Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Some kind of water damage- as if the water and sun burned the leaves?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

TheMightyHandful posted:

Some kind of water damage- as if the water and sun burned the leaves?

Yep, that can happen. Some plants are more susceptible to that than others. Basically, the water droplets act like magnifying glasses, and just like burning ants on the sidewalk, it can burn the leaves the same way.

Anoulie
Oct 8, 2013

kid sinister posted:

Yep, that can happen. Some plants are more susceptible to that than others. Basically, the water droplets act like magnifying glasses, and just like burning ants on the sidewalk, it can burn the leaves the same way.

Oooh. Interesting. So all I have to do is not let water get on the leaves?
What about the burned-looking leaf tips, though? Those never get water on it, and I stopped using tap water, too.

Pucklynn
Sep 8, 2010

chop chop chop
I just finished reading through this thread and I'm ready to show off my two plants that I'm so very proud of!

First up is an allium I bought at the local craft fair at the beginning of summer. It's been doing really well, and flowered about a month ago.

20140905_174159 by soulstealingbox, on Flickr

These are what's left of the flowers at this point.

20140905_174206 by soulstealingbox, on Flickr
Can I just pluck them off and take out the seeds, or should I wait until they all open?

This is an anise hyssop I grew from some seeds I got at the beekeeper's association.

20140905_174151 by soulstealingbox, on Flickr
This one was a bitch to germinate-- I filled two seed starter trays with these guys and I had a few sprout here and there, but most of them would die after a few days, either from too much or too little watering. That this guy survived long enough for me to get him into the pot was a miracle. Once he got established though, he's taken off like crazy. No flowers yet, but all I want right now is to keep these both alive over the winter. Suggestions for that? I live in Baltimore, don't know what zone that is.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
Both allium and the agastache will be fine overwinter in your zone. If they stay in the pot you might want to either keep the pot in a sheltered area or bury the pot so the roots don't freeze solid in a cold snap but that's really the only precaution you'd need to take.

Pogo the Clown
Sep 5, 2007
Spoke to the devil the other day

Anoulie posted:

Is this plant acne or something? What do I do, goons?

I found a few posts on gardenweb (here, here, and here) that seemed to be the same issue, and they all had similar suggestions. The most common issues appear to be over watering/bad drainage. Everybody seems to be suggesting:

1) if you are misting, stop doing that, it spreads fungal spores
2) make sure you aren't accidentally over watering/fertilizing
3) Dracaena need well drained soils, so consider re-potting with suitable soil and make sure your pot has a drain hole
4) rotate plant every week so all sides get equal sun

Pogo the Clown fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Sep 6, 2014

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Pogo the Clown posted:

4) rotate plant every week so all sides get equal sun

Actually, this is good advice for any house plant. It helps all plants grow more evenly.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Any idea how I can get a few kudzu seeds? I'd like to try growing in indoors, fry some leaves up, make a salad, and generally have a houseplant that grows faster than bamboo..

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I couldn't find a thread for asking about plants so I'm going to post here.

In case I'm wrong, here's a picture so the post isn't a complete waste.

Some kind of peach tree. It had two friends but one died of what I suspect to be termites and the other from ???
Back story. We bought the house off the bank 5 or so years ago as a deceased estate. It had been sitting vacant a couple of years before that. The garden was in poor shape when we got it. For many reasons in the last month is really the first bit of work we have been able to put into bringing the yard back to life.

This work unfortunately involved cutting down all the bottlebrushes for allergy reasons. I won't lie. I really, really hated doing that. It's also really upset my youngest child and kind of broke him. He tries to climb the pile of branches that is made of the trees he used to climb :( It's also left the front of the yard, and some bits against the house horribly exposed. I'm kind of desperate to find trees to replace them.

My requirements are:
*Relatively non toxic.
*Not allergy nightmares.
*No thorns or other real nasties.
*Nice foliage, blossoms or whatever.
*Doesn't grow very tall.
*Fairly dense branches / foliage for privacy and shade.
*Can live in clay.
*Drought / heat / sun resistant.

I live in Australia on the plains by the way. Depending on who you talk to it could be called the outback.

Fun list, hey?
Any ideas what meets all these requirements?

