Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

the dad farm posted:

alcohol and weed are honestly the only thing that keep me afloat and that is not a lie

Please do not Schneider on us :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006

Obama Africanus posted:

Nah. I've gotten what I wanted out of it for now.

It is fun, but the Old Man Winter Cometh, and him + weed + shorter days makes me sad. Inside. So I'm doing a fall and winter break, and hitting the weights instead of the bong until my car gets covered in tree sperm again next year. I got some big hiking plans for this spring and summer anyway, and going into weeks long hikes with 0 weed tolerance and a quarter sack beats having to carry bales of brick weed on the trail. This break is preferable to the alternative of having Hispanic cantaloupe like calve muscles just to smoke some trees while walking with the trees.

Bring edibles and knock out having to carry your food supply and weed supply in one go; alternatively, some good wax can be great, get absolutely floored by nature.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
fellow angry veterans for hitler! I have a question.

Post-ww2 Walther P38 for about $300 in good condition. good deal, bad deal?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

a classy gun. no idea about the price, but i vote yea.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
already did.

only one magazine, but they're cheap and abundant, apparently. clean, in great shape, stamped 7/69. $285 before bgc and tax.

last gun was a walther also, a P22. got a couple boxes of 9mm, gonna order two extra magazines then take it to the indoor range here.

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

It may not be interracial, but it is black and white.
I've been hanging out near a small town in SW Colorado for the past month or so. Every Friday night I go down to the brewery in town and hang out with my wife's grandfather and a big group of old vets. Everyone is pretty chill and full good stories. Got a 76 year old German guy who emigrated to the US after WW2 and joined the US Army, as well as a 90+ year old bomber pilot who used to bomb the German guy's town for the allies.

Lazy Reservist
Nov 30, 2005

FUBIJAR

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

fellow angry veterans for hitler! I have a question.

Post-ww2 Walther P38 for about $300 in good condition. good deal, bad deal?

Decent deal. Most post war P38's are going for $400+ on gunbroker.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
I hear it's the gun of choice for shooting people in the back of the head.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

ded posted:

I hear it's the gun of choice for shooting people in the back of the head.

Indiana Jones shot through 3 Nazis with one round.

Lazy Reservist
Nov 30, 2005

FUBIJAR

zombie303 posted:

Indiana Jones shot through 3 Nazis with one round.

That was a Mauser C96.
:spergin:

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
You guys are usually pretty good on car stuff and I don't like AI so I'm going to ask here. My next (and last!) set of orders is going to involve a decent daily commute, minimum of 45 minutes each way. Planning on buying a new car and I'm looking for something cheap and fuel efficient. The wildcard is that I'm not small person (not goony, just tall) so I'm hoping there is something reasonably roomy as well. I'd also prefer that it look somewhat sporty so I don't feel like a complete dork but that is pretty far down on the priority list. I'm not buying for a while but I'm trying to get an idea what's out there. What say you GiP?

Lazy Reservist
Nov 30, 2005

FUBIJAR
No poo poo opinion, Mini Cooper Countryman. Plenty of legroom, great gas mileage (30+ MPG), great performance. Basically getting a BMW at 3/4 the price.

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006
You say cheap. What are you comfortable spending?

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

McSpatula posted:

You say cheap. What are you comfortable spending?

20k if I can get something reasonable for that price which I think I can in that category. I can bump that up if it's too low.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Mazda Miata/volvo 240/jeep cherokee 4.0

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

never buy a jeep

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
It'd be great if you could find one, but not so good on the fuel economy. Seriously though, most of the bigger compact cars are probably going to work for you. My last car was a Focus...I'm 6'1" and I probably had about 4 inches before my head hit the ceiling, and there was plenty of legroom. Focus, Civic, Corolla, Mini (probably not at that price).

