Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
US Politics for the month of September. We are now down to this being a glorified RSS feed since everything else got shunted off to its own thread.

I came across a follow up to July's OP photo and just had to use it.

Anyways...

Big question for this month is how will Congress react to Obama's expected impending executive actions on climate change and immigration. If he puts them in place, there is already an undercurrent of opposition to a continuing resolution for the budget, which would trigger another shutdown a month before the election. Or they could just campaign against whatever he does. Or Obama could do nothing, to try and protect congressional Dems in tight races. Time will tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I will sell my vote for $72,999.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ReindeerF posted:

I'll do it for $72,998!

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Calendar says it's still August.

Impeach fried chicken.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Impeach fried chicken.

On average, he's on time for the past two months.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/border-patrol-agent-fires-at-armed-militia-member

Why not start with the Texas Border Patrol almost killing some moron playing soldier.

quote:

Border Patrol Spokesman Omar Zamora told the Associated Press that agents were pursuing a group of immigrants when one agent spotted a man holding a gun near the Rio Grande.

The agent fired four shots but did not hit the man, Zamora said. The man then dropped his weapon and identified himself as a militia member.

The sheriff said militias really aren't needed at the Texas-Mexico border given the number of law enforcement agencies already working to secure the area.

"It just creates a problem from my point of view, because we don't know who they are," Lucio told the AP.

U.S. Customs and Border Protection has said it does not "endorse or support any private group or organization from taking matters into their own hands as it could have disastrous personal and public safety consequences."

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Impeach fried chicken.

I think if these keeps up, he will issue an executive order, making the last few days of the month a prime slot for the next month's thread. The tyrant!

Wait, does this make the regular posters members of Congress?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

computer parts posted:

I don't know why you fried chicken supporters keep bringing up impeachment. I and my fellow poster may be opposed to his OPsidency but we don't want to impeach to him.

Damiya
Jul 3, 2012
what no taupe joke? damnit fried chicken :(

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Sir Tonk posted:

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/border-patrol-agent-fires-at-armed-militia-member

Why not start with the Texas Border Patrol almost killing some moron playing soldier.
The problem that may finally solve itself.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:
The budding American fascist movement almost had it's first casualty in the fight for liberty.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Sir Tonk posted:

I really dislike the existence of state militia since they exist in a bizarre nether region that makes me feel like they could be used to start a civil war. :tinfoil:

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Damiya posted:

Seriously, I was crushed by the title.

I'm eager for September to start in earnest, this year's recess wasn't jam packed with townhall stupidity like I was hoping

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Lawman 0 posted:

I really dislike the existence of state militia since they exist in a bizarre nether region that makes me feel like they could be used to start a civil war. :tinfoil:

These aren't "state" militia as far as I know though? The ones going down to "secure the border" are some yahoos that don't belong to any level of the US government - or that's the impression I got, aside from Rick Perry calling upon the actual Texas National Guard.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

ReindeerF posted:

Nintendo Kid posted:

I'll do it for $72,998!

I will charge campaigns $72,997 in legal fees and coincidentally endorse them.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Yeah, it's a bunch of idiots. I also would love to see their backgrounds pulled so I can keep crowing about my "THEY'RE NOT FROM loving TEXAS" thing.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Joementum posted:

$72,996! Do I hear $72,996?!?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Joementum posted:

You can tell it's state level politics and the Pauls because when you get to the big leagues you take millions from competing sides, sell them off against each other and then never do anything.

Actual scenes from Jesse's reLOVEution compound:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpDSn6odVzs

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Where is The Audacity of Taupe thread title? Impeach Fried Chicken!

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Damiya posted:

Why is Fried Chicken ignoring the will of the people? I think its about time we started considering impeachment!

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

StandardVC10 posted:

These aren't "state" militia as far as I know though? The ones going down to "secure the border" are some yahoos that don't belong to any level of the US government - or that's the impression I got, aside from Rick Perry calling upon the actual Texas National Guard.

The state militia is legally separated into two categories, organized and unorganized. In pretty much every state the organized militia is defined as the state's National Guard and whatever State Defense Force the state may or may not decide to have. The unorganized militia is all able bodied persons (or males depending on the state) between whatever age range the the state decides. The purpose of the unorganized militia is to be able to draft people in the case of some kind of emergency where the state would need to do that sort of thing, the unorganized militia isn't supposed to organize itself and go do stuff without orders from the state military establishment.

tl;dr No they're not in the state militia.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Thread title sucks. Impeach fried chicken.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Now a lot of people are going around saying that posters want to "Impeach Fried Chicken", but this is a lie. We want nothing of the sort. All this impeachment talk is just part of a plan by Fried Chicken to get moderators to feel sympathetic towards him and entrench him even deeper as the perma-OP of the USPOL threads. For this reason, I, and my fellow posters, plan to file a lawsuit against Fried Chicken for illegally leveraging powers that do not belong to OPs, including his bad mis-management of thread titles and lack of up-to-date news and materials in the first post.

I would like to stress, however, that this lawsuit is NOT an impeachment proceeding, because we have no intentions of that sort.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Evil Fluffy posted:

I would have also accepted USPol Sept -- Peter King's natural enemy, a black in tan

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
By the way, the "taupe" pun dates all the way back to the Obama staff in 2007.

quote:

Even on their wedding day, politics was ever-present, but never an intrusion. [national press secretary for Senator Barack Obama] Mr. Burton, now 29, and his groomsmen wore tan summer suits. “The audacity of taupe,” he quipped, still on message.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

If Obama signing executive orders causes the GOP to do another shutdown right before the elections, then I hope the Pres has plenty of ink.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

FlamingLiberal posted:

If Obama signing executive orders causes the GOP to do another shutdown right before the elections, then I hope the Pres has plenty of ink.

If this happens I expect to see the GOP take voter disenfranchisement to a whole new level. What better excpet to shutdown voting locations in poor/minority areas than blame any such 'accidents' on a government shutdown?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Evil Fluffy posted:

If this happens I expect to see the GOP take voter disenfranchisement to a whole new level. What better excpet to shutdown voting locations in poor/minority areas than blame any such 'accidents' on a government shutdown?

Because white people don't like government shutdowns either, and voting locations are handled by the state governments.

njbeachbum
Apr 14, 2005

Evil Fluffy posted:

I'll bet he wears a tan suit too.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

computer parts posted:

Because white people don't like government shutdowns either, and voting locations are handled by the state governments.

The only way the GOP could get any value out of shutting down the government in the middle of election season is if they could spin it that it was the Democrats who did it. Which, that didn't work so well last time, if I remember correctly. Anyone who wasn't already voting straight ticket R saw through the bullshit, with a few examples of hand wringing, "Well, why can't they get along, it's BOTH sides' fault!"

Further evidence for impeachment.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
I was 468 posts behind on the August thread. What did I miss? Other than taupe jokes.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Defenestration posted:

I was 468 posts behind on the August thread. What did I miss? Other than taupe jokes.
Ron Paul's Grandson was forced to resign Mitch McConnell's campaign amid a misuse of campaign funds scandal involving what amounts to a bribe to a State Senator and Amergin troll and response for the other 450 posts.

EDIT: Also, a man with dark skin wore complementary colors, which is apparently unheard of if you're President.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Gentlemen, surely we need to form a union to set a price-floor on minimum vote prices. Now, what you'll get is anything above a minimum amount that campaigns agree to pay, along with an annual dividend payment in proportion to the total members of your family who vote the way we want. As a guarantee for payments, we'll need you to snapchat a picture of your ballot to a verification algorithm's address.

Campaigns: $200 per vote or $100,000 for our block of votes.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

The DoJ is suing a Minnesota Town, in Keith Ellison's district, for unlawfully denying Muslim groups access to a town business center. It seems pretty open and shut, but expect the right to freak the gently caress out

[url] http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2014/08/30/3477632/minnesota-town-islamic-center-lawsuit/[/url]

SavageBastard
Nov 16, 2007
Professional Lurker

Fried Chicken posted:

US Politics for the month of September. We are now down to this being a glorified RSS feed since everything else got shunted off to its own thread.

Free Amergin!

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

My Imaginary GF posted:

Gentlemen, surely we need to form a union to set a price-floor on minimum vote prices. Now, what you'll get is anything above a minimum amount that campaigns agree to pay, along with an annual dividend payment in proportion to the total members of your family who vote the way we want. As a guarantee for payments, we'll need you to snapchat a picture of your ballot to a verification algorithm's address.

Campaigns: $200 per vote or $100,000 for our block of votes.

Collectivism is anti-american.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

computer parts posted:

Which means he has horribly discriminated against August - starting its thread 6 days late, starting September's thread 2 days early. Fried Chicken is the real calendarist here.

SavageBastard posted:

Free Amergin!

Wait, what? I thought that Amergin-only thread got killed?

Jackson Taus fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Aug 30, 2014

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

SirKibbles posted:

Collectivism is anti-american.

Look at this scab, living at 123 North Fake Street. Sure would be bad if anything happened to this scab. Now, I'm not saying scabs deserve violence, that'd ve illegal, one shouldn't scab in a house with glass windows.

SavageBastard
Nov 16, 2007
Professional Lurker

Jackson Taus posted:

Which means he has horribly discriminated against August - starting its thread 6 days late, starting September's thread 2 days early. Fried Chicken is the real calendarist here.

Wait, what? I thought that Amergin-only thread got killed?

It might have I don't know. I do know that he provides some of the only real "debate & discussion" in these threads and why people get so mad about him is beyond me. A true troll does it just to get people worked up. Amergin does a pretty decent job at presenting an opposing view and I actually enjoy thinking about and reading how people respond. Without hat this just becomes another echo chamber steamrolling towards liberal fantasyland. Heaven forbid someone present some lovely viewpoints and people have to make a post that isn't pure reaction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

SavageBastard posted:

It might have I don't know. I do know that he provides some of the only real "debate & discussion" in these threads and why people get so mad about him is beyond me. A true troll does it just to get people worked up. Amergin does a pretty decent job at presenting an opposing view and I actually enjoy thinking about and reading how people respond. Without hat this just becomes another echo chamber steamrolling towards liberal fantasyland. Heaven forbid someone present some lovely viewpoints and people have to make a post that isn't pure reaction.

People keep throwing around echo chamber but it's really not most of the threads on SA have trended towards being more specialized,these threads used to be 100s of pages. It's really not an opposing view though very rarely did he post his actual positions and when he did it wasn't anything more than standard SA liberal so I'm not seeing how a liberal pretending to be conservative is stopping an echo chamber. If you wanted to do that you'd merge Gip and D&D. :getin:

My Imaginary GF posted:

Look at this scab, living at 123 North Fake Street. Sure would be bad if anything happened to this scab. Now, I'm not saying scabs deserve violence, that'd ve illegal, one shouldn't scab in a house with glass windows.

Good thing unions are on life support in this country or I'd actually be worried.