Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Pattonesque posted:

aside from the idiocy of charging for that, wouldn't people just find the four or five best unmodified builds and run with those? An awful lot of unmodified mechs are simply unworkable -- mediums that go 64 KPH, lights that straight-up WILL NOT COOL DOWN on certain maps, etc.

Don't forget ammo counts that are intended for a turn based game with half the armour levels of mwo and mechs with terrible equipment positioning (ctf-3D with ammo in the side torsos, XL engine and CASE lol).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Arquinsiel posted:

It'll have the same pod space, but with PGI's hardpoint mess it'll depend on what variants they pick as to how many guns it can actually fit. I suspect the C won't show up somehow.

Oh no, you mean they might deny access to the worst possible variant of a `Mech (1 ballistic slot in each arm, no hardpoints in any torso) that they may or may not even design and release at some future point? :ohdear:

I know people really like the Mad Dog. I'm one of them, it's got a neat design. It's still going to be red-hot garbage if they ever add it to MWO, especially since the Timberwolf will likely have been available for C-Bills for five years before PGI gets around to hiring new artists to replace the staff they seem to be hemorrhaging.

Fil5000 posted:

Don't forget ammo counts that are intended for a turn based game with half the armour levels of mwo and mechs with terrible equipment positioning (ctf-3D with ammo in the side torsos, XL engine and CASE lol).

A smart company would make that meaningful by giving a "bounty bonus" to c-bills for killing an enemy pilot, with CASE protecting the pilot from being killed by side-torso engine destruction and denying someone free money. :iamafag:

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Sep 5, 2014

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

PoptartsNinja posted:

Oh no, you mean they might deny access to the worst possible variant of a `Mech (1 ballistic slot in each arm, no hardpoints in any torso) that they may or may not even design and release at some future point? :ohdear:

The way they implemented omnipods, you could just swap in the torso hardpoints of another variant. Current clan mechs are mix and match to your heart's desire. Every single timberwolf has jumpjets for this reason.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
What clan mechs are good and which are not so good?

E: Actually just list good mechs overall and mechs to avoid.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

imperialparadox posted:

It's pants-on-head retarded that people want PGI to charge them for the ability to play the game though. :psyduck:
The Xbox live generation and the slow dawning realisation that offering to throw money at them is the only way PGI will consider doing something perhaps?

PoptartsNinja posted:

I know people really like the Mad Dog. I'm one of them, it's got a neat design. It's still going to be red-hot garbage if they ever add it to MWO, especially since the Timberwolf will likely have been available for C-Bills for five years before PGI gets around to hiring new artists to replace the staff they seem to be hemorrhaging.
Yeah, despite all the fondness for it from TT nerds like us it seems unworkable and thus unlikely to ever show up. They don't really have many choices for variants either, so it might be best to just ignore it entirely. Yet.... :pgi:

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

Dramicus posted:

The way they implemented omnipods, you could just swap in the torso hardpoints of another variant. Current clan mechs are mix and match to your heart's desire. Every single timberwolf has jumpjets for this reason.

It's pretty funny really. Switchable omnipods means that after you master your mechs, you literally have no reason to keep two of the variants unless you are just too lazy to switch parts around for different builds (which is understandable given the state of the current UI). I think one of the few exceptions to this is the one Timber Wolf with an energy mount in the CT, which gives you a reason to keep it alongside the Prime if you have the bonus with it.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
To be fair, most IS mechs only have one or two variants worth keeping once you master them too.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

KyloWinter posted:

Anything at an efficient weight is probably going to be pretty reliable:

Efficient weights:
20 tons (fast scouts) Haha, kidding, true in tabletop but not in MWO!
35 tons (lights) - Firestarter, Jenner, and Raven all fall in here and they're all pretty good! The Adder is poo poo, though
55 tons (mediums) - Stormcrow, Wolverine, Griffin
75 tons (heavies) - Timberwolf, Orion (the Orion's hardpoints kinda suffer, IIRC. I don't own one)
85 tons (64 kph XL engines) (fast assaults) - Stalker, Battlemaster, Warhawk
100 tons (slow assaults) - Atlas, Dire Wolf

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I don't know about tabletop, but the Griffin is pretty much just a physically bigger wolverine, I would say the Shadow Hawk is better for the ability to take ballistics. The Wolverine does everything the Griffin does, but is a smaller target.

