Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

NOTinuyasha posted:

I'll make one last post cause this is kind of insulting.

I qualified on the spot for 20% down at 6% and could've driven it off the lot right there, on my own credit. My dad agreed to cosign, same as the first Benz I bought, because it cut the interest rate in half with no downside.

My little brother's Ball Python could get a loan at 20% down and 6%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

My little brother's Ball Python could get a loan at 20% down and 6%.

That's because anyone with a brain buys a HOUSE with 20% down, not a CAR.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

meatpimp posted:

That's because anyone with a brain buys a HOUSE with 20% down, not a CAR.

If I'm putting 20% down, I sure as hell should be getting a better rate than 6%. Regardless of what it is.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Is this a bad time for me to mention that I recently test drove the new C300 and really liked it and really want one?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Cacator posted:

Is this a bad time for me to mention that I recently test drove the new C300 and really liked it and really want one?

Nope, if you can afford is and like it... go hog wild.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Yeah we're only laughing at G55 guy because he's about to pull the trigger on scumbag financing on a basket case of a vehicle he can't afford (presumably because he saw one in a rap video), and got insanely defensive when we said that maybe that isn't the best idea and he should perhaps explore other options.

Noeland
Feb 28, 2006
So I may have killed an OM617 tonight. Going down the highway at 65 mph in the 300SD and I start losing power. Thinking "oh great, my ALDA backed out again" so I give it a little more throttle to see if I can maintain power or if I have to stop on the side of the road to readjust the ALDA. No sooner than I push it a little more does the RPM start bleeding down and the temp gauge starts rocketing. Oil gauge still at 3 bar, then the engine is down to 0, then at 1 bar. I coast to the side of the road, pop the hood and hop out. Open it up to see a very shiny black engine compartment. Oil everywhere, I find the source as the oil cooler inlet/oil pump outlet hose. The rubber hose popped out of the steel line crimped connection and had proceeded to happily drain my engine of its much needed engine oil. Can't be too sure, but I'd be willing to bet my rod bearings are toast. Any thoughts?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Cacator posted:

What did you think of the navigation display? I've only seen it in photos but it looks like they just stuck an iPad on the dash. Does it look better in person?

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Noeland posted:

So I may have killed an OM617 tonight. Going down the highway at 65 mph in the 300SD and I start losing power. Thinking "oh great, my ALDA backed out again" so I give it a little more throttle to see if I can maintain power or if I have to stop on the side of the road to readjust the ALDA. No sooner than I push it a little more does the RPM start bleeding down and the temp gauge starts rocketing. Oil gauge still at 3 bar, then the engine is down to 0, then at 1 bar. I coast to the side of the road, pop the hood and hop out. Open it up to see a very shiny black engine compartment. Oil everywhere, I find the source as the oil cooler inlet/oil pump outlet hose. The rubber hose popped out of the steel line crimped connection and had proceeded to happily drain my engine of its much needed engine oil. Can't be too sure, but I'd be willing to bet my rod bearings are toast. Any thoughts?

Oil cooler line rupture has got to be the #1 killer of OM61X engines. Here's hoping you get lucky.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Mr. Apollo posted:

What did you think of the navigation display? I've only seen it in photos but it looks like they just stuck an iPad on the dash. Does it look better in person?

It stands out only because the rest of the interior is so well put together IMO. However I've been in a CLA a few times so I'm a bit more used to it, but the larger screen you get with the nav package is much nicer than the standard 7 inch screen.

Have some pictures:

Cacator fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Sep 2, 2014

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Cacator posted:

yes, but were you pre-approved at 6% APR with a co-signer and 20% down...? This is important.

Das Volk posted:

I didnt know car dealerships accepted anime wall scrolls as down payments

This post didn't get enough kudos before, I lol'd.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Cacator posted:

It stands out only because the rest of the interior is so well put together IMO. However I've been in a CLA a few times so I'm a bit more used to it, but the larger screen you get with the nav package is much nicer than the standard 7 inch screen.

