Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mortisXL
Jan 23, 2004
$297? More like $287!! LOL!

Mega64 posted:

I'd play a Final Fantasy-themed puzzle game. Puzzle Quest and its ilk showed you could combine the RPG experience with puzzles, and I think SE even published a RPG/puzzle hybrid or two. Just pare down the story aspect and focus more on the fanservice, plus find a way to bring in the job system for bonuses. Variety of battle music would be a huge plus, too.

Mistwalker's new game, Terra Battle, is supposed to be some sort of real-time tile arrangement RPG. But it's iOS and F2P so who knows how it will turn out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

MrMortisland posted:

Mistwalker's new game, Terra Battle, is supposed to be some sort of real-time tile arrangement RPG. But it's iOS and F2P so who knows how it will turn out.

More than likely awesome.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

MrMortisland posted:

Probably it will be some variation of Puzzles and Dragons, which there is nothing wrong with copying that model.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
I've been playing through Final Fantasy X HD slowly, and one thing that I didn't appreciate the first time I played it oh 10 years ago is that Tidus and Yuna swap roles by the end. Tidus at the start is optimistic and searching for a way to escape his allotted fate, being stuck in Spira. Yuna is resigned to her fate, accepts it and just moves along the path without looking and questioning it. Then Bahamut tells Tidus he is a dream, that they want to wake up, and Yuna kills Yunalesca. Suddenly Yuna is the one searching for a way to escape her fate, to die fighting Sin, and Tidus is the one resigned to disappearing and dying. And while I appreciate that Seymour is needed to provide some kind of antagonist once Sin disappears for a while until after Zanarkand I find his role sort of unsatisfying. I don't really have a suggestion on what I would have preferred, but his introduction where he as a Maester of Yevon is happy to go against those rules to try and do something good could have made for a fascinating alternate character perhaps.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Seymour would have been better if he wasn't the most Obviously Evil Evil to ever Evil. Basically everything about his role would have worked better if he wasn't so cartoonishly goddamn evil.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

quote:

Square Enix Recruiting Staff For A New Studio That Will Focus On Console RPGs

Square Enix are currently looking to recruit staff who will be part of the core members for a new studio that will focus on RPGs for consoles. Inside Games shares more details about the recruitment page that was recently put up by Square Enix.

According to the report, Square Enix are gathering the best people to put together a team of core members that will be in charge of developing a new RPG title for consoles.

At the moment, Square are looking for directors [battle and event], planners [lead and battle], programmers and lead programmers, marketing directors, and various designers ranging from technical artists to menu designers.

On the recruitment page, there’s a message that reads: “We went through all kinds of adventures back when we were children. Now that we’re adults, what kind of new stories can we come up with?”

This message is followed by information stating that they’re currently recruiting core staff members for a brand new studio that will specialize in RPGs. To be more specific, a project featuring a gathering of an elite team to develop a completely new RPG geared for consoles.

While they don’t share much more about what the game will be about, they’re looking for staff with experience in their respective fields, and the deadline is September 30, 2014.

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/09/05/square-enix-recruiting-staff-new-studio-will-focus-console-rpgs/

http://www.xn--rpg-l46fv4g868aqu6a.com/index.html (Recruitment Page)

It's kind of unusual that they're starting a new console game development studio rather than expanding their existing development teams. Their existing staff might be too entrenched in projects such as FFXIV:ARR's post launch content to be taken off in favor of another project. It's usually easier and less expensive to move existing employees around than hire new ones. Or their in-house staff isn't able to ship console games on time and they want to find people who can get the job done.

The recruitment page is very interesting. They're looking for people who experienced in the Unity engine and multiplatform development. Despite it's reputation, the use of Unity not necessarily a sign of a low budget game since the engine is quite versatile with a growing feature set. They're looking for 3D artists which again may not necessarily mean the game isn't played in 2D. All of the art recruitment listings want people who can work quickly.

