Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Ursus Veritas posted:

...Criminal Minds..."Normal"...

This was passed over by most other posters, but this. Normal is the best episode Criminal Minds ever had. It's very stand alone, and amazing. I don't watch it anymore, but I can't really say the show it bad because there was a time when it produced an episode like that. If you only watch one episode, make it this one. And then realize it'll never be that good again. (The Reaper plot was pretty good, too, but multi-episode and definitely not standalone.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
An article on The Simpsons-Futurama crossover episode.

quote:

The crossover—which features Futurama voicecast members Billy West, John DiMaggio, Katey Sagal, Lauren Tom, Phil LaMarr, Tress MacNeille, and Maurice LaMarche—will unspool a complex, Terminator-esque story that involves Bart blowing his nose on a sandwich that he places in a time capsule. When that mixes with Milhouse’s rabbit’s foot and some radioactive ooze, it creates a global catastrophe in the future, prompting Bender to travel back in time to kill Bart and prevent this mega-mess. And as you’d imagine, “Simpsorama” teems with Futurama inside jokes and a Simpsonized tweak of its title sequence. Adds Jean: “There’s a thing in Futurama code where if you solve it, it says, ‘Congratulations! You’re a nerd.’”

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
You're the Worst had it's single best episode last night, it's so far beyond Married in terms of quality it isn't even funny. They way Gretchen's face moved in the ring scene was good, They way Lindsay died inside every second of the day because she hosed up her marriage and she knows it was amazing.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I watched most of the first season of Trailer Park Boys a couple weeks ago and while it had its moments, I couldn't quite get into it enough to continue watching. Is it anything like P&R where it finds its footing in its second/later seasons? Or is it just one of those things that if I can't get into it by the first season, it's probably not for me?

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
I think it gets a little better as it goes along as they get a better feel for the characters, but outside of Bubbles gradually becoming a more prominent character, not much ever changes about the show.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

DivisionPost posted:

Yes, I'm about 8 minutes into this episode and I'm not feeling it, so I did something amazing: I turned it off. I figure it can't bother you if you don't watch it.

This is one of those 'my girlfriend has deemed us watching this together' activities. I think she's trolling me.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
So the Walking Dead spin-off show "companion series" got its pilot greenlit. Kind of weird to make just a completely different show set in the same world but in a different place and with different characters, but it's not exactly surprising. Kind of worried about them having to split potentially cool ideas between two shows given how often the main show seems to lose momentum during a season and spin its wheels for stretches of episodes, but hopefully it'll be different enough that that won't be a huge issue.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/09/05/walking-dead-companion-series/?hootPostID=68285635b15f2d690fe2d0ff66bdd097

Get ready for twice as many TWD threads!

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

VDay posted:

So the Walking Dead spin-off show "companion series" got its pilot greenlit. Kind of weird to make just a completely different show set in the same world but in a different place and with different characters, but it's not exactly surprising. Kind of worried about them having to split potentially cool ideas between two shows given how often the main show seems to lose momentum during a season and spin its wheels for stretches of episodes, but hopefully it'll be different enough that that won't be a huge issue.

So now we have two shows beating the same tedious zombie apocalypse drum? My only hope is that the showrunner has a genuinely different vision for the themes of the show, otherwise I'll pass on watching yet more attempts at rebuilding civilization fall through because it's us, we are The Walking Dead.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The Syfy zombie show Z-Nation starts next week. The description of the pilot talks about a zombie babie, so maybe like Dead Alive?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

GreenNight posted:

The Syfy zombie show Z-Nation starts next week. The description of the pilot talks about a zombie babie, so maybe like Dead Alive?

The trailer was posted a while back. It looks as if it may be a top contender for worst show of the year.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah I'm definitely gonna check it out.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

VDay posted:

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/09/05/walking-dead-companion-series/?hootPostID=68285635b15f2d690fe2d0ff66bdd097

Get ready for twice as many TWD threads!
Actual original characters that rarely intersect the comics at all sound interesting (see Telltale's TWD) but I'll have to see it to believe it if AMC execs were 'excited' by a script. Those execs will jump on anything if they hope it's a surefire hit (and coming off TWD, it's a given). That being said I will give it a fair shake but it better be drastically different enough to warrant a second parallel series.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Deadpool posted:

The trailer was posted a while back. It looks as if it may be a top contender for worst show of the year.

Wasn't it produced by The Asylum?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Sober posted:

Actual original characters that rarely intersect the comics at all sound interesting (see Telltale's TWD) but I'll have to see it to believe it if AMC execs were 'excited' by a script. Those execs will jump on anything if they hope it's a surefire hit (and coming off TWD, it's a given). That being said I will give it a fair shake but it better be drastically different enough to warrant a second parallel series.

