Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Faithless
Dec 1, 2006
What is the best way to stop a tantrum spiral? The game feels pretty unplayable at the moment since as soon as 3 dwarfs die all 90 of them beat the hell out of eachother until there's just 1 babbling child left and some sane migrants come to clean up the mess.

It just happened now whilst my drawbridge was up and some idiot had smashed the lever the bits. Meaning the new migrants had to build a siege tower so to speak just to get over the walls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

unicr0n posted:

Are you using burrow's at all? I had a similar issue recently with my brewer saying he did not have any brewable items available despite a full plump helmet stockpile nearby. Turns out an inactive burrow was covering the brewery but did not extend across plant stockpile. Deleting the burrow fixed it straight away.

Nope. I think it may have been some weirdness with stockpiles giving/taking or something. That fort died to wererabbit-related shenanagins anyways.

I haven't encountered it in 40.11 so it either was a bug or me being dumb with stockpiles, who knows.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Subjunctive posted:

OK, my save/restore stockpile settings thing seems to work now. In case that's useful to someone else as well:

save-stockpile: https://gist.github.com/shaver/e9eb444b25076740bd67
load-stockpile: https://gist.github.com/shaver/69356ef7d8bfac4452bf

Just want to bring up this useful script that everyone should have, and also point out a bug in the save-stockpile script. Line 58 should instead read:
code:
file:write('sV(' .. propname .. ', ' .. start .. ', ' .. i - 1 .. ')\n')
Prior to this fix, the first item that was Disabled after a block of Enabled items would wind up Enabled in the saved profile.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Faithless posted:

What is the best way to stop a tantrum spiral? The game feels pretty unplayable at the moment since as soon as 3 dwarfs die all 90 of them beat the hell out of eachother until there's just 1 babbling child left and some sane migrants come to clean up the mess.

It just happened now whilst my drawbridge was up and some idiot had smashed the lever the bits. Meaning the new migrants had to build a siege tower so to speak just to get over the walls.

Were your dwarves living in a dirt hole in the ground, sleeping in a giant communal bedroom and frequently encountering hunger, thirst, vermin etc.?

Or were they living in a masterfully smoothed and engraved palatial fortress with high-quality statues, tables, traps etc. all over the place?

Edit: I ask because I throw unwanted babies into volcanoes for fun and don't get tantrum spirals.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Dreggon posted:

a camel just killed four of my guys, since when are those dangerous

Bactrian or Dromedary?

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

Dreggon posted:

I'm tempted to just kill the one I don't need before he kills the grower (who is losing btw) but I get the feeling that would cause one of those "enemy of the fort/civ" bugs and then I'd really be hosed

If it's related to the pasturing/caging a hostile creature making dwarves hostile, I found saving , quitting and reloading seemed to remove the hostile flag in some cases (a pastured kingsnake and chinchilla went rogue, causing some dwarves in my fort to turn on the animal trainer - saved, quit and came back later and it was over with no fatalities.)

Faithless posted:

Like already said, well - crafted buildings and statues. Gen windows are another good one - often overlooked but easy to build as I rarely ever use all my gems for trade. Your meeting areas should be covered in statues and the like - have your best mason confined to a workshop where he does nothing but that. As long as Urist has admired a fine Building lately (x20) he won't care much if he has been caught in the rain recently (x1) or been forced to endure the decay of a Friend (x3) while upset to be wearing tattered clothing(x2) and eating his fingers for food (x10).

If the tantrums have already started, it's probably too late to build anything in time. One way to fix it is by quickly acquiring some new types of food or (even better), booze. I recently saved a fort where a hammerdwarf was about to go postal after witnessing the Mayor getting beheaded by a weregecko. Slaughtering the elves when they showed up next month and turning all their fruit into booze gave happy thoughts all round and building all their pansy yet well crafted <--grown highwood chests--> does the same.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
You can also boost general happiness by getting one guy trained up by smoothing the dining hall, which you should do anyway to raise its value, and then sending him to engrave all the bedrooms. Dwarves will barely be able to sleep so happy are they to be surrounded by a dwarf and dwarves relating to the ascension of Beefle Bimblebrom to the position of mayor in 408. Getting everyone a double dose of "dined in a magnificent dining hall lately" and "slept in a very good bedroom lately" every single work cycle will basically keep your entire legions grinning forever. If you don't favor personal bedrooms, you can do some sneaky stuff with room boundaries.