The listings are all for specialized and junior disciplines. There isn't any mention of a project manager/director, scenario writer, or a character designer. So the writing and project management team might be in place at Square-Enix and they're just looking for a coding/asset production team with a handful of junior designers who can start development and get the job done quickly. The mention of Unity experience and the speed of the work suggests they want a quick development cycle. Regardless, we won't see since the results for 1-2 years since they just started recruiting.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
What about RPGs for PCs and mobile, you assholes. I swear. Xbox One is tanking world side. Wii U is Wii U. PS4 is front loaded and most people who seem to want one have one. So after all that you're going to make a team that concentrates on console RPGs?

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Sep 5, 2014

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Himuro posted:

What about RPGs for PCs and mobile, you assholes. I swear. Xbox One is tanking world side. Wii U is Wii U. PS4 is front loaded and most people who seem to want one have one. So after all that you're going to make a team that concentrates on console RPGs?

Because PC gamers are all sad nerds and its a dying market so who even cases.

(You seem kinda mad and should just kind of relax. Sorry you bought a computer to play video games.)

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

quote:

I wanted to explore Tabata's thoughts on bringing Type-0 to Vita and PC. While porting it to the Vita seems more unlikely than the PC, he reiterated that they are only focused on the console version for now. At least Tabata acknowledged that the live demo was running on a PC. "First and foremost, with the Vita version, we wanted to quickly release the PS4 and Xbox One HD version overseas, so we really prioritized optimizing it for those platforms. In terms of the PC version, it’s still up for discussion. It is a possibility, but it’s up for discussion. And it's running it on the PC right now, so…"

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/final-fantasy-director-hajime-tabata-on-type-0-fin/1100-6422102/

We have a hard 'maybe' on PC ports.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

(You seem kinda mad and should just kind of relax. Sorry you bought a computer to play video games.)

It's not so much I'm mad, so much as I'm frustrated that Square Enix continues to ignore a potential growing audience. Even MGSV is coming to Steam.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Sep 5, 2014

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Maybe you're being ironic but I seem to recall that revenue from PC games surpassed those from consoles recently.

In any case JRPG migration to the PC is slow, but at least it's not almost completely non-existent as it was a decade ago or so.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Himuro posted:

It's not so much I'm mad, so much as I'm frustrated that Square Enix continues to ignore a potential growing audience. Even MGSV is coming to Steam.

Ironically the western side of the company has amazing PC support

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

quote:

It's a series whose heritage is on console, but according to Final Fantasy producer Yoshinori Kitase, that may change.

"Let's not forget, when we developed the Final Fantasy 13 series, all three titles, at the early stages of development we were working on PC," Kitase told Eurogamer.

"Then we had to port it to the consoles. As far as the technology is concerned, it would have been possible for us to make a PC version, but we decided against it for two reasons: we looked at the market situation and we didn't think it would be a good idea, and also it would have involved lots of complex issues like security. So we decided not to do it this time around.

"But we see potential in it and there are lots of regions and countries where PC is very strong. So in terms of our hope of being able to deliver our games to every single country in the world and to as many gamers as possible, yes, we would definitely be interested in pursuing that route in the future."

Square Enix has recently released some of the Final Fantasy games on Steam, including Final Fantasy 7 and Final Fantasy 8. Kitase said these titles had enjoyed success, making more launches on Valve's enormously successful digital platform likely.

"Final Fantasy 7 and 8 are now available on PC and they've been proving quite popular," he said. "It's an early stage for us. We haven't got an awful lot of experience in this field. So when we have more know-how and experience in this market we would be very interested."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-02-19-square-enix-definitely-interested-in-bringing-future-final-fantasy-games-to-pc

For many Japanese publishers, PC and Steam distributions are afterthoughts because they've spent so many years selling their Japanese games on gaming consoles and brokering publishing deals with platform holders. Their Western distribution branches have to push for these types of initiatives.

