Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Started Chrono Cross. Apparently missed out on Leena joining my party because I said "yes" to Kid asking to come with me. Sue me, I'm a nice guy and she just saved my rear end against Karsh. I'm not going to turn around and be rude and say "no, I don't want to travel with you after you just helped me." My Serge is gonna be a nice guy.

But the reason I'm making this post is - should I play through the game naturally and come what may on who I can get in my party or should I be on the lookout for certain party members? I've already been told on another forum not to help someone who will get sick even though that totally goes against my Nice Guy Serge instincts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

the sick person decision is the only one that even kind of matters, and it only matters because you get one of the few party members that are both a. good in battle and b. not obnoxious

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Yeah, I would probably recommend not being nice to the sick person but other than that I don't think anything really matters.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women
Friendly Factory fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Jun 4, 2018

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Most of the characters are either bad or take a ton of work to make good. The main character, a character who can steal, and a character who is green or yellow will be your team for the last two thirds of the game regardless.

P.S this is most definitely one of those "make sure you steal from bosses" games, because the items you get that way are not available any other way and they are very, very good.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I think the not-Glenn choice is fairly good too, isn't she? That fairy?

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

all the fairies in chrono cross are stupid and deserve to be genocided.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

None of the characters actually matter anyways, all you're unlocking is accents.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

Roughly 80 percent of the characters in Chrono Cross are complete filler and contribute nothing to the game after their initial recruitment. The other 20 percent mostly join as a matter of course during the story. There's really only a handful you would want that you can miss. There's really no good reason to go out of your way to recruit everyone unless you really care about completionism. It's not like a game like Suikoden where there's mechanics tied to recruitment and its beneficial to recruit everyone even if you won't put most of them in your party.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

NikkolasKing posted:

Started Chrono Cross. Apparently missed out on Leena joining my party because I said "yes" to Kid asking to come with me. Sue me, I'm a nice guy and she just saved my rear end against Karsh. I'm not going to turn around and be rude and say "no, I don't want to travel with you after you just helped me." My Serge is gonna be a nice guy.

But the reason I'm making this post is - should I play through the game naturally and come what may on who I can get in my party or should I be on the lookout for certain party members? I've already been told on another forum not to help someone who will get sick even though that totally goes against my Nice Guy Serge instincts.
Basically anyone worth having in your party, besides Glenn, will join automatically. I like Chrono Cross a whole heck of a lot, more than most probably, and even I've never bothered with recruiting everyone.

E: I guess technically you could miss Guile your first time in Termina. He's pretty cool so I'd suggest asking him to be your guide amongst the three(?) choices.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Sep 4, 2014

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Nate RFB posted:

Basically anyone worth having in your party, besides Glenn, will join automatically. I like Chrono Cross a whole heck of a lot, more than most probably, and even I've never bothered with recruiting everyone.

orlha is good. but for some reason in addition to being optional she is the last person you can recruit. it was far more important that you have early access to such thrilling characters as "korcha" and "the guy who is afukcing radish holy poo poo"

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

Nate RFB posted:

I did the first time with aid of GameFaqs, but I was young and foolish then.

The Timely Howard
Dec 26, 2008

ASK ME WHAT MAKES ME THINK I'M SO FUNKY

GulagDolls posted:

orlha is good. but for some reason in addition to being optional she is the last person you can recruit. it was far more important that you have early access to such thrilling characters as "korcha" and "the guy who is afukcing radish holy poo poo"

a party that doesn't consist entirely of skeletons, blocks of wood and mexican wrestlers isn't a party worth using

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

BottledBodhisvata posted:

It was made by the guy who kind of really started the whole "Killing God" theme. It's like...I never loved Xenogears that much, 'cause the gameplay sucked a fat donkey dick most of the time, but I absolutely loved all the of atmosphere, character designs, and of course the music. It was from that era where JRPGs were cool--straight up loving cool, and I'm playing this game and it's reminding me--yeah, we know cool, alright? Giant robots, giant laser swords, gently caress you, this is awesome

and it is.

Its like you read my soul.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women
Friendly Factory fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Jun 4, 2018

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Friendly Factory posted:

The good characters are as follows:

Serge, Kid, Guile, Norris, Glenn, Radius, Fargo, Greco. All but two of them join automagically. I'm fond of other characters that you can recruit, but these are the only ones I feel should have been recruitable (aside from the two spoiler characters).
Karsh is pretty good too. He was my go-to Green in any run that didn't have Glenn.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

And I still think Razzly - the fairy - is pretty good.

But honestly I think I mostly went through the game switching everyone around constantly. Not optimal but I liked all the designs. Well, most of them.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

Friendly Factory posted:

is-om the best

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
Yes hes good and there's also a literal dog (???) and you can be an rear end in a top hat and drag your ex girlfriend all over reality to save your new beau. And draggy. And the alien dude. None of these people are hot poo poo though.

