Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Half the time Gai is the one who fucks up, really. He says "let's be ninjas!" and turns into Shurikenger while everyone else become Kakurangers. Or "let's be dinosaur rangers!" and turns into Dragonranger while the others turn into Abaranger. "Let's use martial arts!" Kibaranger; Gekiranger.

It really is great :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Yeah, a friend was telling me they didn't change anything at all and played the whole episode straight, with Silver unable to decide between Silver and Gold Go-On Wings and merging all the sixth ranger keys into one big clusterfuck of a joke powerup. But-- as far as I'm aware Power Rangers Super Mega Silver (or whatever he's referred to) is a much more serious character. So I can't imagine what a viewer unfamiliar with the source would think about either character's actions during the episode or the Gold Mode powerup itself.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Well, the whole series is a bit of role reversal. The Gokai 5 crew are "aliens" that visit earth because there's treasure, while Silver is an earthling that got his powers because his fanboyness of Sentai is so powerful that all the 6th+ rangers like his attitude.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
They changed it slightly, and made it as if the belt itself decided to pop out the RPM Gold key for no real reason. In the original, Gai was like "Time for Go-On Silver!" then said "But wait, Silver was a girl, so I guess I should pick Gold..." and pulled that one out. Since Orion wouldn't really know about the RPM Rangers I guess it wouldn't make sense for him to know Silver was a girl (even if the key does have a skirt), but at least they got to avoid the "I don't want to be a girl" line which might have caused a bit of a controversy in the US. It still was kind of silly him going "I don't know which one to use!" because there was no real reason for him to have problems choosing, and the reason for him having to choose was extremely contrived too.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Twelve by Pies posted:

They changed it slightly, and made it as if the belt itself decided to pop out the RPM Gold key for no real reason. In the original, Gai was like "Time for Go-On Silver!" then said "But wait, Silver was a girl, so I guess I should pick Gold..." and pulled that one out. Since Orion wouldn't really know about the RPM Rangers I guess it wouldn't make sense for him to know Silver was a girl (even if the key does have a skirt), but at least they got to avoid the "I don't want to be a girl" line which might have caused a bit of a controversy in the US. It still was kind of silly him going "I don't know which one to use!" because there was no real reason for him to have problems choosing, and the reason for him having to choose was extremely contrived too.

Why would there have been a problem with him not wanting to be a girl? Would there have been a shitfit kicked up by some parts of the Trans community?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Some people might have interpreted the line as Silver being weaker because it was a girl, while most people wouldn't interpret it that way there are definitely some who would and I can see them wanting to just not even take the risk.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Remember, there was a shitfit over the explanation on why there was only one girl on the core Kyoryu team "well they have to beat up a dinosaur and girls are weaker so..."

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

jivjov posted:

Remember, there was a shitfit over the explanation on why there was only one girl on the core Kyoryu team "well they have to beat up a dinosaur and girls are weaker so..."

Also that scandal in the fandom about re painting the pink portion of a zord purple because "This is a boy show".

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Morby posted:

Also that scandal in the fandom about re painting the pink portion of a zord purple because "This is a boy show".

Ooh, I haven't heard about that one. Details?

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

jivjov posted:

Ooh, I haven't heard about that one. Details?

The Bandai display at Comic-Con this year had a purple Dricera.
Fandom threw a fit.
The Bandai display at Power Morphicon this year had a pink Dricera.
Don't know what happened after that.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Some higher ups thought it would be better Purple than Pink because it doesnt sell, then fan backlash happened and they changed it back now.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Even better, the one on display was visibly painted. That means the painted their purple one pink because they couldn't get a production model in time. :v:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Do they believe 30 plus year old men who go to cons are likely to purchase more toys than children?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

jivjov posted:

That was actually the inept explanation for why there was no yellow, not why there was only the Blandest Kyouryuuger to represent women. Given how much yellow turned out to be in the designs for the mecha and the accessories, they probably should have explained it away with that instead of saying "well, kids now associate yellow rangers with being girls, and er, um, well, girls are *coughweakerthanmencough* pleasedontstareatthegirlinfluorescentpink :stonk:"

