Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Majorian posted:

Please don't wish this. He will almost certainly be replaced by someone much, much, MUCH worse.

Sadly true.

Responsibility for the deaths of many Russians, Ukrainians, EU citizens and even Malaysians is not enough?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006

Fabulous Knight posted:

Itar-Tass: FSB arrested an Estonian security official in Russia, with pistol, money & spy gear. Estonia says he was abducted from Estonia.

Who is telling the truth? Who is feeding us lies?

Anyway there is no way this timing is a coincidence, not after Obama being in Tallinn just yesterday.

Estonia has enough sensors and surveillance equipment on the border to catch every illegal immigrant. And I can not possibly think of a reason why our intelligence agents would go across the border.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Majorian posted:

To be fair, that is the grammatically correct way to say it in Russian. But yeah, I try to call Ukraine what most Ukrainians want their country to be called.

Huh? "The Ukraine" can't be the grammatically correct way in Russian considering the language does not have any analogue of the word "the" (or "a"). I think you are conflating this with a similar discussion on what the appropriate Russian preposition to use with Ukraine is, but that has no direct reflection in English.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Finlander posted:

Well, now that Putin's kidnapping people from across the border, in loving NATO COUNTRIES, no less, what's gonna be next?

We don't know for sure that the guy was kidnapped across the border. It's still bad if the FSB arrested him in Russia for a bullshit reason, which is probably what happened, but it's not exactly Article 5-worthy.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

OddObserver posted:

Huh? "The Ukraine" can't be the grammatically correct way in Russian considering the language does not have any analogue of the word "the" (or "a"). I think you are conflating this with a similar discussion on what the appropriate Russian preposition to use with Ukraine is, but that has no direct reflection in English.

My point is, part of the reason why people say "the Ukraine" is because the name derives from the Slavic word for "frontier" or "edge."

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Sadly true.

Responsibility for the deaths of many Russians, Ukrainians, EU citizens and even Malaysians is not enough?

Ok lets hang every ruler whos actions/inactions created unexpected spread damage. Whats the civilian death toll in Iraq and Afganistan, all over Africa, even Mexico, again?

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Majorian posted:

No, but when using it with a preposition, it's "на Украине," ie: "on the Ukraine," which is to say "on the edge/frontier." It's not "in Ukraine."

Interesting. I was not aware of the history behind using the "na" preposition vs. "v." Guess I read too many pro-Ukrainian articles eh?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

DrPop posted:

Interesting. I was not aware of the history behind using the "na" preposition vs. "v." Guess I read too many pro-Ukrainian articles eh?

Well, to be fair, it's still something that even the Ukrainians are straightening out.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Preoptopus posted:

Ok lets hang every ruler whos actions/inactions created unexpected spread damage. Whats the civilian death toll in Iraq and Afganistan, all over Africa, even Mexico, again?

1) gently caress America, too.
2) There is nothing unexpected about all the deaths Putin is responsible for.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Yeah, sending dudes into a literal proxy war kills people, this is not an unexpected outcome to anyone.

Finlander
Feb 21, 2011
Especially when the dudes you're using are literally terrorists that torture and slaughter civilians by the thousands.

TeodorMorozov
May 27, 2013

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Let's see... Ah, yes. gently caress RUSSIA.

No one likes us, we don't care :)

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

1) gently caress America, too.
2) There is nothing unexpected about all the deaths Putin is responsible for.

Just extreme I think. I doubt Putin is directly responsible for anything. Military operations can easily be purchased sadly. People are giving him way too much credit.

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Sep 5, 2014

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Finlander posted:

Especially when the dudes you're using are literally terrorists that torture and slaughter civilians by the thousands.

...see, this is not well documented as far as I know. Obviously there are atrocities going on, but that's part of war - is there anything (beyond instigating an unnecessary war to begin with) that points to the separatists++ being particularly vicious? I mean, by the standards of intercine warfare etc

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Preoptopus posted:

Just extreme I think. I doubt Putin is directly responsible for anything. Military operations can easily be purchased sadly. People are giving him way too much credit.
:lol:

Just wondering, in your world did Crimea voluntarily join the waiting arms of Russia, too, without Putin being responsible for anything? Like changing legislation for that very purpose, things like that.

