Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

SHISHKABOB posted:

I found that staying behind him helps a lot. I never killed him on my own, but it helps oodles with staying alive. And when he flies up into the air always sort of run at him but at an angle so that you are headed to his back, but not directly under him. Just roll a lot I guess when he tries to swipe at you with his head or claws. also cut off his tail if you wanna be cool.

Basically this, I spent 80% of the fight just running towards him and spitting curses when he took off to fly away JUST as I reach him. I actually found it easier to solo him then to summon help just to keep his HP low, and most pubbies have trouble not getting killed by his fire/toxin blast that he shoots straight down on occasion. Other than that, i just hug the back of his right leg and bail out when he hovers in the air to avoid the flame blast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Previous Jesus
Jun 5, 2013
Play 200+ hours of Monster Hunter so that Sinh gives you more or less no trouble.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Is it just me or do those giant dog things in the gutter have the most bullshit hitboxes ever.

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Previous Jesus posted:

Play 200+ hours of Monster Hunter so that Sinh gives you more or less no trouble.

Haha, this is exactly how I felt when I played DS1. The game was hard, I was dying left and right, had no idea what I was doing.
Then I got to the gaping dragon, and my brain snapped into Monster Hunter Tri mode. I murdered it the first try, got his tail and everything.

Then went right back to dying around every corner.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

SHISHKABOB posted:

Is it just me or do those giant dog things in the gutter have the most bullshit hitboxes ever.

They are the most unfinished enemy, the animations are delayed and the hitbox of their attacks is much bigger than the actual enemy in all directions except the back. I always fight them extremely carefully or not at all, it's just bullshit (less than mace drakekeepers, but still).

e: http://gfycat.com/NarrowInfiniteFairybluebird

lordfrikk fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Sep 6, 2014

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Genocyber posted:

He was just rolling, the Simpleton's Ring in the second DLC makes you invisible in your roll animation (as well as adding 5 Adp).

Oh hey, really? That's neat, I should go back to the tower and find it.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

lordfrikk posted:

They are the most unfinished enemy, the animations are delayed and the hitbox of their attacks is much bigger than the actual enemy in all directions except the back. I always fight them extremely carefully or not at all, it's just bullshit (less than mace drakekeepers, but still).

They also do this: http://a.pomf.se/xmjvrl.webm

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Walk towards them slightly, wait till they start to bite, walk backwards slightly. Attack.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

I think the Amana Mages have the same problem in that if you knock them down, they'll never get back up.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

lordfrikk posted:

e: http://gfycat.com/NarrowInfiniteFairybluebird

Mace drake keepers are just assholes cause they're like SWING SWING SWKNG MOTHERFUCKER YOU AINT GOT TIME TO DODGE BITCH gently caress those guys

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

What is the best bow for a 40/40 quality build with no casting stats to speak of?

Batigh
Dec 21, 2009

Time_pants posted:

What is the best bow for a 40/40 quality build with no casting stats to speak of?

Hunter's Blackbow for the fast(est?) notching and tied-for-lowest stamina consumption. Otherwise, Dragonrider Bow to make all your arrows hit like loving trucks, even without any INT to speak of.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

SHISHKABOB posted:

gently caress those dogs. I tend to just run through the gutter now instead of killing anything, and I've been killed by one of those dogs when I'm clearly behind it and running away It's like they have some magic AOE cleave attack in their simple bite.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
As if he wasn't already bad rear end enough, Sir Alonne can parry you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6bxND4XbY4

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Stokes posted:

As if he wasn't already bad rear end enough, Sir Alonne can parry you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6bxND4XbY4

Just get behind him and smack him upside his head with a blunt weapon. He's got nothing that can really deal with you being behind him.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

SunAndSpring posted:

Just get behind him and smack him upside his head with a blunt weapon. He's got nothing that can really deal with you being behind him.

Er...? I'm not looking for PvE fight advice. That's not me in the video. I am just trying to show people A Cool Thing.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Stokes posted:

Er...? I'm not looking for PvE fight advice. That's not me in the video. I am just trying to show people A Cool Thing.

Some people know nothing more than draining every ounce of fun from a video game

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Bob NewSCART posted:

Some people know nothing more than draining every ounce of fun from a video game

I had fun once and it was awful.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Batigh posted:

Hunter's Blackbow for the fast(est?) notching and tied-for-lowest stamina consumption. Otherwise, Dragonrider Bow to make all your arrows hit like loving trucks, even without any INT to speak of.

Awesome. And are Poison Arrows still the best general-use ammunition for bows the way they seemed to have been in DkS, or would I get more mileage out of, say, Magic Arrows or Fire Arrows?