Have some pictures:

that doesn't actually look that bad, thanks.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
I dunno that screen is ridiculous IMHO. How bright is it at night, can you see anything else in the cabin? If it were a fancy OLED that didn't have any backlight bleed through it might be decent but I'm worried it would just destroy your night vision.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

mod sassinator posted:

I dunno that screen is ridiculous IMHO. How bright is it at night, can you see anything else in the cabin? If it were a fancy OLED that didn't have any backlight bleed through it might be decent but I'm worried it would just destroy your night vision.
I imagine it's like other navigation displays and has a "night mode". I've had a few cars with large navigation displays and when the headlights go on they invert their colors (dark background with light roads) and dim themselves.

All that said it still looks like an iPad stuck to the dash although it doesn't look as bad from the driver's seat.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

sticksy posted:

yes, but were you pre-approved at 6% APR with a co-signer and 20% down...? This is important.

This post didn't get enough kudos before, I lol'd.

As someone who's never bought a new car before, what's a good downpayment % and what's a reasonable APR to go with it?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

awesome-express posted:

As someone who's never bought a new car before, what's a good downpayment % and what's a reasonable APR to go with it?

It's been a long time since I financed a car but if I remember around 10% down and maybe even as low as 5% down was normal, with a 4-6% interest rate was what I saw. This was around 2006 and 2007 and I didn't have much credit history. Depending on the manufacturer and your credit score you can probably find some nice 0-1% financing deals. My parents bought a new VW and were ready to pay in full but got 0% financing for 5 years and are just going to invest what wasn't spent on the car up front.

In general I would put as much down as you can without stretching yourself or your savings. The faster you pay the car off the better.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Topical:

quote:

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/09/02/mercedes-g65-amg-coming-to-america-2016-report/

Similar to the G63 AMG, the G65 is based on the German automaker's iconic Geländewagen, but packs a monstrous 6.0-liter twin-turbo V12 – the same unit that has powered everything from the S65 AMG and SL65 AMG to the previous Maybach and even the Pagani Huayra. In the G65, that gargantuan engine churns out 604 horsepower and 738 pound-feet of torque, channeled to all four wheels through a seven-speed automatic transmission.

The G65 has been on the market overseas since 2012, but was kept away from these shores. According to Automotive News, however, Mercedes will finally bring its most powerful sport-ute to American showrooms. And not a moment too soon, either, as Land Rover just came out with its Range Rover Sport SVR; rivals like Bentley, Lamborghini and Maserati are all working on performance SUVs of their own; and competitors like Porsche and BMW aren't likely to give up fighting, either.

Expect the G65 to launch in the US as a 2016 model with a price tag tipped to top $250,000.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

quote:

Expect the G65 to launch in the US as a 2016 model with a price tag tipped to top $250,000.

Wow, is that the most expensive car that wears the 3 point star badge? I think an AMG SLS GT is only $200k or so.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

mod sassinator posted:

Wow, is that the most expensive car that wears the 3 point star badge? I think an AMG SLS GT is only $200k or so.

It's up there, the SLS Black Series was ungodly expensive, about $300,000 with options. The new S65 AMG is probably $215,000 or so as I know the last generation reached MSRP of about $207,000.

As far as vehicles not brought to the US, the previously posted G63 6x6 is about $500,000 and the electric SLS which this article http://www.gizmag.com/mercedes-benz-sls-amg-coupe-electric-drive/24320/ says is about $535,000 US. I wasn't even aware they made a production electric SLS but there you are.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

mod sassinator posted:

It's been a long time since I financed a car but if I remember around 10% down and maybe even as low as 5% down was normal, with a 4-6% interest rate was what I saw. This was around 2006 and 2007 and I didn't have much credit history. Depending on the manufacturer and your credit score you can probably find some nice 0-1% financing deals. My parents bought a new VW and were ready to pay in full but got 0% financing for 5 years and are just going to invest what wasn't spent on the car up front.

In general I would put as much down as you can without stretching yourself or your savings. The faster you pay the car off the better.

That's good to know. I'm eyeing a 2012 C Class coupe and I was thinking of paying 60% upfront and then financing the rest (far from stretching my savings). Is that a good plan or am I a dumb?

