Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

There's something about the monster design in Apothecia that makes me have a good visceral shudder every time I look at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

fritz posted:

It's a bad thread in a bad forum.

Who's going to SPX this year?

I'll probably be there on Sunday for a little bit.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

MikeJF posted:

There's something about the monster design in Apothecia that makes me have a good visceral shudder every time I look at it.

yeah when it describes itself as a wrong thing it's pretty apt.

also throwing Jessie's words back at her, which is pretty cold.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
'You have much enthusiasm for mistakes' is a great line too.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.
This week in Nimona, everything is still really upsetting but it looks like at least two of the main cast might make it out alive.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Alopex posted:

This week in Nimona, everything is still really upsetting but it looks like at least two of the main cast might make it out alive.

And then Nimona will eat them.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Rand Brittain posted:

And then she'll show up on new boss's doorstep.

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

Rand Brittain posted:

then Nimona dies of Jaderoot poisoning

Dogwood Fleet posted:

:mad:

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Dogwood Fleet posted:

It's kind of sad how likely that is, since Nimona really seems to want affection but isn't really willing to do any of the introspection or work involved in becoming somebody everybody wouldn't want to kill.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
There's still a ton of unanswered questions on the nature of Nimona's condition, but I don't think we're going to get any clear cut answers at this stage. I may be wrong though.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Seems like Ryan is having dad troubles in Expecting to Fly. Not surprising, given that Scary Go Round established that his father is the king of the hobos.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Rand Brittain posted:

It's kind of sad how likely that is, since Nimona really seems to want affection but isn't really willing to do any of the introspection or work involved in becoming somebody everybody wouldn't want to kill.

To be fair it seems like she may be about ten years old.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Sep 3, 2014

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
This is pure conjecture on my part, but I'm guessing they'll get away, the facility will melt down, everyone will think Nimona is dead, while she slinks away in the background and tries to fit in with another town.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

MikeJF posted:

To be fair it seems like she may be about ten years old.

If she is she certainly never acted like one. I got the impressions she just looks 10 then because her form solidified during her flashback.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I may be missing some clues, but I thought the implication was that the flashback did not happen that long ago, and her normal teenaged form was a child's projection of a cool, older kid. In other words, she's mentally 8-10ish, just hides it well, which explains her lack of empathy and tantrum-like anger. It's like the kid in the Twilight Zone that can wish you into the cornfield, only instead she can turn into a giant dragon-thing and kill you directly.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Bobulus posted:

I may be missing some clues, but I thought the implication was that the flashback did not happen that long ago, and her normal teenaged form was a child's projection of a cool, older kid. In other words, she's mentally 8-10ish, just hides it well, which explains her lack of empathy and tantrum-like anger. It's like the kid in the Twilight Zone that can wish you into the cornfield, only instead she can turn into a giant dragon-thing and kill you directly.

I remember there was a story the magic-scientist-person told where the Nimona-like shapeshifter was actually quite old. It gave me the impression Nimona could be quite old too.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
Well there's no real way to tell how many people like her are out there, or for how long.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Everything about her screams teenager to me.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

I'm kinda sad that Nimona is ending soon because I really like the comic.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Oh my god, the coloring in the new Poppy story looks amazing.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

And an explanation for Poppy's ridiculous strength/weight.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is it in the alt text for the first two pages? I'm on a phone and only get to see the link to the next page.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Thoughts, in order:

1. Holy poo poo that's a significant change in the art. Looks great.

2. ...That's really gross Poppy.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
RIP Nimona

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
Yeah RIP

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.
Wow, actual plot development in Ava's Demon. About time. Looks like TITAN wants to turn everyone into blue raspberry tang. That or upload everyone's brains to a computer. Or both!

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
Boulet did an amazing thing again!

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

At first I was like....not super into it, then I realized this is literally a plot of a shoujo comic, and I was all in. They might as well start screaming Tamahome and Miaka. Boulet rules. He's probably one of the only artists I can think of that is able to use nostalgia in a non-toxic form, if that makes any sense. Also Morglox.

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.
Boulet is the best.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Space-Bird posted:

At first I was like....not super into it, then I realized this is literally a plot of a shoujo comic, and I was all in. They might as well start screaming Tamahome and Miaka. Boulet rules. He's probably one of the only artists I can think of that is able to use nostalgia in a non-toxic form, if that makes any sense. Also Morglox.

Now I'm struggling to remember all the manga where the villain's only crimes are self determination and being a little overenthusiastic, and all my brain can dredge up is that there were quite a lot. Obviously the quality can't have been all that great.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Morglox is a neeerd!

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I like that Morglox didn't have some really nice tech job or anything, with a "nerds own the 21st century" sentiment, but instead was just an elementary school chemistry teacher and pretty content about it. I'm also glad that Blanche didn't end up falling for him, but instead just set him up with a friend. Either one of those would have made me reflexively reject the dumb "geeks' revenge" trope, instead of being able to enjoy the better story actually worked in there.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Ditocoaf posted:

I like that

Same :)

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
Terrible news in today's Endstone. RIP, the best character in the comic...

Let us remember happier times:

:3:

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
The undad.

e: this weekend must be revenge of the nerds or something. also i read that boulet comic twice

Jackard fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Sep 7, 2014

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe
Good to know that Riley has always been a bitch.

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together

Nude Bog Lurker posted:

Good to know that Riley has always been a bitch.

You know that Lottie would probably say something similar to Jack/Linton/Sonny, but just make a more obtuse musical reference.
You are just coloured by your past experience with her fun and whimsy hating future self.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.
Ballister could not look any more like the terrifying supervillain he always wanted to be if he tried.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Yak of Wrath posted:

You know that Lottie would probably say something similar to Jack/Linton/Sonny, but just make a more obtuse musical reference.
You are just coloured by your past experience with her fun and whimsy hating future self.

Yeah having had a 13 year old sister that's just normal behavior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

quote:

7 pages left.
There's one more terrible thing happening in Nimona. I can feel it.

• Locked thread