Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Ometeotl posted:

Looks like Dedede might have a new final smash:

That's so close to a Captain Syrup bomb:

I'm just glad to see Dedede get a new Final Smash. As entertaining as his old one was, it was nearly worthless. After seeing DK still saddled with Donkey Konga and Rosalina's Final Smash being so weak and limited I feared the worst. I should have never doubted our king.

I also humbly repost my only worthwhile contribution to the previous thread:

Suspicious Cook fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Sep 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Yes, this is awesome, glad you are starting to agree. :)

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

What kind of dumb idiot would not agree that Wind Waker is great?

Kinda weird that DDD's final smash is just a regular-looking skull bomb when it should be one of those walking bombs that give Kirby the Crash ability:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I hope Toon Link gets a selfie taunt.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'm going to scream if this isn't in

Holy poo poo it's so good.

TheComicFiend
Oct 4, 2013

Let's Survive
http://imgur.com/a/F3lzv
Stupidly-angled photos of a guide that's floating around in Japan. I wonder if this came with a magazine?

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
It looks like the "starter guide" or something that came out a couple of days ago.

That being said:

Is this actually telling us what the hell that tin pin slammer thing is?

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Your title was so old it used HTML which isn't even allowed in titles anymore what the hell

TheComicFiend posted:

http://imgur.com/a/F3lzv
Stupidly-angled photos of a guide that's floating around in Japan. I wonder if this came with a magazine?

This guide would be a lot better if instead of rectangles it was triangles, half circles and trapezoids randomly strewn about empty space.

TheComicFiend
Oct 4, 2013

Let's Survive
Yeah, my crappy translation of it is:

Battle rivals that you pass(streetpass)!
Knock other pieces off of the stage!
Knock a lot to get gold!

I'm guessing it's another way to earn coins. I was hoping to get AI ghosts from streetpass or somethin, but this is sorta cool.

Volty
Jul 25, 2013
I want to know what the text for DDD's new final smash is, the picture doesn't explain much.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Volty posted:

I want to know what the text for DDD's new final smash is, the picture doesn't explain much.

Inhale enemies before delivering a flurry of hammer blows, presumably ending with a explosion.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Wild Knight posted:

It looks like the "starter guide" or something that came out a couple of days ago.

That being said:

Is this actually telling us what the hell that tin pin slammer thing is?

It's Tin Pin Slammer.

Not sure how hard it is to understand. Shuto Dan confirmed for Smash.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Space T Rex posted:

This guide would be a lot better if instead of rectangles it was triangles, half circles and trapezoids randomly strewn about empty space.

Lmao you have no loving clue what you're talking about

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

I adore it just off the intro. Whelp, time to go buy Kirby Fighters Deluxe.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Space T-Rex most definitely knows mote about UI development than a company that's been doing it since the 80s

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

TARDISman posted:

I adore it just off the intro. Whelp, time to go buy Kirby Fighters Deluxe.

Beware, Dedede drum dash has just as amazing music

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Space T Rex posted:

majormonotone posted:

shut up nerd

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Space T Rex posted:

Your posts would be better if they were just random shapes strewn about and not the text which contains your bad opinions.

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Your title was so old it used HTML which isn't even allowed in titles anymore what the hell
Jealous. I'm a design prodigy and you're all jealous.

So what was the consensus on Ice Climbers? Did we figure the 3DS couldn't handle it or that they'd become even more irrelevant? Cause as sad as I am to see them and their unique play-style go, I guess they had been irrelevant ever since melee anyway.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Space T Rex posted:

So what was the consensus on Ice Climbers? Did we figure the 3DS couldn't handle it or that they'd become even more irrelevant? Cause as sad as I am to see them and their unique play-style go, I guess they had been irrelevant ever since melee anyway.

Ice Climbers tech was just too powerful. It takes the NASA super computers to handle them, that's why they aren't in Smash 4 so far.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Space T Rex posted:

I guess they had been irrelevant ever since melee anyway.

They have never been relevant.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Rules for Acceptable UI
Menus should be arranged in descending alphabetical order ONLY. All icons must be identical in size and shape. Spacing between icons should be equal. Use only one font and one color, and restrain from excess color elsewhere that impacts readability.