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I'm still sad they're skipping over Go-Busters because there's a lot of good CQC footage there.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
gently caress it, my dumb headcanon is that Dairanger are in fact Power Rangers Star Squadron or Thunder Squadron :colbert:

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Solaris Knight posted:

gently caress it, my dumb headcanon is that Dairanger are in fact Power Rangers Star Squadron or Thunder Squadron :colbert:

Plot Twist: Zordon had secret plans to 'rebuild' the original power coins just as had their zords, but then he saw the budget projections and decided he'd just 'conveniently' reveal the location of the original maker.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

Astro Nut posted:

Plot Twist: Zordon had secret plans to 'rebuild' the original power coins just as had their zords, but then he saw the budget projections and decided he'd just 'conveniently' reveal the location of the original maker.

Cutting corners and being cheap? Zordon was Haim Saban all along! :argh:

Solaris Knight fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Sep 3, 2014

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Astro Nut posted:

You know, considering Zordon just MADE the White Ranger powers, literally crafted them some how, this isn't too far off...

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The Zordon wave was so he wouldn't have to pay so many tertiary characters and extras anymore. He saw the bill for the episode and was like "Andros kill me now it's the only way"

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

RBX posted:

Some higher ups thought it would be better Purple than Pink because it doesnt sell, then fan backlash happened and they changed it back now.

Which is really weird considering that the white Shogunzord was repainted as pink in the US.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Twelve by Pies posted:

Which is really weird considering that the white Shogunzord was repainted as pink in the US.

That's because Kakuranger (Alien Rangers) only had 5 rangers, and the white one was a chick. They could handwave the crane zord for the Ninja Megazord with just a pink stripe on the toy. But the shogunzord was undeniably white. So they just stuck both White and Pink into the cockpit and left it at that until Tommy would call on the Falconzord.

So in that case it was probably a "we have 6 rangers and 5 zords and obviously kids will get confused because we're TV executives and that's how we think" kinda deal.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

But why would they care if pink toys sell less? It's not as if you even buy Dricera on its own. It comes with the other four Zyudenryu in a set. Kids won't have a choice in buying it at all :psyduck:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

But why would they care if pink toys sell less? It's not as if you even buy Dricera on its own. It comes with the other four Zyudenryu in a set. Kids won't have a choice in buying it at all :psyduck:

They are literally scared it having pink in it at all will make dumb parents boys think it has cooties.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

Pretty much. The whole girl vs boy thing as exemplified by Young Justice makes me so goddamn cynical and depressed. Nobody stopped buying Samurai, SPD, and Time Force toys, and those all had female leaders at some point. :ughh:

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I get what you're saying but lets be honest here, Samurai had a female leader for one or two episodes. SPD's female red was evil and only around for the last two episodes of the season. And while Jen was technically the leader of Time Force Wes was more prominently featured and given the leadership role more often than not.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

My point still stands :colbert. I hate how dumb BOA/Toei/Saban, etc are with girl power. It took us until RPM to even get a female Sixth, and she's a matching set with her brother. I would mention White Mystic, but she's not considered an official Sixth, which sucks. You'd think given the new wave of social justice and the immense backlahs over female American keys they'd take notice of the audience. Yayoi and Nossan's sister were steps in the right direction though.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Wait how is White Mystic not considered an official sixth? She's the sixth ranger and shows up a lot. Her role is almost the exact same as Doggie Kruger.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Dekamaster is an extra ranger, not a sixth I thought? I'm pretty sure he's not part of the sixth rangers in Gold Mode at least.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
He's the sixth ranger in SPD whether or not that meshes with whatever they did with keys in the sentai later.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Dekamaster is the Hundredth Ranger, excuse me.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So heads up those of you who listen to the Podcasters with Attitude, as you lot likely know my computer has been dead for over a month now, meaning poor Jason has taken my spot.