Spacehams
Jun 3, 2007

sometimes people are mean, and I think they should try being nice
Grimey Drawer

DrPop posted:

It's pretty normal to say "в Украине" now as opposed to the traditional "на." Ukrainians tend to get pretty offended by people saying на, and most of the Russians I know here in the US use в. I don't know how common it is in Russia itself, but I see it in most news articles too.

Finlander
Feb 21, 2011

V. Illych L. posted:

...see, this is not well documented as far as I know. Obviously there are atrocities going on, but that's part of war - is there anything (beyond instigating an unnecessary war to begin with) that points to the separatists++ being particularly vicious? I mean, by the standards of intercine warfare etc

Well, there's too much stuff to really link all in one go, but this is a pretty good resource for this stuff:

http://www.hrw.org/europecentral-asia/ukraine

There was this one really good report that really went into this stuff, including abuses by the pro-Kiev side, but I can't find it right just now.

Oh, and this:

http://euroradio.fm/en/ukrainian-deputy-tortured-and-drowned-alive

This is really the thing that really made things clear about what the separatists really were: A pack of murderers.

Finlander fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Sep 5, 2014

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

So your a well funded rebel with good ties to a commanding officer or even a low ranking general and offer up cash money to "borrow" some troops and equipment. Obviously hes going to take it and have a "practice" drill along the border that oops slips across it. It happened all the time in Chechnya where officers or commanders would literally sell their troops into slave labor or make undertable deals with Charlie. I guarantee its whats going on.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

I obviously know nothing about Eastern Europe and Russia because just yesterday I said the Russians couldn't possibly be that stupid to do anything to provoke the Baltic states but clearly I am full of poo poo. Regardless of who abducted the Estonian officer, he's still an officer and represents the government of Estonia.
Well, if spies or undercover agents are to be held to the same "government representative" standard as for example cops or elected politicians is debatable, spies or undercover agents are totally valid targets for secret services either due to perceived national interest or suspected criminal activity. If he was abducted from Estonian soil it would of course be more of a violation, but if it was on Russian soil I would not blame Russia for taking interest in a potential spy from a neighboring NATO country in the current situation. Maybe he is something of an undercover agent with no intent of spying on Russia, or maybe he is a spy that might know something sensitive, in any case they deemed him important enough to warrant an abduction.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Preoptopus posted:

So your a well funded rebel with good ties to a commanding officer or even a low ranking general and offer up cash money to "borrow" some troops and equipment. Obviously hes going to take it and have a "practice" drill along the border that oops slips across it. It happened all the time in Chechnya where officers or commanders would literally sell their troops into slave labor or make undertable deals with Charlie. I guarantee its whats going on.
What the gently caress, this is absolutely delusional.

Zudgemud posted:

Well, if spies or undercover agents are to be held to the same "government representative" standard as for example cops or elected politicians is debatable, spies or undercover agents are totally valid targets for secret services either due to perceived national interest or suspected criminal activity. If he was abducted from Estonian soil it would of course be more of a violation, but if it was on Russian soil I would not blame Russia for taking interest in a potential spy from a neighboring NATO country in the current situation. Maybe he is something of an undercover agent with no intent of spying on Russia, or maybe he is a spy that might know something sensitive, in any case they deemed him important enough to warrant an abduction.
Where did it say he's a spy/undercover agent?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

As for calling Ukraine the Ukraine: It's not the Germany or the Poland, and it sounds just as stupid when you put that article before Ukraine. I knew I forgot to put something in the new OP yesterday.

The Netherlands :(

I wish Ukrainians would prefer "the Ukraine", it sounds better.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Preoptopus posted:

Stop pretending war is a video game.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Zudgemud posted:

Or someone at some level of the FSB command structure felt like sending a message. I think that seems more likely, to be honest.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Guys one guy from one country might have been kidnapped by people who are maybe Russians and this might have happened on NATO soil, better start a world war!

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

El Scotch posted:

If I put 'the' in front of every country, then can I do it? :v:

It works that way in some languages. But not in English.

In English, the rule of thumb would be to put "the" only in front of country names that actually are nouns. E.g. "the Swiss Confederation", but "Switzerland". Or "the United States", but "America".