However, Square-Enix is a global publisher who has had significant success on PC and access to sales data. They've published games such as FFVII, FFVIII, FFXI, FFXIV, and The Last Remnant on PC. In particular, FFXIV: ARR scales well on a wide range of PCs. Their Eidos games perform well on PC and some games, such as Nosgoth, are exclusive to the platform. They have access to public and private Steam statistics about how Japanese games perform. Many of their future games are running on technology that would make PC ports easier than it was in the past. There is no real reason why they are so ambivalent other than a company culture that has historically focused on gaming consoles and isn't as comfortable developing for PCs.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
The PC port of Dragon Quest X also does pretty well.

Granted this is also the same company that refused to count digital sales as sales.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

kirbysuperstar posted:

The PC port of Dragon Quest X also does pretty well.

Granted this is also the same company that refused to count digital sales as sales.

There's a PC version? Why doesn't google turn up anything?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Tae posted:

There's a PC version? Why doesn't google turn up anything?

Dunno! http://www.dqx.jp/windows/

Ran the trial with a VPN to see what it's like and it runs well. Though the button prompts with a controller refer to Wii U/CC placement, which is a little confusing at first.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Don't think it was mentioned in this thread yet, but the demo version of Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call is available on the 3DS e-shop. Comes with 2 themes, Edgar and Sabin's theme from FFVI and Advent Children version of J-E-N-O-V-A. Three difficulties for each track.

I'm terrible at it but it's also terribly addicting.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Schwartzcough posted:

Also, the way the ATB system works in IX, debuffs and buffs (like Mighty Guard) wear off almost immediately unless you're gaming the system by strategically opening menus on wait mode, so even if you land the spells they're terrible.

It gets worse: buff duration is determined by the caster's Spirit, and Quina's is something abysmal like "14SPR at Level 99."

hamburgers in pockets
Jun 18, 2005

Yeah, that's blood. It'll get better before the show.

Sunning posted:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-02-19-square-enix-definitely-interested-in-bringing-future-final-fantasy-games-to-pc

For many Japanese publishers, PC and Steam distributions are afterthoughts because they've spent so many years selling their Japanese games on gaming consoles and brokering publishing deals with platform holders. Their Western distribution branches have to push for these types of initiatives.

However, Square-Enix is a global publisher who has had significant success on PC and access to sales data. They've published games such as FFVII, FFVIII, FFXI, FFXIV, and The Last Remnant on PC. In particular, FFXIV: ARR scales well on a wide range of PCs. Their Eidos games perform well on PC and some games, such as Nosgoth, are exclusive to the platform. They have access to public and private Steam statistics about how Japanese games perform. Many of their future games are running on technology that would make PC ports easier than it was in the past. There is no real reason why they are so ambivalent other than a company culture that has historically focused on gaming consoles and isn't as comfortable developing for PCs.

You know, I'm probably in the minority here, but as someone who owns and has played through all the FFXIII games, I would actually buy a FFXIII Trilogy on Steam if it came with all the DLC and better framerate and resolution. I also hate myself.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

hamburgers in pockets posted:

You know, I'm probably in the minority here, but as someone who owns and has played through all the FFXIII games, I would actually buy a FFXIII Trilogy on Steam if it came with all the DLC and better framerate and resolution. I also hate myself.

Most of the cutscenes in the first game are pre-rendered, which let them use more anti-aliasing and higher quality character models (at the expense of them being horribly compressed for the 360 version to fit on three DVDs). This is despite the engine being designed to handle cutscenes well, and while they hide its flaws in the first game by setting most of it in narrow walkways with pretty skyboxes, having very few characters on-screen besides three party members and some enemies, switching to a different area for battles, and making very little use of dynamic shadows for the environments, when they tried to make a more traditional RPG with it they ended up being really choppy.