code:
########++########
#8..8..8..8..8..8#
#C..C..C..C..C..C#
#C..C..C..C..C..C#
#8..8..8..8..8..8#
########++########
Just assign each of those beds (8) as the center of a 3x3 personal bedroom. Once you add the value of the bed, plus the value of the cabinet (C) plus the value of the engraved floors and/or walls in their zone, plus the value of having a "personal" bedroom, the dwarves will get a giant happiness boost every time they go to sleep. Even without the engraver you can get these set up really early so that all incoming dwarves won't start off with a big happiness penalty of needing to share dorm space while you rush to get actual bedrooms done. If dwarves start off happy, it's easier to get them to stay happy.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Also don't forget that a room sharing tiles with another room cuts value by something like 1/4th.

No matter how many rooms are using that same tile, so if you make a few nice statues to put in the middle o your dorm and then make every bed a room covering the entire area and the statues the dwarves will probably think it's pretty neat.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Neurion posted:

Just want to bring up this useful script that everyone should have, and also point out a bug in the save-stockpile script. Line 58 should instead read:
code:
file:write('sV(' .. propname .. ', ' .. start .. ', ' .. i - 1 .. ')\n')

Prior to this fix, the first item that was Disabled after a block of Enabled items would wind up Enabled in the saved profile.

Oop, thanks!

reading
Jul 27, 2013
I added new toys in the toys raw, but they never ever show up. What's the deal?

I did name one of them figurine, but I think the game already has figurines hard coded as a craft. Is that messing it up? My new food items get used.

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

I don't understand how you can be so mistaken.

reading posted:

I added new toys in the toys raw, but they never ever show up. What's the deal?

I did name one of them figurine, but I think the game already has figurines hard coded as a craft. Is that messing it up? My new food items get used.
Add your new item types to entity_default.txt. You'll find entries for the existing ones, such as [TOY:ITEM_TOY_MINIFORGE]; copy-paste those and insert the names of whatever you've added to item_toy.txt. You'll need to generate a new world.

New "figurines" are fine; the game doesn't care about duplication or ambiguity of user-facing strings. Your new item would be something like ITEM_TOY:ITEM_TOY_FIGURINE, which can exist alongside FIGURINE:NONE. If you intend to stockpile them separately then you'll run into some confusion, but that's a self-inflicted injury so :meh:.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
Are you allowed to make completely new raw files, or do you have to append to the existing files?

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
You can make completely new ones. I believe they always start with the filename and [OBJECT:X] so the game can tell what's up.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
Thanks. I was experimenting based on some cavern critters, and I couldn't get my new guys to show up in the arena, even though I removed the arena_restricted tag. Back to the drawing board, I guess.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

The file naming convention is very rigid. For example, body detail plan files must always be named "b_detail_plan_XYZ.txt" or the game just ignores them completely.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

So Math posted:

Are you allowed to make completely new raw files, or do you have to append to the existing files?

Just copy the text at the top of the type of raw you want to create and change it slightly and change it slightly, like:

b_detail_plan_SoMath

[OBJECT:BODY_DETAIL_PLAN]

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

yeah ok now a bunch of my dwarves are killing each other, one of my hunters went berserk and i sent the military to kill him and now i guess everyone just wants to murder everyone else?

i don't even know

e: it's at least one rear end in a top hat if not more who's systematically beating the poo poo out of as many of my dwarves as he can find, he's getting better and better at fighting

i think my fortress has turned into one of those survivor-type stories where there can be only one and you have to kill all other competitors

where the red fern gropes fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Sep 6, 2014

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Dreggon posted:

yeah ok now a bunch of my dwarves are killing each other, one of my hunters went berserk and i sent the military to kill him and now i guess everyone just wants to murder everyone else?

i don't even know

e: it's at least one rear end in a top hat if not more who's systematically beating the poo poo out of as many of my dwarves as he can find, he's getting better and better at fighting

i think my fortress has turned into one of those survivor-type stories where there can be only one and you have to kill all other competitors

If you have a sheriff and a justice room with chains, you can convict people of disorderly conduct in the justice screen. (z) - justice It doesn't happen automatically now, the only crimes that auto-convict are failing to meet noble's production mandates. That can get the tantruming people locked up to either calm down or go insane out of the way of the people who are still useful.