Chrono Cross is another game that benefits from gorgeous art and music. I'll forgive it for the batshit ex post facto chrono trigger shenanigans because of that.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Yep I got Poshul in my party. He's in permanent reserve for the known future now that I have Guile though. Total accident there, looks like I could have recruited a few people in Termina but I'm very happy I got Magus. Er, Not-Magus.

The boss kicked rear end something fierce though. Some sort of dragon thing right before you enter Viper Manor. Part of it was me not being set up well enough with Serge's new White Element attacks and so this was sort of a wake-up call and maybe the trick was only to take out one of his little cronies. First attempt I took them both out and he proceeded to constantly nail Serge with what I guess was a Black Element attack because...it looked black and it did insane damage to him. So after that I was like "okay, leave the small fry alive and concentrate on the main dude." That got Kid killed several times and I already read the warning on here about missing out on stars so I couldn't let that happen and just Ran Away every time she died. Successful attempt I killed one of the little guys and then the big guy didn't use any of his super flashy ultra powerful moves at all. Either that was the trick or I just got lucky with his AI.

In any event, I win. A victory is a victory.

Also is Serge's new girlfriend Kid and the old one Leena? Kid is gonna disappear? I didn't expect that.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Kid is obviously the main heroine/love interest of the story; what's weird is that I don't think Serge ever technically breaks up with Leena.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

NikkolasKing posted:

Also is Serge's new girlfriend Kid and the old one Leena? Kid is gonna disappear? I didn't expect that.

Don't worry you get her back before too long. That's not even the weirdest sudden character disappearance the game throws at you. Not by a long shot.

And yeah Leena gets demoted to the second piece of tail on the side I guess with zero communication. Not even a "whoops I have protagonist dimension hopping powers and the best magic ever time to trade up" courtesy letter. Kinda rude.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Nathilus posted:

you can be an rear end in a top hat and drag your ex girlfriend all over reality to save your new beau.

The Leena that joins your party is not your ex-girlfriend, although she does weirdly claim to have had a crush on a dead seven-year-old you. It's going to be quite a while before home world Serge and home world Leena see each other again.

Edit: also the silent protagonist thing always allowed me to project my own attitude toward Kid onto Serge; that is, ambivalent.

Dross fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Sep 4, 2014

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Dross posted:

The Leena that joins your party is not your ex-girlfriend, although she does weirdly claim to have had a crush on a dead seven-year-old you. It's going to be quite a while before home world Serge and home world Leena see each other again.

Edit: also the silent protagonist thing always allowed me to project my own attitude toward Kid onto Serge; that is, ambivalent.

Suddenly the choice to be an rear end in a top hat to her and get Glenn makes more sense.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Friendly Factory posted:

Serge, Kid, Guile, Norris, Glenn, Radius, Fargo, Greco. All but two of them join automagically. I'm fond of other characters that you can recruit, but these are the only ones I feel should have been recruitable (aside from the two spoiler characters).

Sprigg is pretty great, too. She starts with a really strong Doppelgang and you can get her a ton more of them with different strengths and weaknesses, making her pretty versatile. IIRC she can use a triple tech if she's morphed into something, but I can't remember what.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sprigg can triple tech when she's morphed into Slash but that is NG+ only.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

Sprigg pretty much never left my party once I got her because Dopplegang is such a powerful/flexible move once you get some higher-level enemy forms. My favorite was being able to turn into ED-209 from Robocop once you fight them in that futuristic time city.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Noooope. They get to Altamira and pretty much spend the entire time going "I thought Presea had an older sister, but Alicia's clearly a kid. Welp, no point thinking about it" :downs:.

Let me tell you an infuriating thing: They never figure this one out. Even in the sequel (which you should only play if you're desperate) the whole party is still confused about it and Presea somehow manages to keep the secret.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Friendly Factory posted:

I BELIEVE YOU FORGOT SOMEBODY.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Wow, Kid really wasn't out of my group for too long. I think all that happened while she was absent was the whole ordeal on Fargo's Ship and that's pretty much it. Now she's back in my party and I'm rolling with her, Serge and Glenn and about to head to Mount Pyre. I debated on Guile or Glenn for a bit but I take it Glenn has a lot more Plot to him, especially in the upcoming section since he is going against his lord/general/whatever on acount of him being used by the obviously evil Lynx.

Kinda boggles my mind Harle and Lynx are recruitable? Harle at the very least I kinda just want to stab to death a lot.

Finally hearing some more tunes to justify the legendary status the Chrono Cross soundtrack holds. The world map theme for Another World has been probably my favorite track thus far but I really loved the song that played during Kid's campfire-side chat with Serge.

