Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I talked to a guy who was a contractor for that line, he said every lunch time his workers would disappear and come back late to the job, he talked to his foreman and found out that where they were working was really close to a red light district for "fresh off the boat" Asian girls, so during lunch they'd all go whore it up. His response: "Next time invite me, assholes!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barto
Dec 27, 2004

TetsuoTW posted:

The Taipei station for that is actually coming along pretty quickly now, they might actually hit this deadline.

you jinxed it.

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

I leave for the airport in about 12 hours. Anything I should do to not stick out like a sore thumb when I arrive in Taiwan--aside from not being tall, white, and carrying three pieces of luggage, that is?

Edit: I need to open a bank account in Taiwan... Any recommendations?

Backweb fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Sep 3, 2014

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Backweb posted:

I leave for the airport in about 12 hours. Anything I should do to not stick out like a sore thumb when I arrive in Taiwan--aside from not being tall, white, and carrying three pieces of luggage, that is?

Edit: I need to open a bank account in Taiwan... Any recommendations?

I use Taishin bank. They have branches all over the city, their debit card can be used online and they don't have any ridiculous fees like you might get at Citibank. I was able to use their card in ATMS in America when I went back, but not at ones in Singapore, so that might be an issue; I didn't really explore the matter and after getting my card cloned last year I told them to put every security measure they had under the sun on it so they might have done something like "auto decline this card anywhere other than Taiwan or the USA". That said when my card was stolen they emailed me and reversing the fake charges were no hassle other than having to go to their main office in Neihu and confirm with someone there which charges weren't mine. I think I had all my funds back within a month of so.

Also all the employers who used direct deposit that I've had accepted Taishin bank, with the exception of Kojen but now that I've been here a while I'm guessing they probably have some under the table deal with whatever bank that was they made me use; where the bank would kick them back some cash whenever they signed up a foreigner to the bank.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Sep 3, 2014

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

I've had pretty good going with Megabank too.

Backweb posted:

Anything I should do to not stick out like a sore thumb when I arrive in Taiwan
Don't bother even trying, it won't work.

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE

Backweb posted:

Anything I should do to not stick out like a sore thumb when I arrive in Taiwan--aside from not being tall, white, and carrying three pieces of luggage, that is?

Take a taxi straight from the airport to the Brass Monkey in Taipei. If the cabbie doesn't understand, speak louder and more slowly. Yell at him while you pull up each word on a phone translator app. Tip the cabbie at least 20% upon arriving and every time he refuses, increase the tip by 5%. After you get into the Brass Monkey, start macking on girls 15 years younger or 15 years older than you, but not within 15 years either direction. Doesn't matter if you're married or in a relationship, in fact bonus points if you are. Loudly proclaim you are the best English teacher around but then quickly in the same sentence say teaching English is just your short-term gig until your amazing business idea gets off the ground. Talk to no one in particular about the time you spent in Korea/Japan/Sri Lanka and how it was so much better than this place.

Really though, comport yourself as you would in any foreign country and assume that when there's a misunderstanding you're probably in the wrong. Be nice.

USDA Choice fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Sep 3, 2014

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

USDA Choice posted:

Take a taxi straight from the airport to the Brass Monkey in Taipei.

Seconded.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

USDA Choice posted:

Loudly proclaim you are the best English teacher around but then quickly in the same sentence say teaching English is just your short-term gig until your amazing business idea gets off the ground.
Add "make no efforts to actually learn Mandarin" and the inevitable failure of said idea and I think I know this guy.

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE

TetsuoTW posted:

Add "make no efforts to actually learn Mandarin" and the inevitable failure of said idea and I think I know this guy.

