Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

real nap poo poo posted:

Recommendations for a documentary portrait of the life of a highly creative type person? Musicians, painters, one-of-a-kind souls / geniuses of their craft type thing.

Crumb, Cutie and the Boxer, F for Fake (works on multiple levels!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
And Exit Through the Gift Shop, which goes quite well with F for Fake.

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

Exit Through the Gift Shop was alright, not exactly what I'm looking for - Marwencol looks excellent and I'm gonna check out some of the others suggested too. thanks

edit - Marwencol was just wonderful, thanks for the recommendation. What a beautiful spirit

real nap shit fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Sep 4, 2014

FrostedButts
Dec 30, 2011

Gringo Heisenberg posted:

What's a good Sam Rockwell movie? I've seen Matchstick Men, Seven Psychopaths, Moon, Confessions of a Dangerous Mind, Galaxy Quest, Green Mile, Jerry and Tom.

I really dug him in The Way, Way Back as the comical lead lifeguard of a water park who helps a quiet kid come out of his shell during the summer.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

real nap poo poo posted:

Exit Through the Gift Shop was alright, not exactly what I'm looking for - Marwencol looks excellent and I'm gonna check out some of the others suggested too. thanks

edit - Marwencol was just wonderful, thanks for the recommendation. What a beautiful spirit

Yeah. I really don't hope they go forward with the drama film version of Marwencol, like they were planning to do a couple years back.

Dudes!
Apr 24, 2012

P-Zombie posted:

Posted this in the horror thread, but it's probably better put here:

So, for the last few days I have left in the summer before I go back to college, I'm going to countdown by watching a horror movie from every year of the '80s, starting from 1989 and working down to 1981. What I want to know is, what are people from CineD's favorite horror movies, one for each year in the '80s? I need suggestions! (Movies from 1980 are okay, too. I might watch one from that year the morning I go back, if I have time.)

Just Before Dawn is pretty good; especially that final scene.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082592/?ref_=nv_sr_2

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

real nap poo poo posted:

Recommendations for a documentary portrait of the life of a highly creative type person? Musicians, painters, one-of-a-kind souls / geniuses of their craft type thing.

"You're gonna miss me" is about Roky Ericsson who is an outsider artist and allround interesting man.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
So I really enjoy Chow Fun Fat. Are there any unsung films in his catalog that I should see? I've seen the Killer, Hard Boiled, City on Fire, Bullet in the Head, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. Anything else?

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!
If I was to say I loved Moon for the isolation, maybe going crazy, slowly figuring out the twist elements, what would you say I should watch that's a close equal or better?

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Grem posted:

If I was to say I loved Moon for the isolation, maybe going crazy, slowly figuring out the twist elements, what would you say I should watch that's a close equal or better?

Solaris.

harpomarxist
Oct 7, 2007

Useless twat opinions from everybody's favorite British coffee shop revolutionary!
Hi, can anyone help me find a film made in japan from the 1980's onwards that has depicted the poorest in society in a positive way?

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

harpomarxist posted:

Hi, can anyone help me find a film made in japan from the 1980's onwards that has depicted the poorest in society in a positive way?

It's anime, but Tokyo Godfathers depicts homeless characters in a positive way.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

So I really enjoy Chow Fun Fat. Are there any unsung films in his catalog that I should see? I've seen the Killer, Hard Boiled, City on Fire, Bullet in the Head, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. Anything else?

A Better Tomorrow 1 and especially 2.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Skwirl posted:

A Better Tomorrow 1 and especially 2.

Sorry, forgot those, which I'd also seen. Is Let the Bullets Fly any good? How's God of Gamblers?

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Sorry, forgot those, which I'd also seen. Is Let the Bullets Fly any good? How's God of Gamblers?
Let the Bullets Fly is very weird tonally, but I recommend it anyway. Didn't care for God of Gamblers - it's not unwatchable but I couldn't get into it.

Grem posted:

"better" is somewhat subjective, but let's see:
2001, Close Encounters, Source Code, Pi, The Fountain, Black Swan, Memento, Side Effects, Antiviral, Beyond the Black Rainbow

fenix down fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Sep 6, 2014

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
I've seen Two-Lane Blacktop, Easy Rider, Vanishing Point, Electra Glide in Blue, and Five Easy Pieces, and I still have a craving for more late 60s/early 70s road movies (or at least movies where the open road or traveling are prominent motifs). Are there any others I'm missing here?

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

CloseFriend posted:

I've seen Two-Lane Blacktop, Easy Rider, Vanishing Point, Electra Glide in Blue, and Five Easy Pieces, and I still have a craving for more late 60s/early 70s road movies (or at least movies where the open road or traveling are prominent motifs). Are there any others I'm missing here?
This should help:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_4Tiy-5nTs

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Grem posted:

The first half of Oblivion.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

A bit like isolation, but is there any great movies/documentaries that deal with loneliness (and depression)?

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

CloseFriend posted:

Scarecrow, Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore, Bring Me The Head Of Alfredo Garcia, The Last Detail, Badlands, um, Duel? I also hear Wanda talked up as an underrated road movie but it's not one I've seen yet personally.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Holy poo poo this seriously rules.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:

For those who might not know, Rich Hall, the host of this video, was the inspiration for Moe from The Simpsons. He made a half-dozen similar documentaries in recent years and sometimes it's very much like Moe trying to explain America to Brits. It's awesome.

harpomarxist
Oct 7, 2007

Useless twat opinions from everybody's favorite British coffee shop revolutionary!