The corridors and battles would be much nicer looking at 1080p60, but you'd be stuck with 720p30 for regular cutscenes and 1080p30 for CGI scenes. If they still had the assets then they could re-render them in 1080p60 like The Last of Us: Remastered, but that doubled the size of that game from 25GB to 50, so Final Fantasy XIII would go from 50GB to 100. Both XIII-2 and Lightning Returns would benefit massively from a PC version though, since nearly everything is in-engine and in dire need of a smoother framerate.

This is all based off Eurogamer's Digital Foundry article. I would like to try a prettier version of XIII and LR, but I'm never touching XIII-2 again.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Kanfy posted:

Maybe you're being ironic but I seem to recall that revenue from PC games surpassed those from consoles recently.

That's why the poo poo is so hilariously annoying.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I would play the FF13 trilogy if it came to steam. What's the worst that can happen, I pay probably 20 bucks for 3 games? At least I can actually play it (only played FF13 at a friend's house).

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Really hoping for FFXV on steam. I really don't want to buy a ps4 for one goddamn game.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
That's assuming FFXV comes out.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Himuro posted:

That's why the poo poo is so hilariously annoying.

Again, Japanese developers really look at things from the Japanese market. PC gaming is not very prevalent in Japan. They make all their PC sales money from Western markets, which they have traditionally ignored as a secondary concern at best. Which is why so many Japanese developers are having a hard time unless they've learned to actually consider other countries in their development processes.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Schwartzcough posted:

Again, Japanese developers really look at things from the Japanese market. PC gaming is not very prevalent in Japan. They make all their PC sales money from Western markets, which they have traditionally ignored as a secondary concern at best. Which is why so many Japanese developers are having a hard time unless they've learned to actually consider other countries in their development processes.

Well, yeah. I already know that. It doesn't excuse it, though. Also, they focus on consoles when the Japanese have abandoned consoles, so are they REALLY targeting the Japanese market? Doesn't look like it. So who exactly are they trying to target? FFXV is exclusive to consoles, and the new consoles have barely any Japanese appeal, yet you're trying to argue that they're trying to cater to the Japanese? Especially with an Xbox One version of XV? Not buying that. And if not the Japanese, who? This numbers down the true reason they haven't released steam versions of their games: they just don't give a poo poo.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Sep 5, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Himuro posted:

Well, yeah. I already know that. It doesn't excuse it, though. Also, they focus on consoles when the Japanese have abandoned consoles, so are they REALLY targeting the Japanese market? Doesn't look like it. So who exactly are they trying to target? FFXV is exclusive to consoles, and the new consoles have barely any Japanese appeal, yet you're trying to argue that they're trying to cater to the Japanese? Especially with an Xbox One version of XV? Not buying that. And if not the Japanese, who? This numbers down the true reason they haven't released steam versions of their games: they just don't give a poo poo.

They are trying to get the Japanese audience to buy consoles. That is basically the only reason why Dragon Quest Heroes exists.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That Metal Slime PS4 ain't being sold to Americans, that's for sure.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

ImpAtom posted:

They are trying to get the Japanese audience to buy consoles. That is basically the only reason why Dragon Quest Heroes exists.

Sure, but I doubt it'll revive the stagnant Japanese console industry. When you mean consoles, you mean ps4, yes? It's going to be on ps3 as well, and I think it's safe to assume those who have an interest in DQ:H will more than likely already have ps3's, and in the end it won't really move much hardware. Pretty much all the ps4 Japanese games are available on other systems, whether it's ps3 or vita. There's not much incentive for a Japanese to buy a ps4, and this is ignoring the overall point that S-E cannot change Japanese culture. Japanese are rejecting consoles because they're impratical for the average Japanese's life, not because they just simply prefer mobile/handhelds over consoles. So it'd be naive to think that DQ:H has any reasonable chance of convincing Japanese players that consoles are cool again, especially since more than likely, DQXI is going to be on 3ds/Vita anyways.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Sep 6, 2014

