Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
Barney and Robin still get divorced, which was a huge complaint about the last season in that they built up all this good will in telling us why they belong together and what not and have an entire season devoted to the weekend of their wedding, only to have them divorce in the next episode was a kick to the groan.

But yeah, that ending was so much better because of the lack of "Oh yeah, and then your mom is dead"

sbaldrick posted:

You're the Worst had it's single best episode last night, it's so far beyond Married in terms of quality it isn't even funny. They way Gretchen's face moved in the ring scene was good, They way Lindsay died inside every second of the day because she hosed up her marriage and she knows it was amazing.

I just wanted to quote this because it's really a tragedy that such a funny show is riding behind Married. I really hope FX gives You're the Worst a renewal because it's only had each episode get better and better than the previously already great episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Reminder: The final season of Boardwalk Empire premieres tomorrow night on HBO.

The adventures of Nelson van Alden: Bugeyed Psychopath continue!

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

The one thing I feel You're The Worst needs to change/improve is the veteran roommate. Lindsay, Edgar's counterpart in terms of their supporting roles, is a far more entertaining and interesting character.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The super whiney, nasally, British accent is starting to annoy me. It reminds me of the main guy from The Inbetweeners and I hate that guy. It's actually a relief when he's serious or genuinely upset about something.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

soapgish posted:

What is the worst season of SOUTH PARK? It's an awful show for awful, small people who likes things to look like other things, to validate their fart joke belief systems. I lost a toxx, and so whatever is the worst I'm going to endure. Or maybe someone buy me Platinum and I can read precision's post history for the Cliff's Notes.

Season 1 isn't very good.

South Park is a good show - 17+ Seasons and it hasn't grown stale. I'm interested why you don't like South Park.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

CaptainHollywood posted:

Season 1 isn't very good.

South Park is a good show - 17+ Seasons and it hasn't grown stale. I'm interested why you don't like South Park.
It's inconsistent. Trey and Matt have a pretty good sense of comedy and music and so forth, and when they just let themselves have fun they make some good episodes (I haven't seen a lot of the recent seasons, but the vampires/Hot Topic episode comes to mind). Sadly, South Park is a show that often wants to make a statement without having anything interesting to say - their politics range from juvenile to just plain stupid, so when they get political it can be really painful.

This is also why their non-SP projects (Book of Mormon, Team America) tend to be better.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Lugaloco posted:

The one thing I feel You're The Worst needs to change/improve is the veteran roommate. Lindsay, Edgar's counterpart in terms of their supporting roles, is a far more entertaining and interesting character.

Edgar exists in between being a real character and being the writers prop to prove Jimmy isn't a complete douche. Even though the moment where Jimmy after getting his heart destroyed says to Edgar, we'll go tomorrow to the VA to get your meds was a real person moment.

No one's sure about its renewal bit a bunch of TV critics coming to like it can't hurt.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

FactsAreUseless posted:

Sadly, South Park is a show that often wants to make a statement without having anything interesting to say - their politics range from juvenile to just plain stupid, so when they get political it can be really painful.

In all fairness, South Park is a good barometer of how a normal (read: disengaged) person might view a politically charged issue. I mean, if you're a well-adjusted person with a family, a job, friends and hobbies--a life, if you will--do you really care why the Israelis and Palestinians are killing each other this month? Of course not, so your view of the issue is going to be a lot less extreme that those who support one side over the other. South Park goes a long way towards expressing that oft-overlooked viewpoint by simply stating, "both sides are wrong. Find a more constructive way to work out your differences." Which, on its head, is not a bad position to hold.

Irish Joe fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Sep 6, 2014

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

I don't like it when my offensive comedy cartoon show doesn't make the political statements I agree with

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Sober posted:

Oh, so there was an alternate ending to How I Met Your Mother: http://vimeo.com/105404677

The only problem is that with the ending we got, it was set it stone by the creators, and they worked up into it in the preceding seasons since they filmed it. So despite the fact the alternate ending is what everyone wanted ... well I guess you can have that instead.

