Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dud root
Mar 30, 2008
The complaint is valid against say, Katarina from Dungeon Siege 3 who had stilettos and visible G-string. The Witcher outfits are much more sensible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

dud root posted:

The complaint is valid against say, Katarina from Dungeon Siege 3 who had stilettos and visible G-string. The Witcher outfits are much more sensible

That settles it, I'm boycotting The Witcher 3 until Triss and Yennefer are both wearing visible G-strings.

Roshnak
Jul 22, 2007

GrossMurpel posted:

Haha I just tried crafting one of the swords without saving to try it out and the effect is hilarious.
And I'm also wondering whether the +25% damage to gargoyles and dragons from Deithwen is really better than the vitality drain/giving vitality to Geralt ability of the Dark Mode swords. Any input?

E: Can I just sell the diagrams after I craft parts of the armor? I won't need them anymore, right?

Honestly, all of the Dark Mode equipment is unnecessary. If we're talking strictly bonuses, I would say that Weeper's is probably not worth it, since you shouldn't be getting hit and losing health, anyway, and there are a lot of gargoyles and a couple of large monsters to fight in Act 3 to make Deithwen's bonus more attractive.

I honestly can't think of a single time where vitality drain on a Dark Mode sword saved my life.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

funakupo posted:

Riding boots with heels, even some high heeled, are extremely common in almost every country. I also don't understand the complaint about wrong shoes on Ciri/Yennefer is representative of fantastical or even partially realistic setting. Current and historical fashion show otherwise.

Boots with heels were designed for riding, as they help keep your foot from slipping too far forward in the stirrup.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

GrossMurpel posted:

That settles it, I'm boycotting The Witcher 3 until Triss and Yennefer are both wearing visible G-strings.

Give the Nexus twenty seconds after game's release and they'll both be nude.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
I'm 100% on board with de-oversexualizing female characters, but honestly complaining about the outfits in the witcher (at least W2-3) seems silly. On one hand, there's so many better things to complain about. On the other hand these are some of the least sexualized costumes in the industry. But maybe I'm an old fogey who's still comparing things to Paul Steed's infamous "crackwhore".

EDIT: I mean better things to complain about regarding the sexual content and portrayal of women in the witcher, I'm not doing the whole "how can you complain about videogames when people are dying in syria" thing.

Comte de Saint-Germain fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Sep 6, 2014

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Roshnak posted:

Honestly, all of the Dark Mode equipment is unnecessary. If we're talking strictly bonuses, I would say that Weeper's is probably not worth it, since you shouldn't be getting hit and losing health, anyway, and there are a lot of gargoyles and a couple of large monsters to fight in Act 3 to make Deithwen's bonus more attractive.

I honestly can't think of a single time where vitality drain on a Dark Mode sword saved my life.

I could use the vitality drain and armor ratings of the equipment to riposte monsters (because they still hit you when you do that).

Cirian
Nov 7, 2002
Fun Shoe

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

On one hand, there's so many better things to complain about.

Actually, on this point, one of the things I found with the Witcher 2 was that the ingame cinematography was pretty bad; just in terms of pacing, sound design, camera angles etc. As an example, look at the scene where you find Dandelion on the gallows, the actual content is fine, but the delivery is a big let down and it makes the scene lose a lot of tension. Has this been improved with the third entry?

I guess I'm just hoping that some of the incredible guys you have doing the trailers at least have a look over the ingame cutscenes now.

Roshnak
Jul 22, 2007

GrossMurpel posted:

I could use the vitality drain and armor ratings of the equipment to riposte monsters (because they still hit you when you do that).

Yeah, they do, and it's really annoying because on Dark Mode you really can't afford to get hit that often. That's why you should never ever riposte and instead just roll away from attacks. Preferably around the back of the enemies so you can chop them.

But if riposting is in TW3 I really hope that it's consistent this time.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Just give us a full frontal nude picture of Geralt and everything will be fine.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Roshnak posted:

Yeah, they do, and it's really annoying because on Dark Mode you really can't afford to get hit that often. That's why you should never ever riposte and instead just roll away from attacks. Preferably around the back of the enemies so you can chop them.

But if riposting is in TW3 I really hope that it's consistent this time.

I riposted some Nekker Warriors and it took off like 10% of my health.
I riposted Dmitri and absolutely wrecked him without getting hit.