The Banshee is also quite good, it's in that weird space where it can be a fast assault or a slower assault with loads of firepower.

Edit: Also, if you go with a ballistic-heavy banshee, it's one of the few mechs that can match a Dire Wolf in ability to poo poo out damage.

Dramicus fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Sep 5, 2014

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

PoptartsNinja posted:

Efficient weights:
35 tons (lights) - Firestarter, Jenner, and Raven all fall in here and they're all pretty good! The Adder is poo poo, though
75 tons (heavies) - Timberwolf, Orion (the Orion's hardpoints kinda suffer, IIRC. I don't own one)

The Stalker is unique in that its massive side torsos and generally symmetric profile mean, if the pilot is up on twisting, you have to chew through an awful lot of armor to kill it.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

PoptartsNinja posted:

Efficient weights:

Thanks. Are any of the hero mechs any good?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

KyloWinter posted:

The ones that come to mind are the Misery, Dragon Slayer, and Ember.

That being said, don't spend money on this game until they actually deliver on CW (hahaha)

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

KyloWinter posted:

The Boar's head is an RS with more energy slots in the arms. But if you are going to pilot an Atlas, you should almost certainly take a DDC.

The Ember is good, but it's a light without ECM.

The Firebrand is pretty good, but it suffers from the same fragileness problems as the other Jaegermechs.

The Misery is actually a good mech, full-stop. It is a Stalker which can also take ballistics.

The Flame is the best Dragon variant of them all, but it suffers from the problem of being a Dragon.

All of the Clan invasion variants are great of course, you get the C-bill bonus in addition to the ability to swap in any hardpoint.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

KyloWinter posted:

Stuff avaiable for C-bills only here because gently caress you, don't spend money on this awful game.

Good

Lights: Jenner, Raven, Firestarter, some folks have luck with spiders and commandos due to going Way Too Fast but it is gimmicky and very skill reliant.

Mediums: Centurians, Shadowhawks, maybe Cicada if you want to play a pseudo-light with ECM.

Heavies: Jaggermech, Orion, honestly playing a heavy deprives your team of a timber wolf which is bad.

Assault: Stalker, Atlas, I see some folks in Banshees and Awesomes these days but honestly the DDC is the best assault brawler C-Bills can buy and the Stalker is a mean LRM boat or durable brawler.

Avoid:

Light:Locust, Commando

Medium: Trebuchet, Vindicator, Kintaro

Heavy: Catapult, Dragon, anything that is not a timber wolf

Assault: Highlander, poptarting is dead.

Ash Rose fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Sep 5, 2014

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013
If you have spare MC laying around alot of the Heroes are going to be 50% off periodically over the next 4 days, also there is a new challenge for free stuff this weekend.

http://mwomercs.com/news/2014/09/941-lance-challenge

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Oh gently caress me a Lance Challenge.

Greetings MechWarriors,

We are pleased to invite you all to try out our first ever Lance Challenge.

You can track your progress in the Challenges page here: https://mwomercs.com/profile/stats?type=challenges.
You are automatically entered into any challenge, no opt-in required.

There are three tiers to this challenge, each with their own reward unlocked upon completion. Points are assigned based on Kills, Assists, TAG, NARC and Spotting. If your team successfully wins the match, 4 additional points will be added your total. In order for points to be awarded, you MUST be in a group of 4 players: No more, no less. You may, however, mix and match your lancemates across the weekend, as well as play in any game modes.

Please see the notes below for more specific details on the Challenge. See you on the battlefield!

Event Type: Challenge.
Event Begins: Friday, September 5th, 2014 at 10AM PDT / 1PM EDT / 5PM UTC.
Event Ends: Tuesday, September 9th, 2014 at 10AM PDT / 1PM EDT / 5PM UTC.

Prizes:

Tier 1 (200 Points): 3-days of Premium Time.
Tier 2 (550 Points): 1 Free Mechbay.
Tier 3 (950 Points): 6 million C-Bills.

