than you, but having your smartwatch light up every time your phone farts something out would drive me batshit crazy.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Ars will have an in depth review of the 360 up on Sunday. By then we'll hopefully get a better picture of battery life.

AFAIK, everyone just got their review units yesterday. I want to see how the thing settles down after a few days of use.

One nice thing, the 360 uses 22mm standard bands. So, you should be able to use whatever you want provided it isn't too thick for the curved slot for the band.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Sep 5, 2014

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Also, take the 360 talk to the wearables thread.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I'll probably get the new Moto X if the rumors are true that the on-contract price will start at $100...which I'm guessing means getting the 32GB with a wood or leather back would be $150-$175.

But the Sony Z3 is still tempting...is that going to be the standard $200 on-contract? If I was staying on GoPhone, I'd get the Moto X in a heartbeat because of the cheaper price, but I'm hoping on my girlfriend's AT&T family plan for cheaper monthly rates, so I'll get an upgrade when I join.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Thermopyle posted:

Also, take the 360 talk to the wearables thread.

Mannnn what a buzzkill. :cripes:

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Is it possible that the lack of wireless charging is be a use of the custom back options?

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

Santas Ainol Elf posted:

Good to know that this device built specifically for relaying notifications has good battery life if you turn off notifications and also don't use it much.

I na typical day I get maybe 10 emails and about 10 text messages. I don't really expect to be touching my watch other than to check the time. There is no reason I shouldn't be able to get days use out of it.

I am gonna hold out for the LG G R watch before I buy.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Just to squeeze in another wearables comment, enabling every notification on my Pebble was a disaster. You really don't want more than 2 or 3 important apps, otherwise it's a vibrating mess.

Back on topic, does anyone know if any new software enhancements on the Moto X 2014 are going to make it to the Moto X 2013? I'm really hoping there's a sale on the 2013 models and I can get 80% of the functionality for 50% the cost.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)
Quite a bit disappointed that there's no wireless charging with the new Moto X either. Going to wait for the new Nexus.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
As someone with an S3 right now, the new X looks awesome. Pretty much the same size, customizable, good specs. Never used wireless charging so not going to miss it. At only $100 definitely going to grab that as soon as I can.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Lowen SoDium posted:

Is it possible that the lack of wireless charging is be a use of the custom back options?

It's hard to say.

It could also possibly be due to the curve of the back. Doesn't the X use a non-square battery? I thought it was a stepped battery to make better use out of the curved space. That could potentially interfere with a coil fitment.

It could also just be because they are building to a price point.

Turbo charger is neat though. I just wonder what long term effect it has on battery health charging that fast.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

My guess is that if you don't mind ebay/craiglist, you'll pocket 100-200 by burning your upgrade on an iPhone, selling it, and buying a new X outright.

I haven't done the math on that and I'm unclear how that works with AT&T Next, but I'm sure someone else has figured it out.

bull3964 posted:

This is what I was thinking. Isn't the new X supposed to be 500 dollars? That's a decent amount cheaper than other flagships at their release.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Thermopyle posted:

My guess is that if you don't mind ebay/craiglist, you'll pocket 100-200 by burning your upgrade on an iPhone, selling it, and buying a new X outright.

I haven't done the math on that and I'm unclear how that works with AT&T Next, but I'm sure someone else has figured it out.

This is what I was thinking. Isn't the new X supposed to be 500 dollars? That's a decent amount cheaper than other flagships at their release.

But you'll be paying $15 or so more a month for the privilege for 2 years.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

TraderStav posted:

But you'll be paying $15 or so more a month for the privilege for 2 years.

Yeah, my NEXT plan (with a BYOD phone purchased without burning an upgrade) is $15/month per line. If used an upgrade to buy an iPhone, it's another $25/month. I'm not sure if that $25 a month is the cost of the iPhone broken up or what, since their plans make no sense now.

I do know that using an upgrade to flip a phone isn't really feasible any more, but is save so much per month I come out way ahead with out doing that any more.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Thermopyle posted:

Yes, the SGS5 is $100 more full price for the same hardware specs (same holds true for contract price.)

Ditto for the LG G3 except for the screen resolution.

It really is an attractive package for the price. It meets the current flagships at a cheaper cost with less bloat/more useful features.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

bull3964 posted:

It's hard to say.

It could also possibly be due to the curve of the back. Doesn't the X use a non-square battery? I thought it was a stepped battery to make better use out of the curved space. That could potentially interfere with a coil fitment.

Turbo charger is neat though. I just wonder what long term effect it has on battery health charging that fast.

I'm going to wait for the new Nexus and them make a choice. I'm really happy with my Nexus5, so I may not upgrade for a bit. I'm more interested in the 4:3 Nexus tablet that is supposed to come out. I can't buy both the new phone, new tablet, and 360 this year, so I'll wait until all four are out and then decide.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Yeah, my NEXT plan (with a BYOD phone purchased without burning an upgrade) is $15/month per line. If used an upgrade to buy an iPhone, it's another $25/month. I'm not sure if that $25 a month is the cost of the iPhone broken up or what, since their plans make no sense now.

I do know that using an upgrade to flip a phone isn't really feasible any more, but is save so much per month I come out way ahead with out doing that any more.

They just took out the arbitrage opportunity. If you want a new phone, you have to pay up, either through buying it outright or paying more per month.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I also wonder if they tried taking a principled stand on pushing back against various lovely carrier's demands for certain charging standards (because those carriers have business investments in the company that licenses the standard).

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Jerk McJerkface posted:

If you're using a NEXT line to flip a phone, you aren't going to make any money since you're going to pay for the full price of the device but just over 24 months or so. Buying a device may be cheaper than $25 or it may be more expensive depending on the phone you buy. If you pick the NEXT 18 plan it splits the payments over 24 months, so whatever the full price is factor that over 24 months with the tax up front.

Flipping phones ONLY worked when/if you are still on the old plans that don't discount the line and provide no contract terms.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLEF-Rq39D4
:eyepop:

The Monarch
Jul 8, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

16gb only single carrier exclusive in Canada, which of course has no access to an unlocked version.

Same as the last one, but this time it's the carrier nobody seems to use.

Er so wait the new X won't be available (in Canada) directly from Motorola unlocked ?

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
Re: wearables & notifications. So Google added notification priorities. Being able to define which priorities hit your wearable is a realistic future change, along with Google pushing app developers to start making use of priority levels as a result.

The difficulty with the notification overload problem is striking the balance between simplicity and user control. It's always better to make something both simple (to understand, to explain) AND uncomplicated. If you're the Twitter app dev, it's easy to define and understand a concept of "well fine, we'll let users define a default notification priority and then allow them to change specific users' notification priorities, just like ringtones". But then you add in a user's entire suite of apps, and a simple concept because incredibly complicated to logistically mess with under average user circumstances. Rands touches on this problem more eloquently than me, albeit in regards to iOS.

I used to have a custom ringtone for a dozen Gmail labels, a different message tone for a handful of people I talk to a lot, ringtones for calls from family & friends, etc. I got loving sick of dealing with setting it all back up after a wipe, so now I just have one ringtone for every call, another for every notification, and that's it. I expect the same type of burnout to hit me if I ever get control over defining what type of notification hits my wearable.

I expect the natural evolution here to be a combination of two things: 1) Gmail Priority Inbox-style notification prioritization at the OS level via an algorithm based upon user usage and other knowledge, and 2) Responsible App Devs. Circa is an extremely simple app where the curators decide when a news story is worthy of being notified to users, and I love it for how little I have to concern myself with any bullshit. I trust Circa's devs to only push to my phone poo poo that's appropriate. And if they gently caress it up, I'll just find a different news app.

Apple could also set a trend once they reveal their wearable and how it handles notifications.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

Pairing that with the trusted bluetooth profile would be pretty baller.

EDIT also I just had a thought that maybe project volta is going to be what will save the new Moto X's bacon when it comes to that smallish battery.

Turnquiet fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Sep 5, 2014

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Monarch posted:

Er so wait the new X won't be available (in Canada) directly from Motorola unlocked ?

Nope.

You cannot buy it from the US to ship to Canada either. You can't even buy it from the US to ship to a freight forwarding service or other kind of border mail holding service.

So you're looking at $500 (if that isn't boosted), plus $35 unlock from Telus, plus probably a month of service, and if that plus setup fees and all that dumb stuff that gets thrown on your first month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Exit Strategy posted:

As someone who owned a Jawbone Era and was pretty disappointed with the lack of Google Now integration, the Moto Hint is pretty much my thing.

3 hours of battery life but it comes with a handy battery powered mobile charger that you get to carry with you everywhere that will charge it. Twice.

• Locked thread