It should just be the game plot.

They could knock out a whole season about the hotel and bandits.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

DivisionPost posted:

Wasn't it produced by The Asylum?

Yup!

That alone gets me to watch the pilot.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

The Midniter posted:

I watched most of the first season of Trailer Park Boys a couple weeks ago and while it had its moments, I couldn't quite get into it enough to continue watching. Is it anything like P&R where it finds its footing in its second/later seasons? Or is it just one of those things that if I can't get into it by the first season, it's probably not for me?

Season 1 certainly has a bit of a different tone; from S2 onwards the show finds its rhythm and if you don't feel it by the end of S2 or the first half of S3 then the show probably isn't for you. I will say that TPB is awesome though, it's a great show for just choosing a random episode to sit down and watch.

I wouldn't really say it's all that similar to Parks aside from both shows get better as they go on. S1 Parks was just straight-up bad, they reinvented many of the characters and their traits for the better. TPB feels more like a gradual evolution from a solid foundation.

Lugaloco fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Sep 5, 2014

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Lugaloco posted:

Season 1 certainly has a bit of a different tone; from S2 onwards the show finds its rhythm and if you don't feel it by the end of S2 or the first half of S3 then the show probably isn't for you. I will say that TPB is awesome though, it's a great show for just choosing a random episode to sit down and watch.

I wouldn't really say it's all that similar to Parks aside from both shows get better as they go on. S1 Parks was just straight-up bad, they reinvented many of the characters and their traits for the better. TPB feels more like a gradual evolution from a solid foundation.

I will agree with this. Season 1 is the boys just getting into general crime and mischief; season 2 is when they start forming plans and schemes (Freedom 35, et al.).

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Sober posted:

Actual original characters that rarely intersect the comics at all sound interesting (see Telltale's TWD)

"Clem, clear that building full of zombies while I sit by the fire moodily contemplating my betrayal."
"Clem, go scrounge up food and water for the whole camp while we discuss what we should do next."
"Clem, we can't decide what to do next. What do you think we should do?"

Clem is an eight year-old girl.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

zoux posted:

Whoa a show Division Post doesn't like :wth:

That explains why the floor is ice cold. :ohdear:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Irish Joe posted:

"Clem, clear that building full of zombies while I sit by the fire moodily contemplating my betrayal."
"Clem, go scrounge up food and water for the whole camp while we discuss what we should do next."

Clem is badass.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I feel like one of the guiding themes of TWD season 2 of the video game is juxtaposing how Lee was treated in comparison to his accomplishments (which, since he was the player avatar, was nearly everything, and because of his age/general competence was viewed as a leader) and how his lessons have impacted Clem (the new player avatar), who is now also supremely competent, but because of her age and gender is viewed as "just a little kid"

Like I feel like the juxtaposition was intentional as showing that Clem is really reliable (which is why everyone makes her do everything) but she also has no agency (because the group as a whole basically decides everything for her), and that discrepancy is the source of her emotional arc and generalized frustration throughout the season

this is compounded by the fact that everyone she meets, bar like, two people, being complete assholes to and around her, since it puts a finer point on how poorly they are a judge of character

also she's not 8, she's at least 11, and maybe 12

She ends TWD season 1 having just turned ten (the dude that Lee meets at the end of the season even berates him for not knowing), then at least 6 to 9 months passed in between the end of season one and the beginning of season two in the prologue, then there's a hardcut title card that reads "16 months later"

so she's at least 11 at the very beginning of the season, and more likely 12

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
It'd be cool if they did some sort of time skip for season 3 and she's 20 or at least not a child anymore.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

DivisionPost posted:

Yes, I'm about 8 minutes into this episode and I'm not feeling it, so I did something amazing: I turned it off. I figure it can't bother you if you don't watch it.

By the way, this is happening in the Fall / Dibs thread:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3634845&perpage=40&pagenumber=3#post434466908

Ah yes, the absolutely outstanding quality of Downton Abbey.

Which is a very pretty to look at, overwrought soap opera. Quality. Right up there with the Anime.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A odd thing about early Simpsons is that Homer and Marge were a bit younger. In "Life on the Fast Lane" aka the one where Marge almost cheats on Homer with the bowling instructor, the episode opens with Marge's 34th birthday. While later episodes give their ages from 37 to 39.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Irish Joe posted:

11/12 but you run into the problem with player agency where you need to give just enough but it seems alright but I can see why people think it's out of place. But the alternative would be to make Clem like 85% passive observer and the season would have been all the worse for it if they did. I think they did alright given the way they wanted season 2 to go (where you play Clem). But I get the impression they are doing with Clem now, probably.