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.
I hope someone from Nexus superimposes Anita Sarkeesian's head on everyone in the brothel.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Cirian posted:

Actually, on this point, one of the things I found with the Witcher 2 was that the ingame cinematography was pretty bad; just in terms of pacing, sound design, camera angles etc. As an example, look at the scene where you find Dandelion on the gallows, the actual content is fine, but the delivery is a big let down and it makes the scene lose a lot of tension. Has this been improved with the third entry?

I guess I'm just hoping that some of the incredible guys you have doing the trailers at least have a look over the ingame cutscenes now.

This is a really good point, and was part of the reason Mass Effect 2 felt way better than ME1 (even if the sequel was far from perfect).

That being said, I've noticed that the facial animations are really, really good from what they've shown so far.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
So are there any alchemy ingredients that one should absolutely NOT sell (besides those marked for quests)? I'm in Act 1.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Anti-Hero posted:

So are there any alchemy ingredients that one should absolutely NOT sell (besides those marked for quests)? I'm in Act 1.

Keep anything with fulgur.

Stuff with aether are less common in Act 1, but become very common in Act 2.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
So I thought the 'prevent all forms of stun and knockdown' potion would be useful for these wraiths in Hunting the Wild Hunt, and then they proceeded to scream at Gerald and gang-bang him like they did my last four tries.

And I lit the lantern this time and the King was still able to hit me, what the gently caress?

Justin_Brett fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Sep 7, 2014

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Lycus posted:

Keep anything with fulgur.

Stuff with aether are less common in Act 1, but become very common in Act 2.

In general, I wouldn't sell any reagents because you shouldn't be that hard pressed for money and it's not like they weigh anything.
Plus, you can use them to craft a load of potions to get mutagens if you have the talent.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

I'm 100% on board with de-oversexualizing female characters, but honestly complaining about the outfits in the witcher (at least W2-3) seems silly. On one hand, there's so many better things to complain about. On the other hand these are some of the least sexualized costumes in the industry. But maybe I'm an old fogey who's still comparing things to Paul Steed's infamous "crackwhore".
No I think that's a fair judgement given that if we just go to major games in the same genre at the release of The Witcher 2 we have a AAA title featuring a robot with camel toe (Mass Effect 3).

Granted that series had actually backslid significantly in female character design. Mass Effect 1 was actually really good in that regard by video game standards.

Bholder posted:

Just give us a full frontal nude picture of Geralt and everything will be fine.

If Geralt's model had a dick wouldn't it force the game to be rated Adults Only in the US by the ESRB?

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

The Sharmat posted:

If Geralt's model had a dick wouldn't it force the game to be rated Adults Only in the US by the ESRB?

I don't pretend to understand the US rating system, but I seem to remember that W2 had full frontal female nudity, didn't it?

3 Stacked Midgets
Jul 29, 2004
Triple Threat

CottonWolf posted:

I don't pretend to understand the US rating system, but I seem to remember that W2 had full frontal female nudity, didn't it?

Most of Western artistic history is some mixture of flagrantly naked sexy people of both genders, depictions of torture, and heroic depictions of ultraviolence. This sick filth is on display even in museums that give discounts on admissions to children.

Roshnak
Jul 22, 2007

The Sharmat posted:

GTA IV: The Lost and Damned wasn't rated AO.

3 Stacked Midgets posted:

Most of Western artistic history is some mixture of flagrantly naked sexy people of both genders, depictions of torture, and heroic depictions of ultraviolence. This sick filth is on display even in museums that give discounts on admissions to children.

Context matters, dude.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

The Sharmat posted:

I'm 99% sure it doesn't. If it's erect it might, but not flaccid.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Roshnak posted:

Context matters, dude.

Looks to me like it was a joke :ssh:

CottonWolf posted:

It sure did, complete with a glimpse at pubic hair.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

I sure hope not, it would be awful if dicks were somehow considered worse than tits and pussies. I forget what it is you do, but if you can get some limp dick in this game: get to it. I recently finished watching Rome and that series' explicit but dick-less sex scenes reminded me there were a couple of similar scenes in W2. That's silly.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I can't talk about development, but I will say that I hear what you are saying and that personally I am pro-Geralt-dick.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

I sure hope not, it would be awful if dicks were somehow considered worse than tits and pussies. I forget what it is you do, but if you can get some limp dick in this game: get to it. I recently finished watching Rome and that series' explicit but dick-less sex scenes reminded me there were a couple of similar scenes in W2. That's silly.

