Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

Bhaal posted:

2 posts above that you were trying to call out bias on part of Alan Krueger, and now you're citing a scare chart from the Heritage Foundation?

Besides even if you were making 30% of the margin you made last year, that's still a viable business. If the ownership class wants to get huffy and go galt, plenty of people will be happy to step in and prosper.

I was calling out a guy saying "One on side there's huge bias because Heritage is poo poo, on the other side there's reality" while ignoring it was a study done by a liberal economics professor and cited in the New York fuckin' Times.

I mean come on people. It's one thing to discredit the bias you don't agree with but this is silly.

EDIT: The issue is raising the minimum wage double in one fell swoop rather than maintaining small increments that markets can adjust to over time.

Again, $7->$10, not much in the rippling effects. $7->$15, not quite as clean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

What's so special about this hypothetical minimum wage hike as opposed to all of the other ones that happened in the past?

This time there's Obama.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Not one goddamn thing is different. The rich of this country scream bloody murder over a slight loss on profit while most everyone else struggles to drag them kicking and screaming into a reasonable present day morality.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I decided to look up some more info on the Heritage guy that wrote the piece and stumbled across this instead:

http://www.nrcruise.com/speakers.htm

Never before have I wanted a boat to sink with no survivors so badly.
I don't believe in phrenology but every once in awhile you see enough of these guys lined up together and I feel like I would have thought the same thing at the time. Maybe they focused too much on "criminality AKA being Irish" and not enough on the "smug conservative douche" trait. I get seriously bad vibes off all but like 5 of those pictures.

edit: if you want a picture of what the cruises are like and didn't read this a couple years ago:
http://nymag.com/news/features/republican-caribbean-cruise-2012-12/

pangstrom fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Sep 5, 2014

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Anything good for the working class must be fought as fiercely as possible in order to create the illusion that the system is a hair's edge from collapse.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Amergin posted:

I was calling out a guy saying "One on side there's huge bias because Heritage is poo poo, on the other side there's reality" while ignoring it was a study done by a liberal economics professor and cited in the New York fuckin' Times.

I mean come on people. It's one thing to discredit the bias you don't agree with but this is silly.

Liberals: Here is a professionally done study with facts and math and here it is presented in a easily digestible form from the NYTimes.

Conservatives: Here's a bunch of bullshit Heritage made up with no numbers or math behind it presented in a misleading infographic

THE TRUTH MUST BE IN THE MIDDLE!

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

Kitfox88 posted:

Not one goddamn thing is different. The rich of this country scream bloody murder over a slight loss on profit while most everyone else struggles to drag them kicking and screaming into a reasonable present day morality.

77% is a slight loss in profit.

Man, if you owned a business I would love to hear you say that.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
People. If you have to engage Amergin in a debate, then for goodness sake don't let him take the high ground from the start. If you choose to debate him over a chart regarding future economic possibilities that was made by Heritage, he's already winning.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
Semantics.

A loss in profit is not having your ledger in the red. You're still making a profit.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

pangstrom posted:

I don't believe in phrenology but every once in awhile you see enough of these guys lined up together and I feel like I would have thought the same thing at the time. Maybe they focused too much on "criminality AKA being Irish" and not enough on the "smug conservative douche" trait. I get seriously bad vibes off all but like 5 of those pictures.
So now we see that that liberals are the truly prejudiced ones :smug:

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Liberals: Here is a professionally done study with facts and math and here it is presented in a easily digestible form from the NYTimes.

Conservatives: Here's a bunch of bullshit Heritage made up with no numbers or math behind it presented in a misleading infographic

American_media.txt

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Did you bother to read the Heritage article?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Hey Amergin while you're here did you comment on the lovely economist book review the other day? Someone pointed out that a comment struck them as coming from you.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

zxqv8 posted:

Semantics.

A loss in profit is not having your ledger in the red. You're still making a profit.

A loss in wage is not having your income in the red. You're still earning a wage.

EDIT:

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Hey Amergin while you're here did you comment on the lovely economist book review the other day? Someone pointed out that a comment struck them as coming from you.