So anyway the yard is coming along slowly. It may look like a bit of a wreck but in relative terms it looks great. I've nearly finished weeding and tilling and fertilizing the vegetable garden for the seedlings in the greenhouse. There's now a rose garden with ground cover. My succulent garden has been mostly cleared out again, the long planned tropical section has also started to be planted out. Funds are scarce so progress is slow but it's intended to be a sanctuary, so it's worth it.

e: Proofread posts. duh

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

7thBatallion posted:

Any idea how I can get a few kudzu seeds? I'd like to try growing in indoors, fry some leaves up, make a salad, and generally have a houseplant that grows faster than bamboo..

Does it grow wild near you? Most of the kudzu around here has fruit right now. Lovely hairy pods.

That70sHeidi
Aug 16, 2009
I want to save this lantana indoors for next year but I don't know if it will live.

My favorite gazania

They tended to fade out from vibrant to pastels though, which is nice.

And after a scary die-off and dry-up, they rebounded with more blooms but smaller blooms.

Also, my mother haaaates my gazanias. We just got some mums to put in the planters in lieu of the failing petunias (they got some caterpillars on them) and she said why not put the mums in the hanging planters (my gazzies) instead. Like, bitch WHUUUUT? Ugh.

My alyssum from seed sprouted like monsters because I didn't pinch them back, but I like the leggy look in amongst the professionally grown ones. I neglected to get a picture today, though; one of the clumps is about a foot across and full of fluff.

The driveway alyssum took off as well. Very pleased, smells great.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

General_Failure posted:

I live in Australia on the plains by the way. Depending on who you talk to it could be called the outback.

I was wondering how you would have a peach tree in bloom right now, but then your seasons are backwards in the Southern Hemisphere, aren't they...

Well I won't lie to you, most of the people ITT live in the US, and we follow a different hardiness scale than you all use. Luckily, I found a USDA zone hardiness map for Australia. Which our our Zones does it say you live in? That will help us narrow down choices for what would survive down under. (Sorry, couldn't resist)

http://www.wisdom-earth.com/includes/images/content/hardiness_zones/aus_zone_map.jpg

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Sep 9, 2014

Bina
Dec 28, 2011

Love Deluxe
So, I got a Wandering Jew for my birthday, and since I've moved, I've come very particular to having indoor plants.

I really enjoy the built-in saucer style pots, and was wondering if anyone could recommend a ceramic hanging planter with a built in drain plate?

The W.Jew is in a 6" pot currently, and I would like a pot I can water from the base while hanging.

Would it be safe structure wise to put a pot of this style in a macrame style hangar, and not have it fall out?

Pogo the Clown
Sep 5, 2007

General_Failure posted:

My requirements are:
*Relatively non toxic.
*Not allergy nightmares.
*Doesn't grow very tall.
*Can live in clay.

G'day! Fellow Australian here. First thing that comes to mind is a Lilly Pilly. Pretty hardy once established, thick foliage, the berries are non-toxic (although a bit messy), and responds well to shape pruning. There a a few cultivars so you could pick one that suits your style.

Pogo the Clown fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Sep 9, 2014

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

There are a few

General_Failure posted:

I couldn't find a thread for asking about plants so I'm going to post here.

In case I'm wrong, here's a picture so the post isn't a complete waste.

Some kind of peach tree. It had two friends but one died of what I suspect to be termites and the other from ???
Back story. We bought the house off the bank 5 or so years ago as a deceased estate. It had been sitting vacant a couple of years before that. The garden was in poor shape when we got it. For many reasons in the last month is really the first bit of work we have been able to put into bringing the yard back to life.

This work unfortunately involved cutting down all the bottlebrushes for allergy reasons. I won't lie. I really, really hated doing that. It's also really upset my youngest child and kind of broke him. He tries to climb the pile of branches that is made of the trees he used to climb :( It's also left the front of the yard, and some bits against the house horribly exposed. I'm kind of desperate to find trees to replace them.

My requirements are:
*Relatively non toxic.
*Not allergy nightmares.
*Doesn't grow very tall.
*Can live in clay.

Fun list, hey?
Any ideas what meets all these requirements?

We planted agonis burgundy. It's an native and it is super hardy- certainly didn't need much love or attention, didn't mind clay soil or care about water. We used it to create some privacy it grows to about 2m. Sorry about the awful pic- there are a few better ones on google images.

Sun Dog
Dec 25, 2002

Old School Gamer.

This thread has grown well, with so many talented gardeners to help it! It took me a while to catch back up, but the trip was grand!

Sorry for replying to stale content...

Kenning posted:

Sundews and Pinguicula loving wreck gnats btw.