Also kinda disappointed no interesting dialogue with "Home Leena" after we kinda just vanished on her several hours ago. I wonder if she's like the Alice (from Xenogears) of this game where it starts off making it look like he's important but then she is just totally forgotten. Alice at least got to be vaporized though and I figured a similar fate would befall Leena but right now it just looks like she'll be staring at those swimming kids forever.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Played a bit more of Tales of Symphonia.

I just watch the Great Kharlan Tree gently caress over Palmacosta good and proper, then rescued Chocolat from the Human Ranch. I'm going to laugh if the party just caused Cacao to die in a catastrophe of their own making :munch:. Also, the much-vaunted Mana Cannon was kinda disappointing. I wanted a big-rear end magitek death ray and instead all I got was a fancy lighthouse :sigh:.

Also, Kratos is either a goddamn idiot or he's fast approaching Citan-levels of assholishness. I get the usual "don't tell the party everything" motif when you want to trick the heroes into doing something bad that helps your own schemes, but when you actively nudge the party into loving up your own plans along with everyone elses, you might want to suggest that they stop some time before they unleash the big-rear end, potentially-world-ending, cataclysm that kills at least one town of innocents.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

NikkolasKing posted:

Also kinda disappointed no interesting dialogue with "Home Leena" after we kinda just vanished on her several hours ago. I wonder if she's like the Alice (from Xenogears) of this game where it starts off making it look like he's important but then she is just totally forgotten. Alice at least got to be vaporized though and I figured a similar fate would befall Leena but right now it just looks like she'll be staring at those swimming kids forever.

IIRC, you only get more with Home Leena if you choose her other world self. The game is really fond of throwing characters away if they're not essential to the main story.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Serge, Kid and Glenn is the best party

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
Stealing should have just been an element, to be honest. Chrono Cross' steals are just so damned good that you're significantly hobbling yourself if you're not using a thief. Since you're forced to use Serge and the party limit is 3, the large array of characters isn't as impressive as it seems.

As if that wasn't enough, the "levelling" system actively discourages you from switching party members. It's like they hated their own idea of a large cast of playable characters.

That said, Serge is so god damned broken that you can literally run anything alongside him, give them nothing but consumables and support elements, and breeze through the game. Serge brings all the rear end kicking you'll need.

Heavy neutrino fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Sep 5, 2014

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Paperhouse posted:

Serge, Kid and Glenn is the best party

That's the only way I ever rolled, wherever possible. All this talk of CC is making me nostalgic. I think I might need to go back and play it again.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Same, I bought the PSN version when it was on sale recently but only got around to playing the intro. I don't think I've actually played it properly since it first came out.

Forest Thief Pud
Dec 26, 2011
Wasn't one of the dumb things about CC's leveling system that if a character was dead at the end of a battle where you got a growth star, you just permanently miss out on some stat increases or was that just a dumb thing people thought?

Also, the fact that they just kill off Harley for the sake of the convoluted plot is still one of the things that annoys me the most about CC.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

Forest Thief Pud posted:

Wasn't one of the dumb things about CC's leveling system that if a character was dead at the end of a battle where you got a growth star, you just permanently miss out on some stat increases or was that just a dumb thing people thought?

Sort of. Stat growths are randomized but tend towards a certain maximum value, so although you do lose out on stats, you'll halfway sort of make up for it through subsequent levels in the long run.

It's a lot less crippling than missing mini-growths, and besides you can run from every boss in the game, at any point in the fight, with a 100% success rate (it leads to amusing situations/dialogue nearly every time) so if someone dies and you're out of revives, just re-try.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Heavy neutrino posted:

Stealing should have just been an element, to be honest. Chrono Cross' steals are just so damned good that you're significantly hobbling yourself if you're not using a thief. Since you're forced to use Serge and the party limit is 3, the large array of characters isn't as impressive as it seems.

You're right about stealing being drat good and needing to just be an element, but the game is easy enough that you aren't hobbling yourself by not using it. Just use your powerful as balls magic all day erryday and you'll be fine. You get so many element slots that battles turn into disco-offs in the later portions of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I have noticed things becoming easier as the game progresses. The first few boss fights were by far the hardest but as we get more and more Elemet slots and I load up with Healing, the threat becomes less and less.

Although there was one boss in Fort Dragonia who was a pain.... This little face thing that did "Mode Change" a lot and nothing seemed to hurt it that well. Maybe I just wasn't attacking with the right Elements. In any event it must have had very low HP as I still won even doing pretty poo poo damage.

Right now, stuck in the Home dimension, I'm rolling with a party of Lynx, Radius and Harle. But holy poo poo I hav ea ton of new party members I kinda just tumbled across.
Sprigg
Funguy
Van
Zappa
Norris

When I actually have a choice of my party again, I'm not sure who will be in third place. Serge and Kid gotta be there obviously but third spot? Ehhh....Glenn maybe. I'm not too wild on any of the characters apart from those two as of yet.