Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I thought everybody already knew games journalism was corrupt after that Kane & Lynch thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Byzantine posted:

I thought everybody already knew games journalism was corrupt after that Kane & Lynch thing.

Yeah, but that didn't involve a woman having sex which, as we all know, is evil and that woman must be shamed off the internet and life in general

Patchouli Patrol
Nov 11, 2007

This all was pretty reasonable until she hit point number 3.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
e: eh, gently caress it, not really that good of a post.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Patchouli Patrol posted:

This all was pretty reasonable until she hit point number 3.

Sure, I don't want breast cancer, but I also don't want Cyclops to be shamed publicly.

Shut your mouth, this is beautiful

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Prof. Moriarty posted:

My friend, who works a minimum wage job at a chain of hotels, just posted this. I don't know how to gently break it to her that she's not middle class by a long shot and that she should be empathizing and identifying with the situation on the left rather than trying to distance herself from the people she presumably believes to be "the undeserving poor."

My sister-in-law, who has borrowed or stolen tens of thousands of dollars from her family, just posted this poo poo. It's amazing the lengths people will go to make themselves feel superior to others.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Clearly a fan of http://samepicofdavecoulier.tumblr.com/

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Prof. Moriarty posted:

My friend, who works a minimum wage job at a chain of hotels, just posted this. I don't know how to gently break it to her that she's not middle class by a long shot and that she should be empathizing and identifying with the situation on the left rather than trying to distance herself from the people she presumably believes to be "the undeserving poor."

This picture is true! However, it's missing a little information. The left picture should be no job with a family. The right picture is a middle class bachelor. A small amount of food and some alcohol?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Segmentation Fault posted:

Not really. #gamergate started from something different than IRC trolls, and even then it's something a lot more than that now. #gamergate's community condemns personal attacks and death threats of any kind, which ironically have come from almost entirely the SJW side. http://gamergateharrassment.tumblr.com/

Seeing gamers get owned is the funniest loving thing.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

First it was the "Quinnspiracy", then it was the "Game Illuminati", now it's "Gamergate" like this is an actual real scandal. There could be THOUSANDS or even HUNDREDS on the line here if Kotaku gets away with this!

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Segmentation Fault posted:

Not really. #gamergate started from something different than IRC trolls, and even then it's something a lot more than that now. #gamergate's community condemns personal attacks and death threats of any kind, which ironically have come from almost entirely the SJW side. http://gamergateharrassment.tumblr.com/

Am I right in thinking this image is trying to imply that nobody ever creates throw-away Twitter accounts for the purposes of harassing someone?

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Dr Snofeld posted:

Am I right in thinking this image is trying to imply that nobody ever creates throw-away Twitter accounts for the purposes of harassing someone?

Everyone knows that when you want to make a twitter account that's real, you need to submit paperwork 2 years in advance before it's created. That's how you can tell the counterfeit accounts from the real ones.

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

Dr Snofeld posted:

All this #gamergate crap goes back to the point that "these women aren't being harassed because no one would ever go to this effort to harass women, therefore these women are harassing themselves!" Somehow that's easier to believe for some people.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Zoe's just pissed 4Chan have done more for women in gaming than she has. :v:

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Tin Hat posted:

All this #gamergate crap goes back to the point that "these women aren't being harassed because no one would ever go to this effort to harass women, therefore these women are harassing themselves!" Somehow that's easier to believe for some people.

lmfao

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
Gamersgate is a good example of why gamers are human garbage.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

It is kind of incredible that people like Anita have successfully locked themselves into some immovable position of 'authority', where nobody is allowed to be skeptical of them (or their sketchy business tactics) without everyone pinning blame on some blanket group like "gamers."

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

Excels posted:

It is kind of incredible that people like Anita have successfully locked themselves into some immovable position of 'authority', where nobody is allowed to be skeptical of them (or their sketchy business tactics) without everyone pinning the blame on some blanket group like "gamers."
I don't think anyone believes that no one is allowed to be skeptical of Anita Sarkeesian except for these #gamergate goofballs, but this is the "idiots in social media" thread so people are going to make fun of Uncle Gamer's artifacted JPG where he explains that the women are getting uppity and, using the media, have formed a dense conspiracy against the proud male gamer.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Excels posted:

It is kind of incredible that people like Anita have successfully locked themselves into some immovable position of 'authority', where nobody is allowed to be skeptical of them (or their sketchy business tactics) without everyone pinning blame on some blanket group like "gamers."

Show us on the Mii where the feminists touched you.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Hahahahahaha

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Excels posted:

At this point is pretty much trying to argue that maybe something fishy happened during 9/11 you might have some valid points and a well reasoned critique but the crackpots have already smeared their poo poo all over to the point where the signal to noise ratio is astounding.

