Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Tulul posted:

No, it's not art, it's advertising. Disneyland is entirely designed to extract the maximum amount of money from you while you're there. They're not piping cookie scent up to you to enhance your experience, they're doing it to get you to buy a cookie.

It's a little bit of both, because Disney isn't selling cookies, it's selling Disney. They're not making it smell like fresh cookies so you want cookies, they're making it smell like fresh cookies to add to the greater "Disney" experience, because frankly they're not even selling cookies in plenty of places they're emitting that smell. They want you to buy into "Disney." It's just that sometimes "Disney" includes "cookies."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?

Plague of Hats posted:

I'm kind of surprised it's not (as far as I know) Dillons/Kroger store policy that you always wear mesh gloves handling the slicers. The number of stories about missing finger tips that I have heard from my Dillons-employed friend…

Derail~ I was a Kroger produce manager & guy who got stuck with safety compliance stuff, so at least as of 1.5 years ago it absolutely was policy to wear a mesh glove with a disposable glove on top of it whenever you interacted with the slicers in any way, be it cleaning or using them to cut. Same policy goes for if you're cutting fruit/veggies in the produce backroom. I was always really anal about enforcing that, especially after I saw my ex lose a finger tip and ended up passing out on the store floor.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Yeah, I did say that dumb. It's just hard to believe after all the horror stories (and sometimes scar show-and-tells).

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Evil Mastermind posted:

Yeah, I've heard of the movie, but what I've heard wasn't to encouraging. Like they're coasting on the "filmed in secret" factor. Hell, I didn't even know it was supposed to be a horror movie.

Escape From Tomorrow was really disappointing. The concept and the trailer sounded really cool but it ended up being mostly just a nonsensical plot held together by some of the most irritating protagonists ever. It really had nothing going for it other than the daring attempt to film secretly in Disney, a cool idea completely wasted on the actual movie that resulted.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

KittyEmpress posted:

Anyone got any comments on Iron Kingdoms? A local group I'm with is setting up a game for it, and I dunno if I want to commit to going or not, depends on if it's poo poo.
It's really loving great and you should play it.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!

oriongates posted:

Escape From Tomorrow was really disappointing. The concept and the trailer sounded really cool but it ended up being mostly just a nonsensical plot held together by some of the most irritating protagonists ever. It really had nothing going for it other than the daring attempt to film secretly in Disney, a cool idea completely wasted on the actual movie that resulted.

Yeah, this is the only place I've ever heard it described as "decent". Like, the director clearly thinks it's an art film given that it has the required amount of bodily fluids for an art film. And even saying it HAS a plot is a little too generous. About halfway through I went out for a smoke break for ten to fifteen minutes, came back and asked if the movie part of the movie had started yet. My friend watching it told me the only thing that happened was that the main dude cut his toe.

We decided that was probably the most dramatic part of the movie, aside from the obligatory art-film body fluids sequence.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
This older piece on what it's like to play Jack Sparrow at Disney World is a pretty classic piece that seems relevant.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The local season ticket holders are usually just as bad as the employees. You kind of have to be in order to want to go to any Disney park more than once every decade. I'm from Central Florida and I never really thought about it being that weird until I talked to some of those people.

I've always found Disney parks to be depressing because families come from all over the world to have this "magical" experience and they just fight and argue. It really hit home for me when I was standing outside of Star Tours and a British man was laying into his son about buying some overpriced Star Wars toy. At least before that I could just imagine they're also from Florida and just there as a weekend excursion.

Celebration hasn't been brought up and it's really weird. It's Disney's "model city/town/Pleasantville" and it incorporates some of the more reasonable things Walt Disney intended for Epcot when it was going to be a utopian city. It's super white and gentrified, which goes to show you Disney's view on the "ideal community". They even pay people, or at least used to, to walk their dogs in the town center to give it that all American feel.

For those of you not familiar with the original EPCOT, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Experimental_Prototype_Community_of_Tomorrow_%28concept%29 . It's pretty 1960's and reminds me of typical Robber Baron utopias like Fordlandia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fordl%C3%A2ndia .

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
We were actually talking about Celebration around the start of the Disney derail :v:

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Celebration was the cause of it.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Well poo poo, I missed that article earlier. I even went back to those pages and searched for Celebration and it never came up. :suicide:

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
On the subject of 'cookie smell', it's not just Disney that does that. Whenever you pop the top of a jar of instant coffee and get that coffee scent? That's artificial perfume, piped in just before sealing because people react better to coffee that smells strongly like coffee than coffee that doesn't smell like much at all.

Jacque Pott
Nov 6, 2010

potatocubed posted:

On the subject of 'cookie smell', it's not just Disney that does that. Whenever you pop the top of a jar of instant coffee and get that coffee scent? That's artificial perfume, piped in just before sealing because people react better to coffee that smells strongly like coffee than coffee that doesn't smell like much at all.

Yeah, Subway stores do the this too with piping in the smell of freshly baked bread outside their stores to make people want to come in for a sandwich. Well, that is what friends say it makes them want anyway, I always thought it smelled bad; as if someone left a box of frozen pizzas out in the sun.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The first world is a very strange place.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Tollymain posted:

The first world is a very strange place.