I'm just going to pretend that was the actual ending because it's so much better than "welp your mom is dead mind if I gently caress aunt Robin?"

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

IRQ posted:

I'm just going to pretend that was the actual ending because it's so much better than "welp your mom is dead mind if I gently caress aunt Robin?"

wait

this is seriously how it ended?

christ

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

DoctorWhat posted:

wait

christ

Yes. How did you miss the fallout from this all this time?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

GreenNight posted:

It's going to kill me when my age catches up to their ages.

I was literally Bart's age when the series started and am now about Homer's age. poo poo's hosed up.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

IRQ posted:

Yeah the ending we got was so stupid in some ways, because they insisted on using something they filmed in case they got canceled 3 years in. But then they went 9 and this would have been the best ending with the way the show did go (I wanted them to introduce the Mother much earlier), but by the end of the final season they just kept piling up setup after setup of the future where she dies just so they could stick to the ending they shot ages ago.

And then they go around and already had this ready JUST IN CASE.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Gonz posted:

Reminder: The final season of Boardwalk Empire premieres tomorrow night on HBO.

The adventures of Nelson van Alden: Bugeyed Psychopath continue!
Looking forward to this, sad about Harrow though. :(

I went and made the Danger 5 Season 2 thread because we're within a month of it coming out (it premiers in two weeks, airs next month) so go and catch up on season 1 (first post of OP) and get ready for some craziness next month.
If a mod is reading, mind if you change the thread title and include the Umlaut in Führer? I forgot it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Trailer Park Boys season 8 has a more progressive and realistic portrayal of a gay couple than Modern Family.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

drunkill posted:

I went and made the Danger 5 Season 2 thread because we're within a month of it coming out (it premiers in two weeks, airs next month) so go and catch up on season 1 (first post of OP) and get ready for some craziness next month.
If a mod is reading, mind if you change the thread title and include the Umlaut in Führer? I forgot it.

Not possible. But what is possible is for people to watch this show, because they can and they should

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

precision posted:

Trailer Park Boys season 8 has a more progressive and realistic portrayal of a gay couple than Modern Family.

I'd love for you to keep telling me about the singular type of gay couple that you believe exists. :allears:

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Deadpool posted:

Not possible. But what is possible is for people to watch this show, because they can and they should

Ah well, thanks anyway. Yes, watch it and you can join in with the rest of us next month in viewing the second season as it airs.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

DoctorWhat posted:

wait

christ

It's actually even shittier than it sounds if you had watched the show with regard to Ted and Robin hooking up again post off-camera random mother death.

I mean, I've given up on planned show endings being any good (Breaking Bad aside), but HIMYM was especially dumb. Not bad enough to piss me off like the oft-cited BSG/Lost endings, just so incredibly, astoundingly, misguided and dumb. Someone else already covered why. The ending would have made sense a couple seasons in, but not after the 9 years or whatever the show aired.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
..then the mother died and Ted lived happily ever after with his first choice.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

JohnSherman posted:

I'd love for you to keep telling me about the singular type of gay couple that you believe exists. :allears:

I don't think that's how he meant it at all. Also he's right because the gay couple in MF are just general flamboyant stereotypes.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Irish Joe posted:

In all fairness, South Park is a good barometer of how a normal (read: disengaged) person might view a politically charged issue. I mean, if you're a well-adjusted person with a family, a job, friends and hobbies--a life, if you will--do you really care why the Israelis and Palestinians are killing each other this month? Of course not, so your view of the issue is going to be a lot less extreme that those who support one side over the other. South Park goes a long way towards expressing that oft-overlooked viewpoint by simply stating, "both sides are wrong. Find a more constructive way to work out your differences." Which, on its head, is not a bad position to hold.

I don't think it's a bad position to hold, I just think that they go down that road far too often and rather than being progressive it makes them seem a little toothless. I understand why they do it though. It's that Daily Show thing of showing that there's idiots on both sides.