:doh: How could I forget that?
KNEE HOW WHOA GEEOW JAMES WHOA SHUAY CHONG WHEN

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

USDA Choice posted:

Take a taxi straight from the airport to the Brass Monkey in Taipei. If the cabbie doesn't understand, speak louder and more slowly. Yell at him while you pull up each word on a phone translator app. Tip the cabbie at least 20% upon arriving and every time he refuses, increase the tip by 5%. After you get into the Brass Monkey, start macking on girls 15 years younger or 15 years older than you, but not within 15 years either direction. Doesn't matter if you're married or in a relationship, in fact bonus points if you are. Loudly proclaim you are the best English teacher around but then quickly in the same sentence say teaching English is just your short-term gig until your amazing business idea gets off the ground. Talk to no one in particular about the time you spent in Korea/Japan/Sri Lanka and how it was so much better than this place.

Really though, comport yourself as you would in any foreign country and assume that when there's a misunderstanding you're probably in the wrong. Be nice.

I don't know what to take seriously if anything in that first paragraph, but should I be tipping cabbies in Taipei?

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE

Backweb posted:

I don't know what to take seriously if anything in that first paragraph, but should I be tipping cabbies in Taipei?

No. Taiwan is almost entirely a non-tipping country. Except for perhaps nice western hotels around the 101 there's nowhere you should tip. You can round a 195 taxi fare up to 200 of course but don't tack anything on. The best way to show appreciation for a service is to be a repeat customer or say you'll direct business to them.

And nothing in that first paragraph was serious, just painting a caricature of the worst possible foreigner.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer
It's worth noting that if you travel to Taichung instead of Taipei you have two options on what you can do:

1) Take a fist full of E, snort some coke, take a cab out to "The Refuge" (which is an hour away from anything), and then wander around telling everybody about the awesome band your in/starting before awkwardly banging on a bongo drum for a couple hours*.

*Also acceptable: Wandering around telling people about the "'zine/newsletter" your starting, and handing out copies of some lovely poem you wrote to everyone in sight. Bonus points if you try to charge them for the lovely poem your handing out.

2) Get raging drunk at a 7-11 with your "buddies" while wearing matching t-shirts before going to *insert foreigner bar/restaurant" and awkwardly hitting on the waitresses. When you finally get so drunk that you can barely stand get on your scooter (or better yet, car!) and drive home swerving all over the god drat road. Anything less than 6-8 accidents a year means your a pussy.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

TetsuoTW posted:

Was this guy willing to work for 11 RMB/Hr TW$54/Hr?

Also, I am actually trying to learn a little bit before I go over, and can now count to ten. I probably sound like a tone deaf monkey or a dying cat (I think I'm speaking in a higher pitch, too, because all of the apps on my phone use women). I wonder if I can convince the lady at my favorite take out place to let me practice on her :v:

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

USDA Choice posted:

No. Taiwan is almost entirely a non-tipping country. Except for perhaps nice western hotels around the 101 there's nowhere you should tip. You can round a 195 taxi fare up to 200 of course but don't tack anything on. The best way to show appreciation for a service is to be a repeat customer or say you'll direct business to them.

And nothing in that first paragraph was serious, just painting a caricature of the worst possible foreigner.

Good to know. I started reading that first paragraph as something serious, but then didn't know where if anywhere things took a turn for the caricature. I've experienced the haggling aspect of buying things in Taiwan before so I thought that arguing up a 20% tip could have been one of those weird cultural things.

E: Re-reading it, that's a pretty funny paragraph now that I'm not confused about the context.

Backweb fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Sep 3, 2014

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Backweb posted:

Good to know. I started reading that first paragraph as something serious, but then didn't know where if anywhere things took a turn for the caricature. I've experienced the haggling aspect of buying things in Taiwan before so I thought that arguing up a 20% tip could have been one of those weird cultural things.

To be fair tipping is getting more and more popular in Taiwan. Especially places that serve more Western style food. When I first moved there I only ever saw tip cups at the foreigner owned bars/restaurants. However, around the time I moved back to the USA it wasn't uncommon to see them in coffee shops/pizza places/whatever as well, regardless whether they were owned by a foreigner or not.

quote:

E: Re-reading it, that's a pretty funny paragraph now that I'm not confused about the context.