Kurtofan posted:

It'd be cool if they did some sort of time skip for season 3 and she's 20 or at least not a child anymore.
Yeah don't think Kirkman will let anyone do that, as in you can't go over his timeline unless he does it first.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

There's been a two year time jump in the books

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

A odd thing about early Simpsons is that Homer and Marge were a bit younger. In "Life on the Fast Lane" aka the one where Marge almost cheats on Homer with the bowling instructor, the episode opens with Marge's 34th birthday. While later episodes give their ages from 37 to 39.

It's going to kill me when my age catches up to their ages.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I picked up the entire Southland series on DVD for $24 at Big Lots, mainly because I've never seen the first two seasons. Even the early episodes are amazing. At least for me, they feel like new episodes which I could just pretend are a prequel or something.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Lugaloco posted:

Is The League even watchable at this point? I remember really enjoying most of Seasons 1-3 but after that it felt like the show took a nosedive.

I know this is from a few pages back, but I just wanted to throw in my two cents: I hate The League. I think its unfunny, subpar garbage and always has been. I never talk about it because I've never actually managed to sit through an episode without throwing my remote at the television. Howwwwwwever, everybody owes it to themselves to watch the Jason Mantzoukas/Seth Rogen episode from season 5, "Rafi and Dirty Randy" (available on Netflix). It is one of the funniest, craziest and just plain fun episodes of television ever produced.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Mu Zeta posted:

There's been a two year time jump in the books

Books don't exist in TVIV!

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Irish Joe posted:

I know this is from a few pages back, but I just wanted to throw in my two cents: I hate The League. I think its unfunny, subpar garbage and always has been. I never talk about it because I've never actually managed to sit through an episode without throwing my remote at the television. Howwwwwwever, everybody owes it to themselves to watch the Jason Mantzoukas/Seth Rogen episode from season 5, "Rafi and Dirty Randy" (available on Netflix). It is one of the funniest, craziest and just plain fun episodes of television ever produced.

Dramatist aside, that episode is an excellent 22 minutes.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

You guys are watching the knick, right?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
While Trailer Park Boys has been eerily consistent (it's amazing that they've gotten so much material out of such a small cast) I'd venture to say that season 8 is absolutely loving phenomenal. You know how everyone just kind of watched the new Arrested Development and even superfans were like "Yeah, that was okay!", well TPB season 8 is like the opposite of that, the kind of season that could potentially even convert people who didn't like it much before.

*Standard Disclaimer Under the SA Posting Guidelines Policy*

precision is a cannabis addict

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Anime. Meta self-commentary. Sass. Hyperbole. Perpetual need to talk about cool drugs.
Good to know some things never aren't things.

What is the worst season of SOUTH PARK? It's an awful show for awful, small people who likes things to look like other things, to validate their fart joke belief systems. I lost a toxx, and so whatever is the worst I'm going to endure. Or maybe someone buy me Platinum and I can read precision's post history for the Cliff's Notes.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So does Alicia Florrick ever lose?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I never talk about anime, unless it's in reference to someone I am dating or have dated showing it to me. I've really seen incredibly little of it, and almost nothing that wasn't on Toonami 10 or 15 years ago. :shrug:

e: well actually I did seek out the anime of Great Teacher Onizuka on my own, after watching the phenomenal live-action drama version. The anime is really, really inferior and I didn't make it past two episodes. It's actually amazing how much worse the anime is while still having much of the same plot and even dialogue, but Yama-P brought so much to the role, just nailed it. It's really a shame that America hasn't really ever latched onto non-anime Japanese television dramas, because they are often very well done.

precision fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Sep 6, 2014

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

zoux posted:

In many ways yes. In the court? I can't recall her losing.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

zoux posted:

Sometimes her victories end up being bigger wins for her opposition, and those are some of the best moments of the show.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Oh, so there was an alternate ending to How I Met Your Mother: http://vimeo.com/105404677

The only problem is that with the ending we got, it was set it stone by the creators, and they worked up into it in the preceding seasons since they filmed it. So despite the fact the alternate ending is what everyone wanted ... well I guess you can have that instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Sober posted:

Oh, so there was an alternate ending to How I Met Your Mother: http://vimeo.com/105404677

The only problem is that with the ending we got, it was set it stone by the creators, and they worked up into it in the preceding seasons since they filmed it. So despite the fact the alternate ending is what everyone wanted ... well I guess you can have that instead.
I don't understand. Why couldn't they have used this alternate ending?

• Locked thread