I'm pretty sure exposed pussies are on the same maturity level as exposed dicks.
Doesn't make sense to me either but that's just the way it is. Secondary genitalia are fine but primary aren't.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
One of the GTA 4 expansions had male nudity and can still be sold in stores, so-ooooo....

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Shumagorath posted:

One of the GTA 4 expansions had male nudity and can still be sold in stores, so-ooooo....

Well the distinction between M and AO sounds vague as gently caress.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

3 Stacked Midgets posted:

Video games are treated with a totally different standard though. Remember when Mass Effect had those fade-to-black "sex scenes" that you could have gotten away with showing in any PG-13 movie or on TV no problem, but because it was in a video game people freaked the gently caress out?

Granted, "people" being Fox News. But still.

I thought I remembered hearing that there was some arbitrary difference between how they were treated in ratings for some reason. Guess not.

But why would Geralt have his dick out and be flacid? Sounds pretty improbable to me. Really breaks my suspension of disbelief.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

I can't talk about development, but I will say that I hear what you are saying and that personally I am pro-Geralt-dick.

Kind of a weird question but who do you guys use for voice casting? Is it an agency (and if so, who) or do you have an internal team do the legwork?

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
The voice acting in TW2 was really good and I liked how thought even went into poo poo like what accent everyone had. Hope they keep that up.

I have trouble going back to TW1 based on the inferior voice work alone, given how much talking there is in the game. Though I guess that's probably a dumb reason.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
I ended up installing the mod that removes dark mode effects because I couldn't see poo poo during In the Claws of Madness.
Just wanted to point out that with the release of the toolkit, there's now an updated mod which removes the effects while keeping the curse mechanic in effect.
http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher2/mods/649/

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Speaking of voice acting, I was thinking of going through two again with a non-english voice pack. What sounds the most witcher-y? Polish obviously, but I also read the russian voices were really good? Or was that in 1?

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009

Justin_Brett posted:

And I lit the lantern this time and the King was still able to hit me, what the gently caress?
Yeah it's a bit weird with the scripting, I found I had the most luck by lighting the shrine after the King appears. When I lit it in advance it seemed to have no effect, and even then it took two attempts.

Casting my vote in favour of Geralt full-frontals. Finally settle the question on the lips of random NPCs - are his pubes white too??

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Was there ever actually any doubt?

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

The Sharmat posted:

But why would Geralt have his dick out and be flacid? Sounds pretty improbable to me. Really breaks my suspension of disbelief.

To showcase their next gen jiggle physics of course.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Scandalous posted:

Yeah it's a bit weird with the scripting, I found I had the most luck by lighting the shrine after the King appears. When I lit it in advance it seemed to have no effect, and even then it took two attempts.

Got any tips for Dagon? Seems like he's so big trying to click on his followers makes Geralt switch to attacking him, and they just dodge group style even with a Blizzard potion on. They count as monsters, right?

Roshnak
Jul 22, 2007

Justin_Brett posted:

Got any tips for Dagon? Seems like he's so big trying to click on his followers makes Geralt switch to attacking him, and they just dodge group style even with a Blizzard potion on. They count as monsters, right?

Kite the dudes away from him? I'm pretty sure I just kited them into a group and then used Igni on the whole group. Or maybe I just Igni/sworded them one at a time as soon as they came out of the water. I couldn't find any information about which sword they're susceptible to, but Igni definitely messes them up real bad.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Roshnak posted:

Kite the dudes away from him? I'm pretty sure I just kited them into a group and then used Igni on the whole group. Or maybe I just Igni/sworded them one at a time as soon as they came out of the water. I couldn't find any information about which sword they're susceptible to, but Igni definitely messes them up real bad.

I don't think there's anything in W1 that Igni spam doesn't kill quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Igni is almost always the answer in TW1.

In TW2 I found it was almost never worth using unless you put a bunch of points into upgrading it. Still, Aard and Yrden and Quen were all useful even without points so you had more effective choices in TW2 than TW1 even if it still wasn't perfectly balanced.

• Locked thread