If you told your soldiers to attack the dwarf caravan or any member or your civilization you may be locked into a loyalty cascade. http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Faction#Loyalty_cascade A berzerk dwarf ought to be safe to attack, but who knows.

Aug 24, 2011

any way to get water if my map has none? i can dig down to the underground tunnels if that'll get me some, apparently my dwarves want to be "clean" which is stupid but they're dwarves

e: also now they're dying of dehydration. just drink booze? stupid dwarves

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Dreggon posted:

any way to get water if my map has none? i can dig down to the underground tunnels if that'll get me some, apparently my dwarves want to be "clean" which is stupid but they're dwarves

e: also now they're dying of dehydration. just drink booze? stupid dwarves

There should be water in the caverns, yes. Once you locate underground water you can build a well to bring it up to your main level. http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Well It takes time for the bucket to move up and down, so if the water is many levels down you may need more than one well to provide enough water.

Note: If your water source is only one level deep you'll be getting "muddy water" which generates bad thoughts. You can dig out a cistern filled to at least two levels to get clean water.

If your dwarfs are dying of dehydration you don't have enough booze. Check your stocks screen. If you still have some booze stocks, make sure they are accessible. If you have only a little booze left, it is possible that each barrel is in use right now, because only one dwarf can use a barrel at a time.

Aug 24, 2011

an eleven-year old has hospitalised three people

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

Dreggon posted:

an eleven-year old has hospitalised three people

Dwarves turn to adults at 12 so it's just his angry teenage punk phase.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
Dwarves will only bring water to injured, not booze, so that's another potential source of dehydration despite ample alcohol stocks.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Why won't dwarves use their booze to disinfect wounds? it's so logical, but nope, let's use mud-laced water from that puddle over there to wash those cuts.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Logical? All of this delicious alcohol and you're going to pour it on your sores? That's not how things work around here.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
So, housing. Usually I do a 48-unit Greek cross, because I can do it from memory and practice at this point, but it's pretty boring IMO. I'd like to know if anyone has some good modular/expandable layouts that let dwarfs have at least a bed, cabinet, and chest.

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer
I built a room to release caged hostiles in so my archers can get some good training in, with a wall of fortifications for them to shoot through and a locked door. (by building cages and linking to a lever not by pitting them). It works fine, but the last time I did it out of nowhere an axedwarf I had standing by in case a troll broke through the door started bashing an elite crossbowman. The combat log doesn't have anything at all to suggest why it happened, just a bunch of shooting at goblins and then he's dead, and the justice screen doesn't show a murder or anything related to the incident.

Anyone have an idea as to what caused this? The only thing that comes to mind is that some of the caged creatures were invading dwarves that came with the goblins (around half of all invaders have been dwarves or humans). But I checked and all of the dwarf invaders had already been hit by other archers, so I don't think that caused a loyalty cascade or whatever it's called.

Rod Justice
Aug 31, 2014

Faithless posted:

What is the best way to stop a tantrum spiral?

I seem to keep any and every dwarf constantly ecstatic if I place golden statues in my dining room. I'm not exactly sure if metals of less value will do this but I'm sure it helps.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

tak posted:

I built a room to release caged hostiles in so my archers can get some good training in, with a wall of fortifications for them to shoot through and a locked door. (by building cages and linking to a lever not by pitting them). It works fine, but the last time I did it out of nowhere an axedwarf I had standing by in case a troll broke through the door started bashing an elite crossbowman. The combat log doesn't have anything at all to suggest why it happened, just a bunch of shooting at goblins and then he's dead, and the justice screen doesn't show a murder or anything related to the incident.

Anyone have an idea as to what caused this? The only thing that comes to mind is that some of the caged creatures were invading dwarves that came with the goblins (around half of all invaders have been dwarves or humans). But I checked and all of the dwarf invaders had already been hit by other archers, so I don't think that caused a loyalty cascade or whatever it's called.

There was a problem way back earlier in the game where attacking some things would cause nearby beings to just go "gently caress it, I want a piece of that guy too. I'll help you, ground squirrel!". Maybe it's something like that.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

Crimson Harvest posted:

So, housing. Usually I do a 48-unit Greek cross, because I can do it from memory and practice at this point, but it's pretty boring IMO. I'd like to know if anyone has some good modular/expandable layouts that let dwarfs have at least a bed, cabinet, and chest.