Hark and rejoice though, for I shall have a new computer some where between the 11th and the 16th.

Except for those of you who hated me on the podcast and wished me gone.

You know, all of you.

To you, all of you, I laugh in bitter revenge for soon my personality shall be inflicted upon you once more. Oh yes.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Dekamaster is the Hundredth Ranger, excuse me.

As silly as it might sound, it's important to remember this. The guy with six on his suit (as a roman numeral, VI) was Tetsu/Dekabreak. Dekamaster was more of an ally/mentor/leader, he rarely took to the field himself (even explained by him, he was far above the others and they wouldn't even try if they could just let the Watchdog of Hell do the job), while Tetsu was constantly fighting alongside the rest.

Hell, by the final episode Tetsu even joins the normal rolecall instead of having his own ("Six! It's good to be invincible!")

MagiMother could never be the sixth, she's the first to appear in Magiranger! The sixth is clearly MagiRed :v: In all seriousness, the whole "sixth" thing is clearly not meant to be taken literally, they're just the most important status quo-shattering guys after the three/five mains. That role is clearly MagiShine's, not MagiMother's (who doesn't join until far later in the series and barely gets to do anything, IIRC). I'm not too sure of how things went in Mystic Force though, not having watched it myself, but I doubt it was very different.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Burkion posted:

So heads up those of you who listen to the Podcasters with Attitude, as you lot likely know my computer has been dead for over a month now, meaning poor Jason has taken my spot.

Hark and rejoice though, for I shall have a new computer some where between the 11th and the 16th.

Except for those of you who hated me on the podcast and wished me gone.

You know, all of you.

To you, all of you, I laugh in bitter revenge for soon my personality shall be inflicted upon you once more. Oh yes.

Atone for your absence by recording your thoughts on every single episode of Turbo you've missed. At least 10 minutes each.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
You could just try not sucking. Like maybe a gimmick other than doing the Mr Plinkett voice, sounding so exhausted and whiny about everything and hating everything except bioman.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

greatn posted:

You could just try not sucking. Like maybe a gimmick other than doing the Mr Plinkett voice, sounding so exhausted and whiny about everything and hating everything except bioman.

I can confirm that Burk's voice is actually just what he sounds like.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

greatn posted:

The fact that you think that is a gimmick or that I am trying to do a Plinkett voice is adorable.

You are adorable.

ADORABLE.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

I can also confirm that Burk sounds like that, I was surprised too.

The whole Sixth/Extra continuity is weird. Like, for example, every Kyoryu after Gold is probably Extra even though both Silvers are integral to the main plot as much if not more than Ucchy, they're all older chronologically than the core five, and have obstensibly stronger Zydenryu.

Also, Bull Black is extra even though he shares a power source, according to speculation, Phantom Ranger is the official Sixth but VRV Master isn't, Wolf Ranger is the Sixth over Rhino even though Rhino shows up later, and then things spiral into maximum :spergin:.

If I had Platinum, I'd use this space to post GripPhone pics and gush. As is, I'll keep my mouth shut.

Solaris Knight fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Sep 6, 2014

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

So the order of Rangers is a clusterfuck in Jungle Fury, too? I'm glad Toei decided all the Gekirangers were core, even though I enjoyed making arguments that Jan was the final member of the team, and thus was the specialest :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
My take:
Kyoryuger has a core of 5+1. Abaranger has a core of 3+1.
Kyoryu Gold would be like Abare Black.
Kyoryu Silver and Violet are the 6ths as Abarekiller was a 6th. Cyan and Grey are the extras. Not quite sure about Violet being a 6th though. Never got a proper spot in the intro.

So Super Megaforce has 20 episodes. Spoilers say 2 episodes are Goseiger leftovers. So 18 episodes of Gokaiger footage. And they had to use a goddamn filler episode today which was also a goddamn filler episode in Gokaiger.