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
If it's any consolation if you have to buy a console, the PS4 is the nicest console I've played on since the PS2 and I've played them all and have the usual stupidly huge Steam library.

iOS and the 3DS are the most popular gaming platforms in Japan in that order. Kind of nuts but it means that AAA gaming is just not a priority in Japan right now.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Beef Waifu posted:

Except those of us that are going to import it, because it's beautiful :retrogames:

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I'm hoping that S-E puts more into mobile rpgs. Chaos Rings 3 is looking to have potential, though they've animue'd it up. Looking forward to see where they go since ios is my main gaming platform these days.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

Himuro posted:

ios is my main gaming platform these days.

:frogout:

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Himuro posted:

I'm hoping that S-E puts more into mobile rpgs. Chaos Rings 3 is looking to have potential, though they've animue'd it up. Looking forward to see where they go since ios is my main gaming platform these days.

We're all so glad you came back

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

We're all so glad you came back

Get used to it, rear end in a top hat.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

Himuro posted:

Get used to it, rear end in a top hat.

Haahaha drat.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Sunning posted:

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/09/05/square-enix-recruiting-staff-new-studio-will-focus-console-rpgs/

http://www.xn--rpg-l46fv4g868aqu6a.com/index.html (Recruitment Page)

It's kind of unusual that they're starting a new console game development studio rather than expanding their existing development teams. Their existing staff might be too entrenched in projects such as FFXIV:ARR's post launch content to be taken off in favor of another project. It's usually easier and less expensive to move existing employees around than hire new ones. Or their in-house staff isn't able to ship console games on time and they want to find people who can get the job done.

The recruitment page is very interesting. They're looking for people who experienced in the Unity engine and multiplatform development. Despite it's reputation, the use of Unity not necessarily a sign of a low budget game since the engine is quite versatile with a growing feature set. They're looking for 3D artists which again may not necessarily mean the game isn't played in 2D. All of the art recruitment listings want people who can work quickly.

The listings are all for specialized and junior disciplines. There isn't any mention of a project manager/director, scenario writer, or a character designer. So the writing and project management team might be in place at Square-Enix and they're just looking for a coding/asset production team with a handful of junior designers who can start development and get the job done quickly. The mention of Unity experience and the speed of the work suggests they want a quick development cycle. Regardless, we won't see since the results for 1-2 years since they just started recruiting.

Yoko Taro, this is your chance for a new game.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Kanfy posted:

Don't think it was mentioned in this thread yet, but the demo version of Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call is available on the 3DS e-shop. Comes with 2 themes, Edgar and Sabin's theme from FFVI and Advent Children version of J-E-N-O-V-A. Three difficulties for each track.

I'm terrible at it but it's also terribly addicting.

Speaking of, I actually just bought the first game. I like it, but it could use a bit of work. I'm kind of disappointed that the tracks are basically direct rips and not at all modified for this kind of game (e.g. with added flourishes or proper endings). The I - V music tends to get insanely repetitive as a result. Most disappointing of all, the game boasts marvellous remastered tracks in the menus and you can't play them or anything like them. At least, that's the impression because I haven't really been playing enough to get a feel for the types of unlockable content.

I'll have to check out that demo. I'm liking how Curtain Call looks so far.

Beef Waifu posted:

This is the first time I've heard of this so I had to look it up:

Please tell me that metal babble ornament is included :allears:

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Mak0rz posted:

This is the first time I've heard of this so I had to look it up:

Please tell me that metal babble ornament is included :allears:

Yup, the babble is the USB cover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Mak0rz posted:

Speaking of, I actually just bought the first game.

Probably not the best timing since CC includes everything from the original game, including the DLC tracks. Full list is here.

I haven't played the first game, but while lots of remastered tracks would of course be nice to have, it's quite a bit of extra work compared to just putting in the originals. At least CC has thrice as many tracks so there's a lot more variety and most of the new ones are from the post-SNES era titles.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Sep 6, 2014