Okay so picture this. 3-wide hallway, and on either side of the hallway are 4-long bedrooms. X is empty space, # is wall. I do Bed at the far end, then Cabinet, then Coffer, then a nice Door. Dwarves have no problems stepping over their cabinets and coffers. This is a classic space saving bedroom setup that I have been using since the 2D version. I tend to build 20 bedrooms at a time and expand the apartment complex upward or downward in Z-levels, creating a stacked bedroom area for all non-noble dwarves.

It is easy to designate all this for mining because from the top X of the top bedroom to the bottom X of the bottom bedroom is one shift-movement of the cursor.

code:
#######
#X#X#X#
#X#X#X#
#X#X#X#
#X#X#X#
XXXXXXX
XXXXXXX
XXXXXXX
#X#X#X#
#X#X#X#
#X#X#X#
#X#X#X#
#######

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

the greek cross design is exactly that, spread out in all 4 directions from a central staircase to miminize distance.

e:

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I tend to make rooms like this.

code:
XXXXXXXXXX
####XX####
#XX#XX#XX#
#XXXXXXXX#
####XX####
#XX#XX#XX#
#XXXXXXXX#
####XX####
#XX#XX#XX#
#XXXXXXXX#
####XX####
XXXXXXXXXX
These blocks of six forming a neat grid pattern that can fit around odd spaces and are fairly easy for dwarves to navigate toward your main hallways.

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011
I almost always go with this design from the wiki. Can be built in stages, is infinitely expandable and fits well with my usual vertical pillar fort design.

You can also remove the walls between any two adjacent bedrooms for easy 3x3 noble housing.

e: Bit annoying to set up, so here is a quickfort blueprint for it.

Mygna fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Sep 6, 2014

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Vertical levels are a thing, why aren't you using them? :( Dorfs aren't too fat to climb stairs, and using the vertical lets you build some really cool stuff.

e: To clarify, these designs may be able to use vertical space, but they use it as a mere connector instead of a dimension of its own.

my dad fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Sep 6, 2014

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Lately I've been doing a variation on a 3x3 bedroom design, with 3-wide hallways. It's not super fancy but it's functional. Right now since the economy isn't in, I just make every bedroom super fancy instead of making economy hovels for the poorer dwarves. It also has the benefit of being similar to my crypt design, which are 3x3 rooms with the dwarf's individual possessions inside, then sealed up with a slab outside, so there is a poetic connection between where they sleep in life and where they sleep in death. Hell maybe in the future I'll just give everyone a crypt and combine their bedrooms and their crypt into one.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

my dad posted:

Vertical levels are a thing, why aren't you using them? :( Dorfs aren't too fat to climb stairs, and using the vertical lets you build some really cool stuff.

e: To clarify, these designs may be able to use vertical space, but they use it as a mere connector instead of a dimension of its own.

I'm not sure what you mean besides maybe something like the "living pods" designs, can you elaborate?

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011
It really depends on how the rest of your fortress is laid out, I think. If it's mostly horizontal with a few central hallways, then vertical bedroom or workshop designs are the logical, efficient choice. But if you're like me and build your entire fortress around a giant central staircase, vertical designs just waste a lot of space.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Excelzior posted:

I'm not sure what you mean besides maybe something like the "living pods" designs, can you elaborate?

Ugh, it's actually hard to describe. For example, using stuff like trapdoors as room entrances instead of using doors. Placing rooms above (or below) your hallways can make for a neat visual, and depending on how you do it can be quite efficient. In addition, under-rooms let you lock away a troublesome dwarf, and above-rooms let you protect your dwarf from building destroying menaces.

But the big deal is that trying to think vertically forces you to come up with new ideas. Horizontal room design is pretty much plopping rooms next to a hallway and adding stairs once in a while, and that's really boring.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I don't like heavily vertical designs because moving and seeing horizontally is easier than moving and seeing vertically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Don't forget diagonal movement too. Then you can end up with something like this

code:
#######
#++#++#
#++#++#
###>###
#++#++#
#++#++#
#######
Which I think is the most efficient possible four-tile-room layout that doesn't fill your fortress with swastikas.