Would you say it introduces its own set of problems?

Also hi, lurker here. I don't know what to post that's relevant to tradgames though.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Neither does anyone else. :v:

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

potatocubed posted:

Yeah as I said earlier dyeing foods and artificial smells are on par for a lot of foods.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013

Jacque Pott posted:

Yeah, Subway stores do the this too with piping in the smell of freshly baked bread outside their stores to make people want to come in for a sandwich. Well, that is what friends say it makes them want anyway, I always thought it smelled bad; as if someone left a box of frozen pizzas out in the sun.

Ugh, for real, Subways smell super gross.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

MadScientistWorking posted:

Yeah as I said earlier dyeing foods and artificial smells are on par for a lot of foods.

The difference in color between what I see at the grocery store and the fish market is astonishing.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'm at page 19 of grognards.txt by now and while I can figure out what "swine" means from context, what the heck is "the Forge" and "fantasy heartbreaker"?

On a somewhat related note, I remember playing Baldur's Gate for the very first time when I was all of 12 and having had no idea what actual D&D mechanics were, and the concept of different classes having different amounts of exp required to level up was completely alien to me, as was THAC0 and Vancian spellcasting.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm at page 19 of grognards.txt by now and while I can figure out what "swine" means from context, what the heck is "the Forge" and "fantasy heartbreaker"?

Please don't read grogs.txt, for your own sanity.

The Forge was an RPG design community that was interested in breaking the mould of "traditional" RPG design, and which a lot of indie RPG designers have ties to. A fantasy heartbreaker is a game that is basically a crappy clone of D&D that some guy is convinced is going to be the next big thing because they've never read any RPG except D&D, but it has one neat idea buried in it; it's heartbreaking to see someone put that much effort into a crappy clone of D&D, to seem them know so little about RPG design, and to see that one good idea go to waste.

"Swine" is what creepy fascist RPGPundit calls people who plays games he has arbitrarily decided are not real games because they are not crappy clones of D&D or Amber Diceless.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
A "fantasy heartbreaker" is a game that promises all sorts of things but turns out to be a bad copy of AD&D. WORLD OF SYNNIBAR is a good example. They never sell, waste several years of the designer's life and run down his retirement savings, just so the guy can fulfill his dream of being a Game Designer. A lot of times they are just the gathered house rules to someone's long-running D&D campaign, they often promise "revolutionary breakthroughs" that were invented long ago, the designer is usually unaware of the existence of non-D&D games, and the typical design is "AD&D, but with more stuff" - more spells, more classes, more characteristics, more races, longer equipment charts, more complicated combat system, and so on - just a cargo cult effort to beat Gygax because MORE RULES = BETTER THAN.

There are also "90s heartbreakers" (a vampire clone, or someone trying to make "the WoD done right") which follow the same logic but with White Wolf games. They seem to have faded away, as the D20/OGL movement diverted a lot of these people into publishing their house campaign notes as D20 settings, and I think a lot of people are now publishing their "AD&D only more so" projects as PDFs with a PoD option. Still, in the used section of your FLGS or at dealers room tables at the nearby con, you'll see them sitting there, unloved and priced to move. FANTASY EARTH, SENZAR, DAWNFIRE, TERMINUS V, ARROWFLIGHT, PROTEUS, DARKURTHE LEGENDS, and on and on and on.

The original article which introduced the concept is here: http://www.indie-rpgs.com/articles/9/

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
One of the keys to a true fantasy heartbreaker, as Lemon Curdistan points out, is that they have to contain some small kernel of promise or a really awesome idea. That's what makes them heartbreaking, otherwise who cares.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Kai Tave posted:

One of the keys to a true fantasy heartbreaker, as Lemon Curdistan points out, is that they have to contain some small kernel of promise or a really awesome idea. That's what makes them heartbreaking, otherwise who cares.

Somebody should combine all the cool ideas from all the heartbreakers into a single HIGH LORD BREAKINUS, BREAKER OF ALL HEARTS, :black101: a heartbreaker that would rule over all the others!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Someone brought that Synnibar game to my uni's game group last night. I'd never heard of it, and despite his very impassioned description, it sounded like wacky dogshit from some dude who thought it was more important to make a game where people could laugh at stupid character concepts with too many stats instead of a coherent game that someone would enjoy playing.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Bucnasti posted:

Somebody should combine all the cool ideas from all the heartbreakers into a single HIGH LORD BREAKINUS, BREAKER OF ALL HEARTS, :black101: a heartbreaker that would rule over all the others!

FATAL already exists though? :confused:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Thanks for clearing up that jargon.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Please don't read grogs.txt, for your own sanity.

There was actually a post there that gave me an idea for a scenario (which I'm sure someone has already thought of): the PCs bust into a room, only to find that it's filled wall-to-wall with Orcs (or other appropriate mook) while the door slams shut behind them, specifically locking behind them with an audible click. The DM makes it clear to the players one way or another that there are too many monsters to beat in a straight-up fight.