Actually though, I think I'd start looking at something like a used Fusion. They're pretty good on gas, and they'll have more useful room and probably better options for the price. It's probably a little more fun to drive than any Camry or most Accords, too. I'd stay away from a used VW, personally. I don't think I know anyone who's bought a VW in the last 10 years that hasn't regretted it within 6 months or so because they're steaming piles of poo poo.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
i was just listing off AI's favoritest shitboxes. I can't talk too much poo poo, though, as I'd want to own a 142 or 242 with some retardedly-powerful engine inside it.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

I've been looking at used cars for the past month under 10k. Nothing but loving Nissan Versas, Chevy Aveos and Sparks, <2008 Ford Fusions, and a bunch of 2012 Fiats (leases just finished), and VW Jettas.

If you are looking at a used Ford Fusion, go for the 2nd generation one (2012-onwards). I know dudes that had the earlier ones, and they all seemed to have expensive electrical harness issues.

I'm 6'5", and just had a good 10 years with a Scion xB. Had tons of room, good gas mileage, and it worked great until a deer ran into the side panel and cursed it with bullshit. If you're a tall dude who wants a Toyota engine that won't die (except for the o2 sensors) then I'd really say they're worth it. I know they're marketed towards goonlords (except for some weird reason old people bought the poo poo out of them), but they're decent cars for the price.

Besides that, I don't know. You've got the Focus, Civic, Fiesta, Impreza, Mazda 5, xB, and the Corolla all under 20k new. Check those out and see what you like.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

What kind of gas mileage are you seeing in an xb? Because I know someone who averages about 2mpg better than my Jeep. It's one of the few vehicles that's LESS aerodynamic.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
I don't like the central instrument panel on the scions.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Godholio posted:

What kind of gas mileage are you seeing in an xb? Because I know someone who averages about 2mpg better than my Jeep. It's one of the few vehicles that's LESS aerodynamic.

I have the first gen one- it's advertised as 30/34, my last tank (at 157k miles) was about 28mpg. It was awesome when I was driving 400+ miles a week, less so now that I'm driving maybe 30 miles a week. (and the A/C is broken. And a loving deer hit my side panel and didn't break its neck. and that the back glass on the hatchback was rattling like a motherfucker).

I didn't know the 2nd gen was 22 mpg. I mean god drat, what the hell did they do to that car? The whole point of it was to be a cheap small hatchback that was decent on gas and you could fold down the back seats to move poo poo. Now it's loving useless.

That being said, I'm trading it in (hopefully today) for a used car with much worse MPG, but god drat is it comfortable.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

vulturesrow posted:

You guys are usually pretty good on car stuff and I don't like AI so I'm going to ask here. My next (and last!) set of orders is going to involve a decent daily commute, minimum of 45 minutes each way. Planning on buying a new car and I'm looking for something cheap and fuel efficient. The wildcard is that I'm not small person (not goony, just tall) so I'm hoping there is something reasonably roomy as well. I'd also prefer that it look somewhat sporty so I don't feel like a complete dork but that is pretty far down on the priority list. I'm not buying for a while but I'm trying to get an idea what's out there. What say you GiP?

I'm fairly tall and I love my 2012 Focus hatch back. I also drove a Cruze rental for a week and was pleasantly surprised.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Test drive an imprezza. Your choice of sedan or hatchback, but the reliability and interior space is hard to beat. If you, can find a non abused WRX (good loving luck) you'll fall in love.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Lazy Reservist posted:

No poo poo opinion, Mini Cooper Countryman. Plenty of legroom, great gas mileage (30+ MPG), great performance. Basically getting a BMW at 3/4 the price.

I drive a 6 speed countryman and everyone will call you a human being but they're really nice and fun to drive. I've had mine for 3 years and I'm going to drive it till it falls apart.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

PT Cruiser

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Gonna third the Mini. They are fun as gently caress to drive.

I drove a few at various mileages and they seem solid through to 40k at least. I'm not super tall, but I've got long legs and big shoulders. Fits my wide 6 foot self in there no problems at all.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

FAT SLAMPIG posted:

Xb poo poo

I know they're marketed towards goonlords (except for some weird reason old people bought the poo poo out of them), but they're decent cars for the price.

old people bought them for the same reasons I bought my soul, you don't have to climb out of the car with your rear end a foot off the ground. just lift your feet and turn your rear end and you're on the ground.

and as much as I can't stand them, the Honda Fit is a good car, and cheap. ex-wife had/has one. decent price, reliable, tons of space and headroom for the size of the car, gas mileage 30-40mpg depending on your foot. I don't like them because of ex-wife affiliation, no rational reason to hate them, but they're good cars.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

vulturesrow posted:

20k if I can get something reasonable for that price which I think I can in that category. I can bump that up if it's too low.