It's funny until you live in Taiwan a few years, and you start realizing that really is how a lot of foreigners behave. Then you start getting jaded about everything, and suddenly the people posting on Forumosa start making a lot of sense too you. At which point you realize you've got to get the hell out of the country ASAP before you lose yourself too far down that rabbit hole...

...So you move back to the USA, and even though it's all the same poo poo different country it's a hell of a lot easier to pretend those people don't exist. You feel like a weight has been lifted off your soul, and your actually happy...

...Except now your problem is that teaching English in Taiwan means exactly "jack" and "poo poo" to employers back in the states. Those years you spent dicking around in Taiwan, your peers spent gaining REAL job experience. Which they used to move on to better jobs with livable wages that are out of your reach. So your forced to except some lovely entry level job, living hand to mouth like you did in college, and trying to work your way up from the bottom...

...Then you start remembering the quality of life you had back in Taiwan, and maybe... if I just move back to Taiwan for a little while... maybe it won't be like before...

[/circle of life in Taiwan]

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

... And then that's when I tip the cabbies??

drat that sounds soul crushing. Are you still in Taiwan?

Backweb fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Sep 4, 2014

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer
Haha it's just this weird cycle a lot of foreigners go through in Taiwan. They get fed up with Taiwan, decide to move back home, realize poo poo isn't much better then go right back to Taiwan.

I'm going through it myself, but I'll be staying in the USA. If I could find a job there doing something other than teaching I might go back, but that's easier said than done.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)

USDA Choice posted:

Talk to no one in particular about the time you spent in Korea/Japan/Sri Lanka and how it was so much better than this place.

AtlasHugged has anyone done this about Korea?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

HappyHelmet posted:

Haha it's just this weird cycle a lot of foreigners go through in Taiwan. They get fed up with Taiwan, decide to move back home, realize poo poo isn't much better then go right back to Taiwan.

I'm going through it myself, but I'll be staying in the USA. If I could find a job there doing something other than teaching I might go back, but that's easier said than done.
We're still looking for a technical writer if you wanna try for it.

On tipping: There's no tipping, and in most sit-down restaurants(excluding mom 'n pops/hole in the walls), there's a 10% service charge automatically added to your bill. Some places have a tip jar, but it's never required or expected. It might be nice to tip in specific situations like if a hotel employee or cabbie is helping you with your bags, but it's never expected.

Random cabbie advice: don't need to tip them, but know when to say "uhhhhhh stop here this is fine" and get the gently caress out and get a different cab if the driver is fuckin' nuts/unable to figure out GPS/falling asleep/stopping to buy lottery tickets. It's ill advised to start poo poo with a cab driver; if you have a problem, you call the cab company later instead of yelling at the guy. Also, I don't thiiiiiiiink cab drivers bother trying to cheat customers by using unlicensed meters or trying to take a long way to get somewhere anymore, at least not in Taipei.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Nah, I've looked into that sort of work before, and it's not really what I'm looking for. Also I hear it's pretty wishy-washy on how long you can hold down those jobs, and I'm at a point in my life where I should really be working toward a career. Running off to Taiwan isn't going to help with that.

Now if I find a good job here that wants to transfer me to Taiwan, that would be another story.

quote:

Random cabbie advice: don't need to tip them, but know when to say "uhhhhhh stop here this is fine" and get the gently caress out and get a different cab if the driver is fuckin' nuts/unable to figure out GPS/falling asleep/stopping to buy lottery tickets. It's ill advised to start poo poo with a cab driver; if you have a problem, you call the cab company later instead of yelling at the guy. Also, I don't thiiiiiiiink cab drivers bother trying to cheat customers by using unlicensed meters or trying to take a long way to get somewhere anymore, at least not in Taipei.

