Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, 12 hour battery life is a dealbreaker for me as well if that's true. It needs to last at minimum from the time I get up on a workday to when I'm likely to go to bed on a weekend (so, say 8-2). So, as mentioned, at LEAST 18 hours.

12 hours isn't going to cut it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I FUCKING HATE POOR PEOPLE BUT I LOVE BEING FUCKED IN THE ASS and having two dishwashers in my CONDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It started out where I was ready to put in my credit card this morning, then I was like, eh, I really don't like leather watch bands, I think I will hold off until the metal, I dunno, I will probably go to Best Buy and see the leather in person and see if I just want to add the metal later.

Then we get to 12 hour battery life, you have to be loving kidding me, that is bury the lede. I'm fine with charging every night, that complaint didn't make much sense to me, I charge my phone every night, I don't wear a watch when I sleep, I have no problem throwing the watch on the charger every night. BUt 12 hours? Nope, I'm not charging my watch twice a day every day under any circumstance.

I think I am going to agree with the 18 hours, a firm 18 hours worst case.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Arstechnica is going to have their full, in depth review up Sunday night. So, hopefully we'll get a bit more specifics on battery life other than "always dies after 12 hours" that we're getting now.

My question is, is that 12 hours when the thing is in ambient mode with the display always on? If so, and it's substantially longer when the display is allowed to sleep, that's something I can deal with.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Was the OLED screen just a rumor, or something they actually mentioned? If the latter, I'm quite curious as to why that changed, as I'd imagine that would make a significant difference to the battery life.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

hooah posted:

Was the OLED screen just a rumor, or something they actually mentioned?

They never actually mentioned. No specs at all were talked about prior to the release, just hands on demos.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I have a bunch of watches I wear at different times, so I'll probably just add the 360 to the rotation and wear it a few days a week to work or while I bike. I wonder how the battery will fare when it ages, and if there's a way to replace it, since a watch (even a relatively cheap one at $250) is meant to last nearly forever.

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

Lock this thread until September 9th.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
Probate cremnob until the 10th.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

butt dickus posted:

Probate cremnob until the 10th.

Of December 2050

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Right, because there's nothing worth talking about until Apple (maybe) unveils their God device. :rolleyes:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Any word on what these things are running? L developer preview? I'm just wondering if the Project Volta battery gains stuff (and whatever ART helps with, although it might be under the same umbrella) is in place yet

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If they were testing them at the event they were using 2014 Xs and Gs running 4.4.4 I assume.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Decided to pick up the 360 to see if I like wearables. Their ordering system is either flooded with nerds like me or is wonky .. its gone from available to backordered about 4 times within a few minutes.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Decided to pick up the 360 to see if I like wearables. Their ordering system is either flooded with nerds like me or is wonky .. its gone from available to backordered about 4 times within a few minutes.

Just ordered successfully from Best Buy.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Reverse Centaur posted:

G Watch R hands on. Can't decide what I think of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pTL5Hfhgec

I like the general aesthetic, but it's a little too solidly thick for my tastes.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I can't even find it on Best Buy's site.

Do any locations actually have them on hand in store today?

As dumb as it sounds, I would be more inclined to get a 360 if I could have it in hand today. If I have to order, i'm going to wait till I get back from vacation and see what some longer term reviews are like.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I keep refreshing bestbuy.com and it won't show up for sale :(

I have gift cards to apply and really want to pick this thing up after work today.

*Update* It's on the site, but not in stock in any nearby stores (southern california). Crap!

eyebeem fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Sep 5, 2014

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I have my order in on the moto site and delivery is expected for 9/10 so we will see.

eyebeem posted:

I keep refreshing bestbuy.com and it won't show up for sale :(

I have gift cards to apply and really want to pick this thing up after work today.

It all looks to be ship to store. I don't know they actually have them in stock at any.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

I'd have to try it on, but I think it's possible that if the Hint isn't too stupid looking I'd rather have that then a 360 or any other smartwatch.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

bull3964 posted:

I can't even find it on Best Buy's site.

Do any locations actually have them on hand in store today?

As dumb as it sounds, I would be more inclined to get a 360 if I could have it in hand today. If I have to order, i'm going to wait till I get back from vacation and see what some longer term reviews are like.

No NYC locations have it. The Union Square BB is huge, so if anyone had it, it'd be that one.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Jerk McJerkface posted:

No NYC locations have it. The Union Square BB is huge, so if anyone had it, it'd be that one.

Oh well. I'm leaving on the 12th for the beach for a week so I can wait until after I get back. Hopefully they'll have them in store by then and we'll have a better understanding on how they work.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

hotsauce posted:

If it's true that it needs two charges to get through a single day, this thing is DOA at any price.

How many are reporting the battery life is that poor?

I won a Samsung watch at a Hackathon and it died pretty quickly the first couple days I had it - mainly because I was playing with it nonstop. Normal usage (after the initial toy phase wore off) gave much better battery life. Still had to charge it every night, but it was more like 10-20% when I was getting ready for bed.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Well, I can add to cart at best buy and go through the entire purchase process, but then get a message stating that the watch is out of stock. Boourns.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Glimm posted:

Right now, we just have the WSJ and The Verge.