Scoring:

Points are only awarded while playing in a Group of 4.
Kill: 1 Point.
Assist: 2 Points.
Spot Bonus: 2 Points.
TAG Assist: 2 Points.
NARC Assist: 2 Points.
Victory: 4 Points.

Who is ready to play 100 games with me?!?!?!?!

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
I was usually walking away with 6-8 assists every match last night in my NARCcat in PUGs just through my ill-advised strategy of kamikazeing into the middle of the other team, shooting up any ECM mechs I could find while popping NARCs on as many people as possible before going out in a hail of fire. I ought've thought to carry a drone with me to launch while they were all distracted with my antics; would've probably helped some more. NARCs are now amazingly good in the lurmboat meta, as long as you can take out the enemy ECMs.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Is it assist per dude? Because I get 7-8 assists per game reliably. This should actually be a decent challenge. I guess I know how goons are dropping tonight.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Paramemetic posted:

Is it assist per dude? Because I get 7-8 assists per game reliably. This should actually be a decent challenge. I guess I know how goons are dropping tonight.
I think the group only counts as "being in a group of 4" and "victory"--the points for kills/assists/etc should be individual to each robotjox guy. A buddy who drops in your lance and goes afk will only get points if your team wins.

Just from challenges I'll be able to rack up 3 open mechbays after this weekend. Now I just need to figure out what mech to master next.

Hell, with my playstyle the way it has been I might conceivably have a shot at the CBills (couldn't be arsed to grind up 50 wins last time).

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Some semi-organized lance action with goons is almost, almost, enough to bring me back in for a while.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
Honestly I'd like to go all the way with this one, since it's grouped up and it'll be easy enough to earn cbills anyhow, the extra 6.5M at the end would be nice.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Just browsed some stuff on smurfy's. Are those ammo-per-ton stats for clan weapons bugged or is it as insane as it looks? 35 shots of ac20 for a ton? The clan uac20 taking up LESS space than its regular clan counterpart? I know clans are silly but this is more than I thought it would be.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Mindblast posted:

Just browsed some stuff on smurfy's. Are those ammo-per-ton stats for clan weapons bugged or is it as insane as it looks? 35 shots of ac20 for a ton? The clan uac20 taking up LESS space than its regular clan counterpart? I know clans are silly but this is more than I thought it would be.

It fires 5 shots per trigger pull. So 4 tons = 28 shots.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Patch notes are up:

Clan "nerfs"

ER-Larges are better now

ER-Medium/Large-Pulse/Medium-Pulse are basically the same

Small lasers got hosed to hell and back

Streaks fire faster now

LRMs fire slower.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

How hard are xml file changes? Let's have Paul tell us:

Paul Inouye posted:

As I was confirming numbers for the patch today with QA, we found a discrepancy in the weapon file. The current value in the patch being released today has the IS ER-Large Laser duration set to 1.5. It is supposed to be set to 1.25 to separate it more from the IS Large Laser.

To fix this we would have to kick off an entire new build which would push the patch out 4+hrs plus redistributing the patch to the content servers. Instead, we will be pushing the fix into the patch coming up on Sept. 9th (This up coming Tuesday).

Sorry for the mistake!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
It's OK.

He can't hear our complaints over the sound of the gold-plated Cocaine.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Ardlen posted:

How hard are xml file changes? Let's have Paul tell us:

"Well, we found out the patch we put together didn't have what we thought we put in it, and fixing the mistake might have taken some time or effort, so we just figured you're the sort of idiots who would accept any sort of bullshit we shovel into the content pipe. We aren't going to fix it." - A MWO Lead Developer

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Dramicus posted:

Patch notes are up:

Clan "nerfs"

ER-Larges are better now

ER-Medium/Large-Pulse/Medium-Pulse are basically the same

Small lasers got hosed to hell and back

Streaks fire faster now

LRMs fire slower.