As for HIMYM. I think Sepinwall had a great rant about it but they basically shot their ending years ago, and have stuck to it ever since. So while they know the end they've had to twist everything that happens so they can fit it in, which is why Barney and Robin get divorced for no real reason and why after all that time Ted really wanted Robin.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Not sure how I sat through this week's Garfunkel and Oates but that was weird. They always start off really weak and are better in the middle. The songs haven't gotten any better though, they aren't catchy and just feel like observational humour that should only get a few lines and not 2-3 minute songs.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

DoctorWhat posted:

wait

christ

Not technically. The daughter told him to go bang Robin, he didn't bring it up.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Did someone break the forum's CSS again?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Irish Joe posted:

That would be okay if people didn't view them as some kind of genius for coming up with such a novel view for every situation. Also, if they were funny while doing it instead of driving their moral home with the subtlety of a ton of bricks. I guess I just feel like if you're going to do current events-based episodes so often you should have something interesting to say about it, rather than, as you pointed out, something that any old rear end in a top hat could come up with. Then again I stopped watching the show years ago because their humor got boring to me and whenever I catch a random new episode it doesn't do much to make me regret that decision.

Irish Joe posted:

..then the mother died and Ted lived happily ever after with his first choice.

The moral of the story, kids, is to just settle for who you can get, and hope she dies off with enough time for you to get with the one you really love.

DrVenkman posted:

As for HIMYM. I think Sepinwall had a great rant about it but they basically shot their ending years ago, and have stuck to it ever since. So while they know the end they've had to twist everything that happens so they can fit it in, which is why Barney and Robin get divorced for no real reason and why after all that time Ted really wanted Robin.

The problem is that it's still kind of a terrible ending even if the show ended in the first season and that bakery chick wound up being the mother.

To be fair, watching the HIMYM thread's reaction to the ending in real time made it totally worth it though.

raditts fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Sep 6, 2014

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Sober posted:

Yeah the ending we got was so stupid in some ways, because they insisted on using something they filmed in case they got canceled 3 years in. But then they went 9 and this would have been the best ending with the way the show did go (I wanted them to introduce the Mother much earlier), but by the end of the final season they just kept piling up setup after setup of the future where she dies just so they could stick to the ending they shot ages ago.

And then they go around and already had this ready JUST IN CASE.

Wow - the link has already been taken down. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8WbuXY4Iws

I think How I Met Your Mother really showed that TV can be a bit of a double edged sword sometimes. Everyone got mad at Lost because it was clear nothing was planned from the beginning. Then we got something like this that was "planned" and everyone was just as upset if not more.

I don't care how many times it gets brought up but Breaking Bad really set the standard for wrapping things up. While nothing was "planned" the show came to a natural conclusion with organic twists that made sense throughout.

One of the biggest complaints the ending gets is that it's too perfect.

CaptainHollywood fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Sep 6, 2014

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

There's definitely a balance to be struck between having a planned story and improvising. Having a basic outline set up at the outset of your show with some planned beats that you can get to naturally or otherwise alter if the situation demands it is a much smarter way to do it then IT HAS TO END THIS WAY and WE'LL FIGURE IT OUT WHEN WE GET THERE.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
If they REALLY wanted to throw their viewers for a huge loop, they could have had them meet in an unspecified warzone after committing various atrocities that violate the Geneva Convention.

The two of them turning out to be heinous war criminals would have pissed everybody off and would've been talked about for years to come.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The time compression is what really makes the ending bad. Ted meets the mother finally, and she dies in the same episode. They have years together but the audience doesn't see it.

When the daughter is telling Ted to go after Robin, she says the same thing. It's been X years (6, I think?) since mom died blah blah, but for the audience it hasn't even been a minute.