Also, is the Sea Bow basically completely outclassed by the Hunter's Blackbo? I remember hearing good things about it, but is it just a "it's great for the point in the game you're able to get it" sort of thing like the Lizard Staff?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Time_pants posted:

Awesome. And are Poison Arrows still the best general-use ammunition for bows the way they seemed to have been in DkS, or would I get more mileage out of, say, Magic Arrows or Fire Arrows?

Also, is the Sea Bow basically completely outclassed by the Hunter's Blackbo? I remember hearing good things about it, but is it just a "it's great for the point in the game you're able to get it" sort of thing like the Lizard Staff?

Elemental arrows are the best for damage output, poison are the best for larger tankier things, to poison and then you fight them in melee.

Hunter's Blackbow is pretty much the best regular bow, being one of the strongest, fastest, and least stamina consuming.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Hunters black bow utterly trivialized shrine of Amana it was great.

And yeah poison the big fucks and then slash them to pieces in melee. Poison does I think a constant total of like 1k damage?

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Boing: http://a.pomf.se/zrbtjh.CT

http://a.pomf.se/npekub.webm
http://a.pomf.se/xuzkme.webm

The sword launch height doesn't work on other players.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

SHISHKABOB posted:

Hunters black bow utterly trivialized shrine of Amana it was great.

And yeah poison the big fucks and then slash them to pieces in melee. Poison does I think a constant total of like 1k damage?

Every bow does that. All you need is wooden arrows and whatever bow you have the stats for.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Good mod.

Batigh
Dec 21, 2009
Dudes are poising through two-handed Majestic Greatsword R2s + Stone Ring. How.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

lordfrikk posted:

Although just for the record, gently caress the mace drakekeepers. It took me forever to work out the exact timing and safe spots for those nutters, in my first playthrough I'd been through the dragon shrine enough to empty everything out, but the two mace guys were still there because I'd basically refused to fight them.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Manatee Cannon posted:

Every bow does that. All you need is wooden arrows and whatever bow you have the stats for.

yeah but it was a lot better at killing them in like three shots or less

than like five or whatever

it was fun ok :(

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

Genocyber posted:

It doesn't help that we don't really know anything about the primordial serpents, what their end goals are, or even what they are. I mean their name suggests they're from the beginning of the world, but they're not mentioned in the opening cinematic. Or much at all in the first game, really, and not at all in this.
I know this is from pages back, but, well...

Watchdragon Parma posted:

A shield decorated by intertwined dragons.

The black and white contrast depicts the
ebb and flow of the fate of all things living,
and the serpentine dragons that watch over
the march of time.

The bearer of this shield will be blessed
by great fortune in battle.
I think it's as close as we're ever gonna get to what the Fraampt and Kaathe were/wanted: they're assholes supposed to watch over the cycle who probably spend most of their time being really bored and make it up by trying to see which one can get the PC to do what they want. They're probably gonna be really mad when they find out what the Emerald Herald did with you in DkS2, assuming they weren't the dragons she was born from...

Looking over her dialogue now, I'm wondering if that was her whole deal:

Emerald Herald, outside the Throne of Want posted:

When met at the stairs leading to the Throne of Want
My journey is already complete.
My name is Shanalotte.
The dragon gave me this name, for I was born with none.
I was born of dragons, contrived by men.
By ones who would cozen fate herself… They are the ones who created me.
But they failed.
I did not come out as intended.

Fate would not be bested, and men were cursed once again.
If you proceed, Nashandra will come after you.
Knowing that you will take the throne, and link the fire.
She covets the First Flame, and the Great Soul.
Put Nashandra to rest.
That Aldia wasn't trying to create one of the Ancient Dragons so much as one of the endless serpents to cause the age to turn over again. Hmmm...

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

...but primordial serpents aren't dragons?

Captain Matchbox
Sep 22, 2008

BOP THE STOATS
Does getting invaded favour the invader's connection or something? Every time I fight someone it's pointless and I may as well just pray on the ground because they can quite happily skip through my strikes while being able to stab me from miles away

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Gamefaqs posted:

She'sa creamy skinned white haired girl with pigtails carrying a big sword and she's just summoned me into Aldias Keep. Fashions: a desert Sorceress skirt. Bare from the waist up. Creamy bare arms. It was a hot night so not inappropriate. The face: strikingly attractive. A good amount of time went into that face. It was original. Definitely unique. And is that a crown on her head? I really needed a closer look so as we run through the level I steal zoomed-in glances. We make short work of the ogres and undead beasts with ranged attacks but yeah I really want to see her use that sword. We come to the acid pit and then stop. Here we go. I start removing my Wanderer Set piece by piece. Finally, the hood comes off and my mid-length green hair makes its debut. She takes off the skirt and there we are. Expressionless. Two rag-clad gorgeous females with swords. We stand for a moment. There are no inhibitions. We're both experienced. Finally I'm going to get to see her swing that sword cause it's time to get rancid. We wade into the acid pit and start hacking through hounds of hell. It's glorious and lust driven. Her skills are good. Really good but it's over too soon and we emerge from the acid to dry off and I can't wait to keep going. I start to put back on my Wanderer set when she gestures. No way. No way, she says. Ok. Ok. I get it. I start taking it all back off again and I get a bow. Then another bow. This is more than lust and I'm starting to feel that old special feeling... Wait! the message appears. Invasion. I run into the acid in an attempt to initiate a naked gank spank but when I turn around I don't see my friend. She's run off to fight the invader and probably assumes I'm right behind her. NOOOOO!! I don't have time to get my armour on. I panic and run after her. As I come up the stairs there she is fighting the jester clad invader. I run over to help but I'm too late. The devil combusts her beautiful body into oblivion. Enraged I destroy what's left of the jester but it matters not. He's won and we all fade out. I try and wave but I don't know if she saw it…

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Praseodymi posted:

The Primordial Serpents are likely some sort of precursor or distant cousin of the Everlasting Dragons. They are probably outside of the cycle as well, given how long Frampt and Kaathe have been around without incident.

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

Praseodymi posted:

As far back as Ds1 there was stuff hinting that they were, actually:

Covetous Gold/Silver Serpent Ring, Dark Souls 1 posted:

The serpent is an imperfect dragon and symbol
of the Undead. Its habit of devouring prey
even larger than itself has led to an
association with gluttony.

The Watchdragon Parma makes the link pretty explicit, I think. If you don't believe me here's a Wiki page with a pretty decent image: http://darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com/Watchdragon+Parma

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

HaitianDivorce posted:

As far back as Ds1 there was stuff hinting that they were, actually:

The Watchdragon Parma makes the link pretty explicit, I think. If you don't believe me here's a Wiki page with a pretty decent image: http://darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com/Watchdragon+Parma

Huh, never noticed the big flappy jowls on the shield before. I still think you're onto the wrong idea though. It makes much more sense that Aldia created the Ancient Dragon because he was trying to become immortal, to 'break the cycle' of death and hollowing. It's stated that both him and Vendrick were trying to do so, and also explains why Vendrick disowned him, thinking he was going about it in the wrong way.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

SHISHKABOB posted:

yeah but it was a lot better at killing them in like three shots or less

than like five or whatever

it was fun ok :(

You should have seen what it was like before the nerfed Lightning Spear. One hit to kill and almost unlimited range, plus you had way more casts than you would ever need.

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

Praseodymi posted:

Huh, never noticed the big flappy jowls on the shield before. I still think you're onto the wrong idea though. It makes much more sense that Aldia created the Ancient Dragon because he was trying to become immortal, to 'break the cycle' of death and hollowing. It's stated that both him and Vendrick were trying to do so, and also explains why Vendrick disowned him, thinking he was going about it in the wrong way.

Probably. :shrug: It appeals to me a in meta way if Aldia tried to create another Primordial Serpent to try and start/stop the cycle again, had it come out as the Emerald Herald and then hosed off to become a false Ancient Dragon himself, only for her to serve the exact same role in this game as Frampt and Kaathe did in the last one, but I know I'm just spinning my wheels and that that's probably not it and it certainly doesn't explain Naavlan's whole "some say she's the last Firekeeper" thing.

Batigh
Dec 21, 2009

Batigh posted:

Dudes are poising through two-handed Majestic Greatsword R2s + Stone Ring. How.

Update: The majestic greatsword was in the left-hand, of course, and later against the same guy, a two-handed R1 from a Fume Sword in the right hand (25 base poise damage) staggered him out of his swing on the first attack. Later on it didn't and I got flattened for my troubles. PSA: the entire poise system is larping rhino bullshit. hth

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOV3QnZeiIQ

Another fantastic video from the bellfreed luna dude.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Holy poo poo why didn't I use the Bow of Want before? :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Lag really makes pvp in this game seem arbitrary and counterintuitive. I love getting stabbed midroll while the enemies' spear is like 10 feet away from me.

translation: I am terrible at dark souls 2 pvp and I'm too stupid to learn how to get better.