You can say "the Borderlands" instead of Ukraine I suppose.

Orange Devil posted:

That's a good illustration of that rule. It's a noun, "the nether lands", or "the low countries". Sometimes people call it Holland (after one of its regions) and then it's not "the Holland".

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006

Orange Devil posted:

I wish Ukrainians would prefer "the Ukraine", it sounds better.

In my Ukrainian circles its part of an old Czarist-House of Gotha alliance. We Russians will refer to conquered peoples in X manner, just like the British speak about their conquered peoples. like "the Welsh". The paranoia is centered around the belief that "The" Ukraine reduces the nation state to that of a territory, or smaller geographical area within a larger one. Think of how Americans call it "the South" and not "the former lands of the Confederacy and Cree peoples".

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Forgall posted:

Where did it say he's a spy/undercover agent?

The English TASS piece says he was working undercover.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Nonsense posted:

Stop pretending war is a video game.

It happened for a fact in Chechnya. I cant find the article right now as Im at work, but feel free to look it up.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Gaj posted:

In my Ukrainian circles its part of an old Czarist-House of Gotha alliance. We Russians will refer to conquered peoples in X manner, just like the British speak about their conquered peoples. like "the Welsh". The paranoia is centered around the belief that "The" Ukraine reduces the nation state to that of a territory, or smaller geographical area within a larger one. Think of how Americans call it "the South" and not "the former lands of the Confederacy and Cree peoples".

Well for one thing, a whole rear end load of Americans still refer to it as the Confederacy. For another, it was never confederate land.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

pigdog posted:

:lol:

Just wondering, in your world did Crimea voluntarily join the waiting arms of Russia, too, without Putin being responsible for anything? Like changing legislation for that very purpose, things like that.

The medals and awards for "Return of Crimea" must have handed themselves out in Kremlin themselves, too.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Majorian posted:

The English TASS piece says he was working undercover.
Same one that claims he was captured on russian soil with james bond spy kit?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Forgall posted:

Same one that claims he was captured on russian soil with james bond spy kit?

Yup. I'm not saying it shouldn't be taken with a grain of salt; I'm just saying information's scarce.

e: And I think the guy probably isn't a spy, but I also am guessing he wasn't kidnapped in Estonia. That would be an unusually dumb move on the Kremlin's part. That's just a guess, though.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Sep 5, 2014

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
The event was way too recent and way too politically-charged to trust any information beyond "An Estonian officer has apparently been kidnapped" right now.

NATO generals are probably at pucker factor twelve though.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Nintendo Kid posted:

Well for one thing, a whole rear end load of Americans still refer to it as the Confederacy.

No they don't. That's really stupid.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

TildeATH posted:

Who are you to deny Fishmech's knowledge?

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

pigdog posted:

Crimea and East Ukraine are two different things. He wanted the port, the rebels don't want to be part of Russia, they want there own thing with ties to Russia as to not pay the standard gas prices Ukraine will have to start paying now that they are buddy buddy with the EU. Nobody apparently cares about the free lunch they have been getting and not paying for btw.

Also found a quick and dirty dated article about Troops being sold into slavery.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/soldier-escapes-slavery-after-11-years-ndash-and-is-arrested-for-desertion-2349342.html

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

TildeATH posted:

Yes they do, you hear it from sneering northerners on these forums and others pretty often.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

TeodorMorozov posted:

No one likes us, we don't care :)

Hey. Russians are great people. Big hearts, black moods, great people. It's just the government that deserves to be stuffed into a meat grinder feetfirst.

Finlander
Feb 21, 2011

Warcabbit posted:

Hey. Russians are great people. Big hearts, black moods, great people. It's just the government that deserves to be stuffed into a meat grinder feetfirst.

Yeah, my brother's girlfriend's Russian, and she's honestly the single nicest person I know. I'm honestly a bit worried, since she's got a kid from an earlier marriage, and the father lives in Russia, so if there really is some conflict with Putin in the near future, he might get stuck in Russia with no way to get over to Finland.
Although, depending on the circumstances, it could be even more dangerous to be in Finland if it comes down to that. Putin's got no qualms about attacking civilians.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Warcabbit posted:

Tried that in 1917, got :ussr:

• Locked thread