Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Metal Loaf posted:

I've been meaning to ask, who's less favourably regarded as an artist; Greg Land or Rob Liefeld?

Liefeld may be a horrible artist but he's horrible through his own talents. Land straight up just steals his talent through lightbox and photoshop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Because of Liefeld we have stuff like Prophet. Nothing Land has done even touches Liefeld's worst work.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Yeah it's not even a contest, Land is poison.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Liefeld is also fairly famous for stealing the work of other artists. It was something of a controversy, back in the day.

My vote still goes to Land, though, if only because he's still actively harmful whereas Liefeld is pretty much a thing of the past. If he came out of retirement, I might have to reconsider my opinion.

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

Mike Del Mundo's work looks amazing. What are some good comics that he's worked on? (i.e. the interior art, not just the covers)

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Falstaff posted:

Liefeld is also fairly famous for stealing the work of other artists. It was something of a controversy, back in the day.

My vote still goes to Land, though, if only because he's still actively harmful whereas Liefeld is pretty much a thing of the past. If he came out of retirement, I might have to reconsider my opinion.

Liefeld is, by all accounts, a decent human being in person. I've never heard a thing, good or bad, about Land.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Sailor Viy posted:

Mike Del Mundo's work looks amazing. What are some good comics that he's worked on? (i.e. the interior art, not just the covers)

He is currently doing Elektra

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Alhazred posted:

He's actually pretty loving good:

Badass , What book is this?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Falstaff posted:

Jesus don't say that. The damage he could do if allowed near Guardians or ANYTHING.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Hollismason posted:

Badass , What book is this?

Borgias.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
So, I've taken it upon myself to 'gift' my friend at college some really loving bad art to hang on her walls this year. I'm thinking I go for broke and track down Liefeld' Cap'n Fridgemerica ... but i'm having trouble.

Was it an actual cover, or a B-side inserted in the end of a real comic?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Senor Candle posted:

He is currently doing Elektra

Well it just got cancelled so :smith:

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

zoux posted:

Well it just got cancelled so :smith:

Really?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/08/28/the-death-of-elektra/

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Cleaning up the book room. I kinda want to hang this facing the toilet.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

sporklift posted:

I completely condone this action. If you can get it right at face level...

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

sporklift posted:

Put it in your work room.

"Finish your damm report."

...Is it odd that I'm seeing a hint of 'You can do it!' from his expression?

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Junkie Disease posted:

Jesus don't say that. The damage he could do if allowed near Guardians or ANYTHING.

Well he does pop up every now and then on some minor side-project, the most famous recent example being that Franklin Richards with a gun in space page.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
On the other hand without Liefeld we wouldn't have Supreme: Blue Rose, which may be one of the best-drawn books coming out right now (in addition to having Warren Ellis firing on all cylinders).

Can somebody with images post some pages from it? It completely deserves to be in this thread.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
Just finished v3 of Brubaker's Catwoman. After the series established itself with amazing art by Darwyn Cooke, Cameron Stewart and Sean Phillips, for some reason the art took a turn for the terrifying as the last few story arcs were drawn by the team of Paul Gulacy and Jimmy Palmiotti.

These are some of the examples I could cull from the internet, but they're hardly the worst that it gets. Why does everyone have eyes the size of dinner plates and a pointy pig-nose? WHat the hell is going on with Selena's boobs in that first cover? Why does Slam Bradley suddenly look like a mid-30s Bogart?

While Burbaker's writing was spot-on the whole run, this art (and the needless War Games crossover) really brought down the final set of issues.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I am getting really tired of the trend of good artists bailing after they give a series credibility.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Brocktoon posted:

Why does everyone have eyes the size of dinner plates and a pointy pig-nose?
Gulacy has always tended to draw pretty large eyes. Check out his Huntress in Batman/Predator II.

I've heard that Brubaker was not happy when Gulacy was brought on as artist--is this even true?

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Gulacy used to be an awesome Steranko imitator

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

redbackground posted:

Gulacy has always tended to draw pretty large eyes. Check out his Huntress in Batman/Predator II.

I've heard that Brubaker was not happy when Gulacy was brought on as artist--is this even true?

Would YOU be happy if you were Brubaker? The biggest issue was changing Catwoman's costume from the wrinkly, buckle-filled jumpsuit that Cooke and Stewart drew and reverting to the painted-on bodysuit. It just reeks of not understanding the difference between "sexy" and "sexually exploitative".

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Brocktoon posted:

WHat the hell is going on with Selena's boobs in that first cover?

She's jumping upwards, and presumably is not wearing a bra. Her waist is what's crazy to me.

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.

Lurdiak posted:

I am getting really tired of the trend of good artists bailing after they give a series credibility.

No artist can work on one series indefinitely, especially on the monthly basis required by the big two. The problem isn't creative teams bailing, the problem is the publishers keeping books going with new teams and pretending it's the same drat book just because it features the same characters and loosely connects to the same storyline.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Bagley can.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Bagley churns out a million issues a year by forgoing things like detail and style.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Kaleidoscope posted:

No artist can work on one series indefinitely, especially on the monthly basis required by the big two. The problem isn't creative teams bailing, the problem is the publishers keeping books going with new teams and pretending it's the same drat book just because it features the same characters and loosely connects to the same storyline.
Well, in that case, Bru was still the writer. Someone up the chain had to have decided on a major art style shift as just prior, there had been a rotating number of similarly-styled artists who easily could have kept going (Stewart, Pulido, Rader).

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.
Well that's just a dumb move by pubs then. Hopefully DC & Marvel learn from Image and when a book is doing well, let the creative team take a couple a months a year to catch up. It gives their customers no credit to think if a book misses a month then people will stop buying it. If anything a poo poo artist would make me kick a book more than a delay. I'm still reading Hawkeye but I almost dropped She-Hulk.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Thor #1 preview has the (mostly) awesome variant covers up. I am so over Skottie Young.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

zoux posted:

Thor #1 preview has the (mostly) awesome variant covers up. I am so over Skottie Young.

:lol: Holy poo poo the magically appearing "s" has to be the most shameful pandering I have ever seen. That's hysterical.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Irish Joe posted:

:lol: Holy poo poo the magically appearing "s" has to be the most shameful pandering I have ever seen. That's hysterical.

I've been looking at those images for like 5 minutes and I still have no idea what you're on about.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

I've been looking at those images for like 5 minutes and I still have no idea what you're on about.

The one where the mysterious figure picks up the hammer and the part of the inscription on Mjolnir that says "if he be worthy" suddenly lights up with an S on the "he" to make it "she". In between panels 5 and 6 here:

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Irish Joe posted:

Why is that shameful pandering?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Did someone change the definition of the word pandering?

Commissar Of Doom
Apr 21, 2009
Pandering must mean "pretty awesome" now.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Irish Joe posted:

I don't see a problem.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Why is that shameful pandering?

Because it's an appeal to a group that he doesn't directly relate to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It bothers me more that the wording is upside down.