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

mod sassinator posted:

How quickly everyone strives to forget the Merc-McLaren SLR. Which sold for about $455k new.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
I'm a bit curious myself, coming from someone that's only ever had beaters, what's the ownership of a c class like (w204)? Service costs crazy high/need work every two weeks/common failures?

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

HotCanadianChick posted:

How quickly everyone strives to forget the Merc-McLaren SLR. Which sold for about $455k new.

They went north of the $500K mark pretty quickly too. You could probably pick a nice one up for high $100's now so the depreciation is in line with nearly every other AMG (i.e. catastrophic).

Maybe one day when they get cheap enough I'll get one, the styling is radical as gently caress which probably turns a lot of people off. Plus everything I've read makes it sound like it wasn't very good to drive compared to some of the many, many, many other vehicles you could buy with half a million.

I guess I should say ' when they get cheap enough I'll get the rest of one' as I already have the drive train parked in my garage.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

mod sassinator posted:

$0 down and like 2% if you're not a clown with your credit.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Phone posted:

$0 down and like 2% if you're not a clown with your credit.

Isn't it better to pay it off as soon as possible? I'm a total noob when it comes to purchases like this, even though I have a perfect credit rating...

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

awesome-express posted:

Isn't it better to pay it off as soon as possible? I'm a total noob when it comes to purchases like this, even though I have a perfect credit rating...

What other debt do you have? Most recent time I bought a car, I put $0 down and took what would have been a huge down payment and threw it at my mortgage because the interest rate on the car was 2% and my mortgage is circa 4%.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

mod sassinator posted:

Here's a video of somebody driving it at night. About the same brightness as the speedometer/screen whether you like it or not.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CF6u54ekxdY

That car also has the ambient lighting and a HUD. Speaking of which, should I get a HUD? I want to live in the future. Otherwise I would get the "AIRMATIC" suspension which is probably more useful/fun.

Cacator fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Sep 4, 2014

EgonSpengler
Jun 7, 2000
Forum Veteran

awesome-express posted:

Money-wise if you have to choose between a 0% loan and paying a lump sum and the price is the same the 0% loan is the better deal because you can theoretically invest the money you would have spent up front and generate some money from that. Usually though a cash purchase can get a few more dollars knocked off the price, which means the 0% loan isn't technically free.

If you already have a 0% loan the only reasons to pay it off over saving the money are psychological. It feels good to be out of debt, no matter how affordable it is.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Liquidity also has its own value.

Where the gently caress are the G55 pictures?

heated game moment fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Sep 5, 2014

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

EgonSpengler posted:

Money-wise if you have to choose between a 0% loan and paying a lump sum and the price is the same the 0% loan is the better deal because you can theoretically invest the money you would have spent up front and generate some money from that. Usually though a cash purchase can get a few more dollars knocked off the price, which means the 0% loan isn't technically free.

If you already have a 0% loan the only reasons to pay it off over saving the money are psychological. It feels good to be out of debt, no matter how affordable it is.

Also the last dollar you spend to pay off that loan five years from now is worth less than the first dollar you put into it. Typically 0% jobs have a flat monthly loan fee that's rolled into the loan at the beginning, so again, not free money. Watch the fine print.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Cyrezar posted:

They went north of the $500K mark pretty quickly too. You could probably pick a nice one up for high $100's now so the depreciation is in line with nearly every other AMG (i.e. catastrophic).

Maybe one day when they get cheap enough I'll get one, the styling is radical as gently caress which probably turns a lot of people off. Plus everything I've read makes it sound like it wasn't very good to drive compared to some of the many, many, many other vehicles you could buy with half a million.

I guess I should say ' when they get cheap enough I'll get the rest of one' as I already have the drive train parked in my garage.

I heard on a recent podcast that because Mclaren no longer deals with MB the cost of replacing any of the myriad custom hand laid CF parts on those things are quite high even by exotic car standards.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

trouser chili posted:

Also the last dollar you spend to pay off that loan five years from now is worth less than the first dollar you put into it. Typically 0% jobs have a flat monthly loan fee that's rolled into the loan at the beginning, so again, not free money. Watch the fine print.