DO NOT change any sizes, shapes, locations or colors, or most players will be unable to navigate the menu. Hew as close as possible to this milestone design:

e: in retrospect this is a bad post. but given all the discussion about the "final five" and select screen layout transformation GIFs, it doesn't seem a stretch to say that Smashers are quite fond of precise symmetry and equality and dislike things that are asymmetrical or unquantified.

Electromax fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Sep 5, 2014

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I played Ice Climber for the first time in NES Remix and it's got the worst platforming ever

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

I am being BULLIED!!

I will 1v1 any of you poor bastards.

Electromax posted:

e: in retrospect this is a bad post.

Needs more half circles.

Space T Rex fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Sep 5, 2014

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Space T Rex posted:

I am being BULLIED!!

I will 1v1 any of you poor bastards.

I'm going to loving annihilate you on the smashing field bitch

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Help Im Alive posted:

I played Ice Climber for the first time in NES Remix and it's got the worst platforming ever

Ice Climber falls in the same category as Super Mario Land for me, they were still learning. They both have weird clipping and physics.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
I'm going to assume that the Ice Climbers were cut because Rosalina is the same idea, mechanically, except executed way better.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Super Mario Land is terrible, but Super Mario Land 2 was insanely good.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I love Super Mario Land, despite its flaws. It had such catchy music and Tatanga was honestly a better bad guy than Bowser. I hope in the next Mario Galaxy game, good dad Bowser is just a friend, with all his kids, in some level on the journey that Rosalina sends you on to get rid of Tatanga, who stole a few of her stars.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Tin Pin Slammer is in this game we should be freaking out because that is amazing. Please have a Wii U version, please.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Tin Pin Slammer is in this game?

Tin Pin Slammer is in this game!?

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Electromax posted:

Rules for Acceptable UI
Menus should be arranged in descending alphabetical order ONLY. All icons must be identical in size and shape. Spacing between icons should be equal. Use only one font and one color, and restrain from excess color elsewhere that impacts readability.

DO NOT change any sizes, shapes, locations or colors, or most players will be unable to navigate the menu. Hew as close as possible to this milestone design:

e: in retrospect this is a bad post. but given all the discussion about the "final five" and select screen layout transformation GIFs, it doesn't seem a stretch to say that Smashers are quite fond of precise symmetry and equality and dislike things that are asymmetrical or unquantified.

You guys are really uptight about worshiping Sakurai for everything he does.

It's really simple. SINGLE PLAYER | MULTIPLAYER | ONLINE MULTI | SYNC WITH OTHERS | OPTIONS & EXTRAS

That's it! There's no argument of whether "Classic" counts as "Smash" or why there's a Games submenu on the opening menu of a video game. In fact, this exact thing is done in almost every good game out there, including Melee. This way, even if you have a boner for making all the items different shapes with different outlines and random fonts, it's actually still somewhat intuitive.

Nobody in this thread would be able to produce a convincing argument as to why Challenge is on the opening menu but Vault or Options isn't, much less why there's 3 completely different styles of icon on that same menu.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Broken Loose posted:

shut up nerd

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Broken Loose posted:

It's really simple. SINGLE PLAYER | MULTIPLAYER | ONLINE MULTI | SYNC WITH OTHERS | OPTIONS & EXTRAS

That's it! There's no argument of whether "Classic" counts as "Smash" or why there's a Games submenu on the opening menu of a video game. In fact, this exact thing is done in almost every good game out there, including Melee. This way, even if you have a boner for making all the items different shapes with different outlines and random fonts, it's actually still somewhat intuitive.

Nobody in this thread would be able to produce a convincing argument as to why Challenge is on the opening menu but Vault or Options isn't, much less why there's 3 completely different styles of icon on that same menu.

majormonotone posted:

shut up nerd

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
The menu doesn't matter because you're going to remember where everything is after like 2 hours.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hat Thoughts posted:

The menu doesn't matter because you're going to remember where everything is after like 2 hours.
More like two minutes.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Broken Loose posted:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Man even Sakurai himself has a really good ahegao.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Hat Thoughts posted:

You way overshot since 2 hours to master any menu system would be a terrible benchmark for quality. Your point stands tho, everyone will figure it out quickly then never spend more than 10 seconds on these screens anyway. It still is really bad design tho, sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

A fun game with a silly menu? NOOOOOOOOOOO!

• Locked thread