ER Mediums got hosed pretty hard too. I was testing last night to see if the x2 elite bonus was actually working now, since it hadn't been back in 2013 when I played last. Stuck four ER mediums on my Madcat, loaded the HPG map, held down the trigger and counted the number of volleys before the mech shut down. It was twelve. Exited the map, bought the last elite skill, reloaded the map, repeated the experiment, got sixteen volleys before hitting shutdown. So hey, they actually did manage to fix that, great for them to have done something right. Today I did the same thing, and those same four lasers on the same mech caused a shutdown after eight volleys.

Loaded up a Nova with just six ER mediums, under half of what they usually carry, and it went into shutdown on the fourth volley. And that's without ghost heat kicking in; a stock Nova alphaing is probably going to explode at this point.

Hiking the small laser heat by 50% is just insane.

And nerfing pulses is also mostly insane. Decreasing their range so they don't outrange the ERs makes sense, but they already had poo poo heat:damage ratios, which just got made worse.

Slowing LRMs is just shrug-worthy, don't see it really impacting much of anything, and speeding SSRMs is desperately needed because their refire rate was just retardedly slow. It's not a lot better now; making an SRM6 take longer to reload than an LRM20 is still stupid. But any improvement helps I guess?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Pattonesque posted:

The ones that come to mind are the Misery, Dragon Slayer, and Ember.

That being said, don't spend money on this game until they actually deliver on CW (hahaha)

Marmoset. (Ilya Muromets)

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

quote:

Clan Large Pulse Laser damage down from 11.8 to 11.6

Yes, .2 damage is absolutely noticeable. :rolleye:

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Wales Grey posted:

Combined with a 12.5% heat increase, a worse ghost heat penalty, and a 12.5% range decrease, all bearing in mind that the gun was already the shittier little brother to the ER larges.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

Efficient weights:

85t is also a breakpoint for jumpy assaults, in theory. In practice, it's 80t, as with the Victor. The only jumpy 85t mechs, like the Katana, Templar, and Seraph, probably won't ever make it to MWO.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Dramicus posted:

I think it's funny when everyone shits on the Summoner, it's a perfectly fine mech. It might even be considered balanced. The only problem is that it isn't a Timber Wolf, so everyone gives it a hard time. There is nothing actually wrong with it.

In fact you can do most Cataphract builds on it without having the weakness of a normal XL engine. + Every version comes with jump jets for free.

Nah, it's pretty bad because it has a big, heavy engine, 5 tons of JJ's you can't remove, and very few hardpoints. Also, it's a nice, broad target and easy to kill. The Stormcrow can mount a larger, more diverse array of guns (26 tons v 21 tons IIRC) while being smaller with a better profile, faster, and only slightly less armored. The Timber Wolf absolutely blows it away in every respect. If you could pull the JJ's off the thing, it would be pretty solid, but only 21 tons of space for weapons and running FF instead of Endo is bad. To top all this off, it doesn't even have its guns in good spots like a Jaeger or Stalker, the arm mounts are extremely low hanging. It can get ballistic slots up high on the shoulders, but it has so little space you can't even run twin AC-10's. 2x UAC-5's and 4 erm lasers are the best you can manage, and for a 70 tonner that's pretty weak. It's worse than the Cataphract by far, all it has going for it is JJ's plus reasonably good speed for a heavy, but it's not really fast enough for that to matter.

It sucks, because the Summoner is one of my all time favorite mechs from the tabletop, but it's just bad in MWO.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Wales Grey posted:

little XML tweaks rather than inventing huge dumb subsystems like ghost heat is good though

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
I have 1600 MC or so sitting around, I might buy that dumb Oxide robbit for cbill grinding. I don't like it because it's a Jenner with no lasers which is dumb, but gonna LRM wolfpack with my Oxide buddy and it will be hilarious.

Gargoyle
Feb 2, 2014

quote:

Today I did the same thing, and those same four lasers on the same mech caused a shutdown after eight volleys.

I hate to nit-pick as your post isn't whiney or complaining at all but... 4 clan ER Medium lasers you say...

So thats 28 points of damage over a 1.3 second beam.

Eight times.

Repeating.

4 C-ER med lasers (450, 900 max), 28 point of damage, eight times.

And thats a nerf? Maybe compared to where it was... But you do realise the MadCat is a heavy right?! I know it can stand up to any assault mech the IS has, and I know that the Madcat is the face of the universe... But lets just think about there here.

On my Banshee I use 4 Medium lasers with my Gauss Rifle, 95 tons.
My Catapult I just don't think could cycle something like that, while 10 tons lighter, sure, it just couldn't handle it. I cycle 3 Large Lasers chain fire but thats with so many DHS that I can only use SRM2 x2 on the shoulders.

4 C-ER med lasers, 28 points of damage eight times. Nerfed.

I'm kind of scared of what it was, I didn't know it was that bad before!

NOVAs typically run 12 ER Small lasers, not medium. Don't know where that came from.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

quote:

LANCE CHALLENGE

Greetings MechWarriors,

We are pleased to invite you all to try out our first ever Lance Challenge.

You can track your progress in the Challenges page here: https://mwomercs.com/profile/stats?type=challenges.
You are automatically entered into any challenge, no opt-in required.

There are three tiers to this challenge, each with their own reward unlocked upon completion. Points are assigned based on Kills, Assists, TAG, NARC and Spotting. If your team successfully wins the match, 4 additional points will be added your total. In order for points to be awarded, you MUST be in a group of 4 players: No more, no less. You may, however, mix and match your lancemates across the weekend, as well as play in any game modes.

Please see the notes below for more specific details on the Challenge. See you on the battlefield!

Event Type: Challenge.
Event Begins: Friday, September 5th, 2014 at 10AM PDT / 1PM EDT / 5PM UTC.
Event Ends: Tuesday, September 9th, 2014 at 10AM PDT / 1PM EDT / 5PM UTC.

Prizes:
Tier 1 (200 Points): 3-days of Premium Time.
Tier 2 (550 Points): 1 Free Mechbay.
Tier 3 (950 Points): 6 million C-Bills.

Scoring:
Points are only awarded while playing in a Group of 4.
Kill: 1 Point.
Assist: 2 Points.
Spot Bonus: 2 Points.
TAG Assist: 2 Points.
NARC Assist: 2 Points.
Victory: 4 Points.

This is not a terrible idea.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Gargoyle posted:

NOVAs typically run 12 ER Small lasers, not medium. Don't know where that came from.

He's talking about the stock Nova there, which does run 12cERML.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

The Gate posted:

Nah, it's pretty bad because it has a big, heavy engine, 5 tons of JJ's you can't remove, and very few hardpoints. Also, it's a nice, broad target and easy to kill. The Stormcrow can mount a larger, more diverse array of guns (26 tons v 21 tons IIRC) while being smaller with a better profile, faster, and only slightly less armored. The Timber Wolf absolutely blows it away in every respect. If you could pull the JJ's off the thing, it would be pretty solid, but only 21 tons of space for weapons and running FF instead of Endo is bad. To top all this off, it doesn't even have its guns in good spots like a Jaeger or Stalker, the arm mounts are extremely low hanging. It can get ballistic slots up high on the shoulders, but it has so little space you can't even run twin AC-10's. 2x UAC-5's and 4 erm lasers are the best you can manage, and for a 70 tonner that's pretty weak. It's worse than the Cataphract by far, all it has going for it is JJ's plus reasonably good speed for a heavy, but it's not really fast enough for that to matter.

It sucks, because the Summoner is one of my all time favorite mechs from the tabletop, but it's just bad in MWO.

The thing that really kills the Summoner and to some extent the Warhawk is the fact that they inexplicably have ferro-fibrous instead of endo steel. Well, not quite inexplicably, the explanation is that the wargame mechs are set up that way, but there's no good reason for them to be configured like that in the first place. Those are precious precious criticals devoured by a plainly worse option. It's basically flushing a few tons down the toilet that could have really helped both mechs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

sebmojo posted:

This is not a terrible idea.

For all that PGI is poo poo (and it's more poo poo than a septic tank after taco night) the last few challenges have actually been pretty damned good, and they've been iterating on them to make them better each time (first it was only kill=point, then assist also count as a point, now a group challenge with the previous points + spotting).

• Locked thread