I had a cab driver who started doing the whole Mario Andretti routine flying down the main street of Taichung at close to 110kph during heavy traffic flip on the TV in his dash and start watching a soap opera. After almost rear ending 2-3 people he finally decided it was best to turn it off.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Backweb posted:

drat that sounds soul crushing.
The thing is that long-term there are two ways you can go - you can become one of the lovely foreigners who constantly bitches about how dumb everyone and everything is and whines constantly and has finally bought in completely to the idea that because we get it better than average, we must be better than average; or you can stop clinging to a past that never existed and dreams you never accomplished and actually enjoy living here. (Protip: A big part of what differentiates those groups is whether or not they've actually tried to learn Mandarin or Taiwanese.)

Basically what I'm saying is stay out of Carnegies. Don't worry, that'll make sense pretty quick once you're here.

duckfarts posted:

Random cabbie advice: don't need to tip them, but know when to say "uhhhhhh stop here this is fine" and get the gently caress out and get a different cab if the driver is fuckin' nuts/unable to figure out GPS/falling asleep/stopping to buy lottery tickets.
Man I am so glad at how much the taxi drivers have improved over the years, at least in Taipei. There's still a lot that are clearly too loving stupid for the job, but for the most part they're actually fine. Except for the unbelievable number that smell like a cross between a dentist's office, betelnut spit, and body odor. I get that you're stuck in a car all day, but that's no reason to completely neglect personal hygiene you gross motherfuckers.

quote:

Also, I don't thiiiiiiiink cab drivers bother trying to cheat customers by using unlicensed meters or trying to take a long way to get somewhere anymore, at least not in Taipei.
Some of them still take the long way, but that's usually thanks to lovely GPS route planning, and a few forget to turn the meter on right away (and very rarely they forget entirely), but I've never had one be an rear end in a top hat about it.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
I've had taxi drivers try to gently caress around on me a few times, but if you call them out on it they'll usually just immediately go the right way and then cut a bit off the bill at the end.

Also if you're really anal just avoid taxis that have "個人" on the top as that means they're privately owned and range from good to horrifying stink traps.

Learn some Mandarin, but just be better than the guy who works for us who is married with children and still hasn't progressed past knee how and shay shay.

on the left
Nov 2, 2013
I Am A Gigantic Piece Of Shit

Literally poo from a diseased human butt

HappyHelmet posted:

Nah, I've looked into that sort of work before, and it's not really what I'm looking for. Also I hear it's pretty wishy-washy on how long you can hold down those jobs, and I'm at a point in my life where I should really be working toward a career. Running off to Taiwan isn't going to help with that.

Now if I find a good job here that wants to transfer me to Taiwan, that would be another story.

There are a ton of jobs that would have you frequently traveling between California and Taiwan. I've been working with people who do this for a while now and my backup plan for when I leave Taiwan is to transition to one of these jobs. One of my good friends even got a job with Asus that sent him to Colombia to work on the South American team and he occasionally makes it up to Taiwan.

Honestly, working in Taiwan kind of sucks because even if you have a great salary and benefits, you can get better conditions in China/HK/SG. Also, it feels like any sort of highly-compensated job is just waiting to be eaten away by China.

on the left fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Sep 4, 2014

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

on the left posted:

Honestly, working in Taiwan kind of sucks because even if you have a great salary and benefits, you can get better conditions in China/HK/SG. Also, it feels like any sort of highly-compensated job is just waiting to be eaten away by China.

Pretty much. Basically what I'm saying is that I won't be back. I enjoyed my time there and wouldn't take it back for the world, but it's time to move on.

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

Hey guys, I learned Chinese so that I can write shame in another language
Taiwan is the Canada of Asia. There's health insurance, everyone says sorry all the time, the largest city only has like 5 million people, and you're forever living in the shadow of the big shots next door.
Life is pretty good if you don't care about money though.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

hitension posted:

Taiwan is the Canada of Asia. There's health insurance, everyone says sorry all the time, the largest city only has like 5 million people, and you're forever living in the shadow of the big shots next door.
You missed "no-one pays attention to it except when there's a disaster or politicians are acting super retarded," another thing it shares with Canada. Fortunately we haven't had a mayor on crack yet, but if there's some kind of drug that does the opposite of the stuff in Lucy then Hau Long-bin's probably high off his balls on it.