This can go either way. I've got 0.9% on my CR-V which is drat near close to free - and by financing with Honda it came with an incentive that was a little over double the interest I'll pay over the life of the loan.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

This can go either way. I've got 0.9% on my CR-V which is drat near close to free - and by financing with Honda it came with an incentive that was a little over double the interest I'll pay over the life of the loan.

In Canada companies also have to show what the actual APR is including cash purchase incentives. So a 0% loan may actually be a pretty high 5+% APR if the cash discount is big enough. As an example I got $3500 off the 0% finance price, which works out to an APR of ~9% (using https://www.calculatorsoup.com for this as I haven't looked up the excel formula).

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Twerk from Home posted:

What other debt do you have? Most recent time I bought a car, I put $0 down and took what would have been a huge down payment and threw it at my mortgage because the interest rate on the car was 2% and my mortgage is circa 4%.

I've got zero debt. I'm lucky enough to work in the tech industry while still in my early-mid 20s with 0 obligations besides paying rent. This is veering slightly offtopic, but I'm really fortunate to earn this much cash, but I have 0 idea what to do with it besides letting it go into my savings.

I kinda want a nice car, but I live in a city with great public transportation links... Is my money better off being used to buy property? Hookers? Stocks? idk

awesome-express fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Sep 6, 2014

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

awesome-express posted:

I've got zero debt. I'm lucky enough to work in the tech industry while still in my early-mid 20s with 0 obligations besides paying rent. This is veering slightly offtopic, but I'm really fortunate to earn this much cash, but I have 0 idea what to do with it besides letting it go into my savings.

I kinda want a nice car, but I live in a city with great public transportation links...

Make sure to keep money in savings. Tech booms don't always last, just ask folks who were in Silicon Valley during 2001-2006 or so. That said a C300 isn't too crazy for someone with a good job in their 20's to afford. I would look at a one or two year old certified pre-owned one though personally, something with a warranty but that's already taken a good hit on depreciation.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

mod sassinator posted:

Make sure to keep money in savings. Tech booms don't always last, just ask folks who were in Silicon Valley during 2001-2006 or so. That said a C300 isn't too crazy for someone with a good job in their 20's to afford. I would look at a one or two year old certified pre-owned one though personally, something with a warranty but that's already taken a good hit on depreciation.

Yeah that's my plan so far. I've been looking at a lot of w204 coupes and they're nice with an affordable price tag to boot. Problem is I've never financed anything in my life, just paid off my CC bills on time. This is why I'm confused whether it's better to put down a large downpayment and have the car, which is a financial liability, paid off sooner than being dependent on the dealer.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Since you're young and don't have a huge credit history yet I would finance it with whatever best rate you can get. Then throw extra money at the payments, like pay 2x or 3x the payment a month. If you get a big bonus after a year pay the whole car off. It will be good to show that you had some debt, paid on time, and paid it off early. When I financed my first car I paid it off after a year (on a 3 year loan) and it helped my credit a bit.

Asshole Bicycle
Nov 4, 2007
I've come into a bit of money and I'm looking at a 1982 Mercedes 300TD automatic. It has 190k, and the owner has had it for 17 years. I'm going to look later this week. Are there any problem areas I should be aware of?

EDIT: I'd like to use it as my daily driver. Is this realistic?

Asshole Bicycle fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Sep 6, 2014

blk
Dec 19, 2009

awesome-express posted:

Yeah that's my plan so far. I've been looking at a lot of w204 coupes and they're nice with an affordable price tag to boot. Problem is I've never financed anything in my life, just paid off my CC bills on time. This is why I'm confused whether it's better to put down a large downpayment and have the car, which is a financial liability, paid off sooner than being dependent on the dealer.

Check your FICO score first, you may be farther along than you think. 730+ is top tier for mortgages IIRC. Unless you want some other sort of loan I wouldn't sweat it too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Throatwarbler posted:

I heard on a recent podcast that because Mclaren no longer deals with MB the cost of replacing any of the myriad custom hand laid CF parts on those things are quite high even by exotic car standards.

What podcast?