Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Wow looks like a great spot for hiking and camping, thanks Obama!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Elephant Ambush posted:

I will still never understand "unlawful assembly". Unless you're hurting people or barring access to a place I don't understand how peaceful sit-down protests are not protected by the 1st amendment. I'm gonna guess this is just subjective enforcement or something?

Well, in NYC, they were sitting in the middle of the street.

Ganon
May 24, 2003

SirFozzie posted:

This removes the fast-track to Supreme Court hopes that split Circuit Opinions would have provided.

Scotusblog says "the issue is pending in other lower courts, so a conflict remains a possibility" but doesn't say which ones or when they expect rulings.

Why were they able to file to many lawsuits in different districts challenging the same thing?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

ReindeerF posted:

My memory is hazy on this, but I swear that it was partially owned by George H.W. Bush and a number of other luminaries - maybe through Carlyle - and that it ended up being called Blue Mountain because the company was supposed to be, or had descended from something to do with the mining (coal?) industry.

I don't think that's true. Polis was profiled in Robert Frank's Richistan back before he ran for office and IIRC he came up with the name from something his parents had done. I think he (plus maybe his parents) had sole ownership when he sold it.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Shear Modulus posted:

I don't think that's true. Polis was profiled in Robert Frank's Richistan back before he ran for office and IIRC he came up with the name from something his parents had done. I think he (plus maybe his parents) had sole ownership when he sold it.
Alrighty - interesting. I know I've got that memory from some company. I'm trying to poke around and figure out what it was.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Joementum posted:

Anyway, here's a photo of Terrorburg, USA, Population: ISIS

As time goes on the more I'm sure Josh's translation of vox populi vox dei was correct in that west wing episode.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

I hate to be all "gently caress this guy, not for what he did but for the inevitable legislative response" but the :smug: emanating from half of this country if a 'dirty bomb' is ever successfully detonated in a US population center would arguably be worse than the loss of life and property caused by the attack itself.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
I've got an advance version of Drudge for the month following any terror attack under Obama:

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

Chard posted:

Wow looks like a great spot for hiking and camping, thanks Obama!

DO YOU MEAN WALKING IN KEEN SANDALS? UGH!

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

mooyashi posted:

DO YOU MEAN WALKING IN KEEN SANDALS? UGH!
That looks like the kind of place you might actually be able to do some real hiking, so you will find approximately no yuppies there I'm guessing. Maybe if you stick a lone Uber driver, a Williams-Sonoma and a quinoa stand in the foothills.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ReindeerF posted:

That looks like the kind of place you might actually be able to do some real hiking, so you will find approximately no yuppies there I'm guessing. Maybe if you stick a lone Uber driver, a Williams-Sonoma and a quinoa stand in the foothills.

It's about an hour's drive from El Paso, so remote-ish but not out in the middle of nowhere.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

computer parts posted:

They've "shot up" but not nearly to the extent of the housing crisis
Its true they haven't reached to the peak of the previous bubble prices yet but that doesn't mean housing prices aren't in a boom or bubble all over again. Not every bubble or boom breaks previous record highs. I did mention the wage/job situation in the post you quoted as my reasoning why and didn't claim they were as high as the previous peak. On top of that it should be noted that the cost of schooling and healthcare continued to rise at the same time while wages stagnated or dropped effectively reducing available income for housing. An increase in housing prices in that economic environment makes no sense. But then you see stuff like NINJA loans, they don't actually call them that but that is what they are, starting to make a comeback and then it all begins to make sense.

computer parts posted:

Banks have absolutely nothing to do with Student Loans ever since the ACA passed.
That was only a few years ago and the student loan situation had already reached bubble levels by then. AFAIK repayment rate is still around 7% while the delinquent borrower rate has risen to nearly 20%. Pre-recession delinquent rate was around 10% IIRC. Meanwhile the job market still continues to put out mostly min. wage jobs which usually don't pay enough to live on much less pay college debt. If that situation doesn't turn around and we don't see truly massive numbers (ie. millions or tens of millions) of decent paying (ie. ~$40k+/yr) jobs start to pop up to pay for those college debts the situation will only continue to get worse.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

That was only a few years ago and the student loan situation had already reached bubble levels by then. AFAIK repayment rate is still around 7% while the delinquent borrower rate has risen to nearly 20%. Pre-recession delinquent rate was around 10% IIRC. Meanwhile the job market still continues to put out mostly min. wage jobs which usually don't pay enough to live on much less pay college debt. If that situation doesn't turn around and we don't see truly massive numbers (ie. millions or tens of millions) of decent paying (ie. ~$40k+/yr) jobs start to pop up to pay for those college debts the situation will only continue to get worse.

Before the ACA passed the banks had absolutely no assets at risk either (they just managed the federal loans, all of them were insured by the US Government).

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

computer parts posted:

It's about an hour's drive from El Paso, so remote-ish but not out in the middle of nowhere.
Still safe, now if it gets any closer to Marfa or Santa Fe we could be in trouble.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

I hate to be all "gently caress this guy, not for what he did but for the inevitable legislative response" but the :smug: emanating from half of this country if a 'dirty bomb' is ever successfully detonated in a US population center would arguably be worse than the loss of life and property caused by the attack itself.

yeah. if terrorists blow something up, it'll be the republicans who find the source if anyone can

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

computer parts posted:

Before the ACA passed the banks had absolutely no assets at risk either (they just managed the federal loans, all of them were insured by the US Government).
My understanding was that the US Govt. only partially insured some of the loans and the majority weren't insured due to bank shenanigans to get people 'qualified' a la the housing bubble mortgage underwriting mess.

Do you have any good links available on the subject?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

My understanding was that the US Govt. only partially insured some of the loans and the majority weren't insured due to bank shenanigans to get people 'qualified' a la the housing bubble mortgage underwriting mess.