If they had had Ted meet her at the end of the penultimate season and then had the final season be their first months or years together or something with the future stuff being them finding out about and dealing with her condition, even the exact same ending would have been better received.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

A planned ending doesn't matter if it's a piece of poo poo.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Zaggitz posted:

There's definitely a balance to be struck between having a planned story and improvising. Having a basic outline set up at the outset of your show with some planned beats that you can get to naturally or otherwise alter if the situation demands it is a much smarter way to do it then IT HAS TO END THIS WAY and WE'LL FIGURE IT OUT WHEN WE GET THERE.
No, it's simply a matter of creators and writers have a direction they want to take the characters in vs. the fandom screaming when they realize they don't get their way. Finales are always hard to pull off because you want to give the characters some finality or closure but no one really wants to see it end because that's not how real life works, but then people get angry when you don't tie things off neatly (as is the with case of shows getting canceled, etc.), and sometimes they say both of those things in the same sentence and don't realize it.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

CaptainHollywood posted:

Wow - the link has already been taken down. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8WbuXY4Iws

I think How I Met Your Mother really showed that TV can be a bit of a double edged sword sometimes. Everyone got mad at Lost because it was clear nothing was planned from the beginning. Then we got something like this that was "planned" and everyone was just as upset if not more.

I don't care how many times it gets brought up but Breaking Bad really set the standard for wrapping things up. While nothing was "planned" the show came to a natural conclusion with organic twists that made sense throughout.

One of the biggest complaints the ending gets is that it's too perfect.

I think people got mad at Lost cuz the writers always said in interviews that everything was carefully planned from the get go, and it was obvious that the exact opposite was true after all was said and done.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Irish Joe posted:

I get the impression that anyone who wants to sound smart this decade waves the "truth is in the middle!" flag, often without justifying the position or besides vilifying the two sides. To me it's often just a third side that's wrong.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Why do people even slap that poo poo on South Park anyway? I haven't loved the show, ever, outside of the standout episodes (Scott Tenorman, anything with Butters), but it rarely actually pulls "the truth is in the middle", what it usually tries to say is "the truth is that both sides should think about each other a little more because you're just butting heads instead of actually trying to change anyone's mind".

I don't really like those episodes much, but only because they're rarely funny. The Richard Dawkins one was pretty good though.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I'm going insane trying to find this show that used to be on Netflix but now I cannot find anywhere. It was 2 British, or maybe Dutch guys, I think they might've been doctors, and they would travel to local isolated regions and one of them would subsist only on the local diet and the other would monitor his health. They traveled to Siberia, where they stayed with a Inuit/tribal community that traditionally lived off of seal and whale meat but now obesity was rising due to the introduction of cheap convenience food. They traveled deep into Africa where some local hunters caught a clearly sick monkey, roasted, and ate it. They also went to India, and met with the local Rationalists, people claiming that they can do all the 'pain' tricks the gurus do without any mystical b.s just pain resistance, and one of the 2 guys had some spikes pounded through his skin to see how it felt.

I remember the show actually followed the Siberian natives on a whale hunt, but the show cut away and didn't show the killing shot but came back when the whale was being cut up and harvested on the shore.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Well that show sounds really interesting so if you find it let us know. Doesn't ring any bells for me.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

pentyne posted:

I'm going insane trying to find this show that used to be on Netflix but now I cannot find anywhere. It was 2 British, or maybe Dutch guys, I think they might've been doctors, and they would travel to local isolated regions and one of them would subsist only on the local diet and the other would monitor his health. They traveled to Siberia, where they stayed with a Inuit/tribal community that traditionally lived off of seal and whale meat but now obesity was rising due to the introduction of cheap convenience food. They traveled deep into Africa where some local hunters caught a clearly sick monkey, roasted, and ate it. They also went to India, and met with the local Rationalists, people claiming that they can do all the 'pain' tricks the gurus do without any mystical b.s just pain resistance, and one of the 2 guys had some spikes pounded through his skin to see how it felt.

I remember the show actually followed the Siberian natives on a whale hunt, but the show cut away and didn't show the killing shot but came back when the whale was being cut up and harvested on the shore.

Medicine Men Go Wild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Deadpool posted:

Medicine Men Go Wild.

THANK YOU!

edit: Although its now impossible to find for viewing anywhere.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Sep 7, 2014

• Locked thread