25k puts you in WRX/FRS/GTI range.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

25k puts you in WRX/FRS/GTI range.

You can get a Genesis Coupe for that money, too.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Carteret posted:

You can get a Genesis Coupe for that money, too.

Or a gently used Infiniti G35/37

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Godholio posted:

Actually though, I think I'd start looking at something like a used Fusion. They're pretty good on gas, and they'll have more useful room and probably better options for the price. It's probably a little more fun to drive than any Camry or most Accords, too. I'd stay away from a used VW, personally. I don't think I know anyone who's bought a VW in the last 10 years that hasn't regretted it within 6 months or so because they're steaming piles of poo poo.

The used Fusion market was poo poo in my area, for whatever reason the 2nd gen ones hadn't dropped much in value compared to the new models. 20,000 got me a new 2014, but I didn't bother going for the new ecoboost engine that gets slightly better gas mileage.

$20,000 gets you well out of "shitbox" territory unless you're asking AI or something. I'd look for a used Focus ST because I hear those are fun as poo poo to drive and Minis look gay as all hell.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
if any of you fucks buy a VW (that's not ancient and air-cooled) I will personally drive to your city and kick you in the balls when it's inevitably "in the shop for warranty repairs" for the third time in two months since you bought it. IF you're dumb enough to buy a used VW, I'll bring Frank and let him take turns in the crotch kicking session, and he was trained by a rambunctious bird-dog in the art of cock-punching while looking happy to see you.

Fusions are nice. my mother has a topped out hybrid and routinely pulls 50mpg. obviously that's well over $20k, but it's a pretty goddamn nice car. except sync. gently caress that poo poo.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

if any of you fucks buy a VW (that's not ancient and air-cooled) I will personally drive to your city and kick you in the balls when it's inevitably "in the shop for warranty repairs" for the third time in two months since you bought it. IF you're dumb enough to buy a used VW, I'll bring Frank and let him take turns in the crotch kicking session, and he was trained by a rambunctious bird-dog in the art of cock-punching while looking happy to see you.

Fusions are nice. my mother has a topped out hybrid and routinely pulls 50mpg. obviously that's well over $20k, but it's a pretty goddamn nice car. except sync. gently caress that poo poo.

I bought a used 07 jetta2.5 and haven't had any issues with it. :iiam:

I've had it 3 years.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Carteret posted:

Test drive an imprezza. Your choice of sedan or hatchback, but the reliability and interior space is hard to beat. If you, can find a non abused WRX (good loving luck) you'll fall in love.

I have an 09 Impreza hatch, zero problems thus far. I imagine having a turbo would be a lot of fun though :(

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

not caring here posted:

Gonna third the Mini. They are fun as gently caress to drive.

I drove a few at various mileages and they seem solid through to 40k at least. I'm not super tall, but I've got long legs and big shoulders. Fits my wide 6 foot self in there no problems at all.

Just hit 40k in mine and it's truckin along. My wife has a 2-door with only 25k miles at 3 years old and she keeps dropping hints she wants a new one and I told her she is gonna have that poo poo till 80-100k miles. I can't wait till I have no loving car payments. My stupid enlisted poo poo past self is punishing future me.

I really want an STI. I drove a buddy's and it was awesome.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

FAT SLAMPIG posted:

never buy a jeep

edit: buy a legacy gt

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
So I sold my iPhone 5S and have been using a hand-me-down Nokia.

Windows Phone 8.1 isn't terrible. Who knew?

Fake edit: Almost certainly getting the new iPhone but this is surprisingly nice.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Flikken posted:

I bought a used 07 jetta2.5 and haven't had any issues with it. :iiam:

I've had it 3 years.

Ah, so you're the one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

So I sold my iPhone 5S and have been using a hand-me-down Nokia.

Windows Phone 8.1 isn't terrible. Who knew?

no imessage? garbage

• Locked thread