I've been invaded by some kind of gnat that wrecks THEM. Never seen the like. Only things that survived were the Aussie fork-leafs (Drosera binata), probably because their dormant form is especially tough. But they were coming up smaller and smaller.

My cure was to take a No-Pest strip, cut off about a 12mm slice it, and cut that into cubes. I took a gumball capsule and made some holes in one end of the capsule. I put a few of the No-Pest strip cubes into the capsule and set it on the soil of an afflicted pot, holes down, for about three days. Moved it around from pot to pot wherever I saw soil gnat activity.

You have to re-treat a pot at least once, so that you don't miss newly-hatched vermin. Three days on, three days off, then three days on again. Just like treating snake mites.

Bonus: Not finding gnats swimming in my coffee cup anymore!

The pots look drenched because I'd just added some water to check for gnat activity. They'd hop all around whenever I would add water.

Kenning posted:

Drosera burmannii caught a fly! Click for big big.

I love how you can so clearly see the fringe of snap tentacles on the one leaf. Nice work!

Kenning posted:

So my competition pot of Drosera burmannii is coloring up really well in advance of the BACPS Annual Show and Sale on the 21st.

Oh, how yummy! Now I want one too!

Tremors posted:

My Synsepalum dulcificum is fruiting! :toot:

Mine is still alive, has added four or five leaves. Can't wait for fruit! How old is this thing? How long do I have to wait?

(This is the same picture I already posted from when I got it. Sorry, no current picture, I really should take one.)

vanmartin
Feb 2, 2005
WWBD?

That70sHeidi posted:

Also, my mother haaaates my gazanias. We just got some mums to put in the planters in lieu of the failing petunias (they got some caterpillars on them) and she said why not put the mums in the hanging planters (my gazzies)

Gazanias are one of my favourite flowers and they're native to my country which is an added bonus. I love the fact that they'll flower in shaded areas too, really livens up the darker corners of a garden. I recently experimented with a hügelkultur raised bed in a bone dry and shady area of our garden and the first thing I planted on the mound was gazanias and of the 16 I planted only one isn't flowering. The rest are thriving.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.

That70sHeidi posted:

I want to save this lantana indoors for next year but I don't know if it will live.

Where are you located? Some are hardy to the southern US.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

unprofessional posted:

Where are you located? Some are hardy to the southern US.

...and super invasive there too.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!

Sun Dog posted:

Mine is still alive, has added four or five leaves. Can't wait for fruit! How old is this thing? How long do I have to wait?

(This is the same picture I already posted from when I got it. Sorry, no current picture, I really should take one.)

The nursery I ordered it from said it was 3 years old. I believe they can begin fruiting at 2.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Got these little white bugs all over a six year old African Violet. No clue what they are, but there are also aphids on the drat thing.

http://imgur.com/fFSKFbb
What are they, and how do I kill them?

Kilo147 fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Sep 10, 2014

Strongylocentrotus
Jan 24, 2007

Nab him, jab him, tab him, grab him - stop that pigeon NOW!
No idea, 7thBatallion, I'm sorry. Any chance they might be springtails?

Euphorbia question! I recently acquired a bitty Euphorbia milii 'Lemon Drops', maybe 3 or 4 inches tall at most. I hope to bonsai the little thing someday. It has been going gangbusters and putting out new leaves all summer, but I've also noticed that the thorns/spines seem very soft and un-thornlike to the touch. As in, poke a thorn and it bends or folds, even the thorns on the newest growth. Is that normal for Euphorbia? Or is something wrong?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

That's normal for E. milli. They'll harden up in time. Euphorbia thorns are modified branches, so think of them as fresh green wood at first. Cactus spines (which are modified leaves) are a bit different, in that they start out hard and rigid.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Strongylocentrotus posted:

No idea, 7thBatallion, I'm sorry. Any chance they might be springtails?

Euphorbia question! I recently acquired a bitty Euphorbia milii 'Lemon Drops', maybe 3 or 4 inches tall at most. I hope to bonsai the little thing someday. It has been going gangbusters and putting out new leaves all summer, but I've also noticed that the thorns/spines seem very soft and un-thornlike to the touch. As in, poke a thorn and it bends or folds, even the thorns on the newest growth. Is that normal for Euphorbia? Or is something wrong?

No way they are springtails. They are far smaller, barely move if at all, are fuzzy, and at least one looks like a little white scorpion. They are just bigger than the eye of a needle.

And they all must die.