Do you have any good links available on the subject?

Here you go.

Choice graph:

(Direct loans are those that aren't subsidized by the Feds but are directly administered by them)

e: Here is a direct article on the subsidization program itself:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Family_Education_Loan_Program

quote:

In 2007-08, FFEL served 6.5 million students and parents, lending a total of $54.7 billion in new loans (or 80% of all new federal student loans). Since 1965, 60 million Americans have used FFEL loans to pay for education expenses.

e2: I should also mention that there are two different definitions of "subsidized" here. "Subsidized loans" refers to the government paying interest on that loan for when you're in school (so effectively, just ignoring the interest). Subsidizing the banks means that the banks are being paid to manage a loan.

computer parts fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Sep 5, 2014

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Thanks for the information. The banks don't appear to be nearly as exposed to the risk of student loan default as I'd originally thought. It does however appear the US Govt. would still end up holding the bag for stupid amounts of debt when it defaults.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Nothing to do with anything, but FYI to the couple other AK goons who read the thread: Clarence Thomas will be speaking at UAA on the 16th.

Should be depressing to the point of hilarity and bringing alcohol hidden in a water bottle is highly recommended...

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

Joementum posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Debate & Discussion: We tortured some folks > USPOL September: "are there dragons?" Obama asked.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Debate & Discussion: We tortured some folks > USPOL September: "The pact," Obama said, clenching his fist.

Hahaha, what on earth?

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

Armani posted:

Hahaha, what on earth?

The kids heard about the great campaign he ran back in 2012 :rolldice:

Caros
May 14, 2008

site posted:

Nothing to do with anything, but FYI to the couple other AK goons who read the thread: Clarence Thomas will be speaking at UAA on the 16th.

Should be depressing to the point of hilarity and bringing alcohol hidden in a water bottle is highly recommended...

I don't believe you.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Caros posted:

I don't believe you.

:golfclap:

I'm dense enough that this took me a sec. Well played.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Did ISIS move into Osama's cave-complex in Syria?

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Joementum posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Debate & Discussion: We tortured some folks > USPOL September: "The pact," Obama said, his arms wide.

a penus
Aug 14, 2004

see you next mission

site posted:

Actually, it's a speaker speaking about Clarence Thomas. I work at UAA and the design for that poster is hilariously deceptive. Alcohol hidden in a water bottle is still recommended.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

site posted:

Illuminati code received.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 206 days!

computer parts posted:

e2: I should also mention that there are two different definitions of "subsidized" here. "Subsidized loans" refers to the government paying interest on that loan for when you're in school (so effectively, just ignoring the interest). Subsidizing the banks means that the banks are being paid to manage a loan.

Weird question here, but circa 2001, was it common for universities to not accept federal student loans, or some types of them?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Shbobdb posted:

Illuminati code received.

One of my profs is the guy hosting and I was gonna ask him if I could do that for extra credit, but now I read this

a penus posted:

Actually, it's a speaker speaking about Clarence Thomas. I work at UAA and the design for that poster is hilariously deceptive. Alcohol hidden in a water bottle is still recommended.

and I'm sad.

Yes, it's very deceptive. I just went back to read the lecture description cause I swore it said Thomas himself was speaking, but nope! It's just written in a way that sort-of implies it. Thanks for saving me from a couple hours of boring poo poo. Do you work in the PoliSci dept?

site fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Sep 5, 2014

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Obama, as the nation fell.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 206 days!

MrUnderbridge posted:

Obama, as the nation fell.

Obama and Romney, drunk at the Bohemian Grove

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Ugh, Ted Cruz is speaking here in Bryan today. I'm half tempted to take a late lunch and go listen, but I doubt I would find it as satisfying as actually having lunch since he probably wouldn't give a real answer to any question I might ask if I had the opportunity to do so.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Caros posted:

I don't believe you.

Well played.

a penus posted:

And how prescient.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ReidRansom posted:

Ugh, Ted Cruz is speaking here in Bryan today. I'm half tempted to take a late lunch and go listen, but I doubt I would find it as satisfying as actually having lunch since he probably wouldn't give a real answer to any question I might ask if I had the opportunity to do so.

Huh, Wendy Davis was just here the other day too.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

ReidRansom posted:

...How many B/CS* goons do we have, anyway?

* - it's my home base, at least.

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll

Hodgepodge posted:

Weird question here, but circa 2001, was it common for universities to not accept federal student loans, or some types of them?

Has there ever been a university that refused to take money from anyone?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Hodgepodge posted:

Nonfederal loans were ~12-13% of all loans around 2001 so that seems unlikely.

http://www.collegeboard.com/prod_downloads/about/news_info/trends/student_loans.pdf

Oh and for reference today:

quote:

– Nonfederal education loans, which are not part of the student aid system, grew from an estimated $10.5 billion (in 2012 dollars)
in 2002-03 to $25.5 billion in 2007-08. Since then, student loan volume from banks, credit unions, states, and institutions has declined to about $8.8 billion.

– The percentage of undergraduate students taking private education loans fell from 14% in 2007-08 to 6% in 2011-12; the percentage of graduate students relying on this source of funds fell from 11% to 4%.

https://trends.collegeboard.org/sites/default/files/student-aid-2013-full-report-140108.pdf

computer parts fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Sep 5, 2014

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

GreyjoyBastard posted:

...How many B/CS* goons do we have, anyway?

* - it's my home base, at least.

I grew up there :kiddo:

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

computer parts posted:

Huh, Wendy Davis was just here the other day too.
They're trying to lock down the underachieving redneck vote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

sleepingbuddha posted:

Has there ever been a university that refused to take money from anyone?

There's a joke about minority and female students in here somewhere.