Once someone tries to pick the lock on the door behind the PCs, the DM does not make them roll for success. Instead, the DM places a die in the middle of the table, say a d6 with 3 facing up. The lock-picker can't fail, but he needs 3 (or however many) rounds of uninterrupted work to pick the lock, and so the rest of the party has to defend him. As a whole round of combat passes, the die increments down by one. If a mook gets through (either literally when playing with a grid/figures or narratively), the counter to unlocking the door goes up instead of down. Adjust as necessary for a Fighter trying to cleave the door open, a techie trying to hack the door open, a tinker trying to unscrew the hinges, etc etc.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Error 404 posted:

FATAL already exists though? :confused:

So, uh, what's your favorite cool idea from FATAL

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Darwinism posted:

:thejoke:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Darwinism posted:

The way that the best combat move is to play a big strong guy, grapple your enemy, and rape them to death (because of the detailed rules centered around the Anal Circumference table).

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Darwinism posted:

Having your friends do a horrendous garbage metal soundtrack for your game.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Bucnasti posted:

Can you make a GURPS heartbreaker?

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Oh HELL no. GURPS is ridiculous enough!

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

You mean RIFTS?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Go back to The Fantasy Trip and build a new game on those foundations.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

gradenko_2000 posted:

There was actually a post there that gave me an idea for a scenario (which I'm sure someone has already thought of): the PCs bust into a room, only to find that it's filled wall-to-wall with Orcs (or other appropriate mook) while the door slams shut behind them, specifically locking behind them with an audible click. The DM makes it clear to the players one way or another that there are too many monsters to beat in a straight-up fight.

Team up with the orcs to find a way not to suffocate as the room slow depletes its oxygen supply. Also every time another unassuming orc enters the room everyone in the room turns and yells, "Don't shut the door! Don't shut the door!" but it's too late.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Error 404 posted:

You mean RIFTS?

RIFTS just takes every setting and saddles them with a terrible system. GURPS tries to be a kitchen sink alternative to other game systems.

EDIT: Maybe someone more knowledgeable of Palladium products can correct me but doesn't every one of their RPGs use the same lovely system as RIFTS with MDC?

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Sep 6, 2014

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

echopapa posted:

I’ve already posted it in the TG Deals and Steals thread, but Galaga Galaxian recommended I put it here, too:

I made a two-page game called ¡Viva San Judas! It’s a political satire in the vein of Tropico, in which politicians scramble to build their reputation as their nation lurches from crisis to crisis. It’s designed for one-shot games. Let me know if you like it!

Hey Echo, I had a question about the game. When a player's action results in a new crisis, are you supposed to just roll a new one, or is the GM just supposed to think of something suitable that might've resulted from the action? I assume the latter, and the example kind of supports this, but it could be the former (a roll of 7,3 "Espionage, Presidential Palace" in the example).

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

RIFTS just takes every setting and saddles them with a terrible system. GURPS tries to be a kitchen sink alternative to other game systems.

EDIT: Maybe someone more knowledgeable of Palladium products can correct me but doesn't every one of their RPGs use the same lovely system as RIFTS with MDC?

Rifts is an distant outgrowth of Kevin's D&D-alike, Palladium RPG, and was a mashup of every game they had printed to that point in time. It's of no relation to GURPS, and Palladium's notion of using a universal system predates GURPS by about two years. All of Palladium's games use the same system except for Valley of the Pharaohs (decades out of print), Recon (originally printed by RPG Inc., uses a wholly unrelated system revised by Erick Wujcik), and of course, Robotech RPG Tactics (uses a new minis system). Most don't use the MDC mechanic, mind, that's only used by Robotech / Macross II, Rifts, and Splicers, the rest only use SDC mechanics (except for the first edition of the Palladium RPG, which only uses hit points, instead). Palladium now refers to it as the "Megaversal" system, but the name hasn't caught on very well.

Of course, Basic Role-Playing is essentially the granddaddy of both GURPS and Palladium, having done a multi-genre game (Worlds of Wonder) using a universal system wayyy back in 1982.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Rifts is an distant outgrowth of Kevin's D&D-alike, Palladium RPG, and was a mashup of every game they had printed to that point in time. It's of no relation to GURPS, and Palladium's notion of using a universal system predates GURPS by about two years. All of Palladium's games use the same system except for Valley of the Pharaohs (decades out of print), Recon (originally printed by RPG Inc., uses a wholly unrelated system revised by Erick Wujcik), and of course, Robotech RPG Tactics (uses a new minis system). Most don't use the MDC mechanic, mind, that's only used by Robotech / Macross II, Rifts, and Splicers, the rest only use SDC mechanics (except for the first edition of the Palladium RPG, which only uses hit points, instead). Palladium now refers to it as the "Megaversal" system, but the name hasn't caught on very well.

Of course, Basic Role-Playing is essentially the granddaddy of both GURPS and Palladium, having done a multi-genre game (Worlds of Wonder) using a universal system wayyy back in 1982.

As someone who never played Rifts, but heard about it, how much of an improvement is it to remove MDC and MD from the game?

• Locked thread