BottledBacon
Sep 4, 2011

The same great taste with none of the chewing!

hitension posted:

Taiwan is the Canada of Asia.

This is perfect.

"Oh you're American Chinese!"

"No, actually I'm Canadian Taiwanese."

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

BottledBacon posted:

This is perfect.

"Oh you're American Chinese!"

"No, actually I'm Canadian Taiwanese."
It works really well for Britain Australia New Zealand too, right down to being a handful of islands off the east coast of its much larger neighbor which no one could place on a map for money.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

hitension posted:

Life is pretty good if you don't care about money though.

:lol:

I'm from Taiwan and this is absolutely perfect. That's how I'm going refer to Taiwan from now on when people ask where I'm from. Absolutely not joking.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Hess just sent me an infopack about the cost of living, and one particular point stood out to me. There are indoor fishing ponds where you can pay $100/hr to fish for shrimp. I am sold. It's the perfect excuse to respond to anyone looking to practice their English with an indecipherable Cajun accent.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Hell of a way to learn some gangster-rear end Taiwanese too.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I think I'm going to start my HESS application now. A few questions:

If I want to get there ASAP, should I select the Winter training term (November-December) for 3-4 months advance notice? Also, would a minor misdemeanor speeding ticket (20+ speed limit on highway in 2012) count as an offense on my criminal record history? Do they care about specific grades or GPA or just that you have completed your BA (I had a rough personal incident during my Senior year and some of my grades turned from Is to Fs before I got my BA; my in-major and College of Arts and Sciences GPA is still strong, just overall suffered)? And - this is a silly question - is there a drug screen at any point? I'm abstaining from pot now and will be okay going without while I'm in Taiwan, just want to check all my bases. Also, if anything I should know with interviews after submitting my application or what the HESS process is like.

Thanks, appreciate the help. :)

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Sep 5, 2014

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE

TheRamblingSoul posted:

I think I'm going to start my HESS application now. A few questions:

If I want to get there ASAP, should I select the Winter training term (November-December) for 3-4 months advance notice?
Also, would a minor misdemeanor speeding ticket (20+ speed limit on highway in 2012) count as a criminal offense?
Do they care about specific grades or GPA or just that you have completed your BA?
And - this is a silly question - is there a drug screen at any point? I'm abstaining from pot now and will be okay going without while I'm in Taiwan, just want to check all my bases.
Also, if anything I should know with interviews after submitting my application or what the HESS process is like.

Thanks, appreciate the help. :)

• Yes
  • No
  • If your GPA is good, put it in there. If it's bad leave it out. edit: If it's still above 3.0 I'd list it alongside your major GPA
  • Not really. They give you a blood test (all English teachers have to undergo one) upon arriving before you can get your resident card but it's mostly tested for AIDS and a couple other nasty diseases. They aren't going to run it for cannabinoids, but perhaps other harder drugs in high enough doses would appear? I'm no hematologist but unless you're going all Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas with your body I don't think it'll show.
  • Talk up any teaching experience you have, even if it's being a TA in high school. Also talk up experience with kids. Use common sense when replying to any scenario questions like "What would you do if a kid starts crying?" so you build to more serious steps like first talking to him quietly in English while the class is busy, then getting the CT involved and let the kid speak Chinese, then have the kid leave the room with the CT.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

USDA Choice posted:

• Yes
  • No
  • If your GPA is good, put it in there. If it's bad leave it out. edit: If it's still above 3.0 I'd list it alongside your major GPA
  • Not really. They give you a blood test (all English teachers have to undergo one) upon arriving before you can get your resident card but it's mostly tested for AIDS and a couple other nasty diseases. They aren't going to run it for cannabinoids, but perhaps other harder drugs in high enough doses would appear? I'm no hematologist but unless you're going all Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas with your body I don't think it'll show.
  • Talk up any teaching experience you have, even if it's being a TA in high school. Also talk up experience with kids. Use common sense when replying to any scenario questions like "What would you do if a kid starts crying?" so you build to more serious steps like first talking to him quietly in English while the class is busy, then getting the CT involved and let the kid speak Chinese, then have the kid leave the room with the CT.