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
I have no idea who any of these people are or what the situation even is. Sometimes it is nice to be ignorant about things.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Whiteycar posted:

At this point it's pretty much trying to argue that maybe something fishy happened during 9/11, you might have some valid points and a well reasoned critique but the crackpots have already smeared their poo poo all over to the point where the signal to noise ratio is astounding.

that's a perfectly reasonable way to put it and you are right.

Jummy posted:

No one has said Anita is immune to criticism, I'm sorry that lovely criticism gets shot down and that idiot gamers created "gamergate" to try to justify terrible misogyny.

they didn't "create" it, that's just the hashtag they're using for anything related to this ongoing, collective doxxing of the whole indie gaming community.

Excels has a new favorite as of 00:20 on Sep 7, 2014

Jummy
Jun 14, 2007

Oh, my love, my darling.

Excels posted:

No one has said Anita is immune to criticism, I'm sorry that lovely criticism gets shot down and that idiot gamers created "gamergate" to try to justify terrible misogyny.

quote:

they didn't "create" it, that's just the hashtag they're using for anything related to this ongoing, collective doxxing of the whole indie gaming community.
So they didn't create it, they just started it and are using it. Glad that was cleared up.

Jummy has a new favorite as of 00:26 on Sep 7, 2014

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

karl fungus posted:

I have no idea who any of these people are or what the situation even is. Sometimes it is nice to be ignorant about things.

Girl fucks bunch of people for press. Attempts to talk about it gets quashed. This backfires horribly and a bunch of other journalist/indie gaming incest gets discovered. Both sides explode and look like dickheads.

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi
I think they're all loving idiots, hope this helps.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It's possible Anita may have made a couple videos years ago but we can never know for sure

Her main purpose is making gamers mad and I can appreciate that

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
Making gamers mad is a sacred goon tradition, one that extends to the very origins of this website, we should be honoring Anita

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

Slime posted:

This picture is true! However, it's missing a little information. The left picture should be no job with a family. The right picture is a middle class bachelor. A small amount of food and some alcohol?

Right, or failing that what to take away from the meme is the middle class needs to stop spending all its money on wine.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

poptart_fairy posted:

Girl fucks bunch of people for press. Attempts to talk about it gets quashed. This backfires horribly and a bunch of other journalist/indie gaming incest gets discovered. Both sides explode and look like dickheads.

loll

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Small Frozen Thing posted:

Making gamers mad is a sacred goon tradition, one that extends to the very origins of this website, we should be honoring Anita

Problem is that she makes a bunch of goons for real mad, so she's responsible for most of the problems with the video game industry (not all, though).

TrekBek
Mar 27, 2013

slug life

Whiteycar posted:

At this point is pretty much trying to argue that maybe something fishy happened during 9/11 you might have some valid points and a well reasoned critique but the crackpots have already smeared their poo poo all over to the point where the signal to noise ratio is astounding.

This analogy is perfect because both 9/11 conspirators and these gamersgate people are all completely wrong about everything and probably smell.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

MizPiz posted:

Problem is that she makes a bunch of goons for real mad, so she's responsible for most of the problems with the video game industry (not all, though).

oversimplifying large problems and boiling them down to words that sound funny and ironic does not actually lead to people having better, more meaningful discussions.

TrekBek
Mar 27, 2013

slug life
Also, the people her ex-boyfriend (a perfectly rational actor who should be clearly taken at his word) claimed she hosed for reviews never even reviewed her lovely text game. So, either all of this is complete bullshit, or her pussy game is embarrassingly weak.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Excels posted:

oversimplifying large problems and boiling them down to words that sound funny and ironic does not actually lead to people having better, more meaningful discussions.

You are mad at Anita again.

In the Idiots on Social Media thread.

Again.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Excels posted:

That at worst makes her benign.

Though I doubt gamers are really upset she isn't properly giving the issue the attention it deserves.

CharlestheHammer has a new favorite as of 01:40 on Sep 7, 2014

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

that post was directed at the person i quoted, it wasn't about anita. i don't give a poo poo about anita sarkeesian. i've literally never watched any of her youtube videos

but i don't think being flippant and dismissive toward anyone who scrutinizes anita-- or zoe quinn for that matter-- is good either.

if poo poo seems suspicious, people have the right to investigate those suspicions.

Excels has a new favorite as of 01:54 on Sep 7, 2014

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe
"..sewing an atmosphere of conspiracism" is the best sentence I've read all week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Excels posted:

that post was directed at the person i quoted, it wasn't about anita. i don't give a poo poo about anita sarkeesian. i've literally never watched any of her youtube videos

but i don't think being flippant and dismissive toward anyone who scrutinizes anita-- or zoe quinn for that matter-- is good either.

if poo poo seems suspicious, people have the right to investigate those suspicions.

People also have a right to make fun of them for being suspicious assholes as well.

Its almost like rights don't mean poo poo on an individual level.

• Locked thread