I only comment on their articles about China.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Amergin posted:

Right, so if we raised it to $10 without much impact, $15 would... still not have much impact?

It'd have a positive impact, since the extra wages earned would be redirected straight back into the economy.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Radish posted:

Anything good for the working class must be fought as fiercely as possible in order to create the illusion that the system is a hair's edge from collapse.

Back in the good ol days we could just shoot them when they got uppity. Now a days we can't so we have to lie and use pepper spray. :freep:

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

saintonan posted:

It'd have a positive impact, since the extra wages earned would be redirected straight back into the economy.

That's another great assumption.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Yeah including the bottom bit where they admit their model was flawed and the dumb feedback loop assumptions they made to make their then tweaked model work.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Amergin posted:

Poor people don't save, they consume. They're not going to take the money and try to hide it in some overseas sockpuppet shell corporation, they're going to buy more burgers. And shoes. And everything else small businesspeople are trying to sell.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Amergin posted:

Is it really? People who live paycheck to paycheck can't afford to save much money.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

JT Jag posted:

Is it really? People who live paycheck to paycheck can't afford to save much money.

But if your wage is doubled, are you still living paycheck to paycheck?

We're assuming costs and inflation don't change, too, remember.

Al Harrington
May 1, 2005

I used to be an adventurer like you, then I took an arrow in the eye

Amergin posted:

EDIT: The issue is raising the minimum wage double in one fell swoop rather than maintaining small increments that markets can adjust to over time.

Again, $7->$10, not much in the rippling effects. $7->$15, not quite as clean.

You know that isn't how it works, in the never going to happen idea that the min wage gets increased to $15 it's going to be phased in over a number of years just like the states have been doing, it isn't going to be one day a switch flips and now you're making $15/hr.

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

Amergin posted:

Are you even trying anymore?

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

I thought I read someone say in this very thread that most businesses constantly endure bigger price shocks than even an overnight change to $15/hr would cause...from the price of electricity.

Was that somewhere else?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Amergin posted:

Okay, let's work this out. Someone is poor and living paycheck to paycheck. Their wage doubles. They have more breathing room. Do they start saving? No. They start buying necessities they couldn't afford before. Leasing instead of renting to build equity. Planning to mortgage a house a few years down the road. Basically? it pushes a bunch of poor people into the middle class.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Amergin posted:

I'd give a gently caress about that statistic if it wasn't as based in unreality as death panels, ISIS sleeper agents on our soil, and every Palastinian being a bloodthirsty terrorist who wants to consume Israeli infants.

If I wanted to debate your stupid lovely arguments I'd loving talk to any of my extended family. gently caress off.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

No you see, once people are paid $15 an hour half will be fired since businesses currently have twice as many employees as they need and waste money for some reason.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Radish posted:

No you see, once people are paid $15 an hour half will be fired since businesses currently have twice as many employees as they need and waste money for some reason.

No no no, this is all wrong. They're employing that many people because that's how many they can afford at the current minimum wage. These businesses exist for the public good and so are clearly run exactly at operating costs, so this hike is untenable!

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I see, I see. How magnanimous! :)

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

It's just like how businesses hire more people when they get a tax cut, because they hire people based on money laying around not based on how much utility/profit that person generates.

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

zxqv8 posted:

No no no, this is all wrong. They're employing that many people because that's how many they can afford at the current minimum wage. These businesses exist for the public good and so are clearly run exactly at operating costs, so this hike is untenable!

We should abolish the minimum wage. Are there reasons we shouldn't that don't boil down to a national refusal to accept personal responsibility?

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Amergin posted:

Of course, there are no other factors affecting the profits of fast food franchisees.

quote:

Once you've completed training and are ready to go, McDonalds will offer you a location they've already developed. The exterior of the building will be complete, but you will have to take care of interior additions such as kitchen equipment, seating and landscaping. You'll get constant support from a McDonald's Field Consultant, who can advise you on details and will visit regularly. You'll pay McDonald's a monthly fee of 4 percent of your sales, and either a flat base rent or a percentage rent of at least 8.5 percent of your sales. How much money you make depends on many things, including the location and its popularity, the efficiency of your operating costs, and your ability to manage and control the business.