Thanks for the response. :)

I feel like I've got a compelling background for being a strong candidate: when I studied abroad in northern India in Fall 2010 I volunteered and taught English to Tibetan monks for two months (is that a no-no in Taiwan like it is in mainland?), I've got 4 years of (albeit really rusty) college Mandarin under my belt, I was born abroad and have lived in a few places abroad, I got a scholarship to Korea in 2011 for a Spring Break Youth Exchange program, etc.

While I'm Taiwan, would there be possible opportunities (or that I could make) to volunteer and get work in copywriting while I'm teaching English for my day-job? How open are marketing/creative departments in Taiwanese companies to that sort of thing?

Also, it looks here that I need to do a short teaching demo over Skype. Has anyone had any difficulty with this part? How long did the overall process from submission of application to arriving in Taiwan take?

Are there outlets for English writers of fiction and poetry in Taiwan (eg communities, slam poetry, publication, etc)? I also would be highly interested in volunteering for Amnesty International in Taipei if I can get placed there.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Sep 5, 2014

BottledBacon
Sep 4, 2011

The same great taste with none of the chewing!

TheRamblingSoul posted:

Thanks for the response. :)

I feel like I've got a compelling background for being a strong candidate: when I studied abroad in northern India in Fall 2010 I volunteered and taught English to Tibetan monks for two months (is that a no-no in Taiwan like it is in mainland?), I've got 4 years of (albeit really rusty) college Mandarin under my belt, I was born abroad and have lived in a few places abroad, I got a scholarship to Korea in 2011 for a Spring Break Youth Exchange program, etc.

While I'm Taiwan, would there be possible opportunities (or that I could make) to volunteer and get work in copywriting while I'm teaching English for my day-job? How open are marketing/creative departments in Taiwanese companies to that sort of thing?

In terms of being able to get work while also teaching English, it's possible, I work in a job with no contract right now that would probably allow me doing other work, but I think with HESS if that's your chosen path it might be a little difficult. I get the impression from people who worked there that it's very by the book.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

BottledBacon posted:

In terms of being able to get work while also teaching English, it's possible, I work in a job with no contract right now, but I think with HESS if that's your chosen path it might be a little difficult.

Even if that's the case, are there opportunities to network and get involved with marketing professionals in Taiwan? I'll probably be busy between English teaching and studying Mandarin anyways, just curious.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

TheRamblingSoul posted:

Also, it looks here that I need to do a short teaching demo over Skype. Has anyone had any difficulty with this part? How long did the overall process from submission of application to arriving in Taiwan take?

You're taking Hess's standards far too seriously, your main qualification is that you're a native speaker, they don't much care beyond that. My application didn't include a teaching demo (I don't see how it would be practical) and I applied in September or October and was in the country in January. Sorry I can't answer your other questions.

BottledBacon posted:

In terms of being able to get work while also teaching English, it's possible, I work in a job with no contract right now that would probably allow me doing other work, but I think with HESS if that's your chosen path it might be a little difficult. I get the impression from people who worked there that it's very by the book.

This an over-polite way of putting it, but I don't think it's the main thing stopping you from doing other jobs; that'd be the fact you can probably only work mornings.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Do HESS schools mainly teach kids from kindergarten to early elementary (or the equivalent)? I get along really, really well with kids and I think I'd do really well in a class teaching kids looking at the class videos. :)

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

TheRamblingSoul posted:

I get along really, really well with kids and I think I'd do really well in a class teaching kids looking at the class videos. :)
McDonald's burgers look real tasty in their videos too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

TetsuoTW posted:

McDonald's burgers look real tasty in their videos too.

True, but the point still stands, I enjoy working with kids even under bad circumstances.