Pogo the Clown
Sep 5, 2007

7thBatallion posted:

No way they are springtails. They are far smaller, barely move if at all, are fuzzy, and at least one looks like a little white scorpion. They are just bigger than the eye of a needle.

And they all must die.

Mealybugs? A Google image search brings up a few similar looking photos.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I've got a group of sundews living in one pot. Drosera aliciae, Drosera tokaiensis, and my favorite, Drosera allantostigma. They've been growing together since I received them all in a pot together in January and repotted everything without knowing anything. It's been fun watching them grow up!

In case you're curious, in that last photo D. aliciae are on either side, D. tokaiensis is right in the middle, and D. allantostigma is front and center.

Kenning fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Sep 10, 2014

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

7thBatallion posted:

Got these little white bugs all over a six year old African Violet. No clue what they are, but there are also aphids on the drat thing.

http://imgur.com/fFSKFbb
What are they, and how do I kill them?

Spider mites?

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Sorry I took so long.

Recap. After small, safe bushy trees. Australian.

Okay after spending waaay too long comparing between that map and Google maps I think I live in a zone 9b, near the edge of zone 10.

Pogo the Clown posted:

G'day! Fellow Australian here. First thing that comes to mind is a Lilly Pilly. Pretty hardy once established, thick foliage, the berries are non-toxic (although a bit messy), and responds well to shape pruning. There a a few cultivars so you could pick one that suits your style.

Lilly Pillys are a winner of an idea. I know they would survive. There's already four very well established trees in the yard which I believe to be a variety of Lilly Pilly. The berries on these ones aren't edible. Trust me. I've tasted them. I've only ever seen my son make that mistake once way back too. I'll give that some consideration. Any idea what varieties? At the nursery yesterday I noticed they had some, but they were very manicured small ones shaped with spherical tops. I'm guessing those are sold as features for gardens, paths, driveways etc.

TheMightyHandful posted:

We planted agonis burgundy. It's an native and it is super hardy- certainly didn't need much love or attention, didn't mind clay soil or care about water. We used it to create some privacy it grows to about 2m. Sorry about the awful pic- there are a few better ones on google images.

That's another good suggestion. Thanks for that!

We also looked at weeping birch "Youngii" as an option for one of the trees.

Something I just realised is somehow one of the bottle brushes grew up between the water pipes without destroying them. I guess invasiveness of roots is one to consider for one of the trees. That's going to be a bitch.

We're in the process of organizing getting our absolutely dead front fence replaced with a colourbond one in the near future. When that's done we've been considering the options for that. Possibly creepers, or even vertical planters in parts because of the aspect. The sun would never hit the outside of the fence, so it shouldn't cook any plants hanging on it.

The visit to the nursery yesterday was expensive but worth it. Got more ground cover, more flowering things, a succulent and this Pieris "Dorothy Wyckoff".

My phone doesn't do the colours justice. This was the main cost of the day. Both of us wanted it. Last time they had one it disappeared very quickly.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
If you really want a colorful Pieris, get a Flaming Silver:

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
Some questions about some of the plants I own.

This one has been flowering the last few weeks. Is there a proper way to propagate it while it's flowering? I've tried to propagate it once through a leaf cutting like other succulents, but was unsuccessful.

What are these little white specs on this little guy. I first thought they were an insect infestation (and they sort of look like it under a magnifying glass), but they never move and I haven't seen any adults or other bugs.

The pup that came off my air plant seems to be growing a root, which I didn't know they could do. Is there something I should do with it?

Thanks.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

TheLastManStanding posted:

Some questions about some of the plants I own.

What are these little white specs on this little guy. I first thought they were an insect infestation (and they sort of look like it under a magnifying glass), but they never move and I haven't seen any adults or other bugs.

Thanks.

Same things I have on my African Violets and Nematanthus.

Strongylocentrotus
Jan 24, 2007

Nab him, jab him, tab him, grab him - stop that pigeon NOW!

Kenning posted:

That's normal for E. milli. They'll harden up in time. Euphorbia thorns are modified branches, so think of them as fresh green wood at first. Cactus spines (which are modified leaves) are a bit different, in that they start out hard and rigid.

Good stuff, thank you for the Euphorbia lesson. It's a relief to know mine's flaccid thorns are normal for its age and are not the result of over- or under-watering (always a fear of mine with succulents in small pots).

TheLastManStanding posted:

The pup that came off my air plant seems to be growing a root, which I didn't know they could do. Is there something I should do with it?

Thanks.