For a McDonald's, the average sales per unit is around $2.4 million, which means that Corporate is taking $300,000 annually right off the top. And this is not counting the fact that many of the franchisee's "costs" are equipment and supplies that they must order directly from corp at corp mandated prices.

Year to year, cost increases are usually, but not always, borne exclusively by franchisees. In the case of minimum wage legislation, all the large Fast Food corps are not going to allow price increases from their franchisees. Instead, the increased labor costs will come largely from franchise fees (and corporate profits), and secondarily from franchisee profits (where they can absorb them).

Heritage misses this, and thus all their predicted macro effects are bullshit.

Some mom and pop fast food restaurants will eat it, but these are a vanishingly tiny portion of the industry.

amanasleep fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Sep 5, 2014

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Amergin posted:

JT Jag posted:

Okay, let's work this out. Someone is poor and living paycheck to paycheck. Their wage doubles. They have more breathing room. Do they start saving? No. They start buying necessities they couldn't afford before. Leasing instead of renting to build equity. Planning to mortgage a house a few years down the road. Basically? it pushes a bunch of poor people into the middle class.
Don't forget paying off various credit card debt, and finally being able to replace worn-out things instead of continually putting it off because there's no money.

So yes, even if your wage is doubled, living paycheck to paycheck is still likely for a lot of people. The difference is, there's potentially a little bit of a cushion if something unexpected happens, instead of being automatically hosed if the slightest thing goes wrong.

...That's depressing to think about, actually.:smith:

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
USPOL September - Lazy trolling and circular arguments

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Guys it's impossible to raise wages ever let me explain to you why using ~economics~.

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
College Slice

pangstrom posted:

edit: if you want a picture of what the cruises are like and didn't read this a couple years ago:
http://nymag.com/news/features/republican-caribbean-cruise-2012-12/

Thank you for posting this. It is a real treat.

quote:

In response, the moderator recounted the litany of dreary statistics from Reed and Rasmussen earlier that day. “So therefore we should give up and burn our passports and stay on this boat forever?” said Goldberg with real exasperation.

The crowd erupted in cheers.

:patriot:

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Amergin posted:

The relative velocity of money marginal propensity to consume is a time-proven FACT. Poor people spend. They cannot save because they are (likely) underwater in so many different directions that the extra money they earn goes right back out again into some industrialist's silk-lined pockets.

edit: Sorry, SORRY! I meant "marginal propensity to consume". Basically, if you are wealthy and you get a little extra, you're going to invest/save it. If you're scraping by (or living on almost no income) and you get a little extra, you're going to buy goods and services that you've been putting off. A poor person likely has a higher "marginal propensity to consume", and increasing minimum wage or safety net payouts will increase consumption and economic activity more than if you, say, reduce capital gains taxes.

anonumos fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Sep 5, 2014

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

I think it's time for Amergin to reveal his 50% stake in his local Burger King franchise so we can get to the heart of why he's so upset about the reduction of slave labor.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

amanasleep posted:

Of course, there are no other factors affecting the profits of fast food franchisees.

For a McDonald's, the average sales per unit is around $2.4 million, which means that Corporate is taking $300,000 annually right off the top. And this is not counting the fact that many of the franchisee's "costs" are equipment and supplies that they must order directly from corp at corp mandated prices.

Year to year, cost increases are usually, but not always, borne exclusively by franchisees. In the case of minimum wage legislation, all the large Fast Food corps are not going to allow price increases from their franchisees. Instead, the increased labor costs will come largely from franchise fees (and corporate profits), and secondarily from franchisee profits (where they can absorb them).

Heritage misses this, and thus all their predicted macro effects are bullshit.

Some mom and pop fast food restaurants will eat it, but these are a vanishingly tiny portion of the industry.

So a McDs franchise is baby's first business plus a big rear end tax?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

JT Jag posted:

People. If you have to engage Amergin in a debate, then for goodness sake don't let him take the high ground from the start. If you choose to debate him over a chart regarding future economic possibilities that was made by Heritage, he's already winning.

This is exactly what everyone's conservative friends actually do, though, so by that argument they're winning too. :ssh: