Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Conjuror is bananas. 30 mp a turn is nuts. I started Ch 7 and Ominas & co. was the first time I ever felt significantly challenged since my 1st run in with Chaugmar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
So I just bought this game like two days ago and holy poo poo the soundtrack is bar none one of the best I've ever heard in a video game. I'm only up to Ancheim but I'm enjoying the heck out of this. Is exchanging friend codes still a thing? I'm not really sure what exchanging them does mind you, but apparently it's a thing.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Exchanging friend codes does two things: you can summon them for assistance in a fight, and you can link a friend to one character and have access to that friend's job levels. For instance, say your Tiz has lvl 3 Knight, lvl 6 White Mage, lvl 9 Thief, and you link Tiz to a friend who's maxed every single job, your Tiz will have lvl 14 everything for any job you've unlocked. Ability-linking is a great way to get an unfair advantage in the game.

If I can get my drat DS to connect to my Wifi I'll add you, I have a few jobs maxed and the rest are in the 10-13 range.

Also, make sure to update your info once a day. You'll get additional villagers for restoring your town and you'll get to fight a few village-only bosses that reward items (and -aja spells for Vampires) that can permanently raise a specific stat.

Horace Kinch fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Aug 31, 2014

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

sitchelin posted:

Exchanging friend codes does two things: you can summon them for assistance in a fight, and you can link a friend to one character and have access to that friend's job levels. For instance, say your Tiz has lvl 3 Knight, lvl 6 White Mage, lvl 9 Thief, and you link Tiz to a friend who's maxed every single job, your Tiz will have lvl 14 everything for any job you've unlocked. Ability-linking is a great way to get an unfair advantage in the game.

If I can get my drat DS to connect to my Wifi I'll add you, I have a few jobs maxed and the rest are in the 10-13 range.

Sweet! That sounds ridiculous(ly awesome). My friend code is 1564-2420-2254.

Right now I'm just battling my way through the sidequests. It's tough, especially since I don't have much in the way of strategy beyond 'hit things until they're dead' but I figure that can come later.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Griever posted:

I'm excited to get new info, but also: hmm. I'm really hoping that you get party members and don't just have the one character in combat. I'm not sure I want Lightning Returns in my Bravely Second.

Also I just realised it's not Linked Horizon doing the music this time and now I'm sad.

The combat engine looks exactly the same as BD's, which would be horribly boring with only one character. It only shows Magnolia because she's the only party member who's been officially announced, although it's pretty obvious Tiz is returning.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Early reports said the game was going to have a more action-oriented combat system, but who knows.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Chronojam posted:

Early reports said the game was going to have a more action-oriented combat system, but who knows.

No, they didn't.

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/02/21/bravely-second-will-focus-story-rather-exploration/

quote:

When we asked Asano if this meant that Bravely Second would be more of an action game, he replied that it wouldn’t. “No, Bravely Second will still follow the turn-based battle system,” Asano said to Siliconera. “When we looked at the original system in Bravely Default: Flying Fairy for Bravely Second, the improvements made to the basic system were implemented in Bravely Default: For the Sequel.”

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!
Welp, just entered Chapter 7 and decided I was done with this game. I heard that things went to poo poo in the second half but I did not expect it to turn into the JRPG version of Endless 8.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Office Thug posted:

Welp, just entered Chapter 7 and decided I was done with this game. I heard that things went to poo poo in the second half but I did not expect it to turn into the JRPG version of Endless 8.

Secondary quests in Chapter 7 and 8 are great.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

You must not fail to complete the sidequests in Chapters 7 and 8. The situation is not what it looks like. (Unless you're playing the original Japanese release, in which case you should skip all the sidequests in Chapters 7 and 8 because it is exactly what it looks like.)

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Bongo Bill posted:

You must not fail to complete the sidequests in Chapters 7 and 8. The situation is not what it looks like. (Unless you're playing the original Japanese release, in which case you should skip all the sidequests in Chapters 7 and 8 because it is exactly what it looks like.)

Wow, they made those quests just for the remaster?

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Chapter 7 is when you should be stealing from all the bosses if you havent' been already (eithe with a Thief or with the Thief Knife weapon)

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, if you're into chapter 7 you're past the worst of it.

I thought that chapter had the best sidequests of any of them, actually.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I finally finished the game, I especially like the subtle touch they added to the title screen after the fact.

Doing the sidequests in Chapter 7 is highly recommended. Doing them in 8 is basically a glorified boss rush and isn't worth the effort unless you *really* need those 5 or 6 turbo ethers and is really just there for bragging rights.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle

sitchelin posted:

I finally finished the game, I especially like the subtle touch they added to the title screen after the fact.

Doing the sidequests in Chapter 7 is highly recommended. Doing them in 8 is basically a glorified boss rush and isn't worth the effort unless you *really* need those 5 or 6 turbo ethers and is really just there for bragging rights.

Yeah, I was actually disappointed by the small variety of end-game equipment and availability. You'd think they'd tie more of them in with the harder boss fights, but it's all just "here's a new key, go through all the old maps and get pretty good items piecemeal", which doesn't sound end-gamey. I also had Heike stuff like one week into playing just from leaving my game on the whole time, but I only got like 5 goon friends and the rest were randoms so that seems like a normal time period. The problem being that one Merchant gold-raising fight in Chapter 7 for about five hours gave me enough to buy all the best stuff from the village so I didn't need most of the crap later on anyway. Where are my boss-specific steals?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Main character for BD2 is Yu

This shmuck

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I'm glad to see they're keeping the pun names alive!

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Dudes behind are named 'Nicolai' and 'Jan'.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
I will never get tired of the Bravely games's punny names.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Oh wow, what does this mean now? We can see both Jean and Yu in-battle there, and Siliconera's claiming only Yu is actually confirmed. Did they mess up (which, I mean, is not at all out of the question), or?

Either which way it is would be fine with me, they all look cool.

Edit: Yu looks like Larsa from FF12. This is acceptable.

Terper fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Sep 5, 2014

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
Pretty sure they mean Yu is the only one of the three newly announced dudes that's confirmed playable.

Nikolai looks evil as gently caress; calling it now.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Punny names? What do you meDOESN'T RING A BELL OMFG

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Some of them are pretty dumb (Cigma Khint)

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Wait, so Magnolia isn't the main character? I wonder why they introduced her first.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

So there were other pun names outside of Ringabel?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

setafd posted:

So there were other pun names outside of Ringabel?

Brave Lee spends the entire first part of his battle doing nothing but Defaulting.

Alternis Dim, Alternate Dimension etc

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Punny names? What do you meDOESN'T RING A BELL OMFG

Oh sweet jesus how did i miss that

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

So did Ringabel choose that name for himself or did someone else give it to him? Because I really hope that name is the result of someone playing a prank on an amnesiac man.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
The people of Caldisla gave him the name.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

I hope Nicholai is a main party member, but since this is a JRPG and he looks like an Awesome Old Guy it means he's either gonna die pretty early or turn out to be the main villain.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

alcharagia posted:

The people of Caldisla gave him the name.

And his reaction was more or less "oh ha ha, gently caress you guys."

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Butt Ghost posted:

Wait, so Magnolia isn't the main character? I wonder why they introduced her first.

Can't have a JRPG with a female lead.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Dr Pepper posted:

Can't have a JRPG with a female lead.

FF6. And 13, but Lightning is just Cloud with girl parts so that doesn't really count.

And unless someone can read Japanese, I don't think it says Yu is the main character. They've been saying it's Magnolia pretty much since she was introduced.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Inflammatory posted:

FF6. And 13, but Lightning is just Cloud with girl parts so that doesn't really count.

And unless someone can read Japanese, I don't think it says Yu is the main character. They've been saying it's Magnolia pretty much since she was introduced.

The little black box above his name/title has "主人公" written in it.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Butt Ghost posted:

Probably like how Tiz was technically the main character of Bravely Default even though it was really more about Agnes.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Probably like how Tiz was technically the main character of Bravely Default even though it was really more about Agnes.

Or Vaan to Ashe, or Tidus to Yuna, etc.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Tidus was pretty obviously the main character of X though. Like Yuna was an important figure in the plot but it's pretty obvious why Tidus is the protagonist. His dad is the space whale after all.

Bravely Default didn't really feel like it had a main character and his party so much as it had an ensemble cast, so I don't think it matters all that much who the game technically calls the lead.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Cake Attack posted:

Bravely Default didn't really feel like it had a main character and his party so much as it had an ensemble cast, so I don't think it matters all that much who the game technically calls the lead.
This is actually one thing which I really like about the game, everyone kinda has fairly equal footing with regards to the story. There is plenty driving each of them forward, it doesn't ever feel like anyone's just "there".

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I haven't gotten past chapter 1, but I think it's telling that, despite playing as Tiz at first, the opening cinematic shows all of them equally and very early on you play as Edea alone. That alone tells me that despite Tiz getting first dibs, he's not really the "protagonist" in a traditional video game sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Kurtofan posted:

Some of them are pretty dumb (Cigma Khint)

I don't get it.

Though it also took me awhile to puzzle out Barras Lehr. (Bear Wrestler)

• Locked thread