That's normal for an air plant. It's technically a root but not in the traditional sense: most Tillandsias use their roots only as holdfasts/anchors on whatever surface (tree, rock, etc.) they're growing on. The roots have no role in taking up water or nutrients; that job is performed by the leaves.

If you've got something that holds moisture (cork, bark, rock) that you want to permanently mount your pup to, you can gently tie the plant down until the root takes hold (see these instructions). Or if you don't want to keep the root, you can just trim it off, no harm done.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
^^ Thanks, I'll probably just lop it off. ^^

7thBatallion posted:

I looked at your post history and it seems to match your description, except I can't make out any features on mine (the plant in the picture is only an inch wide, which should give you some scale as to how extremely tiny the white specs are). Have you noticed them migrating at all? As far as I can tell the specs never move, only one plant in the planter that has them, and there isn't any damage to the plant. It's bizarre.

Edit: Got out my set of extension tubes to take some pics. Didn't get a good pic, but they are definitely bugs.

TheLastManStanding fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Sep 11, 2014

Pogo the Clown
Sep 5, 2007

General_Failure posted:

Lilly Pillys are a winner of an idea. I know they would survive. There's already four very well established trees in the yard which I believe to be a variety of Lilly Pilly. The berries on these ones aren't edible. Trust me. I've tasted them. I've only ever seen my son make that mistake once way back too. I'll give that some consideration. Any idea what varieties? At the nursery yesterday I noticed they had some, but they were very manicured small ones shaped with spherical tops. I'm guessing those are sold as features for gardens, paths, driveways etc.

Sorry, I'm not familiar enough with the different cultivars to suggest a specific one. I do know that some are more resistant to psyllids than others, so I would start with that.

Also, I thought of your question today when I saw a nice Hakea hedge at work. I haven't seen too many hakeas used that way, so it might be something a bit different to consider. A bit of Googling suggests that Pincushion Hakea is a good one.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
For folks with aphids and spider mites, get some neem oil. Organic substance that works very well on insect pests. It won't harm your plants and is quite cheap on Amazon.

upsciLLion
Feb 9, 2006

Bees?

7thBatallion posted:

I'm pretty sure the white bits are empty aphid exoskeletons. If you find live ones, try spraying them with rubbing alcohol. I've used it in the past with reasonable success.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

kid sinister posted:

If you really want a colorful Pieris, get a Flaming Silver:

We both took to the Dorothy Wyckoff because it isn't. The flowers are a kid of creamy off white and the bases are a sort of pinky brown. That combined with the smaller leaves that seem to almost grow radially it's quite eye catching.

Pogo the Clown posted:

Sorry, I'm not familiar enough with the different cultivars to suggest a specific one. I do know that some are more resistant to psyllids than others, so I would start with that.

Also, I thought of your question today when I saw a nice Hakea hedge at work. I haven't seen too many hakeas used that way, so it might be something a bit different to consider. A bit of Googling suggests that Pincushion Hakea is a good one.

Those are good suggestions. I do have concerns about about allergies. If I can find any flowering currently it's the easiest way to find out I guess.

Unrelated but the front fence should be going up in a couple of weeks. Totally forgot but there's heaps of sunflowers in the greenhouse ready to go in along the fenceline once it's in.
Also because of our unprecedented nearly 100% germination rate we have a problem. Something like 10 tomato trees germinated. I have no drat idea what to do with them. Usually germination rates are pretty low for anything but it's been a good year. Even the ground covers that have been planted in the past month are visibly growing every day. Added bonus is they started flowering too.

The.Big.Dirty.Emu
May 2, 2009
How do people handle indoor planters without drainage holes?

I have two maidenhair ferns I would like to plant up in a few cast iron pots I've acquired, but I'm a bit worried about them having adequate drainage. Is it sufficient to fill the first 1/3rd of the pots with styrofoam and be sure not to overwater?

upsciLLion
Feb 9, 2006

Bees?

The.Big.Dirty.Emu posted:

I have two maidenhair ferns I would like to plant up in a few cast iron pots I've acquired, but I'm a bit worried about them having adequate drainage. Is it sufficient to fill the first 1/3rd of the pots with styrofoam and be sure not to overwater?

I can't say for certain how well that will work, but I would worry about salt accumulation in the potting mix if you aren't able to properly flush it ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

The.Big.Dirty.Emu posted:

You can still drill cast iron. Get a 1/2" cobalt steel bit and go to town. Drainage fixed.