I'm not even sure how they had them long enough in order to come to that determination. There was just 11:30 hours between the Chicago event and the embargo lift unless some outlets had them before the event.

But yeah, expect some more longer term reviews to come filter in over the next week and we'll have a better idea how it stacks up. I simply can't imagine anyone at Motorola saying "12 hours is good enough, let's ship" with all the rest of the care going into this device and others.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Glimm posted:

I won a Samsung watch at a Hackathon and it died pretty quickly the first couple days I had it - mainly because I was playing with it nonstop. Normal usage (after the initial toy phase wore off) gave much better battery life. Still had to charge it every night, but it was more like 10-20% when I was getting ready for bed.

THis is exactly what I am thinking. It's a new toy and battery life is going to be much worse because it's constantly being used.

However, we all know battery life isn't going to be stellar on a first generation device.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

bull3964 posted:

Right now, we just have the WSJ and The Verge.

I'm not even sure how they had them long enough in order to come to that determination. There was just 11:30 hours between the Chicago event and the embargo lift unless some outlets had them before the event.

But yeah, expect some more longer term reviews to come filter in over the next week and we'll have a better idea how it stacks up. I simply can't imagine anyone at Motorola saying "12 hours is good enough, let's ship" with all the rest of the care going into this device and others.

The Verge definitely had them before the past few days. There's several photos of a Verge "journalist" doing unrelated things while wearing the Moto360.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Yeah, didn't he say in that video review that he'd had it a month+?

I'm also going to hold off until more reviews roll in, but I'm still really considering buying one. I just accepted a new job (this is going to be a little self congratulation gift), so it'll be a few weeks until I get my first check anyway. My real problem is choosing between black and silver. The black one looks so much cleaner, but the silver is a little more "nothing to see here, just a watch", which I kind of like.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Availability on play is flipping between in stock and out, best buy is now showing out of stock.
I thought I would just stroll down to the local BB and pick one up, but nooo. Grrrr.

XIII posted:

My real problem is choosing between black and silver. The black one looks so much cleaner, but the silver is a little more "nothing to see here, just a watch", which I kind of like.
Im going silver as it looks more like a normal watch, but yeah thats my issue too.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

XIII posted:

Yeah, didn't he say in that video review that he'd had it a month+?

I'm also going to hold off until more reviews roll in, but I'm still really considering buying one. I just accepted a new job (this is going to be a little self congratulation gift), so it'll be a few weeks until I get my first check anyway. My real problem is choosing between black and silver. The black one looks so much cleaner, but the silver is a little more "nothing to see here, just a watch", which I kind of like.

I got the black, because I really want the black metal band. I already have a couple nice silver watches, so the black one rounds out my collection.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

One other doubt I have with The Verge is their Droid MAXX review. They claimed they got 4 hours less battery life with the MAXX compared to the prior year's HD MAXX which is silly as anyone who has owned the phones will tell you (Droid MAXX absolutely gets better battery life than the HD MAXX.)

Same reviewer too.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Silver ordered. I can always return it if I don't like it.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

motos site is getting hammered.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

hooah posted:

Right, because there's nothing worth talking about until Apple (maybe) unveils their God device. :rolleyes:
Not sure why you're rolling your eyes.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Last Chance posted:

Since it will probably work with iDevices only .. what's the point for Android users?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Last Chance posted:

Because there's more than one wearable ecosystem, so calling to close the thread until Apple's comes out (which no one's even sure of at this point) is silly.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

smackfu posted:

I like the general aesthetic, but it's a little too solidly thick for my tastes.

I think the G Watch R is my frontrunner now. The more videos I look at the more I like it. LG did it a disservice with those horrible initial photoshopped photos. Plus this is my current watch so obviously I'm ok with that style

I miss Android Wear. :( Dammn yooooou Motorola!!

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
The lovely battery life on the 360 is disappointing but not all that surprising. After all, these are the Epic 4Gs and Droid Bionics of the smartwatch world.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
Best Buy's website keeps taunting me with "In Stock" at stores near me but when I called the guy said they were sold out of 360s. =(

Edit: no longer available for backorder.
Guess I can wait on more trip reports before I shell out $$

w00tazn fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Sep 5, 2014

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001
lovely battery life is really surprising. I love my G watch, and it usually ends the day with about 70% battery left. I did turn off the always-on screen because I didn't want a constantly glowing thing on my wrist, but the screen wakes itself up if you raise the watch to look at it so it's not an inconvenience at all. I don't baby it either, I have every notification sent to it and use it as a navigational aid while biking a lot.

On that note: my current awesome wearables use-case is G watch on my wrist, Bluez bluetooth bone conduction headphones, and my phone in my jersey pocket while biking. Music, navigation, voice control, and one-handed quick reference on all that while still not being distracted from the actual task of not dying in traffic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Really, we just have one datapoint on battery life and that datapoint hasn't been reliable in the past when it comes to battery life. I'm not willing to say the sky is falling yet.

By the middle of next week, we should have a pretty good indication on whether or not 12 hours is the best case. Don't forget there's a moto Q&A session today, so they may address it there since that seems to be the number one question on everyone's mind right now.