Meatwave posted:

For those who might not know, Rich Hall, the host of this video, was the inspiration for Moe from The Simpsons. He made a half-dozen similar documentaries in recent years and sometimes it's very much like Moe trying to explain America to Brits. It's awesome.

Rich Hall is good but there is a British road movie and it's stylish, great soundtrack (Bowie, Kraftwerk, Plant), smart and depressingly about travelling to Swindon. Chris Petit's Radio On.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Just watched Oculus and actually quite enjoyed it and would like to check out more movies like it. Seems like there's a lot of these types of movies out there. Can anyone help me separate the wheat from the chaff?

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:
I just saw Tim's Vermeer and really liked it. What are some other documentaries that won't make me feel sad? You know, ones not about dying creatures, human atrocities, or evil corporations. I would like to watch a documentary that makes me inspired.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Grem posted:

Silent Running.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Meatwave posted:

I just saw Tim's Vermeer and really liked it. What are some other documentaries that won't make me feel sad? You know, ones not about dying creatures, human atrocities, or evil corporations. I would like to watch a documentary that makes me inspired.
I wouldn't classify every one of these as "inspiring" - but they aren't the investigative journalism approach you are talking about :
F for Fake, Planet Earth, American Movie, Exit Through the Gift Shop, Finding Vivian Maier, Undefeated, Hands on a Hard Body, King of Kong, Marwencol, Sound City, The Story of Anvil, Being Elmo, Jodorowsky's Dune, Searching for Sugar Man, The Punk Singer, Deceptive Practice, Encounters at the End of the World, Conan O'Brien Can't Stop, Tabloid, Happy People, Life in a Day, 20 Feet from Stardom, Best Worst Movie

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Everybody should watch Tabloid and they should have absolutely no idea what it's about when they do.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

-Blackadder- posted:

Just watched Oculus and actually quite enjoyed it and would like to check out more movies like it. Seems like there's a lot of these types of movies out there. Can anyone help me separate the wheat from the chaff?

Which themes in Oculus did you like? I'm not sure if you just want some good horror recommendations or something more particular. Maybe Ghost Grave Encounters would be one you enjoy?

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Sep 15, 2014

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
It just seemed like one of those new budget horror movies that ended up being pretty decent. I've seen a few of them, like Sinister, Insidious 1 and 2 and a few others that I can't remember off the top of my head. The only ones that I find particularly annoying are the single camera/found footage ones. Thought I might try The Conjuring.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
Yes, definitely check out The Conjuring.

e; I just noticed I accidentally called Grave Encounters "Ghost Encounters" in my last post. That's one you might also like

FrostedButts
Dec 30, 2011

-Blackadder- posted:

It just seemed like one of those new budget horror movies that ended up being pretty decent. I've seen a few of them, like Sinister, Insidious 1 and 2 and a few others that I can't remember off the top of my head. The only ones that I find particularly annoying are the single camera/found footage ones. Thought I might try The Conjuring.

A great one worth checking out is Resolution. It's a semi-found-footage format where one man ventures to his drug-abusing friend living in a dilapidated house in the woods to rehabilitate him. But while staying in the house, a local native american tribe start threatening him to get off his property. The supernatural elements come in to play as strange warnings to the two men in the cabin. And, unlike a lot of these horror films, the characters are actually likable and smart. The spirits at one point haunt their vision by showing them the future of a gang busting into the house in ten minutes to kill them. They naturally decide to leave the house right away. The characters are well-defined, the horror elements kept mysterious and you genuinely care about what's going on.

I talked about this film with Sinister writer C Robert Cargill once and he discussed how he considered Resolution very similar in tone and smarts to his film.

A very underrated horror film that I hope doesn't go unnoticed.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Coherence - Sci-Fi Thriller. Strange things begin to happen when a group of friends gather for a dinner party on an evening when a comet is passing overhead.

Man i loving loved this movie, didn't watch a trailer or read a review prior, and probably a good thing too.
Had me hooked right till the end.

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

Looking for a dramatic films about super wealthy/powerful people's private lives.

To start, I've heard some good (and bad) things about Cosmopolis around CineD so I'll check it out.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

bowser posted:

Looking for a dramatic films about super wealthy/powerful people's private lives.

To start, I've heard some good (and bad) things about Cosmopolis around CineD so I'll check it out.

The Girlfriend Experience would fit.

harpomarxist
Oct 7, 2007

bowser posted:

Antonioni - La Notte

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan

Hat Thoughts posted:

I wanna hear about comedies that you like, but most people don't.

Seconding Rubber, but if there's one movie that really stands out in the "widely despised comedy" genre, it's probably Hudson Hawk.

Also worth a mention is Poolboy 2: Drowning out the fury

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.

bowser posted:

Eyes Wide Shut would work, technically.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

bowser posted:

The Great Gatsby, I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vier
Aug 5, 2007

bowser posted:

Atlas Shrugged ?

• Locked thread